Neverwinter Forest dino, did you see the news piece? what a story!
nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
All Welcome 
02/23 - @Vallkyrie, AW!

Was this the crow's domain? She dropped the hare beside the border and released a beckoning call for her companion. It had been some time since their first (and last) encounter. Ying wondered how she had recovered, and if she was yet healthy enough for another hunt,
[ hover for translations ]
sequoia coast · open for threads (3/5)
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
It had been just over two weeks since her hunt with Ying. The two had managed taking down an injured bighorn sheep though not without its scraps. Kyr had been hit by a hoof which had left her with a limp which now had surpassed. Even then the wanderer had been kind enough to help her carry the remainder of the kill towards the forest until @Mal was able to meet them. 

Now, she hears the familiar voice of the foreign-tongued woman, singing out to her. Kyr came swift to the borders of her newly founded home, a pleasant smile on her mug. Fancy meeting you again, Ying... and you bare a gift?
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Hi, Kyr. She smiled and bent down to push the hare over the border. I smell your scent here, so I come to see a friend. The title was simpler than the more accurate "hunting partner", which Ying wouldn't have been able to phrase. Bright blue eyes turned to either side of the pair, wondering if she'd come with anyone else. You want to hunt more? Ying asked. There was a creek not far away, surely suitable for a meal and conversation.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
There is a waving of her black tail at the sound of her nickname, one she had not heard since her leave of Torbine, her homeland. Ying shoves the hare into her direction, over the border. @Mal certainly wouldn't mind visitors like this whom provided gifts. 

Those incredibly blue eyes shining, she asks the woman if she would be interested in another hunt. Having not gone out hunting for two weeks since her limp, the huntress was long overdue and the remains of the sheep spent. Of course. We can set out after I stash this. Come, your welcome here with me. She spoke, offering the woman to join her within the forest of her home. Lifting the rabbit, she trotted towards the nearest cache.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
She shook her head — No, thank you. — and settled into a seat. Ying was uncomfortable with the thought of stepping into another wolf's territory, because she knew that were this her domain, she would have felt slighted by the act. I will wait. Once Vallkyrie returned, the pair would begin their adventure, but only while outside of the forest.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Suit yourself. She spoke, offering a shrugging of her slim shoulders. I'll be just a minute. And with that she picked up the plump hare and dashed with it back into the claimed thick and dark forestry which Ying patiently sat at the entrance of. She wouldn't be long and once she found a suitable cache with nothing left but bits of bone and fur of what was once there, Vallkyrie stuffed the hare within the knoll and kicked out at the dirt and leaves to cover it well. 

Then, just as swift, the huntress made her way back from within the outskirts of the territory and into the free and open fields which mostly surrounded it. Lead the way.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Okay! She turned and began to walk toward the creek, assuming Vallkyrie was close behind. How are you? During their last hunt, Kyr had been injured; how was her recovery? Her eyes trailed down toward the woman's paws but there wasn't a (noticeable) limp. 

The sound of slow running water caught the huntress's attention. She dashed quickly ahead and walked onto the ice, testing that it was strong enough to hold both of their weight. Toward the middle, she used her snout to punch a hole into the thinner ice, suitable for a small hunt.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
In the few weeks since that hunt together I've kept to the forest here. Figured I'd take the opportunity while I couldnt wander far to get to know the new pack. So I suppose it had its benefit. If Vallkyrie was going to live in this vast, thick forest, she might as well learn the lay of it to a deeper knowledge then just the showing which @Mal had for her upon her joining. 

When Ying pulled fort quick so the sound of water, Kyr quickened her pace though allowed the larger woman to take head. Kyr made it to her side when she was done making a hole into the thinner portion of ice. Ice fishing hu?  She spoke, settling close to the edge of the water, her icy eyes already in wait.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Ying nodded her head and positioned herself for the first attack. The fish below the ice were slow and sluggish, but every few moments, she would catch a glimpse of silver. She left enough space beside her for Vallkyrie to also participate, assuming she wished to do so. Look! the huntress exclaimed. A fuzzy collection of red and grey was swimming in their direction. She began snapping at those swimming by the hole, resurfacing with one large fish between her jaws.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
They waited patiently, the icy waters waving back and forth and every so often a glimmer or silver would sparkle off the sunlight and ice. It was calming to sit and watch though Ying's exclamation jolted the woman's attention from her mediation. Icy eyes narrowing, she focused now on the red and gray fish dashing by in a large swarm under the ice. Trout, perhaps? Just the same, Kyr reached into the waters, trying to grab anything in reach as they rushed by. Ying was first with a prized and soon after Kyr drove the full of her skull down into the waters. She came up with a large fish all the same and tossed it to the side when it wildly began flailing and yanking her neck about. Again, she waited for the next chance to strike.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
There bounty was already more impressive than Ying could have imagined. She gawked at Vallkyrie's catch with an impressed nod, and turned her attention back to the water. Another wave of fish prepared to pass through the threshold, their fins gracing the water's surface.

Ying waited for the perfect moment to strike and— Ouch! She pulled back up from the ice, blood lightly dripping from her throbbing nose. I did not aim right, the huntress laughed. She nodded for her companion to keep going, but stepped off to the side to recover.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Ying went first yet again, diving forward and - SMACK. Oh. That definitely hurt. Tis the way of the hunt. Kyr winced to her partner and nodded as she took a step back to likely lick and rub her throbbing muzzle. Vallkyrie would place her attention down once more to the hole in the ice and dived in when she had her chance. Not far enough or quick enough perhaps as she grabbed the top of the fish's fin. It flailed wildly and she lost grip, causing the fish to floo right back down into the water and out of reach. Perhaps we had beginner's  luck...  She grumbled and lifted, padding over to the now dead fish on the ice she had caught. Think I'll take a break and eat then try again for one to take back home. Home. It felt nice to say that; it had surely been awhile. How's the face?
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Had Vallkyrie been successful in her second attempt, Ying might have been more scornful. Instead, she laughed at the jest and shook the remaining pain from her snout. We can eat and talk, she agreed. The huntress knelt down to begin tearing at her share.

Can you tell me more about you? Ying asked. Her mouth was full of food; between this and her accent, the words might have been unintelligible. She continued tearing at the fish, somewhat gruesome in her routine.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
It was true that with a mouth full of food and the oddity of her tongue, it was hard understanding what she had said. It took Kyr a moment, fitting with a cocked head in question. She had been able to make out 'tell' and 'about you' in a questioning manner to which Vallkyrie smirked at the woman's full fish face. Of course they traded names after their previous hunt and Kyr had explained she recently had set up in a pack in this forest after many months of traveling as a loner with a single partner, @Belharra. She often traveled between being a hunter and taking to scouting. Ying's knowledge of her didnt go beyond that and it seemed she was curious for more. 

Well, after I turned a year old is when I decided to go off on my own. As many children did when they got to learning how to care for themselves. I come from a peninsula called Torbine. Our family pack was very large, an Empire . Its been ruled under our blood for generations. Even with different sanctions living outside of the central 'hub' if you will, there was a lot of competition. I love my family, I do and I'm proud of it, but I wanted to go somewhere where I wasnt just another number, another Archer. Somewhere my skills were truly needed and I could rise from it. 

When she was finished, she lowered her head and took a strip of fish, chewing and swallowing quick. What about you? She spoke in between licking her jawline. What was your home pack like?
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Empathetic, Ying nodded her head. In some ways, Vallkyrie's past journey was similar to her current trials. The conflict of self and family, and how one might relate the interests of both; she swallowed her mouthful.

It is good you are somewhere better for you now, she said. If Kyr was thriving, then it could only be because she made the right decision. I don't want to say about my child years. Ying was keen to listen to such a topic, but held too many repressed memories to properly share her own tale.

Instead, she offered: I see a lot of things, all the time. All sorts of places and it's really cool. The trip into the Teekon had afforded her plenty of opportunities to see (some of) the world. And now, we are on the coast. It is okay but I don't really like stinky places. Ying had grown up on the coast, but she'd always wished to be somewhere else.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
When Ying goes to answer Kyr is it only to not answer at all, saying she didn't want to speak up of her childhood years. It made Kyr's ears fall and a bit of a saddened look to cross her mug. I got ya. She understood enough that her past wasnt a good one enough to where Ying didnt want to mention it and Kyr had no interest in pushing. While Torbine had been a strict upbringing with much training and proving your worth the dark coated woman wouldnt take it back for anything. It's what gave her the knowledge and skills she had today. 

Going back to eating a bit, her previous sour features could be turned back to happy expression when Ying mentioned her ventures and how she was doing good at least now. She laughs at the thought of 'stinky places'. If your meaning the beach, I always liked the scent. Like hunting there too. But I dont think I'd live directly on a beach. It's too open and I'd be weary of flooding. I like the forest. So many hidden treasures, lots of prey, cover, places for dens... She felt she had chosen wisely.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Similarly, she worried about the safety of the beaches. Everything seemed open; without knowing how to fight, a pack could easily be overpowered by outside forces. Ying sighed and nodded her head, silently sounding her agreement.

The forest is nice, too, she said, You ever want to see the ocean, come and stay with us for a time. Maybe only one night, and I bring you back. Consider it a slumber party, where one could freely visit the either. 

The huntress was ready to begin heading home. She picked up what was left of her fish and began to walk back, nodding for Vallkyrie to do the same. When we come to your home, put these away. An offering.