Hoshor Plains Did everyone see that? Because I will not be doing it again.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
All Welcome 
Set for Feb. 7th (Friday); he's due-north of the claim and heading towards Razorback Ridge.

Reyes had sought out his sister Nieve after being given the task by Erzulie, but he must have waited too long and been too distracted with his preparations in the days that followed, because he could not find her. It did not matter too much; he knew she was a budding scout and that her own duties to their family were important, so he did not look too hard for her.

When he departed he followed the river and moved south. He knew he needed to cross in to the mountains to seek what he was after. Erzulie had sent him to find the bark of a cherry tree, but also to do some reconnaissance - so when the river brought him to the ascending plains and the foothold of a pack, he lingered a little bit. The bark would still be viable even if he took his time; he wanted to do a good job and earn the praises of his mothers after all.

That said, Reyes wasn't the most adept scout. His level of ambassador training was nowhere near what was required of Nieve; he held little to no interest for the pack's actual boundary nor of the people living within its claim, as they were not Rusalkan and thus not worthy of his time. Still, he needed to bring something back to Erzulie - thus the lingering. His path towards the mountains would take a few hours to hike, and in the interim he tread very close (or directly upon) the same trail of the resident pack's guardians, as if tempting fate.
I'M JUST A BELIEVER THAT THINGS WILL GET BETTER
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Evergreen isn’t in perfect condition like he used to be, but he’s better and that’s what matters most.
Recently, he has taken back to his usual duties. It feels nice—since he cannot fish around the Plains, he can at least patrol as he used to. It is easy, too.
Hoshor Plains brings about both an advantage and disadvantage; hard to miss someone, but also hard for them to miss you. Eve sticks out akin to a sore thumb. His massive, bearish bulk is a beacon on the horizon. He fits with the bison herd that @Winterbourne found recently.
So when he actually spots a streak of burnt red parallel to their borders—closer than comfort—the bearish Knight is quick to react. His steps are sure with posture high—asserting the claim of Kaistleoki. No attack, however, comes aimed towards the young traveler.
Hi, he greets, You’re, uh… a bit too close to our territory. What brings you here?
Working on wrapping up current threads!
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Before long something manifests along the plains. Where the white-gold of the snowed grassland terminates against the moody grey sky, there comes a shape larger than anything Reyes had previously seen. It is canid, most assuredly, but he thinks for a moment it might be something more than that: part bear maybe, or part bison (though he has yet to see a bison close-up). Either way it is unnerving to see the shape coalesce and advance upon his position. He thinks hastily of what to do as it approaches, wanting to simultaneously fight or flee - but instead of either, he stops his ambling and stares.

When the wolf encounters the claim's edge they stop too, and Reyes looks him over before averting his gaze. His attention is wholly focused on this gargantuan creature all the same, but he knows to be deferential and to avoid direct eye-contact on the initial approach. No need to piss off someone that big after all. Flashbacks to his childhood and to Vengeance, to Verxingetorix, to the inadequacy of feeling so small.

Reyes knows he's close to their territory so the comments don't shock him. He's more intrigued by the lack of follow-through by the monster of a wolf, and when he gathers enough courage to face him and to speak his own peace, there is an edge to his tone. The boy knows he's hopelessly outmatched if this guy chooses to bare fangs against him, but Reyes cannot help but be a little bit pugnacious, at least to prove to himself he's not some yellow-bellied wuss.

I'm headin' to the mountains. Smelled the border, ain't gonna cross it - scout's honor. He explains, not going in to detail about his intended quest or his target, as it didn't really matter. A beat later he adds, What's this place called anyhow? He wants to snipe at him about how stupid it is that there's no cover, that it's so open, but deep down Reyes is honestly a little bit jealous; he likes how open it is opposed to the dense forest of the plateau, so he holds his tongue.
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
I love your imagery! Always inspirational. Sorry for the delay, took a bit of a break.

Awkward the fumbling of words spill from the bearish wolf. Far less imposing than his bulk is his attitude, though the mercenary ties for Evergreen aren’t to be underestimated. His mismatched gaze holds failures that he’s learned from, and overtime and teachings of Ira, he’s grown to be a decent fighter. With time to renew muscle, perhaps he’ll get better.
He’s never one to throw down unless provoked, however, and thus, the situation spills out from a potential dangerous encounter to a trade of information. Though Eve is optimistic, he isn’t naive enough to trust the wayward traveler so easily. A grin is all he offers in response to his promise. Hopeful, yet not willing to turn his back after he’s trusted in the past and the consequences that followed.
Kaistleoki, m— he cuts off, not his pack anymore. A pack focusing on new beginnings and earning trades. We are typically located in the River north, but are here in the Plains for now. A temporary solution from the disasters that came just before winter. With spring on the horizon and possible additions to the pack, however, the River is likely to become theirs once more soon enough.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The way the giant spoke of his home — this Kaistleoki — neither inspired nor bothered Reyes. It was a perfectly simple explanation for a simple place. Curious as it was that they were on the move, Reyes did not find any bit of the conversation intriguing enough to linger. It did not sound like his kind of place - too docile, and too far from the sea. Granted, he thought that Rusalka's current claim was too far from the sea as well. A new beginning might have appealed to him at any other time in his life (especially after his experiences in Tortuga) but Reyes had to remind himself - he was not here to scout this territory, nor to start fresh somewhere without his family. He had an assignment, and did not have time to entertain such ideas.

Sounds quaint. He comments, his tone dull. 

Then he's striding along the territory limit again, keeping his wits about him. While the boy focuses on the giant man and remains mindful of the border, Reyes has clear sights set upon the mountains beyond. I gotta move on. Nice ta meetya and all that, I guess. Maybe you'll have moved by the time I come back this way. He smirks at the idea, flashing a brief smile to the giant before attempting to pick up his pace and depart.
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
A swift end is met, for it seems Kaistleoki lacks the splendor the wandering boy is seeking. Amusing when he thinks back to when he first cowered behind his sister on the borders of Easthollow, terrified of the high ranking wolves there and believing the possibility of cannibalism. This fellow has confidence where Eve in his youth lacked.
Right, uh, nice to meet you as well and safe travels. Evergreen offers, and with that, simply watches the red boy wander off. He remains a gargoyle ever vigilant until the figure is long gone from his sight.