Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
vague about a lot of things but I couldn't resist

They had another new recruit, but this time of her wife's choosing.  This made Rosalyn keen on seeking @Harps out to learn more about the girl than what Erzulie had briefly told her.  

It wasn't a desire strong enough to call for her, but she kept an eye out for her as she went.  A lot was changing in Rusalka and even Rosalyn was hard pressed to keep up.

Today a quiet walk was warranted.  She started along the river and then cut east.  If she could, she'd leave for a bit, scout out and see if a herd was nearby.  No matter what state the pack was in, they could hunt together.
63 Posts
Ooc — Kat
She was more or less familiar with the territory's outer contours, so now Harps turned her attention to its interior. She started by familiarizing herself with the caches, another new concept to the pack newbie. Storing meat for later consumption was something she had never done as a nomad. Honestly, it was difficult to resist the sight of food when she visited a stockpile. Some deeply rooted impulse told her to consume all the meat and not let it go to waste. Of course, it would be eaten before it rotted, by another, higher-ranked pack mate. Maybe she was welcome to dip her hand in the proverbial cookie jar, though Harps feared reprimand. There was nothing scarier than the thought of being thrown out so soon after acceptance and the yearling would do whatever it took to avoid that possibility.

Harps reached the final cache, positioned not far from the border over yonder. She thrust her muzzle inside and found it replete with smells, yet largely empty. There was only a scrap of crusty old rodent in here. Maybe it wasn't even part of the pack's stock but a pest which had happened to die here. Harps licked her chops, hesitating, then gulped it down before backtracking from the empty stash and looking around almost guiltily.
nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
The huntress walked through the territory, snout held down against the snow. She was looking for a trail that she could follow in hopes of bringing something back to the pack. Things had been tense lately but it was nothing that a good meal couldn't fix...right?

Ahead was Rosalyn, a familiar red smudge. She yipped a few times in greeting as she moved to stand at the Beta's side. They hadn't interacted much, and the times that they had spoken weren't necessarily pleasant. Ying wasn't keen on intrapack rivalries; if forcing a relationship was the only option, well, What you doing?
[ hover for translations ]
sequoia coast · open for threads (3/5)
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
A conversation with Aningan had put she and @Erzulie's plans on a brief hold, but that didn't mean Rosalyn was pleased to see Ying.  Their first encounter had rubbed her the wrong way, and while she typically reserved judgement, she also trusted her gut. 

She took it upon herself to join her and offered no words of greeting, only some announcing barks and a curt question.  Rosalyn turned to look at her with a clear excuse me look and a pause, then relented.  I was going to scout herds. She replied.  And you?  Ying is your name, yes?

They'd never been introduced and had no familiarity yet, but a welcome distraction came in the form of a shape standing over a nearby store.

And you are Harps? she called over, figuring this could be a two for one.  She wouldn't mind company, or the chance to pry at both and see what sort of mettle they had.
63 Posts
Ooc — Kat
She jumped at the sound of her name, tail immediately going limp and starting to curve between her hind legs. Simultaneously, she swiveled toward the unfamiliar voice only to find Ying and a dark stranger lurking nearby. The yearling's lips parted as she took in the latter's tattered appearance. She looked like a warrior who had seen many battles.

It must've been her voice, since Harps knew Ying's distinctive timbre by now. Harps bowed her head to both, creeping closer and wondering if she should apologize for snapping up the rodent. Neither superior looked angry with her. She decided to keep her mouth shut unless they questioned her about it.

Abruptly, she remembered that she'd been asked a question. "Yes, ma'am," she blurted, resorting to the title she'd always used to placate a particularly irritable Spur, "I'm Harps." She paused awkwardly before adding, "Nice to meet you."
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Rosalyn's attitude didn't appear to have faded. She carried herself with an air of importance; she was an elder and a leader, so it made sense. Ying was careful to mind her manners, keeping these two facts in mind. Yes, she replied, still oblivious to Harps's presence, I hunt. I will help? 

Oh! she gasped, then noticing her friend. Ying walked a few steps ahead of Rosalyn to brush shoulders with the girl, turning back to her superior with a wide smile. Erzulie had probably mentioned the border scuffle, but bringing it up again wouldn't hurt. She fight this man with me and Er-zoo-lee, so much help. Ying turned back to Harps and winked, grin still plastered onto her maw.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Not a hunt, she wanted to correct, but she tempered the response.  She knew that particular irritation was unfounded - the language wasn't natural to them.  She'd hold herself until the time came, but until that day, she'd give the respect they deserved as pack.

Harps, to her credit, introduced herself much more effectively.  Rosalyn had never stood much on ceremony with crew, but that was after loyalty was proven.  Until then, she knew that to not draw a line was to invite any young blood with a hot head to attempt a coupe.  

Harps, she greeted her, noticeably warmer in tone.  My wife told me about you.  How are you finding the pack so far?  The fight wasn't news to her, but she hadn't asked for many details.  Sorry to have missed it, it sounds like my sort of party.  She smirked, knowing she looked the part far more than actually was true.  She could fight, but rarely fought fair and preferred to give an opponent a nice view of her tail as she disappeared.
63 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ying's friendliness earned a smile and a wiggle of the yearling's tail. She felt a little bashful at the praise, especially since she hadn't really done much, but she didn't refute it. Harps dipped her head in acknowledgement and returned the nudge, before returning her attention to the darker woman.

She didn't offer a name, nor did she give the name of the wife she mentioned. Harps had some guesses, though she bit her lip uncertainly. Would it be awkward to ask for both? Her copper eyes skipped back to Ying for a second, comforted by the brief but solid familiarity, before deciding to start by answering the questions put to her.

"I've just been trying to get familiar with the borders and the caches," she said, "since I've never really dealt with either. I grew up a nomad," Harps explained. "It's pretty novel, having a home base like this. We have land, food, company. It feels..." She trailed off as she tried to come up with a way to describe the sense of insulation she experienced here. "I guess it feels like home." She laughed self-consciously, thinking of all those months on the road. "I never want to leave the plateau now."
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
The guardian turned away from Rosalyn and Harps to release a long exhale. She was quick-tempered and somewhat hot-headed, but Ying knew to mind her manners. The moral code of her people was deeply ingrained into her mind; although she wanted to question the Beta's behavior, she held her tongue, knowing that it was not her place.

This wasn't the same situation as it had been with Nieve. Rosalyn was an elder and ranked as such, whereas the girl had been a child playing a woman's role. Ying would have to be more conscious of her person.

She listened to Harps explain and smiled despite her confusion. No-mad? she asked, What is no-mad? Ying enjoyed learning this language; unlike her sisters, she found it to be quite enjoyable. You are happy here, good.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
That is good, she replied, with a small laugh.  Our family is growing, but this is a good thing.  She gave a glance at Ying, then back.  My name's Rosalyn.  I am a second here, along with Erzulie.

She fell silent and allowed Ying to ask her own questions and get an answer.  She knew what the words were, but the question was for Harps.  She would have liked to hear more about her travels... the way she spoke of not knowing a place reminded her a bit of a younger self and only served to make her like the girl more.  She would do well here.
63 Posts
Ooc — Kat
"My family traveled, never settling down anywhere. This is the first pack I've ever been a part of," Harps explained to Ying before turning back to Rosalyn, grateful to have a name now. "So you and Erzulie are together then." It was less a question than an observation pieced together with strong contextual clues. "And... Aningan is the Alpha, right? Is he the only one?" There were so many wolves here, she wasn't entirely sure she could keep track of them all, but Harps would certainly try.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Internally, Ying released an obnoxious laugh. Rosalyn didn't seem too excited about Kun Kun coming to join; what was different about Harps? She didn't want to be like Mei and assume that it was prejudice, but the thought seemed to creep in anyway.

Just him, she replied. It seemed odd that he would rule alone. Aningan didn't seem like an Alpha, and from her experience, he didn't act lke one, either. Why hadn't anyone stepped up? He is very nice, Ying added, forcing herself to withhold further praise.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
We are, she replied.  Ying tossed on a few more thoughts about Aningan, one of which Rosalyn internally laughed at herself.  Aningan was more than nice; she'd rarely met a wolf with less aggression.  He reminded her of someone she'd known a long time ago, though she couldn't quite bring herself to call him "kitten".  

Travelers?  I'm betting you come with some stories then.  What places were your favorite?  This wasn't an interview, but she was interested in hearing what sorts of places her family was from.  North or south? Coasts or mountains?  More important, how did the plateau measure up?  Though this was a more recent reason to ask.
63 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ying answered her question about the leader, confirming that he was the solitary Alpha. Harps smiled and suppressed a chuckle at the woman's rather bland descriptor of Aningan. She remembered bumping into them (not quite the same way they'd bumped into one another) and sensing the tension between the two. Of course, she didn't mention that now, though she shot Ying a sort of furtive grin.

Rosalyn wanted to know more about her travels, specifically, some of her favorite destinations. "Oh..." the yearling breathed at the sheer enormity of the question. She had been many places, seen so many things, it was hard to pin down even a few she would call favorites. But Harps didn't expand on her reaction right away, instead sticking her tongue into her cheek and giving it a good, long think before answering.

"I've always been partial to the coast," she said, "but there's one place I liked better than any beach I've ever been to. Have either of you ever seen a waterfall?" Harps queried, copper eyes flicking between Rosalyn and Ying, bright and eager.
Members of Rusalka are welcome to power-play Harpsichord (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not she's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
The grin was noted with a small giggle. It felt strange to have a confidante outside of her family, and although Ying had not chosen Harps for the role, she was glad to know that it was occupied. I love the beach! she replied, tail beating behind her, I think...Rusalka is at the beach, before I join. A glance was turned to Rosalyn for clarification. 

Then, somewhat abashedly, Ying admitted, I never see a waterfall before. She might have, maybe once or twice, but didn't have any distinct memories of one.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Such a theme!  She wondered if she'd ever ask that question and not hear the same answer.  Rosalyn remained a tad quiet as they spoke of the coast, and let them finish before adding her own answer.

I have, a few.  One large one, when I came here for the first time.  It was one of few clear memories she had from that time, 4 or 5 years ago now.  Had she met a wolf there?  She couldn't recall, but she remembered the sight and the sound of it.
63 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ying had never seen a waterfall, though she made a passing comment that Harps noted to ask about later. Rosalyn, on the other hand, mentioned seeing several in her day. She said at least one of them had been large and her phrasing led the yearling to believe it might be somewhere nearby.

"Where is it?" she couldn't help but ask before remembering to elaborate. "There's this place, it's not actually that far from here. It's called Thief River Falls. It's this big plateau, similar to this one, with a river that falls over this cliff. It's huge. It's incredible. There's a pack that lives there too, led by a really cool old lady called Bones."
Members of Rusalka are welcome to power-play Harpsichord (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not she's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
It was a ways south.  she said, smiling a little apologetically.  I couldn't tell you exactly where, that was years ago.  She'd mostly stuck to the beach, but when she'd occasionally range inland, she'd seen more than a few impressive sights.  

Thief River Falls, and led by a woman named 'Bones'?  They sound like the kind of crew worth knowing.  If they weren't some kind of pirates Rosalyn would eat her tail.  How long did you run with them?  That would perhaps explain why she was here.  Like tended to find like.
63 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Rosalyn seemed genuinely interested in Thief River Falls and Harps grinned, happy to regale the Beta with her tales of that particular pack. They hadn't spent much time there—they'd never spent much time anywhere—and had never been part of the pack officially, though Harps would never forget Bones and her brood of mischievous scalawags.

"We never joined the pack, though we spent about two weeks in the area. They didn't seem to mind having some stragglers hanging around. They even invited us to feast after one of their hunts. They were kind of a ragtag group, though they had hearts of gold," Harps shared, her copper eyes shining with the memory.

Then another resurfaced and the yearling snorted. "My sister, Lele, and I both developed a crush on one of Bones's grandsons. I actually forget his name now." She ducked her head with a quiet laugh, then looked back to her (hopefully riveted) audience. "That was one of the very few times—maybe the only time, actually...—the two of us ever argued."
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
A good crew then.  Some pirates were not, but the ones Rosalyn had led had always stuck to a code.  It wasn't perhaps moral by some wolven standards but it at least wasn't the crew she'd grown up a part of.  Evil could take many forms.

It was odd that they'd feast with outsiders; perhaps the girl's family had a tie.  Or perhaps they were just softer in a location with plenty to offer.  Either way, this was interesting news to her.  

It sounds like you were close.  Your sister did not wish to come here with you? she asked.
63 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ying remained silent, though Rosalyn pressed for more details about Lele. Harps could only smile fondly as she thought of her older half-sister, though there was a flicker of pain in her copper eyes at the latter question. "Yeah, we were," she said, feeling a little pang at the past tense. "We were a united front while our parents duked it out constantly, hence why the two of us rarely argued. There was enough of that going around already, you know?"

She paused, looking down and scuffing a pale forepaw in the snow for a moment before saying, "Lele didn't want to leave them, despite that. She'd been with them for two years—her whole life—and even though she knew it was toxic and everything, she wouldn't come with me when I said I was leaving. She supported my decision but she just wouldn't..." Harps trailed off there, feeling a tightness in her chest.

Suddenly self-conscious, she became a little flustered as she said, "I don't mean to ramble on. Um," Harps faltered for a beat before glancing between Rosalyn and the now taciturn Ying, "I was just trying to get a feel for the territory when I bumped into you two. I should get back to it, unless there's anything I can help with?" Her eyes lingered on Rosalyn, wondering if the two had been doing anything in particular before she'd bumped into them.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Having a united friend like that would breed closeness, and Rosalyn estimated it must have been hard to leave such a thing behind.  Fortunately she was not lost, so there wasn't a lot of danger in Harps disappearing to seek her.  Perhaps this Lele would change her mind and follow.  The mere fact that Harps was adrift made Rosalyn more sympathetic to her and more keen on her welcome.  Misfits had always made the fiercest family.

No, I'm sorry for distracting.  But if you need anything, please, don't hesitate to ask.  Rosalyn gave the girl a warm smile, then looked at Ying.  The woman had been silent, but the Beta hadn't exactly invited her to speak.  Now was her chance, but before she did so, the woman was already turning away.  She assumed any words would be for Harps and not herself.
63 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Harps waved her tail and shook her head lightly at the leader's apology. Although there was much to learn and do now that she was part of a pack, her primary objective was to forge bonds with her pack mates. She liked to think they'd done just that today. Rosalyn's friendly reminder warmed her and she murmured a quiet, "Thank you," as the Beta turned to go.

Ying departed in a different direction, leaving Harps to return to what she was doing before they'd come along, which was... oh. Harps's tail drooped a little as she remembered her raid of the stash. To soothe her guilty conscience, she decided she would attempt to hunt some small game. In fact, she wouldn't let herself off the hook until she replaced that crusty half a rodent with two fresh kills.