Neverwinter Forest I dream of you all night and day
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
All Welcome 
One of two(?) threads I'm planning to make before he leaves unless for some reason nobody wants to bug Mal before adventures. :P

Stretch. The day was wearing on, he'd done a patrol, tried to do a hunt but didn't catch anything. Not a big deal. He did want to catch something before heading off though, but that might be a couple days. He wasn't exactly in a rush. Hell, he'd just had a nap.

Now, he wasn't all too sure what to do. He'd done all the obvious things, hadn't he? Well, whatever. He had said he'd be around to talk to people before he left.. So might as well do that? Or something? Shrug? He turned towards the heart of the forest and started wandering without much direction. He'd find someone eventually. Probably.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
It was time she got to know more of the lay of the land. Two weeks ago after injuring her flank during a hunt, the limping woman had kept to her newfound home, getting to know it, slowly working on the ends and outs. She was new, but young (despite being one of the eldest in the ranks) and determined. She was better now and she thought it fitting ti test herself for a little hunt, something small, perhaps and in her territory where she did not have to travel far. It just so happened she came along Mal first. Hey there stranger. She spoke with a smirk, trotting up along his side.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
And I think I may have Mal maybe cameo in the Ying thread (two post drive-by? IDK) but I can barely finish this post tonight, let alone another, haha

Aha, and there was someone. Mal flashed her a grin and a wag of his tail as she came up. He'd assumedly run into her after her outing to go hunt and brought back the spoils. Certainly was nice not feeling like the entire pack's food stores came from his skills. A fair amount did, that was for sure. He'd have to see about fixing that when some of these adventures were done. Hey, you all ready to take on any chaos that happens in the next week? He grinned. It really was probably only going to be a few days, but that was still a few days where all hell could break loose just because. Chances were if there was anything unexpected, it'd more likely happen to Mal and Simmik than anything. But this was a chance to double check things, he guessed -- make sure neither of them forgot anything that needed to happen during those few days.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Perfectly fine with me. :)

Malachi met her with a grin and a whipping of his tail above to which was returned by Vallkyrie, the scent of her coming-of-age and the dominance behind it a new marker for the newly formed pack. She knew too, somewhere out there, it would allow @Belharra to know exactly where she was too, which was fine by her. 

I'd hope that there isnt too much chaos about, but I'll be ready for it should it come. She spoke with a certainty to her newly made lead, the corners of her lips up turning once more and her icy eyes offering a bit of a malicious expression. I'll make certain they know never to cross me. This was her home now, amongst others and she wasnt about to have others fuck with it. Knowing there was wolves about with a more bloodthirsty and sinister craving for their own kind, it brought about a worry for her pack and for her allies who wondered often near - @Belharra and @Ying. With Vallkyrie's worry came a mother-like rage.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Yeah, we've certainly had enough of it for a while. Seems to come in waves, so hopefully this is a low in it. By the time I've visited everyone, maybe there'll have been time for trouble to rear its head again if you want to have a go. He peered at her, curious if that was actually what she wanted. Mal was keen to avoid it. There had been enough. Give them a quiet few months to recuperate and train.

Her shift in attitude caused one in Mal as well -- the complete opposite direction of hers. He was playful about it. Ooh, tough, he said in a sort of faux-swooning tone, and a quick upward flick of his brows, fading into a lopsided grin. Back towards normal again, Well I know you can hunt, at some point we'll have to see what you're made of. Probably not today, though, probably shouldn't be trying our luck to see if I'd get myself hurt right before the trip.  A few catlike flicks of his tail there. And let's be real, Mal hadn't had much in the way of real fights or anything. Like all of one. He was just very good at bluffing.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
He spoke about the trouble around here coming in waves and Vallkyrie fell silent, listening as he thought maybe after a time it would return again. Vallkyrie felt a twitch in her lip, unfavoring the throught and met his words with an mindless grumble. While Vallkyrie didnt mind the fun of chasing down foxes and coyote whom got a little too close to their borders, knowing that wolves were out there doing it was far more dangerous. In Kyr's mind, whom was no battleborn warrior, sacrificing the safety of your pack, let alone one filled with yearlings and under, was not worth a little fun in battle. Besides, battles against other packs and bands meant injuries that went far beyond the bounds of friendly sparring and dominance muzzle holds. Its smart seeking out the other packs nearby now that we've formed. Together I'm sure we can flush out the bad eggs quickly enough.  

Vallkyrie then found herself shoving her slim shoulder into his ribs at his playfulness and mockery, a laugh coming out of her own. Oh hush it! She snorts and prances further forward, urging him to keep the pace up with her on their stroll. He mentioned already knowing her skills in the hunt, which was made clear after her and Ying's take down of the mountain sheep. But her fighting, that had yet to be seen. She knew a bit of it, how to dodge, well places for attack, how to use her body in battle given the fact that she was far more swift then strong. Oh of course! She proclaimed, speaking with mocking jest. I wouldnt want to Hurt my poor Alpha.  She dances forward again, trying to avoid any retaliation from him should he nudge, jab or snip in her direction. Maybe a hunt, then?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He was really not sure what to think about Moonspear. There was every chance it could go terribly and not through any fault of his own. To Mal they were just plain unpredictable. He'd have to be on his best behavior and hope that worked. Yeah. I'm sure -- I'm hoping it all go well. If we work together, we get to keep everything safe. I kinda got to do that before, so I'm gonna see about doing it again.

He hopped along after her, but instead of opting for the more bite-y route, opted for the dramatic flair in the other metaphorical direction, No, it'd certainly be bad for morale if you somehow shattered me into a billion pieces like thin ice or something. Maybe I'm very fragile -- you don't know. He was joking obviously. Well, mostly. His fighting experience had been pretty limited. Bluffing was more his jam. A hunt we could do! And since you're one of our experts at many things, what'd be on the menu? At least we've got a full suite of choices now. He still hadn't tried his luck at deer again -- maybe just hadn't gotten up the nerve, but at least they were back. Made it a lot less questionable to try.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
It was true in Mal's thoughts that things could go either way when it came to letting Moonspear know of their new formation. On one paw, allies meant having someone to back you up if war breaks out or even if something lesser occurs like a band of pesky coyotes that needed dispatching or in this case, a number of ill-tempered wolves attacking the locals. Even still, if one pack didnt have a medic and the other did, or not enough well hunters, they could share one another's trades. 

Then again, it also meant fighting for hunting grounds all the same and sharing. Vallkyrie thus far had steered clear of the south in respect of @Hydra and her pack. The Bramble Point, Lake, and Heartwood had gone untouched. She had not hunted in the Glen either, despite them being bordered to it. The north was her area, taking hunting all the way to the Bay. With plentiful open land for larger game, the Weald, Bay and those unfortunate to get injured off the glacier, there was no need in moving south for hunting just yet. 

No I dont but I suppose I'll have to find out soon enough. After all, she would need to see what her new Leader was made of. He was built with rather average proportions which balanced out his very unique coating pattern. Not a bulky warmonger nor tall and beey leggy like she, it could go either way. She couldn't help the smirk which danced over her features when he called her 'an expert of many things' and as they continued to move, she neatly pranced along with the thought. Head held high and even her tail dared to wave dominantly upward behind her as pride settled. Welp, we could go for deer just outside of the forest. I've found some moving along the edge of the Spine, seeking shelter at night either along the edges of our territory or the Weald. Of course though she had been keeping tabs, she had yet to make a move, awaiting finding out with injury or sickness. That, or I know where a big mean badger has been creeping around our place. We can flush him out and make him into one of our caches before he steals one of ours. 

She waits then, her trot slowing a bit until he decides which bait to take.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
It was kind of surprising that being in a pack where he felt like he actually gave a damn caused time to fly by so quick. We will. I'll see how things line up. Sometime after I get back and before the longer trip I guess. He wish he knew how far Blackfeather Woods and Nightwalkers were. It had been too long since he took a look from the plateau, so his memory of the distance was hazy. Nightwalkers had been particularly obtuse, and he wasn't even sure he wanted to go see them, but he probably should because it might keep the trouble levels down or something... And since his brain was so tied up trying to sort all that out, he didn't really notice his subconscious reaction to her bit of dominance was to return it in kind. Mal was a pretty casual dude more often than not (possibly just to lack of social education) but somewhere in that thick skull of his some part was all, 'Hey, you're hanging with the alpha so don't push too much,' sort of thing. It was questionable whether his conscious brain was really paying attention.

His actual attention had stayed on the conversation (when not being split off to logistics), The deer sounds like the better option -- think it's the most likely to keep me in one piece. There a good target in that herd? The ones I've seen here have been probably too healthy to hunt for now -- at least not without the whole pack. They did need to plan that for later. When was the good time to go over that? Hmm. May have to deal with that badger when I get back, too -- if he doesn't cause trouble in the meantime.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
After Moonspear... where all do you plan on going? I know you said nearby packs but.. didnt know how far that consisted. I know there is one in the flats and another on a plateau in the east. That was really it. If she knew Mal planned on visiting the pack that was in Blackwood Forest she could save him the trouble, granted it was no longer there. 

And as for the badger... I think he has been sticking to himself, as long as we dont go near what he thinks is his turf. And seeing as the wolves had yet to boot him out, she supposed it was his turf. Shrugging, she kept pace at Mal's side and contemplated the deer as they began reaching the edges of their forest home. Honestly, none injured last I saw. Maybe some pregnant but not far enough along to hinder. But the bucks are at each other so maybe we will find luck there. Last she seem their were quite a few of the young bucks born laar year testing each other as they fought for mating rights. I dont think they're far... She murmured then, quickening her pace as the scent hit her.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Mostly ones I've met.  I think there are a couple to the south, he didn't known Blackfeather Woods had long since dispersed. I think there's maybe still one up on the plateau near here too -- and yeah, that one more out on the plains. But really it partially depends on what the first ones say. Won't mind a detour if it turns out there's someone else right beyond their borders. He paused, grinned again, Pretty sure if I plan it too specifically something'll happen so I'll go off schedule anyway. Oh and it would! Regardless of his not-planning!

As long as he's not close to our caches, we can delay a little at least. Again, deal with it when I get back from Moonspear. By then Kratos and Zeph would be healed up anyway -- he thought he remembered hearing that badgers were kind of nasty creatures, so he wasn't too stoked to be one of only two targets. Let's go check those deer -- point the way! He followed after. Hopefully they'd find a good one that was easy to take down. Let's not mention the fact he had all of one chance to hunt them before. But hell, that was more than some of the others in the pack. Vallkyrie got to be the expert, and he'd fake it until he made it -- and hopefully not get walked over this time.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Mal went on to explain the best he could with what his next move was going to be when it came to visiting all the nearby packs. He didnt have a set schedule about him, which Kyr should habe objected to but otherwise kept her mouth shut. What if something bad happened and they needed to contact their leader? What if he got lost, injured and they didnt know where he was? How long would he be gone before the pack should worry and send out reinforcements? They were questions which all plagued her mind but she figured she would have time to think on them. After all, Mal hadn't even gone off to his first mission yet. She thought, perhaps, she would offer herself to come along with him when he went on his second venture. I'll be where you need me, be it here to help hold down the front or out there with you un the fields. I lived out there for a time before the open land got to cold and I came west. She spoke, offering him a little more intel on herself. 

The rest of the details would have to be hashed out later because their important focus would not be placed on the hunt. If they proved lucky they would have enough for themselves and some of the younger ones at home, especially those two ( @Kratos and @Zephyr was it?) whom had been injured recently. 

Running forward at Mal's call, the huntress began her hunt. By now the herd was just at the outskirts of their forest, at the very southern most portion of the Chimera Fields. To the south she could see the rocky slopes where the Spine lie - a pit of a mostly broken forest, mucky and muddy earth surrounding what was a large lake in the center. Ahead were the deer and once close enough Kyr's long legs would bend down. She slithered now, long strides slowly, silently, inching forward as those icy eyes sought out for a promising target.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
In a way he'd turned out to be right. Things were going to happen, the schedule got well and truly shot. But it was things at home that would do so, not things between there and here. But hell, probably better that than anything else. As long as the place doesn't burn down while I'm gone, then we plan for trip two. A flashy smirk, then back to the task at hand.

Mal looked across all the deer, a jumble at a distance, but the closer they got, the more he was able to differentiate between the individuals. His posture changed much as hers did, he slunk along almost in her shadow, trying to pick what might be best out of the figures ahead. He wouldn't instantly spot the best target -- it would take him a moment to review, his eyes not quite as well trained for hunting them as he was other more bite-sized things. Still, there were enough that there should be options even if none were perfect. He glanced to see where her attention lay, a hint, perhaps, but he'd get it eventually whether she did or not. What's the plan, boss? he uttered in a joking hiss. Come on, show off her hunting prowess and all that.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Vallkyrie had been forced to learn in her adolescence just about everything. In her home pack, the young would be schooled on your very basic herbal knowledge. Learn of the Gods of Old, how to stalk and hunt prey, learning the signs of hazardous weather to come, how to defend yourself in a fight... It was these basic survival skills which any wolf should know but upon turning a year old (unless you figure it out sooner) you were to pick a certain trade to focus and master in. Vallkyrie of course had been keen to hunting which sided along scouting. Most wolves whom didnt enjoy the hunt mainly went for small prey-just one target to focus on. It was larger game and in herds which could be disorienting ang distracting. 

A smirk toys on her features as Mal's remark and she whispers out a hushed, cool tone. The year is new and the goal arnt yet born. I dont spot any particularly injured, either. We will have to run with it. As she mumbles to him, icy eyes are ever training on the deer grazing happily before them. We'll cut some off to the left. She begins to move then again, creeping close enough for a strike but does not do so, not without target. She moves until those deer who stood watch could see her and Mal's form in the grasses. With a bellowed warning, the deer stood to attention and sprinted. Rushing off to lengthen the distance between them and the wolves. The moment they ran so did Vallkyrie, long-legged, lean figure making use of itself on the open hunting grounds. 

For a moment it would seem as though the deer might run straight into the Weald but thinking better of it they tried to turn and head north. THERE! Kyr called out, watching as the deer panicked during their turning and split up. A few headed down the slopes of the Spine and Kyr turned, heading down with them. In this land the ground was cluttered with debris, mucky, muddy. Kyr's limber form ducked, dived and bounded, taking sight of the three deer running off in front of them. One was slower then the others, struggling to get its footing in the mucky earth as it slowed the young doe down. At closer range the black she-wof snapped at the ankles of her prey, sending it into utter panic and terror.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He nodded and was quick to follow. The hunt had begun! A slow start, the prowl, forward they went. For a little while they went below the radar -- it ended soon enough. An alarm. Then it was a blur -- from quiet to the sound of hooves scattering against snow and ground. Combine faint memories and instinct and he'd hopefully do well in the long term, but this first sprint didn't require too much thought, just sure feet! He followed Vallkyrie's lead.

The group split and split again, and the pair of wolves were left chasing the three deer that ran through uneven ground. It didn't take a genius to see the best target of those. The earth turned against the wolves as well, Mal felt his toes being sucked in to the mud with each step and even a leap didn't feel particularly freeing. He saw her dive forward and he urged himself onward, moving with that little extra power. He reached out, barely catching a tooth into its hip before their bobbing about yanked it free. It left a nice little hole there, a little dribble of blood that leaked back towards them. Another leap, but his teeth clicked in the air instead. Close, but not quite.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
It was a tiring run for certain. Without having a proper target of someone who was visibly injured or sick it was just the manner of running them off and trying to decide who was the weakest link while you kept up behind them. Now that their selection had been narrowed it simply came down to which deer was the youngest, slowest and least experienced of the group. 

Ahead the deer still ran and Kyr and Mal followed suit. Mal snapped a few times at the doe, snagging her once. Vallkyrie bit at her hocks, rump and sides causing small blood holes cluttered about. Soon they would reach the lake in the center of the spine and it was obvious both predator and prey was tiring. While the other two deer make a swift turn from the lake the other stumbles and trips in the mud from hesitancy and Vallkyrie seizes the day. Long legs leap upward and she clamps on the deers lower portion of her neck. She leaves quite the mark and yet, loses hold as the doe begins to thrash about. Where Kyr was swift, she was less strong. Perhaps Mal would shine in this moment?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
The other deer faded from awareness as their target lost its footing, slipping just enough for Vallkyrie to make up some ground and dive forward. She was able to pull the deer slightly downward. It slowed the doe further and Mal was up alongside, at about the time the deer wrenched out of Vallkyrie's grip -- opportunity!

That was Mal's chance, he launched himself forward, latching his jaws on to a higher section of the deer's long neck. From the decrease in speed, he'd been able to get a more secure bite than the ones he'd tried before. This time, he held strong, at least for now. He tried to throw on the brakes and yank the beast's head down towards the earth. That would stop it from running, certainly! Forward momentum shifted more to flailing in place, a wild hoof striking him in the shoulder. He grunted but held strong -- better a front hoof than a kick from the back ones.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Her Alpha found purchase, able to stop the young doe from proceeding forward as he got a hold onto the higher portion of her neck and pulled down her head with it. Her legs flailed and Kyr stayed clear of those dangerous back legs. She had meant to swing around and grab at the other side of the doe's neck but was stopped by the smack she gave Mal to his shoulder. In retaliation, Vallkyrie snarls, reaching out and snatching up the elevated leg into her jaws by the slim lower half. She yanks the limb outward, with ever intent to break it for what she had done as well as help to send the deer crashing down to the earth. Which, of course, she did. With the doe smacking down into the mud, the leg Kyr held made a loud and sickening CRACK! She would be going no where now.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
I am so bad at hunting threads, ROFL

Yeah, it was gonna hurt later for sure. Right now he was ignoring it -- he didn't even know if the hoof had broken the skin, the adrenaline from the hunt had pretty well blocked it out. Figure it out later. Right now he was more focused on keeping his grip until the deer stopped moving. 

A shadow flashed on the other side, the snapping of bone, and the deer collapsed to the side. Mal was yanked forward by this, but held strong. He shook his head slightly, trying to somehow dig his teeth in more. The deer was starting to weaken, even he could tell, but his overall inexperience had caused him to grab in a way that wasn't the most efficient kill. It'd kill eventually, sure, but just not as fast. He didn't dare let go. He tried to look for Vallkyrie, hoping they could end this before something went wrong.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
No you dont!

There was sucess in the doe meeting the lakeside soft earth and once she did and Kyr knew that Mal still had his hold to the back of the Corey's neck, Vallkyrie went in. With the doe's head lifting up to try to get the splotchy patterned wolf off, her throat was exposed. Kyr, of course, went for it, sinking large teeth into the soft and vulnerable flesh of the animal. From here on out it didnt take long for the deer to take its final breath. 

Falling back onto her haunches, Vallkyrie panted hard, tongue lolling from parted jaws and dripping off blood and spit. Gosh that was a tiring one! That's how it went when you didn't have any specific target already injured or sick. Still,  this time, it paid off. Kyr just needed some time to catch her breath and likely Mal did too. Icy eyes tossed to the other wolf's shoulder. She didnt see any blood. Maybe it was only bruised up...
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He held tight until he was sure it was now just a corpse. They'd done it! Okay, maybe it wasn't too much of a surprise but the pack still lived more on smaller prey. Everyone was gonna eat well now, that was for sure. When Mal let go, he sort of half stumbled backwards and flopped over on his side with a short laugh, Now this is gonna be a fun one to try to take home. His tongue lolled out the side of his mouth as he panted, catching his breath. Good job.

But now the adrenaline was finally tapering off. Mal started to sit up, but when he put weight on the leg the deer hit, he did cringe a bit. Playing the tough guy, he did his best to ignore it as he not-quite-hobbled over to take a look at their kill. Given the fact he could walk on it, nothing was broken.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
We can either tag everyone to join or just tag for assumptions that they came down and ate??

Thanks, you too. She spoke between panting. But their isnt any way in hell were gonna get this deer up those slopes. We can call for them. It would be much easier and a whole hell of a lot less dangerous to have them gather and eat as opposed to the two of them trying to drag the food up the steep rock face, across the fields and into the forest. And then she noticed his wince and slight limp as he moved over to the kill. Nope, not happening.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
We can probably assume that some came to help and just fade in a couple of posts. Say the other people showed up and ate and went home happy, the end. XD

He gave the deer a bit of a shove so they'd be able to get to the underside of it, still trying to not put too much weight on that one leg. It made him feel like a wuss. Hence the whole totally trying to ignore it thing. He could go rest it entirely when they eventually got back to the packlands.

He looked over to Vallkyrie with a grin, At least we can carry a good chunk of it back in our stomachs. He raised his head, howling for the pack to head over to share. See if that'll get 'em to hurry up. He reached down then, hooking his teeth into the deer's underbelly, starting to try to tear at it. It had literally been months -- maybe almost a year since he'd had fresh deer. Anything else was just scavenged, and you could bet he was gonna eat his fill on this one.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Sounds good to me. Ima wrap up Kyr here.

It was a blessing of the arrival of a new year to come. Like Mal, it had been quite some time since Kyr had tasted deer. Living on her own for a time she had stuck to hunting much smaller game, feasting on vole, mouse, gopher and other manners of small rodents. When she was near water she could catch fish or even eat crab and other crustaceans by the beach. Once the season began to change, the sheep which she had daughter with Ying had been her first large catch of the year - now this. 

Vallkyrie would settle down next to Mal, helping  to pull back fur and flesh from the underside of the deer. In between helping herself to her favorite pieces and tore out chunks for arrival from others to come. The whole of the pack would all eat well today and as Kyr made her way back home, the very hoof which struck Mal clutched within her jaws.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
It was good to be able to share, to make sure that the whole pack got to enjoy this. To him, bringing down this deer meant the true end of the famine and the start of them really being a pack. Those deer in the forest had best watch out, they were back on the menu now. Eventually the others arrived. Together they ate, then took what remained back to store in the caches.