Bearclaw Valley saying you're to blame
sʟᴏᴡ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴋᴇᴇᴘ ᴡᴀʟᴋɪɴɢ
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
All Welcome 
dated for like, whenever after @Evien has joined. @Taylor and toad r both a little torn up c: additionally tagging @Merrick , I figure u might wanna pop in here ?? :P

They had traveled with Taylor in the lead. Toad didn't enjoy being lost- having to be lead by someone you'd just dominated in a fight wasn't a comforting thing. Like anywhere they could turn into a dark corner of the woods and Taylor would shred him right there. But they made it, and Toad was pleasantly surprised. 

The valley was a pretty place, colored with the scents of few but clearly marked often. Evien was among them, and Toad's nose twitched eagerly at the smell, heart feeling lighter at the thought that the doctor was nearby. There were others too- a man, a woman. Another young boy about his age. The idea of meeting new faces both excited and overwhelmed him. 

He pays Taylor a glance- wondering if he should bother to howl, or whether the people of this place would arrive soon enough. Unsure, he settles down onto his haunches, beginning to clean the injury on his forearm with salmon pink tongue.
116 Posts
Ooc — marsh
They stand at the Valley's border, one grey-haired and one blond, both bruised and bleeding. Taylor, in his characteristically unfocused and neurotic way, does not think of the possiblity that he could take Toad to some clandestine alleyway and beat him to death there. He's too busy with grappling his brain.
The inside of him is not worth describing in detail. It is dark and windy and violent, like standing just under a helicopter.
He tips his head back and howls, his Adam's apple dipping low then rising. His eyes search the forested border for any signs of @Evien. Already, he can imagine his green eyes from fifty paces away, his slight limp. Already, he can imagine him scolding the both of them: what was the point of that, you guys are such dumbasses, and Taylor would've laughed, if he could've.
Taking a breath, he smooths out some of the rougher edges. They sit in that post-fight silence, and the only sound is the rasp of their tongues against skin.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Evien had been wandering around the borders, searching for a place to put his den. Perhaps he should go for somewhere more toward the center of the territory, but it was more stifling there - more bear scent, more wolf scent. Not enough room to breathe. So, he continued his search toward the outer edges, looking for some sort of structure that might house injured wolves and himself. 

What he didn't expect to come across was the scent of blood. And not just any blood - wolf blood. Mingled with very familiar scents.

His steps quickened toward the border, where the two figures stood. If he were human, he would've approached with his arms crossed, but as it were, the annoyed arch of his brow would have to do. Green eyes scanned them over quickly - the wounds weren't bad, and the only smells on them were each other and perhaps a fox. But no fox did this.

Evien tipped his head to the side, glancing between the two of them. "Well?" he asked coolly, his temper pushed down just below the surface. A silent invitation for them to explain themselves, tempered with an I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed. There would be time for being mad later.
this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
just a cameo for now; ill hop back in after a round or two

bloodied boys on his doorstep. merrick prowled closer. sunflower fields and an earl-grey kid close by. he listened to their breathing and smelt the blood, his orange eye glinting, a curious cyclops.
evien came. his voice was stern in a way merrick liked. a pride in the healer. rust-hued nape prickled with interest; he kept himself veiled, watching the trio.
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
assuming merrick in not in the line of vision?? IDK. lemme know if I should edit :"P

Taylor does the work of calling Evien, and then a heavy silence falls over them. Each moment that passes is excruciatingly long, and every part of him hopes that Evie will appear sooner rather than later. It doesn't take long, thankfully, and soon he's there with a furrowed brow and an icy little question. And another thing, too- he doesn't see him just yet, but the scent of another comes to him. He tastes the air curiously, but wanting to avoid looking suspicious, doesn't pull out his darty-eye tricks just yet. Choosing to focus on Kastner- if the other was nearby, surely he would show himself in time... 

Toad narrows his eyes, glances at Fields, coughs. I offered him lunch and then he wanted to fight. So I beat the shit out of him, He explains nonchalantly with a little shrug and a sniff. Just bros being bros, fighting eachother over stupid things like the pretty doctor standing before them. Toad goes back to licking at his elbow, feeling slightly uncomfortable about looking into Evien's disappointed gaze right now.
116 Posts
Ooc — marsh
Just as expected, Evien was as prickly as ever, and Taylor winces inwardly. He focuses on his arched brow until the world becomes that single patch of skin, curved by facial muscle. The dissapointment was so thick in the air he thinks we ought to have been given gas masks for this one. 
I wanted to see if he could fight, and he could, he says, his words careful and metered. Then, with a flat, dry smile: It was a good lunch.
He braces himself just in case of explosion. He'd never wanted to escape dissaproval like this— everything rolled off his back or slipped inside of him unnoticed, but this want was like a thorn in his side, a heaviness in his stomach, something he found trouble with burying. It annoys him to no end, that for all his effort in building walls, they would falter as soon as he allowed them to stand on their own. He's interested in joining.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Now, Evien had no bearing on who joined or left in Ursus, but in this moment, staring down these two dumb boys (both of whom he'd already had to help, one on multiple occasions, with medical issues) that didn't particularly matter to him. He knew them both, and knew that they certainly knew better than to tear each other apart like this. 

"Did it occur to the two of you that all the snow hasn't melted off the ground?" he asked, green eyes traveling between the two of them. Both of whom seemed like they did not particularly want to make eye contact with him. "It is extremely hard to find the proper herbs to treat injuries right now. There is not enough to go around for two idiot boys who decided to take bites out of one another." And Fields had an injury on his neck. Did they not know how dangerous that could be?

Evien sighed heavily - if he were human, he'd be pinching the bridge of his nose to stave off a migraine. He loved what he did, honestly, but dick-measuring contests that ended in bloodshed? Ugh. Boys. "I'm so fucking glad you two had a good lunch. What good future packmates you are, tearing into each other like that." His voice dripped with sarcasm - he was layering it on as thick as he could manage.

"Merrick has the last say in whether you can stay or go, but I'll treat your injuries regardless," he told Toad then, feeling as though he'd aged ten years in the span of this one conversation. "Both of you." His attention shifted back toward Fields. "But I want apologies, not just to each other, but to your pack, for wasting resources." Evien was serious, too. "I could've sworn you two knew better than this."
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
Taylor seemed relaxed, and so Toad allowed himself to ease up too. Quit being so nervous. But soon Evien is making him nervous and uncomfy all over again- picking them apart now with both words and gaze. Toad winces at each blow. For all of Evien's prettiness, he sure could be a real pain in the ass. 

The name of the big man is dropped- Merrick- and he stuffs it away for later. And at the end of it all Evien asks them to apologize! Toad had to hold down a smirk and a snarky comment of you sound like my fucking mom. He wasn't exactly the most mature kid out here, nor especially humble, and so his ego cringes at the thought of an apology. 

But he wasn't completely an idiot- he knew it would make things a lot easier if he just cooperated. So he offers a half-assed Sorry, muttered casually under his breath. And then, turning to the blonde, Sorry Taylor. Even though you started it...
116 Posts
Ooc — marsh
And so the onslaught began— Taylor watches it go down from his mental nuclear bunker. Wave after wave, the lights on the ceiling trembling and sputtering. He knows that it was a stupid thing to do, he knows that any sane man would've just took the stranger by his hand and led him down to the Valley on his spurred boots, but it had already happened. Guilt worms a hole through him. Huh. Hadn't felt that one in a while.
A slow inhale. 'm sorry. To you. And him. And Ursus. Toad's remark is only salt to the wound, but he bites the inside of his cheek, and flicks his ear as if to cast it off. We really are spine breakers, aren't we.
Shame and hatred and confusion roll around inside of him like grit on a riverbed, tossed up by convection currents, but he looks repentant and sullen enough on the outside, a look he had learned well from his brother.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
evien was commanding, sarcastic, piquant. devilishly impressive. but he had already earned merrick's respect.
the coywolf slipped from cover, padding toward the three with a relaxed air. two sheepish, and their healer lording over the scene with hard green riverstone for eyes.
"who's your friend?" he inquired of evien, jerking scarred muzzle toward the newcomer. he saw no reason to ask what had transpired, for kastner had handled them. merrick would not involve himself in that which did not pique his curiosity.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Fields, at the very least, looked more repentant than Toad. Was the gray boy even trying? Evien sighed through his nose and closed his eyes to stave off further annoyance - his temper could be a cruel thing, and he really shouldn't take it out too much on these two. The wounds weren't that bad, after all. Nothing life threatening.

Merrick showed up then, and Evie flicked an ear toward the coywolf, green eyes still raking over the boys in front of him. "Not really a friend, per say. I found him one night a while back, throwing up because he ate rotten fish." A smirk, then, devious and directed at the gray-furred boy. Toad had been the one to throw Fields under the bus when they first showed up, blaming the fight on him and then bragging about winning. He needed knocked down a peg or two. "His name is Toad. Apparently wants to join. Would you mind too much if I took him to the medicine den and fixed him up a little, with Fields?" It was only fair that he asked permission.
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
Soon the cyclops presents himself, looking lax as he questions Evien. Toad remained silent and unmoved as Evie smirked at him, describing how they had met. Things might've been different with a different individual, but one of the main things about Toad was that he was completely shameless. He owned everything he did, no matter how disgusting, idiotic or cruel it seemed. It was impossible to embarass him with only the truth. 

As Evie asks about fixing them up, the boy knew the conversation was between him and Merrick. Still, he felt it right to say some kind of hello, for etiquette's sake- and so he offers the king a little Greetings, Merrick. with a respectful dip of his head. He had no idea who this guy was but he knew how to appease a leader- they were pretty egotistical, right? Liked to be bowed to and all that shit.
116 Posts
Ooc — marsh
He flashes a savage and uncharacteristically expressive smile at Merrick, though its gone in a blink. Almost like a tic. He searches Toad's expression for any reaction to Evien's quip and is duly impressed when he sees none. Perhaps this was the centimetre of common ground between them.
Greetings, Merrick. Now that was amusing. Suddenly they're in a conference room populated by a single dark grey oval table, fumbling for their business cards and the laser for the powerpoint. 
Greetings, Merrick. May I ask what's the action plan for this semester?
It's easy to shove down the smirk that tickled and hid underneath his facial muscles. Shoving it all the way back to the nerves, the spinal cord, the synapses in the brain. He does the same with the rest—the anger and shame are shuttled off in the samsonite luggage on a conveyor belt leading to nowhere. Cut to a sign labeled arrivals. Expectant waiting just came to the terminal.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
evien snapped things in neat clipboard order, a high-ranked official standing alongside indulgent, smiling merrick. "of course you can," he droned in answer, winking at this toad. nothing like a bulbous amphibian, but stranger things had happened, he supposed. "he seems polite."
he trailed his grin to fields. "just boys being boys," merrick marvelled, teasing the blood-dappled pair before nodding smartly to evien. "i'll leave you in charge here." 
a titter; he began to lope past the trio, ear turned backward in case he was paused for any reason.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
I'll make this Evien's exit. Toad and Fields are welcome to follow him. 

Polite? Perhaps not. In fact, Evien didn't really know Toad to be polite at all. Not that that meant he didn't like the other. Merrick left the medic in charge for the moment, which brought a smile to his face. It felt nice, to be trusted enough to make decisions like these. But since Evie himself had been accepted based on a spar, he supposed that this wasn't the strangest way someone had been allowed into the pack. 

"Please don't encourage this behavior. They're still in trouble," he groaned at Merrick at the term boys will be boys. Evien preferred boys will be idiots. Nonetheless, he was given the power of decision making here, so he cocked his head to the side and turned to head toward the medicinal den, gesturing for Fields and Toad to follow him. "Welcome to Ursus, Toad."
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
Merrick didn't seem bothered by any of it. Like it was all good and pleasant, and Toad liked that- the fact that he wasn't going to bitch about something like a fight. Fights would happen, it was just the way of relationships, and there was no worth in trying to stop them all. That's what Toad figured, at least. 

Of course Evien wouldn't lay up, and tells Merrick "not to encourage them". Merrick's in charge, right? Not you. He thinks to himself, but his face remains neutral. The pretty boy welcomes him then, and he can't help but smile by default, eagerly following the cute chocolate prince despite his irritating personality. Ursus. A new home.