Stone Circle You had the chance to be a good thing for this pack
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Trade 

AW! Short and sweet to get something started

With @Nanook ’s heat over Siarut was more confident leaving her side and continue his self-appointed duties. It had been sometimes since he had done a patrol of the border. And given the possibility of children soon, Siarut was hyperaware of Easthollow’s sovereignty. The large, pale, man made quick work of the distance to the very edge of their claimed land. Pausing briefly to look out into the vast no-man’s-land.
Inuttuk, Common

[Image: nsUn6t6.png?1]
{1/5} | {2/10}

Spring had hit and the woodland boy found himself avoiding snow patches more and more as the days passed. Just like Leta he had found it amusing at first, but as winter hit full force it just got cold and wet. West wasn't fully aware of what Spring entailed, but he couldn't wait for summer again.

These thoughts took over his mind as the young boy traveled towards the borders, his tail giving a light wag behind him with each step he took. Clay had returned recently, maybe that meant Newt was close behind? The thought excited him long enough until the white man came into view Uncle Siarut! Have there been any signs of my brother? West made use of his long legs to catch up and match his Uncle's steps, although he couldn't help but step excitedly in place. Not that Newt was back, but he was sure the scholar would be back soon.
#008000 , PawprintWest's Playlist 10/10* 2/10, * = incomplete threads
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg

oh hello there nephew!

He wasn’t alone for long, before the still lanky boy was bounding over. Siarut slowly turned to see his rambunctious nephew. “West Tyree, good morning.” Siarut started by saying, taking a step on his routine path. The trail he knew well, and helped him gather his thought while being productive. “Of Newt?” Surely the boy knew his brother Clay had returned, but Siarut wanted to be sure.

Siarut almost wished the boy might not know that Clay was back, if only so he could be the bearer of good news rather than bleak news. For the news about his brother Newt was bleak. Of course, Greyback was searching for him, but the Patriarch hadn’t been back for some time. With concern ghosting his green gaze, Siarut continued on his path, both males long limbed enough for a steady pace.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

It seemed his Uncle was quick to pick up what he was referring to. Maybe he too was keeping an eye out for his return! Yeah! He left to find Clay and now that he's back Newt is bound to show up sooner or later. Of course, these were all assumptions, but they made too much sense for it to not be the truth in the woodland boy's mind. I missed Clay's return so I figured I'd sit on the borders until he came home. He trotted easily, eyes scanning the borders eager to spot his brother's pelt. He could feel it, any day now Newt would return.
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Siarut knew little about why lead to Clay leaving and Newt to follow after. But he knew the whole family had missed them both dearly. Humming to himself softly, the large man shook his head. "I haven't seen him, no." It was curious though, if Newt had found Clay they would have probably arrived together. It was much more likely they boys had missed each other. Leaving Newt to wander without reason.

Choosing to keep his observation to himself, Siarut took a different approach. "I know you're parents would appreciate the help maintain the borders." They were all getting older, Valette's children, and he knew sooner or later they would need to start handling their fair share of the chores that needed doing. At just shy of year West Tyree could be a big help along the border.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

It was sad that his uncle hadn't seen Newt, but he also wasn't surprised. When clay came home he was called so even if he missed Newt, surely he'd be called to the borders as well. That's ok, he'll be back eventually. The woodland boy swayed his tail at the comment, he always did like being appreciated. It was much better to receive praise than scoldings. You think so? I kinda just come out here for fun. You never know what you'll find! Although he never really found anything interesting. Every now and then a stranger showed up, but usually his Mom or Dad took over. Do you walk the borders often?
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
It was obvious that the boy was disheartened when Sia admitted he hadn't seen his brother, but as usual Siarut was surprised by how well the yearling took the news. The whole family often surprised him with their positive energy and outlook, he often wondered if he and his siblings would still be together had their upbringing been in a pack such as this. Then again, the tundra had a way of hardening even the most joyful of people. And Sia would never wish to have been raised anywhere other than the vast expanse of the arctic tundra.

West Tyree quickly got over the lack of Newt, and beamed at his comment. Sia gave a small smile at his child like glee. With his size it was often hard to remember that he was still so young. "I do, I walk a section everyday." He wasn't so bold as to lay down his own scent on the land, but he was sure his scent could be found if you searched hard enough. No the northern man walk the length of the territory to ensure there weren't any other scents about. "I spend time making sure nothing has entered the territory we don't want. Like strangers, or other predators." Siarut wasn't sure where his companions education had taken him, but had always found it better to over explain something then under explain.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

Every day? That seemed like a lot, what if he was sick or bored. You come out here no matter what? Do you ever have a day off to do something fun? He had just said that he enjoys walking the borders, but honestly West wasn't sure if he could commit to doing it every day. It wasn't _that_ fun...maybe if he walked with someone though. It seemed strange to him that a stranger would trespass, all the ones he met called from the borders.

The woodland boy tipped his head to the side in thought, there was that one person who attacked Leta when they were young Do predators know to stay away from borders too? What kind of predators were there even for wolves? The only creatures he had seen bigger than himself are the bison, but they lived inside the territory and he never once saw one of them hunt a wolf. The realization grabbed his attention back to the wilds past their land. Was there something out there watching them?
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
He couldn't stop the chuckle that emerged at the boys question, it was soft and understanding. "It doesn't take long, a couple hours if I have other tasks to see to. But generally this is what I do for fun." Siarut honestly didn't have much fun these days, honestly he didn't spend as much time on hobbies as he used to. The harsh realities of his life made it difficult to relax, and so walking patrolling gave him time to think while also being productive. But he had no intention of revealing that sad tidbit about himself to such a young and energetic young man.

"Some predators do know to avoid us, but most don't really care. Especially our more formidable enemies, such as bears and cougars. They often enter without thought." These were the main reasons Siarut spent much of his day walking throughout the land, to ensure these other hunters weren't in fact hunting them.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

Bears and cougars, West had heard of the former before, but luckily never ran into one. If he recalled some said his father looked like a bear, but that didn't make sense to him. Maybe they were as big as Greyback...that was a scary thought, even if he almost rivaled his father in size. Where do cougars live? I haven't really heard anyone talk about them before. Hopefully they were a rarity, but nevertheless the woodland boy would be more careful on his strolls and try to keep an eye out for dangers as well as strangers...not that strangers couldn't be dangerous either.
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
The questions was a good one, but Siarut wasn't sure he really knew the answer but he offered what he could regardless. "From what I can gather," cougars were knew to him. He had never dealt with one before, and there hadn't been any in the north, so he had to rely on what others had told him throughout his travels in the south. "they live in very similar places to us wolves. But there are fewer of them. They live a solitary life most of the time, and generally keep to themselves. From what I've heard, they need a very good reason to attack a pack of wolves, but often go after pups, solitary wolves, or small groups." He hoped that helped answer West Tyree's question. Siarut glanced at the boy briefly to gauge whether that's what he wanted to know.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

last post from me! feel free to respond or archive

The boy hummed as he moved closer to a tree to mark. So they could be near... That wasn't great news, but it was good that they rarely attacked a pack. That meant Easthollow was most likely safe. West's thoughts drifted back to Newt who was likely traveling alone. Was he ok?  He was sure his brother would make it back to the hollow in one piece, but he still hoped he was safe. I'll be more careful then. I won't let a bear or cougar attack our home either! He had never really been in a real fight, but he had always been good at wrestling, plus he had his skills as a hunter to help balance out. Surely he could hold off an attacker until backup arrived.

Alas that was about all the attention West could give to the topic. He had been wandering along the edges for a while and it didn't seem like Newt was coming home today, or at least right now. Thanks for the information Uncle Siarut, I think I'm gonna go check with Mom for some hunting. I'll see you around though? Providing Siarut had nothing else to add that would keep him, the woodland boy would head off with a sway in his tail to seek out the Matriarch.
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
thanks for the thread!!

He was glad that he had convinced West Tyree to pay more attention to his surroundings. It was always better to have more eyes searching, regardless of how inexperienced those eyes might be.

And just as quick as the boy had arrived he was off. Siarut nodded his ascent to seeing the young man soon. There was a budding warrior in that one, Siarut was sure. Regardless, the northern man continued on his way. He had another hour or so before he would call it a wrap.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}