Wheeling Gull Isle Good Tidings
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
All Welcome 
Sunsets. Sunrises.
The man had watched them pass with each growing day; and with it the growing knowledge became apparent that the land he once knew was far away. Easthollow was far. Valette was far. No longer did the sweet smell of grass swarm around him, the deep cowing of bison, the sounds of the air through the white bark trees.

Now all he smelt was salt. Thick and pungent. Sticking to his fur and causing his eyes to water slightly.

Greyback stopped at the coastline, looking into the sand with awe and wonder. Never before had he seen such a substance. It stuck to his toes, coating him in a dusting that felt awful and was hard to shake off. No matter how hard he tried it refused to untangle itself in his long fur that was now slightly matted with the sea water. It would be apparent to anyone by his awkward gate on the sand bar that the behemoth of a man was not accustomed to this place.

Yet he stayed, standing and watching the sea as he trailed up and down. Up and down. Up and down. Mindlessly thinking and staring into the setting waters and the island not far off.

1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
dated for the 8th

She had come to the coast's edge with the intention of returning to the island, checking for Ying there, perhaps. And yet here, beside the edge of the water, stood a man. Huge and painted in the shades of mountains, bearlike is size and wholly different from her in every way. He seemed entranced as he gazed out at the water and the island in a way that she once had too. 

She was not feeling sick anymore, her energy had returned, and so she approached him eagerly, wagging tail spreading perfume behind her. She let out a gentle chuff to announce her presence once she was a couple yards away, and then, Island is pretty, right? I live there, She laughed lightly. He did not seem like a coastal wolf at all, and yet she still wondered if she could recruit him, or perhaps just spread the word of her claim.
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
His ear flicked to the gentle sound of a voice, soft and slurred with a heavy accent to the left. Following with his head, Greyback turned to the sandy woman far off, taking in her appearance. She was lithe, small and petit and wholly opposite from the wolves of Easthollow, perhaps she wasn't even a wolf at all? He had often seen mixed species scattered across these lands, perhaps this woman was no different. Regardless, he dipped his head to her in a greeting, a small smile on his greying muzzle.

"It is quite beautiful— a lovely home. I hope I am not ...intruding with my presence." Greyback rumbled before he winced once the smell of her wafted towards him. He knew well that spring had come, and with it the mating season. Over the years he had come to collect experience of this time, but now old, and now devoted to Valette he no longer found himself affected.

However, it did make for awkward encounters. "What may your name be?"

1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
He was rather polite, head dipping with a small smile. It reminded her of the bowing that took place in the south, and she liked that. He was respectful. Many wolves here were not- she could think of a few who could certainly take some notes from him. 

Not worry, you not.. intr.. intruding. Our claim not start here. She explains with a smile returned. His face seemed to wince if only for a moment- and she wondered what was the issue. Had she done something wrong?

Or perhaps it was the same thing that had caused Hydra to hate her so. The... warmth? The hotness? What had it been? The strange scent that had plagued her this week made her feel like a diseased wolf. She did not know where she could hide, or where she was expected to go. She had little control over it, and no longer did it fill her with pleasant feelings. It had been nice with Mal, but since then, she had only hoped the end would come sooner. How long would the disease last?

Oh well. She refused to be ashamed for something which she could not control. There were much worse things a wolf could do than smell a certain way- she had experienced those terrors firsthand. She refused to see herself as a guilty party. 

My name Huā. Huāzhen Jiang. What your name? She returned.
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
He continued to stare, captivated by this strange sea-woman. Her tongue, her pelt..., the fact she lived on an island... it was wholly unique and unknown to the man. Something new. And with that Greyback found himself interested.

He nodded in relief to the woman- now revealed as Hua to him. "What a unique name," he wondered aloud in a bearly audible whisper above the crashing waves hitting the shore. He was indeed far from home. "It is a pleasure to meet you Hua." he welcomed back with his awkward valley accent. Saying such a name was unknown to the wolf's tongue. " I hope the gods are in your favor on this kind day. I go by many names, but my wolves refer to me as Greyback—I am the patriarch to Easthollow."

He gulped as another gust of wind swept by, tangling his fur with the scent of the woman. Did she know?

"If I may be brash... but from where I hail going out in such a state could be considered unbecoming... Do your leaders make you toil till the day's end in such conditions?" He asked with surprise to her.

1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
And is plea.. pleasure, to meet you as well. She responds in turn, appreciating everything about the man's warm personality. She imagined that this was what a father was like- warm and gentle, and tall-standing and powerful like a mountain... Just as Huā was strange and new to Greyback, so was Greyback to she. Needless to say, no coastal wolves back home grew that tall or sturdy.

At the mention of gods, her ears perk up. They could not worship the same gods- no, for Greyback was not a man of the sea. And even though Huā was not (yet) invested in Mei's religion, she knew a large aspect of it surrounded the sea as a holy force. So curious as always, she shyly inquires, Tell me, Greyback, what god you worship? I know little of culture of you people...

At his last comment, she blushes beneath her fur, eyes widened until she's a perfect replica of . This perfume had two sides- it drew men to her, or earned her cold judgement. Of course, Greyback was much gentler in his delivery than Hydra. I am leader, actually. The, um, heat- I am out on hunt trip when I realize it begin, and I go home imme... immed... fast. I sorry that you have to, um, smell it... She replies awkwardly. It was only part-lie- of course, she left out the part wherein she had been unaware of what heat was, greeted Hydra in it, and coupled with three men. Yeah, probably not worth mentioning.
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
She trips over her words, a mannerism that goes not without notice by the man. Each time it happens he narrows his eyes— a quirk as he calculates what she might mean and what she is trying to say. It vividly reminds him of the time his whelps tried to speak, their mumblings and words falling over each other as they tried searching their limited vocabulary. The memory saddens him and pangs his heart with sadness.

He swallows it down.

"What god you worship?"

The question catches him off-guard, straightforward in a way he had not expected from the girl. "I do not know of their names, only that they exist and play an important role in our lives." he retorted, whispered almost as if ashamed. The gods had challenged him, driven his youngest away— a catalyst and a test that he had failed. He did not know why the gods sought to teach him a lesson, nor did he try to think about it too much. The only thought on his mind was the new task he was graced with— to find his other son, Newt.

"I'm afraid my pack does not follow in the same paw steps as me, I do not shame them for it though. I grew up far from here, in the mountains where the breeze was bitter and cold." Yes, Hengfell. A world way and a place Greyback had not thought of in years. "When I left I chose to close that chapter of my life... but what about you? What is your culture?"

He watched her eerily. Had Hua found solace in gods? Did she have of her own? Whatever he was about to say next died in his throat as she mentioned being leader. Instantly, the man's face heated and he bowed once more to her with a face of disbelief. "My apologies, I had not known I was in such a presence. Do not apologize. If you are indeed the leader then perhaps you can help shorten my journey, hmm?"

"I am looking for my son, Newt. Has he passed through here? He should carry my scent, and look rather similar to me."

1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Nameless gods. That was certainly intriguing- much unlike Mei's beliefs, in fact, she found it rather vague. Were the gods tied to certain elements, as those within her religion were? Or did they have no context? Her mind brimmed with questions, but she forced them down as he returned the question to her- not only of religion, but culture as a whole. 

My religion... well, I am just learning it- it is my sister religion, really. But she tell me this. There are two god- one, god of sea and weather, called Cāng. And then there is Rìzhào- god of sun and moon. Together they guide us, teach lesson and give wisdom. She explains, feeling a tad inadequate to teach Mei's beliefs but still willing. My culture, we focus very much on sea as home, on value of respect and wisdom, of filial piety. Things are sometime much different here, it seem. She laughs playfully. 

When he bows to her, she blushes, still not exactly used to her role as empress. It was a new thing, and very exciting to have people paying her respect- but often she would question how much she deserved that respect. Still, her ears cupped forward as he made his request. Newt? Sorry, I not seen him... but if I find him, I let you know. Maybe he will come around soon... At the thought of losing a child, her heart clenched. What sort of pain was this man going through? She prayed that he would find the boy again soon. You have any idea where he might go?
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
He listened. And listened. And listened. The water witch spoke, and Greyback listened silently as she chattered on in her explanations. It was fascinating to him, the gods of sun and moon. It was a bit like his own thoughts albeit different, but something in the back of his mind hinted that perhaps he shouldn't pry more. The gods are just and divine, he did not want to spoil his relationship with them.

"It is interesting to hear of your home...but I cannot offer you any more info. I know not much." Greyback's heart sank as yet another pack had turned his hopes down. Where had he gone? Where was his son if not here? The perilous days had turned to weeks, and his belief in finding Newt was fading. Was he even alive?

He snapped out of his thoughts as he noticed Hua staring at him, and with a fake smile he dipped. "I best be going, I have to keep looking for my son. Thank you, Hua of...?" he hadn't gotten the name of her pack.

1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Unfortunately, Greyback explained that he had little info beyond what he had already explained. She frowned- would she end up like this one day? With runaway children that she would travel the lands for? What had Greyback done to scare off his son- or had the boy come to harm? Huā already worried like a mother would, and she could not fathom the pain he might be feeling. 

Though Huā stared on, it was she who was snapped out of her daze by his words. That he must be going. It had been a pleasant time, she thought- and look at that, Hydra! We can share a nice time even if I am in heat. Who is wrong now? She thought to herself. Yuèlóng, she answers, Huā of Yuèlóng. I enjoy very much meeting you- and I will keep eye open for your son. If Greyback had no further questions for her, she would offer him a smile and dip of her head, before continuing onwards towards the island.