Hoshor Plains and i'll spin for you like your favorite records used to
207 Posts
Ooc —
Private 
hunter thread for @Ira!
He'd left @Evergreen behind for this task, despite their agreement that he would join Winterbourne on his hunts from now on. To be fair, he isn't actually hunting; he's simply surveying the land, taking stock of Kaistleoki's goods in a way. He trails one fresh prey-scent, and then another, and a third, and his spirits start to lift.
He's idly trailing a slightly-stale bison trail when the snow starts to fall lightly around him. He snorts, pace increasing a little. The snow will eventually cover the scents enough to make them near-impossible to follow, and he wants to see if he can find the herd before then. Hunting something bigger would be good for the pack, he knows, especially with spring coming. Soon there will be puppies to feed, and their mothers. Providing for Speedy and her pups had been easy for Kaistleoki, but that had only been one litter, and he's certain there will be more this year.
Winterbourne's voice is low and raspy due to a throat injury during his childhood, and it can sometimes be difficult to understand him.
lift me higher, let me look at the sun
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
With her leg strengthening by the day, Ira was determined to stick to the borders and provide the safety the pack desired. Often she found herself alone along the edges of the plains, sometimes encountering one of her fellow packmates who were willing to join. Today was like most though, silent and empty until the scuffling of another through the snow caught her attention.

It was Winterbourne, nose lowered as he judged the ground eagerly. Hunting most likely, an area her own skills lacked aside from small creatures. Truthfully she can't recall ever having a conversation with the male that didn't stem from Evergreen's presence, and even then it was Eve who dominated the conversation. Perhaps she should work on that now that she was the sole leader of Kaistleoki...

Glancing to the surrounding land it was easy to see no one was visible nearby. One or maybe the only benefit to living in the plains. Surely their presence was strong enough that she could linger for now. Ira turned from her path to catch up, a chuff given to announce her presence and avoid startling the quiet male. Find something?
#DAA520 , pawprintIra's Playlist  3/20*, * = incomplete threads
207 Posts
Ooc —
He notes Ira's presence even before she chuffs, alert to his surroundings in a way he often forgets to be. He knows he needs to be careful while tracking prey, though; he's learned that through trial and error over these last few months of hunting relentlessly for creatures he rarely found. He slows briefly to allow her to catch up, then continues at the pace he'd kept before. Bison, He tells the Count, suddenly hyper-aware of the roughness of his voice. He tries to focus on the promise of bison instead of thinking about that, or about how he's hardly ever spoken directly to the tall woman before this despite being in the pack from the beginning. He'd seen bison briefly during his time at Golden Shores, but never up close; they'd been too far from the shores and too much of a hassle for the pack of fishers and bird hunters. But something so large might serve the pack well just now. I'm hoping to find the herd. You can join me if you'd like.
Winterbourne's voice is low and raspy due to a throat injury during his childhood, and it can sometimes be difficult to understand him.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The one-word answer was enough for the Count's ears to perk. She had yet to see the heard that roamed here, but their presence was clear when Kaistleoki was first forced to move to the plains. Perhaps things had finally settled enough to bring the heard back. Ira paid no mind to the raspy voice, instead moving closer as Winterbourne invited her to join.

I can't promise that I'll be great help. She was never the best hunter, nor tracker, but she did at least have experience with bison. The memories were faint, but Ira could recall the hunts back in Easthollow. Valette was always skilled at directing each member to efficiently help. The roan woman's thoughts snapped back to the task at hand, her nose lowered as she now picked up the scent. I used to hunt bison in Easthollow. Their leader does a good job tracking the herds.
207 Posts
Ooc —
Company is enough, He says amiably, immediately deciding that he likes her. Honesty is something he's learned to appreciate. Besides, it seems she has more to offer than she thinks. But it seems like you know more about them than I do. I've never hunted one, but I've watched them a few times. How did they do it in Easthollow? The scent is starting to grow fresher, slowly but surely. The change is subtle enough that he might not have picked it up a few months ago — but that was before the famine sharpened his senses.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Winterbourne is quick to assure her that the company is enough, although she doesn't consider herself the best company either. Most find her too intimidating or she just has no interest in the small chit chat of idling by. Perhaps he didn't need to talk with her to be a good company.

The man seemed interested in the ways Easthollow hunted bison. Perhaps he too sought to be a skilled hunter like Evergreen. The two were often seen together after all. Ira tilted her head as she thought back to the pack hunts. The pack usually split, one half driving the herd away while the others singled out the target. We avoid the face since the horns can be dangerous, hooves too. It's easy to be kicked. In all honesty, it did not seem too different from hunting deer, size aside.

The stronger wolves would throw their weight at the bison and try to latch on while the others took fast bites to weaken it. Eventually, it should collapse or stop running giving time to finish it off.
207 Posts
Ooc —
The explanation is thorough, and about what he'd expected in many ways. There is valuable insight to be found in her words, however, and he finds himself mulling them for a few moments before he responds. What's the best way to finish them off? He settles on when he speaks again, half his attention still focused on the scent he's tracking. He makes a mental note to discuss Ira's explanation with Evergreen, too; he'll be more likely to remember the details that way.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Same as any large prey. She took his silence with ease used to the quiet herself. Although in this case it was likely due to him keeping note of her words instead of avoiding a conversation. A clean bite on their throat is tough. It will likely have to be downed first or take a few tries, but it will get the job done. The scent was growing stronger as they paced, it was a good sign for sure. Hunting the bison would feed the whole pack properly, perhaps there would even be excess.
207 Posts
Ooc —
trashes dialogue and writes vague nonsense
He nods slightly, about to comment on how strong the scent has gotten — but he's interrupted before he can even start by the throaty call of a bison. He glances briefly to Ira, then turns his focus to locating the creatures without startling them. The last thing they need is a bison stampede; he's never seen it happen before and doesn't really know if they have the same disposition as deer and other large prey, but he imagines it'd be pretty bad. Better safe than sorry. Finding a good, safe vantage point proves a little trickier than finding the herd had, though.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
A response never came from the male, but one wasn't really needed. They had both heard the call as their attention was quickly directed to the heard nearby. Apparently the two had traveled closer than they originally anticipated. The Count left Winterbourne's side to investigate from another angle. The plains left them with few options to gain an advantage, but it also left the heard out in the open. Any injured or weakened members would be somewhere deeper in for protection. 

After spending some time looking around and taking note of where the group was, Ira would slowly make her way back to report her findings. The best bet is to come back with a group. We'll need to spook them into running away so their vulnerable members are reachable. Until then there was nothing the pair could do, they would have to return home.