Mudminnow River And what you get
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
Another trip, same goal as before. The weather had broken again, so she picked a different direction and headed out. If she kept wandering, she had to find something eventually. Hopefully something that appealed. At least she wasn't searching for new territory -- that at least hadn't changed. The river was familiar, and not a favorite place. It just existed. That was about it.

She saw a distant herd of deer -- if it could even be called that, it was maybe all of three -- come up and drink from the muddy water. They weren't what held her interest today. She wanted to find the rogues that she could take into her own fold. It would be nice. But so far, not much recent luck. And so, she'd keep looking, walking. She held a sort of southeastern path.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
19 Posts
Ooc —
Away
His thoughts on this place were...not very high. The murky water left much to be desired by a man who had lived on a peninsula of lush life. Perhaps he could give it bonus points for at least having life, though. The scent of raccoons along the leafy plants that lined the banks and a fresher scent of deer.

He kept plodding along without much direction. Just...north. A steady pace and smooth rhythm carried him. Until he spotted someone. A rather large and solid figure. Lightly colored, but also not. He'd halt to watch them for a moment. Didn't much care to think if they might find him rude.

He was more interested in where they might be off to.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Arbiter wasn't one to think there was going to be any sort of nice magical things about. The world was frequently a dry and disappointing place more often than not. And what was this place? Just one of those places you traveled through rather than having it as your destination, let's be real it was the wolf equivalent of Kettleman City or something.

She had a route in mind, so she was looking towards the path ahead when she spotted the darkish figure sort of heading her way. For a moment she wondered if it was Merrick, but no, different size. So probably not a worry. Maybe a small detour to see who that was, then -- or at least make it if he seemed to be interesting enough to be wort the time. She adjusted her path just slightly, noting it was obvious he'd spotted her as well. But was he just going to stay there? Whatever. She whuffed at him, a slight tilt of her head, but that was about it. She wouldn't wander over to him, but if he'd meet halfway, then they might actually chat.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
19 Posts
Ooc —
Away
She didn't do much, but it was more than his stalking deserved. He'd make a move to stroll a bit closer to her position. He didn't intend to get into her personal space, just be close enough to better see and hear each other.

He very well could have said anything to be friendly. Instead he just inhaled deeply, examined her a bit better now. Then very gently returned her whuff with one of his own. Then began a slow, low and steady swing of his tail behind him.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
The distance closed to something a bit more conversational. Except no conversation started up immediately. Not a talkative one, it seemed. He wasn't ignoring her, but he wasn't speaking. It immediately made her wonder whether he would be truly worth the detour or not. She'd find out soon enough. 

She searched the air in his direction, trying to discern a bit more about him before speaking, What brings you here? Arbiter wasn't exactly offering up many clues about what she was seeking, but being mostly unreadable was kind of her thing. Besides, it was generally a good thing if a stranger just saw her rather unemotional side -- it meant she wasn't pissed at them.
19 Posts
Ooc —
Away
It was the million dollar question, the same one he wanted to ask her. Passing by. Traveling. A slight roll of his shoulders. It's not my usual scene, but I figure there are better areas to see or settle, no? Spring and summer were meant for travel, in his eyes. Especially when everything was in bloom and there was so much to pick from. Still. A smart creature kept a home base.

And you? Perhaps she was like him.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Yeah, that sounded pretty true to her. There certainly are. I've claimed the area with the two hills back behind me, with my family and my pack. And I lived in a forest not too far from here... But this place? It's a place you walk through. It didn't take much to come to that conclusion -- she had to wonder about the water, she wasn't exactly keen to try it just because of the appearance alone.

But he did mention settling, which did gain her attention, even if she didn't show it. Arbiter was usually a subtle creature, but she did ask, Looking for anything in particular? It was a roundabout way, sure, but it was better than jumping to conclusions. She wasn't desperate, after all -- if further conversation seemed to prove he was a fit, then she could be more forward about it all, assuming he wasn't when it was his turn to speak.
19 Posts
Ooc —
Away
He would gaze a bit behind her to try and spot the two hills she spoke of. Whether he saw them in full of not, his attention would drift back to her. More interested in conversation with the woman than longingly staring in the distance.

She'd earn a little laugh from him at her claim of this certainly being a place to walk through. He'd have to trust her on this.

Something stable, I suppose. Which...was not much to start with. In the land and structure wise. He didn't wish to live on some sinking river bank with a group of savages. Hills with family sounds nice. What's it like? Perhaps prying a bit much to see how much he could gleam about her little slice of land.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
An open question and an open answer. After Merrick's visit perhaps she was a little bit more reserved about her advertising her pack. Or at least she liked ensuring that who she might attempt to recruit was at least mentally stable, I'd like to think it's a place of opportunity. A new start in a land that has all we could want, where those who should be recognized actually are. Probably a few more things like that that maybe mean not so much for you, but are things I've learned. Instability isn't worth my time.

Arbiter's pack bolstered her own existence whether it or its members realized it or not -- keeping them all alive and happy was to her benefit in the end. But then again, if everyone got to live a happy life, didn't everyone win? Or at least so went the theory. So far she hadn't really dealt with anyone trying to ruin it. If there's something more specific you're looking for, I can let you know if we'd be up your alley. A slight tilt of her head there.
19 Posts
Ooc —
Away
It sounded nice. Even if he wasn't given exact specifics, he was given enough to have a certain image in his mind of it. A small smile played at his lips.

A place to practice my healing skills as much as my fighting skills is important to me. I don't particularly want to be expected to do one thing and one thing only. He was not sure if he could confine himself to one interest. There was so much to do. So much to be acomplished in his life.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
So at least she was good enough at selling it that she hadn't turned him away from her description of it. I'm Arbiter. My pack is called Legion. I don't limit those who would certainly aide the pack, for those are skills that are always needed. And potential students for the former. Her quest to find Pheiros a tutor had thus far ended in failure each time she'd gone looking. Why it was nobody seemed to have a healer around, she wasn't sure. Surely they had to exist somewhere or other. Just apparently not anywhere nearby 'til now. She was curious to see if that was something that interested him too.

Arbiter peered at him, If it might interest you, is there more that I should know about you? She was, after all, the one who had the power in the situation, didn't she? She controlled the pack, decided who was in or out. Another set of paws and jaws would be nice, but not the end of the world if she had to keep searching.
19 Posts
Ooc —
Away
It would be a pleasure to have students. The more there are that are trained, the safer and healthier we can all be. Of course, not everything could be cured or helped with but...it would certainly help in times like now. When new life was bustling about and activity in the world seemed to pick up more.

Then she asked a question that had thoughts bouncing in his brain. What might she like to know? What was worth sharing and what might bore her into chasing him off?

Well, I'm Vidar Archer from Torbine. Left to see and learn more. Although I don't think wandering is exactly my forte. To hint that he might not be much of a scout if she ever needed one. I'm just ready to apply myself somewhere. Somewhere that wasn't Torbine. Not that he had anything against home, but it was easier to learn more away from where you had always been.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Good. So this might actually end up working out for the positive. She didn't say as much aloud, but nodded. One he was settled in, she'd make sure that he and Pheiros crossed paths if they didn't immediately do so. Given he was speaking of  both fighting and healing, she suspected he was not the absolute expert at both -- but it would be a start. If additional training would be needed, hopefully by then they would have expanded the ranks.

I don't think it's many people's goals to keep wandering forever. In Legion there is certainly room for you to show your skills and to be recognized for them. I can give you that opportunity to stop wandering. A brief pause, and assuming he didn't abruptly change his mind Arbiter then continued, I always ask my people to tell me what they want -- what their goals may be so I could help them achieve them, and reward them for their loyalty to the pack. Think about it, let me know once you're settled. Though it may be her little outing here would have a detour. Thankfully she wasn't too horrendously far along her trip yet. It would be easy just to bring him back to the Bypass then go catch up with where she was planning to be.
19 Posts
Ooc —
Away
thinking this could possibly be wrapped up and something new soon?

It all sounded wonderful. Of course he wanted to be recognized for what he did and a place to achieve his goals.

You're building something great that I am honored to be able to align myself with. Although it would seem he would need to find out what he truly desired. His biggest and first goal to reach so that he might be aligned to meet it. I will have an answer for you soon.

He would be happy to answer anything else she might wish to ask him, or simply carry on the trip back in comfortable silence.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Yep! Sounds good to me.

So Arbiter was at least reasonable at talking up her pack. She knew that for some it might seem impossible but she was fairly sure she wasn't reaching too far with it. Maybe some individuals might, but eh. That's something they had to deal with, and they were probably the sort that created their own disappointments really frequently. They were probably used to it -- or should be.

But moving back to the point at hand... Good, let me know. I'll take you back to the territory for now, but I think you'll be on your own for the tour -- I have some other exploration I'd like to do. But any of the current members should be able to point you in the right direction if it's needed. She wanted to see what Lost Creek Hollow was like these days. Not for any particular reason, more just because it had been a while. For some reason it seemed necessary. Some sort of weird sense of closure maybe. She'd started to turn slightly, Though if there's more you wish to know, you can ask as we walk. It wasn't like they'd met right on the metaphorical doorstep. It was a little bit of travel at least.