Bearclaw Valley wounds inflicted by reason
hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
Private 
Backdated to March 24, shortly after bear with me. <3

Actual bloodied pawprints bid he journey Westward. For Ico had given it an hour or so, and now simply could not resist the pull of  curiosity and concern towards where the brave healer had led poor Fields. Though nary a less suitable word than poor had  been uttered to describe Fields, who towered above so many and was no doubt chuckling at his one-eared reflection right this very moment. Ico felt comforted in imagining this, as he followed those pawprints towards the valley's coarse edge.

The blood faded into a crystal stream, but by now it was easy enough to see the opening of the healer's den, sheer black in the surrounding moonlight. Perhaps Merrick and Astara were also here by now. The thought gave Ico pause, one silvery paw hovering uncertainly, for he found the Alpha pair magnificently intimidating. But no, he wanted to help, he really did. Perhaps he could fetch herbs or convey messages; or just keep quiet and listen.

So Ico tentatively approached the mossy den, ears alert for beckoning or tirade.

@Evien
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Evien was exhausted, to say the very least. From treating Fields, to searching for and then proceeding to care for Astara as well, and the stress of the fight earlier, Evie was about ready to collapse. His fur was muddy and bloodstained, paws cracked from how far he'd walked. And he still had so much more to walk tomorrow, in search of the man they'd fought.

This was... immensely hard.

The healer was crouched beside the spring in the den he'd found, washing the mixture of Fields' and Astara's and his own blood from his paws and face. He hardly even noticed when the other boy approached, and the only reason he did was the sound of light splashing from the entrance.

Looking up, he was almost startled to see the small white wolf slinking up. That's right - he was going to seek him out later. But it seemed the boy had the same idea. "Hi," he said, a bit dumbstruck from surprise and exhaustion. "Uh, you can come in. It's alright."
hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
The healer emerged from the black den, weary and bedraggled in the moonlight — a sure mile off the vital young wolf who'd flown in to break up the fight only hours hitherto. Ico hadn't much noticed earlier, but this male had a physicality that was starkly different to the other Ursus wolves he'd met thus far. In fact, more than any of those bristling powerhouses, he looked a lot more like... Ico. But with a more confident and rooted presence.

Hullo... the boy said softly, continuing his gradual approach. He noticed that the healer was wet, adding to the look of a man who'd been through the ringer. I'm Ico. Is everyone... how's everyone doing?
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Working all day would do that to a guy, causing even the most energetic and healthy wolves to turn into a bedraggled mess. And that wasn't Evien - the boy was certainly not the most healthy of wolves, and he had been through the wringer today. Ursus was definitely tougher to handle than he thought it would be, but he wasn't one to back down from a challenge.

This little snowflake of a wolf was actually the closest build to himself he'd seen since he got there. Small, slight, dainty, almost. Only, this one was far cuter than he could ever hope to be. Ico. A wispy name for a wisp of a boy. 

"I'm Evien. Evie, if you'd rather call me that," he greeted, his tail wagging at a slow pace at his hocks. "Everyone is... bloody, but healing. They'll be alright, if they don't jump back into a fight again." He sighed, closing green eyes for just a moment before he turned his attention back to the other boy. "I wanted to apologize for earlier. I must've sounded like a real asshole, telling you to stay out of my way like that. It was nothing against you at all, just... I didn't know how serious things were yet and I was worried for everyone's safety, and I couldn't afford to be distracted." Evien gestured with his head for the little wolf to enter the den. "You can come in whenever you like."
hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
Evie was a lovely nickname, and suited this calm sprite of a wolf, right down to the verdant eyes. But Ico felt he had to earn that familiarity, and so for now he stuck with Evien. His newest idol.

Healing. Good. Phew! Ico nodded, comforted. But then his submissive silver ears perked with alarm as Evien apologised, and it took Ico a second to put two and two together. Poor Evien had had more than enough on his mind already, yet had still taken the youth's feelings into account. Ursus wolves had value in abundance, but this was the first he'd met who demonstrated ready emotional intelligence.

That's really kind of you to think of me, but please, don't apologise — I completely understand, and I promise I wasn't offended. I just... I'd like to make myself useful if at all possible. He chanced a smile as he went timidly into the den. So please use me. For what he wasn't sure. He just knew it wasn't fair that Evien should be so tired and bedraggled when Ico stood here so free and in tact.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Taking care of the Ursus wolves meant more than just their physical health - mental stability was equally as important. Making sure Merrick was somewhat stable, ensuring Kepler's fears didn't affect his sleep too much, and now taking care of Ico's insecurities. It was manageable, and Evien found it frighteningly easy to care about these wolves. 

A lopsided little smile spread on his maw at the other boy's words and he shook his head. "No," the medic said gently, nudging the other small wolf's shoulder as he entered. "I won't use you. But," he continued, heading into the den and turning to face the scarce herbs he'd been storing on slats of sticks he'd lined up against the back wall. "If you'd like, you can help me. Gathering herbs has been hard, because I can't really travel all that far with just the three legs, or carry that much on my own." 

A sheepish glance, then, at his left hind leg. "Do you know much about herbs?"
hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
Sure enough, Ico's mentality was along the lines of wishing he could be of use, not wishing he could be of help. But Evien, with an elegant smile, requested the latter, and Ico's ivory brow rose with surprise — but he smiled back. The very fact that Ico had four perfectly-working legs rather than three was impossible to deny, and so the youth saw that he really could be useful. No — helpful.

Russet eyes quickly adjusting to the darkness of the den, Ico saw that there were a few little plants lined neatly on some sticks at the back. Herbs? Erm... he'd been about to assert that no, he knew nothing about anything, but then he recalled a certain incident at Walnut Grove.

"If they smell unfriendly don't even think about nearing them, lad. Get those ones by the inlet. No not those, idiot. If they smell sweet and that's all, they're nothing but decoration. Grab those that smell fresh and subtle. The ones that smell like life or lunch. Get those."

Not much, but... I was taught the basics on how to sense the good from the bad from the merely decorative.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Good. Bad. Decorative. Was that how people who weren't trained to be obsessed with health from an early age learned their plants? That wasn't the most... accurate way to identify plants, he thought, but perhaps he was wrong. 

"That's a good start," he told the boy with a smile, tail still waving behind him as he regarded the other tiny wolf. "Tell you what. You bring the plants to me, I'll tell you what they're for. Do we have a deal?" It was a friendly tone, excited at the prospect of having someone around to help and teach. This would be ideal.
hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
Ico, deep-down an insightful sort, felt that what little he could offer here was more useless than not, but it was at least something. And as Evien said, it was a start. Everyone had to start somewhere, and if they were hardworking and patient, that somewhere could lead to something... well, better than useless.

Deal, he nodded, though he still couldn't quite fathom what poor Evien could get out of this. Ico pictured himself rocking up with mouthfuls of dead grass and thistles, and the young doctor having to force a smile of encouragement as he disposed of it all.

Should I set out to find some now? he asked eagerly.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
I'm so sorry I didnt realize it was my turn! Do you want to fade with your next post?

Evien smiled at the little wolf's eagerness, but shrugged his shoulders. "It's kind of dark now, so I wouldn't, but you're welcome to. You can also sleep in here if you'd like, for the night," he offered, turning around to move up to his den. It was an open invitation for Ico to sleep up there as well, if he wanted to.
hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
No problem at all! <3 And sure, we can fade here~ tyvm for the thread ^______^

Ico got the slight impression that Evien was respecting his ability to choose, while also subtly suggesting that he get some shuteye. It had been a very eventful day, after all. He wouldn't want to be a nifty little eager beaver dashing back and forth with various herbs and showing Evien while the poor healer tried to sleep. It was time for some quiet, and — though it wasn't really the Ursus way — some peace.

So he gave a shy smile of thanks, and a light nod, and prowled around the den for a short while in curious exploration, before finally settling down in a dark corner. It would be some time before sleep overcame him.