Neverwinter Forest blowin’ off my mom, i don’t wanna go home
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
Joining 
being very vague about things! @Caerus @Mal

His life had been in danger the moment Rosencrantz found him shoving seeds down is throat. Cupid didn't care about it then, but things were different now. Caerus needed someone to tend to his every need; care for him, play with him, love him. Maybe the giant would have been able to find someone to do those things, but feed him? There was no one on that plateau to provide him with that basic necessity. Killing Cupid would lead to the boy's certain death. If Rosencrantz was dead set on murdering him, then Cupid wanted no part in Rusalka.

Reality crushed him as soon as he realized where he was. Nowhere. He was nowhere and he had nowhere to go. No pack to run to, no den to curl up in, not even a tree to hide under. What was worse; being killed on the plateau or starving out here? He had to find a place to stay before it was too late, even if he vowed to never come back to said place.

How many times was he gonna end up on the same damn border? Cupid took a deep breath, sat down, and placed the pup behind his front legs (he'd been holding him thus far).

What the hell was he gonna say? "Oh hey! Remember when I said I'd never be in your life again? Well surprise! I'm back. With a baby. Let me into your home." Cupid sighed heavily. He's been a huge hypocrite these days.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Patrolling again. You know, normal things. He'd have to leave in the next day or so to go to.. Whatever that pack was. Anyway. Something to contemplate later in the day as he plotted his escape to do so. He didn't have too much on his mind otherwise. Well, that was only gonna last a few more seconds. Squint. Someone was sitting by the borders. Familiar. As Mal got closer it became quickly clear just who it was. 

With just about every other wolf out there, Mal would have greeted them with a smile, but Cupid was one of the exceptions. He didn't know what to think. Cupid had hurt him, whether he meant to or realized, and that was a grudge that he wasn't about to just brush off. More the issue was why he was here. Look, it wasn't like Mal had any idea how long it took to have a pup, so for all he knew Cupid was showing up here to say he was wrong and to apologize. Or to taunt him again, whichever. Either way, Mal continued forward. You're back. It floated somewhere in the void between question and statement.

Apparently Mal hadn't noticed the bundle tucked behind Cupid's paws.
208 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
Two days old, and confronted with so much already. The moments after his birth had been filled with more of that faraway noise, that seemed to come through volumes of water before reaching the very foundations of the sense. His hearing was practically nothing, his vision still wholly untouched. Taste and touch were what guided him, and all he knew was that he was happy to be carried in daddy's jaws by the downy nape of his neck. 

The moment he was placed down onto the freezing ground was rather disturbing to him. If only he could scream or cry, beg to be held again, to be encased in warmth and home. But he could do little except whimper, the smallest little squeaks of noise, barely audible from his tiny throat. And touch! He could feel- so he crawls forward with tiny wiggles. If he had not been noticed before, surely he was hard to miss now.
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
Thinking about what he should say gave him a headache. Nothing he thought of made any sense; it's all just a meaningless jumble of words that could not be deciphered. When he saw Mal any and all plans are thrown out the window.

Yeah. He tried to lighten the mood with dry laughter. Bet you're tired of seeing me, huh? He didn't need to answer that. Cupid sure as hell would be tired of seeing himself if he were in Mal's shoes. He's surprised he hadn't chased him away already.

Cupid's attention was redirected to Caerus as soon as he stirred. He moved a paw and leaned over the boy, touching his back with his nose to soothe him.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He wasn't finding too much humor in things today, seemed like. Did tell you you could have stayed. And Mal had no idea why he hadn't. Cupid should have. But obviously Mal was nobody's first choice for anything, that part seemed to be repeatedly made clear to him. He'd opened his mouth to say something else when Caerus made his bold introduction and put a swift stop to that.

His ears tipped forward, and a slight lean to try to get a better view. Yeah, moving half an inch forward totally made a difference. He took a couple steps forward, then stopped, uncertain, just staring. You-- and that was about all else he could say. His brain might as well have poured out his ears. How was that supposed to end? Mal wasn't sure any more. There were probably about eighty different questions it could have been, take your pick, but his brain had probably just overloaded a bit.
thoughts, they are like restless beasts in my head
time, it slowly kills me in my cold bed
· TW gore/yell
266 Posts
Ooc — mista
Young bones creak like old ones.
Stationed at Zephyr’s side and healing together, Kratos feels like he’s gained five years during the recovery. The wounds having been scratched and shifted and pulled open countless times, unable to sit still when he ought to. But Zephyr has been good enough to patrol, and he, too, strong enough to get to his feet.
Kratos has the tendency to keep close, akin to a personal bodyguard. Yet there are moments during the day when both need their time away. It is thus that he keeps his mind busy, working muscles and adrenaline and wanting nothing more than to sink teeth into flesh.
Kratos happens upon the gathering at the borders—his patrol leading here just as Mal’s had. The air is thick, suffocating. It weighs upon shoulders. One polite would turn around, assuming the situation with a glance of mother, pup and Mal’s playboy antics.
Kratos isn’t polite. Never has been.
He approaches, striding towards the merle Boss; Never seen you so quiet. Pale gold eyes shift from him to the duo. The fuck you do to him to shut him up? It’s worthy of a trophy.
Muzzle twists in what ought to be a smirk of sorts, but looks more akin to a nightmare; ugly and distorted on his face. Look, he can smile, Mal. A snort follows after, and since the Boss seems tongue tied he does the talking for him; What do you want.
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
If he had been in the mindset he was right now, if he knew some dude was willing to rip his son away at any costs, hell yeah he would've stayed. But he was fucked up then, and he could not tell the future.

He concealed the baby with his paw as soon as Mal stepped forward, almost growled at him too. He was still on edge after the whole Rusalka ordeal, and the other man's arrival did nothing to soothe his nerves. Cupid backed away and slowly guided Caerus closer with his nose.

I want a place where there's no psychos around. He glanced between the two before continuing. Some mothefucker tried for steal my kid as soon as he was born. He would've killed me to get him. I had to run, there was no other choice.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
There was a slight outward tilt of his ears as Cupid shielded the pup from him. He wanted to see -- that wasn't fair. Kratos showed up then. Mal gave him a quick glance to start, first just to acknowledge he was present but then a second look that was almost like a sigh to itself. Not Mal's preferred way of asking questions but whatever, Kratos could have the floor on this one.

But what was said in response that caused Mal to visibly tense. He looked off behind Cupid, along the tracks that were left in the snow as far as he could see. Nothing there (now at least), but that didn't stop his fur from standing on end at the thought. No. He already had this kid (son?) taken away from him once in a sense, not gonna happen again, so snap decision time, Come on. We'll get you away from the borders. Then he scrambled for a thought, digging through early childhood memories, You need a den, right? It's not a den, but I got a place that's kind of sheltered and stuff. You can have it until you find one. He turned slightly, all ready to lead the way, no time for jokes here. And then once we get there you should tell us who this guy is so we can, rip his face off make sure he stays gone. He looked to Kratos again. Seemed like the right thing there, right?
vague about some stuff, just wanted to get this in before it's too late LOL
The sound of voices further along the border draws Zephyr's attention away from his patrol, and he follows them warily, ears perked to pick out individual sounds through the trees. He recognizes Kratos's voice first, and then — then someone he doesn't expect at all. His pace picks up until he sees figures through the trees. He slows, then, but he doesn't stop — not until he sees Cupid fully.
Cupid? He takes a couple steps forward, and his gaze falls to the lump on the ground, half-concealed by Cupid's paw. His ears fall flat against his skull, hackles rippling. What the fuck is that? Part of him knows already, but he doesn't want that answer. He doesn't trust himself with that answer.
common || « french »
· TW gore/yell
266 Posts
Ooc — mista
Tall order she asks for, since Kratos has never been anywhere without psychos around; Neverwinter isn’t any different no matter how much they like to pretend they’re safe. Too many of theirs—of his—already got injured or nearly left for dead. Kratos grunts, a chuckle building in his throat until it quiets a few beats later at the mother’s continuation.
Pale gold eyes drop to the kid. The kid’s got a decent parent, seeing as she’s willing to die in order to protect. Kratos never really knew his own; the only memory fuzzy—the scent of honeysuckle and fiery red fur too much like his own. She gave him away to save her own hide.
So you want us to clean up your mess, he says. Not everyone’s a parent here. Not everyone’s willing to die to save the kid hidden behind that paw. The Boss is the one who makes the final decision. Kratos answers with a shrug. His lips part to speak, but the words never come out.
He knows that scent of frost and stone, and he knows the sound of those footsteps and that voice. Tension too tight in Zephyr’s muscles finally gets the beast on edge. His tail snaps, waving to the side too sharp akin to an agitated feline.
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
Clean up your mess. That wasn't the most subtle wording but he couldn't deny it. He was the one to start this shit, and he's come here to put an end to it. The only way to do that was by shoving some sort of responsibility on these wolves. So yeah, he did want them to clean his mess in a way.

Luckily Mal was on board, much to his surprise. Cupid let out a sigh of relief (he didn't realize how long he's been holding his breath until now). Anything's fine as long as it's out of the snow.

He leaned down to pick up the pup again, but he stopped when he saw a familiar, unexpected face. Zephyr? Why was he looking at him like that? No, why was he looking at Caerus like that?

He's my kid. Cupid furrowed his brow and gently grabbed him. He gave a quick, wary glance to the silver boy before standing up and looking at Mal. Ok. Lead the way.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
To Mal, this all seemed so unnecessary. He didn't have any idea why Kratos (and now Zephyr) were fussing, though -- they knew each other? Well, that was weird. Uhh. You know what, deal with it later if he could.

Mentally, Mal was pretty off-balance. Moreso than usual. It wasn't a mess -- it shouldn't have been one in the first place. He didn't like the tension in the air. They were supposed to worry about those outside not the weird reactions of the wolves in his own pack. Zephyr's response seemed especially out of place unless there was some huge chunk of history he was missing. No.. Get them moving, that'd be better, get foreign dangers out of the equation. Even if he was unsure of himself there were at least a few things he was (kind of) adamant about, namely the fact he'd been willing to help before and still was now, I already said I'd help him -- them. So come along and you can share stories and catch up when we're away from the border. And Mal had his own questions. Once he could figure out what they were. And he wanted to see the pup -- his -- but at the same time didn't want to say much because the possibility had been something he'd kept to himself. And now suddenly, there was the whole peanut gallery. Whatever. Move. He took a couple of steps and looked back to make sure they were coming.

And assuming they followed, he'd head towards the sort-of-thicket he'd been staying in. The snow was clearer, and he wasn't exactly sure where he left it but that hare pelt that Hua had brought had ended up somewhere in there too. Not a den by a long shot (far too drafty), but an improvement to just being in the open. And even if they didn't want to cooperate, that was where Mal was trying to herd them eventually.
sorry for the wait! last from me
He's my kid. He doesn't hear much else after those words. It's a spotty little thing, oddly reminiscent of Mal now that he has a chance to get a better look at it. Or maybe it's not so odd. He remembers his own encounter with Mal, the heat-scent, and bile rises up his throat. His gaze hardens, and he looks to the leader without really seeing or hearing him, cold fire burning in his eyes. Just keep it away from me, And then he's moving, pressing past all of them without a second thought and passing the borders. He might have beckoned for Kratos to follow him, if he wasn't so focused on getting away. As the distance increases, Maman's scream echoes from somewhere in the forest behind him, and he shudders. It's worse, somehow, knowing she's really here.
common || « french »
· TW gore/yell
266 Posts
Ooc — mista
Him.
Kratos gets the connection then, at least assumes it. A glance is given towards Zephyr, all cold and walled off the moment he wandered on the situation.
Fuck feelings.
Irritation rumbles and what is left of Kratos’ amusement dies.
So much for putting current members first.
As Zephyr leaves, Kratos follows.
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
Zephyr wasn't happy with that answer. Why? He may never know, but he could assume. Cupid followed the boy's glare to Mal and felt even more anxious than before. Were they some sort of.. thing? His stomach churned at the thought. The last thing he needed right now was drama. Thankfully, the boy wanted nothing more to do with this. He and the giant departed, leaving Cupid and Mal alone. 

The trip to the thicket was a silent one. He was too on edge, too exhausted to talk about much of anything. When they reached their destination he wasted no time finding a comfortable spot and sinking into it. He placed the baby near his belly and rested his head upon his paws. And finally, he could breathe.

The peaceful feeling only lasts for a moment. Thoughts of Zephyr, fears of him causing trouble for the baby, crawl up his neck. Cupid looked up. Why'd the kid act like that?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
And like that the two stormed off. What the hell? What even just happened? He was missing something here, but what that was wasn't obvious to Mal at all. Why had Zephyr snapped like that? Whatever. He had other things to think about, and just lead Cupid to their destination.

And thus the question on everyone's mind was brought up. Mal shook his head, I don't have a clue. You know him, though? He'd been thinking nearly the same thing as Cupid, but figured somehow Cupid was the source of ire. But he and the kid were safe now. That was the important part -- though Mal should find that pelt Hua brought. He moved forward, searching for where it had ended up buried under the snow. If they come skulking back in a few days and pretend nothing happened, I won't be surprised.

If he's still are acting like to you that whenever they do wander back, just call me, okay? I'm not gonna allow it. And -- aha, there it was. He cleared the snow, picked the rabbit pelt out of the snow with his teeth and gave it a vigorous shake. Mal went to Cupid, dropping the pelt in front of his paws before taking a step back. If it helps, you can have it.
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
Yeah. Not well though. Had Cupid said something back during there first meeting to warrant the his ire now? There was nothing he could think of. Sure the kid wasn't in the greatest of moods, but he thought they'd left off on good terms. It didn't make any sense and Cupid was too tired to try make sense of it. If Mal was right about Zephyr blowing this off, he didn't need to worry about it.

Cupid quietly watched him look around for something and tilted his head when he pulled out a rabbit skin and dropped it at his feet. What am I supposed to do with it? If it didn't have meat on it then what's the point?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
So familiar, yes, but not to a degree that would have earned a reaction like that in Mal's eyes. Weird.

But Cupid didn't seem to know what to think about the pelt. Mal thought by now it was obvious, but then again, he was the one hoarding the damn thing, so he had plenty of firsthand experience. Might be better on that than right on the snow. Or at least, I think it might help. He shrugged. At least when he'd mashed his face into like a complete idiot, the snow felt more distant. Maybe it was just him imagining things though. For an adult it might not matter, but maybe for a pup that small, it might? He wasn't sure, but it made sense kind of... If pups had to be in dens, that was warmer -- probably. Do you want me to get you something to eat, or..?
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
wanna fade soon?

At first Cupid thought he meant it'd be better for him. Like, alright, maybe it'd make part of his body feel better, but defiantly not the whole thing. Again, what was the point in this? But then he remembered there's a much smaller body that would benefit from the pelt more than he ever could. Right, right. He had a little one to take care of now. It's still so strange to admit.

He laughed weakly and pulled the pelt closer to Caerus. This is weird. Made sense, but it was still weird. His mom never gave him a blanket to sleep with. Granted he'd be too young to remember, but whatever.

Food sounded great right about now, but honestly he wasn't sure he even had the energy to eat right now. It's like his body had something against him.

Sure, but you can do that whenever you want. He yawned and rested his cheek on the floor. It's been a disaster of a day. I need some sleep.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Yeah, probably in your post?

Mal had no idea if anything he was doing would actually help -- he tried, certainly. He wanted to help. But at least Cupid had accepted that gift or whatever you wanted to call it. Progress, maybe? What did Mal even want? Hell if he knew. Anything not weird today? It was all the humor he could muster, a quiet smile.

Weird. That word kept coming up. His ears flicked back a moment. He certainly wasn't himself -- or at least not the version of himself that he'd been projecting as of late. But he could keep going, so he nodded, Okay. I'll find something. And like.. Leave it here I guess if you're asleep? Howl if you, uh, need anything. He'd wait for a reply and trot off unless another reply was needed. Anxious as hell. This was not how he was expecting to spend the day.