Sawtooth Spire I'm allergic to sushi - every time I eat more than 80 sushi, I barf
88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
All Welcome 
Assuming he got away from BCV with no problems -- dated for March 8

It took him a little while to find the next pack. He wanted to be thorough. He'd traveled the northeastern spine of the range before realizing that nothing was coming up—and then realized that multiple scents were coming and going from one particular location. Eureka!

Timberlake drew up to the borders of said location (for indeed, there were borders at last) and looked out over them, then down to the valley below. It reminded him a little of Round Valley, and he steadied himself against the homesickness that washed over him. He would go home. . .eventually.

But not until he finished his mission.

The young man called for leadership, or anyone that could be of help. His howls, initially filled with hope and curiosity, now had a note of desperation to them. Where were his family? Where had they all disappeared to?
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
brownbit youngster at his borders. mahler dropped a kill with wylla and his young family, then strode to the jagged promontories from which he surveyed joiners. the gargoyle could be seen approaching from a distance, long strides pausing him several feet away.
nothing said, lilac stare darting over the young man. the summons had seemed urgent, but mahler had not seen this wolf before, and so saw no reason to pretend at familiarity.
waiting.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
The stately gray male that approached carried himself much like Valette had. Older, wiser. Timberlake was naturally deferential to his elders and adjusted his posture, lowering himself slightly before the man. There was silence, and then—

Hello, sir, he began, breaking the ice. I'm Timberlake. I'm looking for some members of my family that live down around here. I, uh, have some names to ask after. . .

He paused, looking sheepish. My mother, Pema. And my siblings: Padma, Radcliffe and Meadow. I have a lot of cousins, too. . .Sunny, Valiant, Winterbourne, Easy and Dauntless. Do you know any of them?

It was as long a shot as any before, but as long as he didn't receive the treatment he had at that one valley, he'd consider it a success. That cruel young man still haunted him!
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
the young man was polite, which earned him mahler's respect, but it was swiftly dashed to know the child was related to sunny. that male had been worthless, and the gargoyle had always suspected it was himself which had led to the disbandment of morningside, so many long months ago.
"i have only heard of sunny. he vonce led a pack called morningside. after that, he lived in the villows," mahler grunted, gesturing vaguely in the direction of where elysium had stood. "i have not known him since." never mind that he would always wear toothmarks from that particular individual.
88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Timberlake was hopeful for a moment, his ears perking at the mention of his cousin. But it turned out to be old news, and he let his face fall again, nodding. Oh, okay, he replied, completely oblivious to the man's history with Sunny. Had he been told, it might have intrigued him. Disappointed him, too. Thank you, though.

He cast his eyes over the alpine landscape instead, taking in the sights. This place is beautiful, Timberlake said appreciatively, allowing himself to smile as he looked back at the other wolf once more. What is your pack called? Even if nothing or no one was to be found here, he was still excited to explore new places—especially ones that were as scenic as this.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"sagtannet," mahler murmured, casting his own appreciative eye over what they called their own. "it has everything ve need." brusque praise aside, his lavender stare turned back upon the boy. "you are young to be vandering so much. have you any other family in these vilds?"
he was in a more amiable mood than usual, descending a few more steps until he stood in front of the other.
88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
The name of the pack was a word unlike anything he'd heard before, and his ears perked, intrigued. At Mahler's question, he nodded, smiling. My cousin Dawn has a pack up by Whitebark Stream, he explained, canting his muzzle in that direction. The others—the ones I'm looking for—might be here, might not. Dunno.

The comment about wandering stuck with him, though, and he added, I don't really travel all that much. I live up north with my aunt and her pack. I just wanted to see if I could find family in the south. So far, he had been relatively unsuccessful, although Whitebark Stream and Easthollow had yielded somewhat satisfactory encounters.

Timberlake stared guilelessly at the man, eyes lit in query. I was born in Morningside, but I don't really remember much about it. What it was like?
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler did not know the packs of which timberlake spoke, but the questioning light provoked an amused grunt he could not hide. "it vas a small pack that held on into that vinter. sunny vas stubborn. too young to lead, and villing to allow his pride to starve his followers." 
a dire proclamation, to be sure. "his land vas beautiful, however." if that salvaged nothing, he did not care. the gargoyle was pleasant enough, but saw no reason to lie to the innocent about the nature of that familial branch.
88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
It wasn't the rosiest picture the man painted of Morningside, but it was a picture, at least. No wonder his family had scattered to the winds. Timberlake wondered about Sunny; he barely remembered his cousin and would certainly not have noticed errors in judgment. 

He needed both sides of the story. 

I know, he sighed wistfully, smiling. I visited there recently. Both territories. . .the stately maplewood and the recovering plains. Both were beautiful in very different ways. What's your name, sir? he asked, polite but curious.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"mahler," the gargoyle answered. the boy's expression seemed longing for a moment, though he could not imagine why. if he himself had been faced with so grave a prospect, he would have departed immediately. yet this timberlake lingered, and the eisen wondered if it was due to his age.
"vill you keep looking?" he grunted in question, thinking of stag and elfie. perhaps they needed a third to complete their young male ranks, though from the feel of it, this youngster would continue on until he located some member of his splintered family.
88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
It's good to meet you, Mahler, Timberlake said sincerely, smiling. And thanks for telling me. . .about Sunny, about Morningside. It means a lot. It filled in the gaps, the spaces he was too young to recall. It brought within him a flickering flame of doubt about his cousin, one he was now eager to explore (to stamp out?).

He nodded silently in response to the question, his eyes roaming over the range. It was so vast. . .and the lands beyond even more so. Would he be searching forever?

No. Timberlake would return eventually. When summer came, it would be too hot here. He would go north.

For as long as I can, he answered a little vaguely. I need to find them. My mother and siblings especially. They had once been so close, but now had been gone for longer than he had known them. They were shadows; he hated that.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"the pleasure is mine," mahler murmured after a moment. "and i hope that you find them." whatever he thought of sunny, timberlake was a respectable young wolf. to be without family was to be alone in a way that he had long understood. 
the boy seemed determined, however, as evidenced by his next statement. mahler resisted the urge of paternal warnings; he dipped his head to timberlake. "if you come back this vay, call for me. ve shall hunt in the foothills," the shadowpriest offered, a brief smile lighting his somber countenance.
88 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
He liked Mahler. The man would fit in well with his family in Round Valley, even with the accent. He seemed strong and brave and kind, everything Timberlake aspired to me. That would be great! he responded cheerfully to Mahler's offer, already daydreaming of a hunting trip.

Thanks for all your help, the yearling reiterated, and then took his leave. It wouldn't be too much of a derivation from his journey to stop here on the way back. . .right? At any rate, he had the time.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
<3

mahler's amused gaze followed the polite timberlake as the boy departed sagtannet. a polite visit appealed greatly to the gargoyle, and he left to pursue his own tasks with a pleasantly uplifted heart.