Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Private 
for @Erzulie since we are wrappin others

The trip to the cliffs had gone well, and despite being weary on the return, Rosalyn had been pleased with the questions their daughter asked.  Nieve was a credit to them both and now, with Reyes returned, it felt fortune was smiling on them once more.

It was twilight, and she stood near the edge of the forest, watching the stars overhead.  She'd never been much interested in them before, but she could recall a shape or two, the ones that had led her home on occasion.  

She breathed a sigh.  It would be nice if time could stop here, for a while.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
reyes was returned, and erzulie was settling into the more comfortable pattern of accepting that her too-early dispersed brood would perhaps be forever cursed to return to the shoreline, the plateau, and their mothers. only marisol had made no reappearance, though she did not like to think of that. 
she found her wife stargazing, and sidled alongside rosalyn, her own eyes lifted to the heavens.
[Image: F0ZZHqZ.png]
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn heard and recognized Erzulie sidle towards, so did not bother to lower her gaze.  Instead she breathed out and watched as the mist rose in front of her muzzle.

What do you think of Hua and her sisters?  Rosalyn asked at length, wanting her wife's stance on a subject that weighed mildly on her.  She wasn't yet sure of her opinion, only her worries.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
"i t'ink dat dey are more loyal to one anot'er den to rusalka," the harlot answered directly, simply. she had seen them interact, had heard how highly regarded each was among the others. "if one goes, dey all go." lips pursed.
"i could make an example out of one of de sisters," she ventured, though she truly enjoyed ying. "provoke dem into showing who dey truly are."
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn nodded.  She got the same feeling, but her own thoughts were more paranoid than that.  They seem restless, and more of their family came.  Some who can't even speak with us.  Normally Rosalyn didn't mind language barriers, but when they came with ambition, she tensed.  A week ago I didn't want it, but I like our family's place here.  I don't want to see it shaken. 

She did not think they would leave; she guessed they might try to rise.  What kind of example?  Rosalyn did not know what sort of relationship Erzulie had with them, so did not know what she had in mind.  Violence would be hard to explain, and perhaps too far against a packmate.  But they held their rank still; some measure of power came with that.  They could use it if they wished, before it was too late.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
she purled thoughtfully deep in her throat, blinked toward the distant coastline. "ying be tellin' me de seas calls to she an' her sisters," came her musing, "but dey have been fightin' up de ranks."
a thought then; she turned darkly to her wife. "if we do not drive dem out in some way, dey will come for us, an' aningan too."
rusalka had been at peace too long, it seemed. "i would not hurt any one of dem. dey are dutiful for now. but we must know for certain." 
mei was the lowest ranked. no one would think anything of it were one of the new leading she-wolves forced her to submit.
no one, save for her sisters.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Hmm.  Despite that, there was nothing stopping them attempting to pull the pack with them.  They did not know it; had not bothered to know their children.  They were coming to a space well formed and attempting to jettison their way to the surface with little care towards those already in their path.

She'd promised stability and she would try to keep it.  I do not like these challenges, she said, voice clipped.  At least in Ironsea we announced, allowed the crew a say.  It was one of a few aspects of Smokestep's regime she'd come to fully respect.

We will do it, she resolved, and an anticipatory gleam caught her.  They cannot deny our right to it.  We can even do it the Ironsea way.  It would reveal them.  Let them come.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
been trying to reply to this all day smh

ironsea.
it had been theirs. and the name of it curled pleasantly into her ears. damn the bear that had taken the sea from them, damn him to shit and to blood.
eartip flicked thoughtfully. rosalyn had presented a cunningly intriguing proposition, and the harlot wondered if she knew it was because erzulie could not refuse such.
of course the pirate knew.
she turned her muzzle to rosalyn, the two of them half-bathed in starlight, a wry smirk upon her dark lips.
"when shall we do dis, captain?"
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
The 'captain' brought a smile to her and a glint of rememberance.  Times had been simpler, but it seemed they were on the horizon of happiness once more.  

Rosalyn wondered.  When would be the best time to achieve what they wanted? Soon.  If they waited too long it might be too late, they needed to test before the sisters could turn any in the pack against them.  She didn't think it would be possible, but who knew? Aningan was eager to please, Raleska was vulnerable, and Reyes was returned but distant.  Their place could easily slip if too many words were spoken.

Tomorrow? Why wait?  As of now, it seemed nothing stopped them.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
"what will aningan make of it? dat ying woman," and she trailed away, for erzulie knew rosalyn had seen it. they had spent too long in rusalka not to know its goings-on, and they were too old to be wool-covered. unlike their sweet boy-king. aningan was not a fool, but he was young.
a lash of her tail. "we do not want to enrage him on deir behalf."
scheming, determined.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn did not know Aningan as well as Erzulie did.  She'd missed much of his time here.  He is soft. She said, thoughtfully.  I don't think he will like thinking badly of them, but I also don't think he will defend them against you.  Not if they challenge us.  

That estimation would change with an encounter in only a few short hours, but at the moment, she was fairly confident.

Thoughts of their leader led her along the paths her mind had tread often these past few days.  As they were already conspiring, what was one more?  I've been thinking, with Aningan... how do you think the pack would feel about going back to the sea?  She had seen the look in Erzulie's eyes at the coast, but she wanted to know the whole of it, away from Nieve.  They had shared experiences it was hard to know of from the outside, and this discussion seemed better suited to now and here.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
she had her doubts about aningan. the boy was certainly soft toward she and her wife, but men were not reliable, especially in the new season. she kept misgivings to herself, eager to move beyond them toward an easier topic. "i am not sure de sea calls to all of us," erzulie mused regretfully. "some of de ot'ers might go. raleska comes to mind."
she nuzzled idly at her wife's neck. "what is in dat head of yours, rosalyn?" she inquired, content, fulfilled, satisifed simply to exist in the pirate's presence.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
What she said resonated with Rosalyn.  It was something that had been niggling at her for some time, and while she hadn't wanted to hide it, she hadn't needed to speak it either.  She knew they felt it, both of them.  Now seemed to be the time to have the conversation.

It doesn't call to me like it did, she confessed.  I used to not imagine living away from it, and now when I look, it just... isn't the same.  There was a little regret.  Her connection to the waves had once meant more to her than anything but, she supposed, it wasn't the worst she had bigger things in her life now.

I don't think that's the case for others.  We aren't meant to be an inland pack, and everyone would be happier on the shore.  We could take them there.  She smiled, and nosed her wife's cheek.  But I don't want to go back to the grotto.  She can keep it.  She'd told Erzulie of Caiaphas' death (bts if that's ok <3) but still felt she'd poisoned that place.   There were better places.... like the cliffs.

But here she was unsure.  The cliffs are beautiful, and protected, and we could take them.  But I know how you feel about them, and I don't want to settle in a place that doesn't feel like home.  She looked at her carefully. If Erzulie felt nothing but hatred there, then they could choose another place.  It would set her at ease, she thought, to reclaim the place that had torn them asunder.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
erzulie expected more reaction from herself when rosalyn revealed she no longer felt the sea was home. but she supposed her wife had many reasons to feel such a way, and could fault her for none of them.
a rare flurry of words for the pirate. her rugged mate had always been the more reticent of the pair, a quiet observer. 
she missed nothing, the harlot thought with an inward smile as rosalyn pressed on. she was right to leave the grotto to the ghost of the old seawitch, and a song of grief responded in her veins to the memory of caiaphas.
the cliffs. amusement faded, and she was still for a long breadth of moments. drageda was a cursed place. who could know what ghosts they might leave behind? but there was a satisfying nature about what rosalyn implied, something that appealed to her more vengeful nature. "how long have you t'ought of dis?"
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
A while.  She replied, still watching.  Erzulie had been silent a moment, and while she hoped that her wife agreed, she also hoped she did not.  She'd seen how this place sat restlessly on her; when they left, it would not be to go to the same.  

I wanted to be sure.  When we visited, I thought it would be different.  All I felt was relieved.  She had said as much that day.  Seeing it empty, and being there with you, makes it more sure that it is done.

She guessed that it likely wasn't the same for Erzulie.  What do you think?  Usually she was less introspective than this, but this was too important for half measures.  No matter how some of them might yearn for the sea, a move would not be easy.  The call was not exactly theirs to make.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
a long pause, but one warm as she turned mintglow eyes upon her wife. "i t'ink you are my home, an' where you go, i will find contentment." she would never love the cliffs, that much was known, implied in her very response. 
but rosalyn was the abiding love of her eternal soul. 
"where you go, i go," came her further response, lightened by the glint of her smile.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn's gaze lingered, and for a minute she turned thoughtful.  That wasn't the answer she'd hoped to hear, but it was the one she wanted.  It would be selfish of her to look to a place where they both wouldn't be happy, and while she knew it would give her peace, for how long?  Once the novelty wore off, would she sleep soundly in the cliffs? Or perhaps her nightmares would return.

Maybe it was better to leave them empty.  Maybe back where we began, she said with a small laugh behind the words.  I imagine the monster is long dead.  There'd been a pack there, last she knew, but in the chaos perhaps they'd fled.  It was another thought... another coast.

Or perhaps someplace new altogether.  So many choices, and maybe for nothing.  Maybe after we see how this next part is.  Who knew how their plan would go.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
wrap up? we need a new one v v v soon <3

she smiled. "i would like dat."  whatever they chose would be decided together. and this monster; may it be laid to rest forever. erzulie straightened, shook out her spiced hackles. "when spring comes, you an' should take a trip along de coas'," she suggested lightly. it had been too long since the pair had heard the lapping of the surf in an unchaotic situation.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
We should, she responded, and found she did look forward to it.  Perhaps her despondency was just a lack of time to appreciate the beauty of it.  So many times recently everything involving the coast had been turmoil.

She allowed Erzulie to lead and they settled for the night, though she'd think a while more on their spoken plans before she actually fell asleep.