Honeyed Pasture It’s a kind of amnesia
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
All Welcome 
Zephyr and Kratos still weren't back. He hadn't thought too much about it to start -- mostly because Zephyr had been so irrationally pissed that Mal figured he'd come back without a word and pretend nothing happened after a few days. But it had been almost two weeks. Nah. For some bizarre reason, Zephyr wanted to stay gone and had (unsurprisingly) taken Kratos with him. Why? Not a damn clue. It seemed pretty weird.

So now with all training plans totally nixed, he went looking for @Ying. He did wonder who she might have found around -- maybe there was someone he could snag. Maybe someone who thought the coast was dumb and hadn't found a home yet. Yeah, that was being a bit unlikely. Just a tad. Either way, he wandered from field to pasture, and when he felt he was probably within hearing range of wherever she wandered to, he raised his head and howled. If she didn't show, well, at least he could maybe make a hunt of it on the way home.
nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Immediately following her meeting with Astaroth, Ying went back to find Fengmian and enjoy the afternoon company. She had become quite fond of her old friend; while things were unlikely to turn out the way she'd hoped, she knew that he was someone she could depend on.

It was difficult to pull away from his company, but Mal's howl sounded like one she should answer. Ying called her response — Hang on! — and made her way in his direction, frowning lightly as she drew nearer. They still had some things to talk about, things that she didn't plan on letting go of anytime soon.
[ hover for translations ]
sequoia coast · open for threads (3/5)
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Ah, good! She was around. He redirected his path so that he'd meet her somewhere round about the middle. Trotting that way, it didn't take too long before he spotted her.

Talking about the mercenary stuff was pretty much the only thing on Mal's mind. And honestly, enough time had passed he'd guessed that Ying and Hua had probably been able to talk. They hadn't, but he didn't know that. So, he greeted her with his normal smile, Good to see you're around. I assume you're up to date on the news and all that? I had been planning to bring a couple of my fighters with me but instead I've run into a whole other issue. But no fair just news dumping it all -- gotta give her a chance to talk too. Would also give Mal a chance to make sure he was handling things the right way.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Somewhat, she replied. The Moonspearians had mentioned the attacks around their territories, and had given some crude descriptions of the perpetrators, but Ying didn't know anything else. Their location and alliances, or any other important details, were all still unknown. We know the same things.

The guardian was curious about this new issue, but wanted to talk about something else first. She adjusted her posture and settled into a seat, canting her head curiously. You had sex with my sister? Ying asked. Hua had already mentioned their coupling, but she needed further verification. What will you do if she is pregnant? That's what it came down to: would Mal be active in their lives, or would he be just like the other men, using another sister for dishonest means?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Okay, good, so that'd make it easy for Mal to frame his future question. He'd just been about to continue on when Ying totally flipped subjects on him. He gawked for half a second as his brain reset and tried to find the right starting point. So, apparently the sisters hadn't met up again? Or if they had, his ideas hadn't been passed along. Er. Yes? Hua and I already talked about it. You haven't seen her? She mentioned your uh.. Concerns. How best to summarize? We thought if she is, couldn't it be framed as some pre-arranged thing to strengthen the relationship between the packs? If that's still too scandalous, then maybe frame it as some sacrifice she's making to build the pack -- she said it was mostly your family there, I doubt there'd be an excessive number of pups. Not that he knew that Ying had gone through her heat as well (or what might have happened there). Slight smirk then as he seemed to have found his footing in a sense, I'd have invited her to stay her first time by but we both lead. Did he want to try to explain to Ying that he was of the opinion Hua should be able to do whatever the hell she wanted? Eh, wasn't on his list of ideal things to do.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Of course, Hua's reputation was one of Ying's concerns. However, her priority was the Empress's wellbeing. You don't understand, she sighed, shaking her head, Being a mother, and not having their father, it is too hard. I want to know you will not just, leave her, if she is pregnant. What was Mal's plan? Would they set up visitations, or would one pack move closer? She didn't want her potential nieces and nephews to grow without both parents.

Anyway, back to the important stuff. What is the problem? Ying asked. She wondered what had changed, and why Hydra hadn't mentioned anything. There had been some turmoil in that direction, though... Curious, Ying pressed her head forward, eyes alight with urgency.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
The two sisters had very different views of what was the actual problem, he tipped his head slightly, That wasn't the concern she brought to me, obviously. So what, was the entirety of the pack going to leave her to her own devices? The leader, at that? It's not like the packs are that far apart -- and we're allies. If she needs help, she can call at any time, I don't just abandon people for kicks. Would that be it? Well, guess he'd see in a minute. But he didn't want to encroach on Hua if she didn't want or need it. Whatever silly handwaving was needed to win over her packmates to the idea, that he'd be happy to do, but given he was technically raised mostly just by his father (even if after a point Delight had given up), it didn't seem as crazy as Ying was making it seem.

Oh, were they finally going back to the topic he wanted to talk about? The problem is now the best warrior I had -- the one who was supposed to help train the rest -- he and his mate, who he did train both left and haven't returned. Damned if I know why. But I was curious if you might have one in your recruits who might be interested picking up where he didn't even start, at least for a couple cases. He'd survived with mediocre skills thus far, but he wasn't about to go try to train anyone in something that he was unsure about.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Although dissatisfied, she decided to move forward. These weren't her children, and this wasn't her fling (thankfully), otherwise she would have had more to say on the topic. For instance, wasn't it better that Mal either be wholly involved or not involved at all? The children deserved better than a part-time father.

Orochi, or Aiolos. The former enjoyed power, which training would give him, and the latter was willing to obey. Had Ying known about Olo's union with Ruo, she wouldn't have mentioned his name; a father's place was at home with his family, just as the mother. How many? She needed to begin planning a timeline, and assessing how all of their missions could be completed in a timely manner.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Okay, so they were moving on. Neither name meant anything to him. Was that a good or a bad thing? Two come to mind. The one for sure, Atausiq. The other, Simmik, I will have to speak to -- I want to make sure she can defend herself, but if she's fine stopping there, then that's her choice. I hope that it won't be too long before we can add a person or two who could help with the rest. Preferably whoever Kratos' replacement was had a sense of humor, and whoever was Zeph's replacement was less weird about some things. He didn't like relying on people outside the pack. It wasn't the way things should work. But since it was an option -- the only option -- he pretty much would have to take it. How would you have their training work? Location, timing. All that.

He skipped subjects slightly, And at some point soon I'll be going back to visiting the other packs as I'd been planning. If I find more information about the attackers, or the pair come back, I'll let you know.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Similarly, neither of the names was familiar. Ying shifted in her seat and looked toward the coast, thinking about how they could make this work. Could one soldier train both wolves? She didn't want to send both of them to Neverwinter, not at the same time.

Looking back to Mal, she asked: Can the trainer stay with you while they work? Ying figured that he would have the room, as rarely did packs become too full for one more wolf. They stay until the snow melts, or until the work is done, and train your people. She didn't know how long pregnancies normally lasted, but figured that the women of Yuèlóng would be finished by spring's end.

I want to send someone for the pair, too. She wondered which wolf would be most suited for a covert mission. Neither, really, but she could talk to Fengmian about it later. Someone to get in-for-ma-tion. Do you know maybe where they are? Hydra had expressed her animosity for Merrick and Astara, and had also made some good points. Allowing them to roam free was too dangerous with the season coming to a close.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Mal nodded, That'd be fine with me. He had no idea how long the actual training would take. Hopefully reasonably fast if Hydra was going to go poking hornets' nests any time soon. The whole thing didn't have much of a timeframe... That'd be something to ask next time someone crossed paths with her.

And then to the second subject, he shook his head, Not recently, only know old history and what Hydra said. I was going to look when I go to the other packs. Since I know all their scents, I'm tempted to go farther to look, but the problem is they know mine. Or at least would if they paid attention when they came through here the first time. I'm not eager to get myself killed in the process, too many other things I'd rather be around for. Which was entirely true. He didn't even need to joke about that one -- the trio were crazy and the two additional ones had to be mean as hell. And it'd be a disservice to all his children, current and future if he ended up a corpse so soon.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
She agreed. Going into the danger zone without reinforcements was dangerous and too risky, especially for a leader (and potential father). Ying nodded her head, then asked, You have someone to send with my wolf?

Having someone added to the assignment would accomplish two things: (1) it would leave less room for misbehavior, assuming the second wolf would hold the first accountable, and (2) it meant the ability to gather more information. Ying hoped that this mission would not require violence, but knew that two wolves stood a better chance than one.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
At least he didn't have to argue about it. Hydra had seemed very interested in seeing if he'd be along personally. But how long would it be before her plans? Hadn't he thought of this before? Whatever. Dealing with what was at hand... Yeah, I got a couple of options, but I'll want to double check which would want to go. If you need to organize it on your end, perhaps you could send information with the one you'd be sending here to train my wolves? Have a meeting spot and I could send my wolf there to meet them or something. Unless you prefer a route where we'd be on the way. Even though Simmik was the main one he'd think of sending since he'd known her longest, he wanted to make sure she was trained... So Vallkyrie? He'd mention it to both when they next crossed paths.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Sending wolves between packs didn't feel like the right decision. She didn't want their trails to be any easier to follow than was necessary, and so thought that a separate meeting place would be the best decision. 

Immediately, her mind went to the Glen. Moonspear had laid a claim on the small territory already, but they were allies in this mission. Ying lifted her head and proposed, Send them to the Glen, near Moonspear? Somewhere by there.

To further conceal the identities of the assigned, Ying wondered if they should have a password. Something that only those involved would understand. Maybe, we tell our wolves, keep your names a secret. Give them new names.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Mal nodded. Ying did bring up a good point, something that would make it safer for them should they not end up just outright killing the trio when Hydra got involved. Worth considering -- could always pick some neutral land and say they had been contemplating starting a pack there and just wanted to check out the neighbors, too. Just add in a few layers of plausible deniability when it came to dealing with wolves like the trio -- bringing an angry set of teeth home with them wasn't ideal, what was was losing them not too far on the route home.

The one she'd be sending sounded like more and more of a good method to send messages in advance, And you could tell us who you'd be sending when the trainer arrives, along with any other information that should be passed to the wolf I choose to go. Exact meeting time and all that.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
There wasn't much more to be discussed. Ying felt satisfied with the conclusion they'd drawn, and assumed that Mal felt the same. Soon, we will talk again, she assured him. The guardian was anxious to get home and deal out assignments, and so nodded her final goodbye. Should he request that she stay, Ying would do this, but began walking under the assumption that he would not.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Indeed. 'Til then! A chipper finale to it all. The whole thing seemed weird. Not what he was expecting, at least. Well, on the bright side hopefully he'd have more time to figure out how to deal with her in the future. Mal thought she had some pretty weird reactions to stuff -- but then again, maybe so did Hua. At least he'd sort of solved a few things though... Assuming it went well. Time would tell. But didn't it always?