SETTING: Near the entrance of Ursus
Weather:Rainy
Cool
Sunrise

TERRITORY: Bearclaw Valley
TAGS: n/a
plip plot   plip plop   pliplop

A new scent on the wind. Dark. Heavy.

Clay had noticed it for quite some time, it's presence making itself known recently from over the meadow neighboring Easthollow, it's trails lingering close enough for him to pick up around the time they had refreshed the borders. He had wondered briefly on it, but hadn't intended to ever visit, to investigate and greet the new pack, to see what type of creatures inhabited it.

But something about the rain soaking his fur and the scent of it accented by the wet made him be pulled by it's lull in the early morning. The songbirds had been quiet on his walk over, their voices hushed by the soft downpour. And as he arrived at it's opening he gazed upon it with a squinted gaze from behind an outcrop. Large and imposing like the stones, the heart of it stood surrounded by the shell of a mountain—a natural protection.

He hadn't dared to enter—no. He merely watched by the borders, squeezed to the side of the sturdy wall to be as out of sight as possible. Watching. Waiting.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Ursus had officially formed, and things had not changed. The hands on the clock kept ticking, the wolves - and not-wolves - of the group kept living. But there was a sense of finality here, of the feeling that Evien was in a place where he was meant to stay.

The boy was returning from gathering fresh herbs for his stock when he saw the stranger. His senses were too filled with the scent of the plants held in his maw to tell where the kid had come from, but he'd never seen him around Ursus before.

Evien set the plants down at his feet and cleared his throat for the kid's attention, posture relaxed. "I'd be careful if I were you," he called, a small smile on his maw. "They don't take well to strangers around here."
Ghost
"God is every bit as feral as that which he creates."
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
Could be a cameo, he's still pretty far away.

The comings and goings of the pack did not concern Revui. It should have, but he was far too invested in the terrain within the valley to be concerned with whatever lay outside of it. His newest routine involved scouting sections of the territory — and by chance he had done a brief circuit of the exposed borderlands when he spied Evien's returning shape. He did not know this particular creature and so he drew himself onward, on an intercept course.

The nearer he got the more familiar the scent became; either because of the herbs they carried, or because Evien's scent was overlaid across most of the territory already, as he had been a recruit for far longer. Whatever misgivings Revui felt were put aside at that point. He slowed his strides and came to a halt with a few leagues to go, and that was when he noticed the stranger had also stopped. They appeared to be distracted by something hidden from Revui's view, and that did not bode well for anyone.

The woods have always been filled with these soft doe-eyed things;
with hearts beating for the arrow, the bullet, the lance.

I have always been the huntsman.  ⤑

185 Posts
Ooc —
Clay had not heard the paw-steps getting close, only the voice that made the fur on his nape prickle. With a ripple of muscles under his pelt and a  jump, he turned slowly to the wolf, who he assumed was part of the pack, brandishing the dark scar that sliced his cheek deep enough leave a patch of missing fur—a gift from vengeance.

The stranger, like him, seemed to be littered with their own history of mistakes, judging by the lack of...limb.

Clay raised a brow at that, staring at them with a cold and calculated jade gaze. "What is your name? Who are you?" he asked sharply, disregarding their warning for his own question. He had not been aware of the other creature around the corner.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
The boy was so high strung, which was perhaps very hypocritical for Evien to think. Spinning around and snapping out questions like he had the right to when he was the one spying in on someone else's territory. Still, Evien regarded the boy with an amused smile, keeping his body lax. This was... funny, he had to admit. Entertaining.

"Relax. Of all of the Ursus wolves, I may be the least dangerous. No need to be so stressed," he assured, but humored the kid with his name regardless. "Evien Kastner. I'm the healer here." He took a few steps closer to the boy, scanning him over with a keen eye. It didn't look like he was injured. "Now would you be so kind as to tell me who's at our doorstep?" Evien continued, unaware of the massive shape of Revui beyond the border.
185 Posts
Ooc —
Green met Green, and as the other—Evien approached with a slow gate Clay inhaled a sharp breath, his chest puffing out and head held high in order to hide the fluttering of his heart deep within his breast. Damn this stranger for picking up on his state, he would have to do better in the future to control such a thing.

Foolish that he didn't in his time with Nightwalkers.

Unrelenting to let go of his suspicion, the boy stayed posed at the other with a deepening scowl, his tail slowly but surely rising in irritation at the other's order. "Clay. Clay Apaata, prince of Easthollow." he stated. "Your neighbor," he tacked on just for clarity as he picked up the other's statement. Dangerous? Were these wolves like the monsters of Vengeance? Were they perhaps lost pawns to the mad king?
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
The low din of voices muddied the air, not that he could discern what was said over the sound of his own body closing in. The wolf he had been observing did indeed appear distracted, and the closer that Revui got the more he could make out; mostly that the earth-hewn creature wasn't whole, but also that they were having some kind of discussion with another. They were still partially hidden — but as Revui came up behind Evien (whom he dwarfed considerably) the Ostrega caught sight of familiar eyes in the gloom.

—tell me who's at our doorstep? spoke a voice he didn't know; in return came one that was startlingly familiar; but he couldn't place where he'd heard it before, mostly because the only time Clay had spoken in his presence was to scream
Clay Apaata.

He didn't pay attention to the rest; rather, Revui moved in quickly to shove the tripod-man aside and take up a looming presence before the stony boy, tracing his eyes over the scar upon his face (which wasn't familiar) but then noticing the way that he was hunched, as if to protect his hind. That was familiar. A slow grin tugged at Revui's cheeks as he took on the affect of a bemused crocodile.

Then, his voice more a groan than anything, he drawled: You again.

[Image: tenor.gif]

325 Posts
Ooc — Van
Before Evien could even consider replying to the boy in front of him, he was suddenly quite roughly bowled to the side by a massive stranger. Considering the fact that one leg was useless, Evien had poor balance on the best of days, and far less when dipshits like this decided to shove him down into the mud. 

The boy got back to his feet and whirled on the man - part of his pack, he realized belatedly, but certainly not someone who had been there very long. Green eyes blazed with anger and his muzzle wrinkled just slightly. 

"I don't know what history you have with this kid, and I honestly don't give a shit," he began, stepping forward so he could position himself between the males and try to gain the beast's attention. "If you ever shove me down like that again, I will put buckthorn in your next meal and you'll be shitting all over Ursus." Evien narrowed his eyes at the larger wolf, muddied fur along the name of his neck standing on end. "Are we clear?"

He had honestly kind of forgotten about the boy behind him in his anger, but he'd remember in a minute.
sʟᴏᴡ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴋᴇᴇᴘ ᴡᴀʟᴋɪɴɢ
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
The commotion at the border was one that caught his attention quickly- he was a border patrol type of guy, after all, and crazy shit going down wouldn't go unnoticed for long. Toad shifted his path, making his way towards Revui and Evie, arriving just to hear the last couple of words from the healer. And forest green eyes flicker upwards to the awkward- pretty- stranger. Why was he here? And why were these two acting like a bunch of idiots in front of him? Toad pulled himself forward, cutting a half-circle around the two. What do you think you're doing, threatening your own packmate in front of a stranger? You wanna look like a dumbass? Why was his heart beating wildly? Hoping Revui didn't beat him up for this, or Evie didn't threaten him too- he was just trying to keep the peace, right?

And his attention comes back to the pretty boy. His heart beats a little faster then too, but he quells it, looking him up and down. This guy didn't smell like Ursus. Who is this?
185 Posts
Ooc —
A figure, dark and wide appeared to him like a shadow, their looming frame casting a dark reflection over Evien before shoving the poor soul to the side with a force too strong to be taken as playful. Clay grimaced at that, pulling his frown back and eyebrows taunt in question. It reminded him a bit of Nightwalkers... which the stranger shared likeness to another in his time there, and it wasn't until they voiced their familiarity that the Easthollian's gears clicked and recognition flooded his mind.

Revui. He knew the man, of his temper and sour attitude much like his own.

But he wasn't going to let the scum get to him without a game, and with a smirk Clay gracefully tipped his head to the side, revealing the underside of his throat as if it was a treat to the beast of his nightmares. "I believe you're mistaken. I don't quite know who you are," he said sweetly.

And there was the onslaught, bickering and threats before his eyes. It amused the boy, and when a new stranger approached Clay straightened up and hid his smirk to a gentle smile as he met their gaze. "My, my, seems like Ursus has quite a bit of trouble inside," he stated, his voice still composed and cool. "My name is Clay Apaata, Prince of Easthollow. Your neighbor, as I mentioned to Evien here."
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
Eruptions came all around him. Intently staring at the so-called prince, Revui barely reacted to the agitated yearling as they spat accusations at him; he only had eyes for Clay, evidently, or at least the crux of throat that was brandished before him like a taunt. Another voice spewed forth and a flick of an ear was all Toad received - but Revui settled somewhat, and glanced to his compatriots with the mirth leaving his expression.

He was tempted to knock the dark boy away again just to shut him up, but didn't. Instead he leveled a chilling look upon him as if he were an eager boot heel, and Evien a gnat. He would let the newcomer deal with the boy; Revui lacked the patience. He turned back to watch Clay, and offered: You escaped the pit. Clever boy.

this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
merrick cared not for the words bandied on his border. the scent of easthollow was here, and it was one he knew. 
cackling beneath his breath, the boy leapt the thinnest part of the river threading through his valley, and came upon a group of his wolves around an unfamiliar young man. the dissent in his ranks was disinteresting to merrick; he saw no reason to take sides. let revui and evien deal with their own battle.
but another time, and not here.
his dark plume sliced through the air commandingly as he arrived upon the scene to flank toad. but like the ashgrey giant, he too only had eyes for the interloper, and the mocking words upon his tongue. "better run before i let them eat you," merrick joked, though his roguish grin did not meet his eyes.
"easthollow comes to visit," he announced to the others, despite the fact the stranger had already spoken. his single eye burned back toward the boy. "you've seen the place. carry a message for me?"
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
As much as Evien hated to admit it, Toad was right. That temper of his was fairly explosive, but being shoved into the mud like that would probably get anyone angry. "Yeah, you're right. Sorry," he told the taller wolf, then cut eyes toward Revui. The apology was not at all meant for him - they could discuss that later. But there was no chance the gray wolf was going to succeed in intimidating the medic, even if it was beyond his better judgment.

Green eyes flicked back over to the child who'd approached their borders. "That's a bit presumptuous for someone who was lurking just outside our borders like a peeping tom," he responded, arching a brow as Merrick approached the scene.

Evien would have left there, but he did want to hear what message Merrick wanted to send.
i'm going to bring it all back to you
848 Posts
Ooc — Lauren
Guardian
Rogue
astara came not far behind her bear, gaze summarizing the assembly in a cold sweep of indigo. all she recognized save the whelp at their doorstep; her hackles lifted in displeasure.

easthollow. she had never forgotten the murder that had transpired so close to their borders. had they..?

yes — better for the little princeling to run — before he found reckoning in ursus’ many-jawed teeth.

»» they may promise you that the river ain't too deep. ««
»» player policies ««
28 Posts
Ooc — mercury
cameo pls skip unless addressed

While Merrick was within the borders of Ursus, Fraser didn't stray far from him. Not glued to his side, true—but within scenting distance. He didn't feel comfortable away from his master. So many of the wolves here were still unknown to him; only Merrick, despite the damage he'd done to the deerhound's tail, was familiar. The devil he kent.

The dog trailed a short distance behind the leader, chocolate-drop eyes taking in the sight before him. Ursus wolves, and a stranger. Tempers were high; voices were raised. Looking dubious, he approached further, though kept his distance, a silent gray shadow to the side.

No harm would come to Merrick, or so help him. . . Fraser's gaze flickered between the young man at the border and the demon, waiting for the eruption of tensions—or not.
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
Evien was agreeable, which was nice. Good. Toad, like Merrick, didn't give a fuck about whatever problems lay between them- only cared that they keep it to themselves, away from the eye of the stranger. Of the enemy, actually- he introduced himself as the prince of Easthollow, and Toad laughed aloud. Easthollow, eh? He mused as his gaze flickered upward in thought before coming back to the boy. I don't like your attitude, man- He'd begun to stride forward, toward the stranger, scarcely paying attention to Revui's presence- but the feeling of Merrick coming up beside him stopped him in his tracks and words. He was a knight here, yes- but Merrick was the monster they ought to fear. He was quiet as the cyclops spoke then, an ear flickering backward to acknowledge the approach of the blackbird too, though forest green haze remained coolly focused on Clay.
185 Posts
Ooc —
woah, a lot more characters than I anticipated for a border thread where there was no trespassing! //sweats

More shadows appeared, flanking their master—who seemed to be a youngster around the same age as he. Clay watched as the man slunk forward, his orange gaze meeting the Apaata in a single orb that commanded a ferocity he had never seen before. He watched silently, standing tall as if he was a stone of the circle himself, tail braced out at level of his back and chin raised. It was almost as if he was having a dick measuring contest with this soot colored creature, if you could call it that.

He ignored the others.

"Im afraid i've been eaten long ago, sir. There's not much you would find a likening to... Nor loss I would grieve," He fired back, voice cold as the rain that fell above only to cascade downwards and dribble off his chin. "I assume you are the leader? I will carry your message."
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
I am skippable from this point on, and Merrick may pp Revui as needed.

They emerged from the woodwork to the din of voices, but Revui ignored each of them. It wasn't until Merrick spoke that he gave heel, drawing back a step (likely brushing against the three-legged wolf) and slanted a look towards him. There were enough bodies here to make easy sport of Clay, should the order be given. They were like eager vultures swarming to a carcass. The mountain man said nothing; he waited, and turned his attention back to the boy when he agreed to ferry whatever message the shadow would give him.

this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
hotheaded e-boy central

merrick hadn't been around to hear their guest introduce himself as a prince, but the bearing of the easthollow wolf was clear. regal. elegant. the bear vessel hated him immediately. "well first, you're very pretty," he mocked in a gentle titter, though the appearance of the stranger was not at all unpleasant.
"secondly, i'm merrick. i don't expect you to know who i am, but i know easthollow."
"lastly, you take after greyback. so the old man is still kicking," he growled softly. "he was ancient when i was a child, so he must be ready to die now."
merrick snickered, but the laugh died into a strange small smile on his mouth.
"tell greyback and what was her name? the den mother, valette? tell them both i know easthollow is a den of toothless old wolves and children. i demand an audience with them, but they will come here. to ursus."
a bare-tooth grin. 
"and i expect both of the elderly fucks to be here in a timely manner. we are, after all, neighbors."
his eyes left the finewrought boy, sliding with a smirk and a silent warning to the most argumentative among them: evien. 
silence this time. ask me about it later.
and then merrick belonged to the interloper all the same, his focus full-bore and waiting.
325 Posts
Ooc — Van
There were so many Ursus wolves here, but that made sense with how defensive they were of their territory. Evien sighed through his nose at the dramatic little boy - he was beginning to get irritating, and Evien was becoming bored with this whole meeting. Such a tiny creature would not last here, in a fight with all of them, but perhaps that would be natural selection at its finest. 

Revui stepped back and brushed against Evien's side and the brown wolf was hit with a sudden awareness of the muscle on the massive wolf. He was strong, and, if Evien could have actually gotten a good look at him before this fiasco had begun, attractive. Perhaps not as much so as Kepler was, of course, but he would've had to have been blind to think he was anything but handsome. Evien cast a quick glance at the man before clearing his throat and turning his attention back to Merrick.

Oh, that was a threat. One that Evien had not been told about before. The boy quirked a brow at him but said nothing in argument - they'd talk later, he expected.  

"Ah, fuck," he whispered under his breath, turning to go pick up the arnica he'd gathered before. "If any of you want to make a snack of this kid, I won't stop you. He's annoying," he called over his shoulder. "Might want to leave him alive to carry along that message though." That was more directed toward Merrick, with an underlying see me afterward.

Evien picked up the herbs and moved back to head across the border, intent on bringing them to his den. 
Evien's exit unless stopped. 
848 Posts
Ooc — Lauren
Guardian
Rogue
bold of the stranger to lift his chin and keep his tail up among an audience of territorial wolves. bold... or stupid.

astara marked the boy with a cold glare, her black plume of a tail arcing over her haunches in response.

it would be easy -- too easy -- to make an example of the child at their steps. it would be like shooting fish in a barrel; amusing, but where was the sport?

she, along with her ursine compatriots, watched this boy converse with her bear hungrily. she was proud of each of them -- the healer, the gargoyle, the silvered sylph -- they showed ursus as a finer force than easthollow could ever muster.

all merrick would need to do to unleash toothy bedlam was say the word. astara's gaze bore into clay hopefully, wondering if he would be as limp and pathetic between her teeth as indra had been.

»» player policies ««
123 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
This kid needed to learn where he stood. This was not Easthollow, full of children and elders and fairytales- it was Ursus. If Toad were human, he'd be rolling up his sleeves now, ready for a brawl- but rather he listened to Merrick, contented by the king's cold words. What a genius! It was the perfect little speech; perhaps now pretty prince Clay's blood ran cold. Evien ruined the cool atmosphere Merrick created with an interruption, but Toad had to agree- this asshole had too much attitude and pride for his own good. The mexican wolf thought he could use a beat down a notch or two, and hungered for it in some ways, but he knew it was not the command- and so he remained in place, though fur prickled with eager adrenaline.
185 Posts
Ooc —
Since clay is insighting drama here. Feel free to beat him up! Please do not kill him though, or rip off any limbs.

'Pretty'
Clay drew his ears back at that, snorting directly into Merricks face with a puff of hot air. He didn't take kindly to that word, no matter how many times it had been spoken or uttered to him; loving or cruel— It was degrading. It made his blood run hot, boil under his pelt at the rate that made him feel on fire.

But no matter,— the hot was soon swept away with a chilling tide that froze his bones and made him stiff. It settled in his muscles as this Merrick, this boy, this... leader of some sort spoke words that drowned him on the spot. Whatever cool-headed personality that had been present before was gone.

His father. His mother.

Clay curled his lips up, baring his fangs in a sounding a deafening snarl unlike for someone his size. "How do you know of my family?" he spat, voice venomous. His pelt had begun to stand on end, nape sticking out as took a single step forward. "You dare spit threats at Easthollow? I should punish you for such words."

He was half tempted to lunge at the boy if it weren't for the shadows that murmured and glared, smirked even, at his way. Dumb as he was, Clay knew if he were to harm a single hair on this brats pelt that he would be making a death wish. Some part of him still wanted to, while another part was half tempted to see his father smash this pathetic boy into the dirt.

But he breathed in, snorting again to calm his nerves and straighten up to leave. "However, i'll deliver your message for you. No matter how small it may be," he taunted... and with that he turned, glaring at the quiet female as he attempted to pass by.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
the expressions that threaded over the princely countenance like a river thrilled merrick. in this moment, in his heart of hearts, he had prevailed. he had won almost a great a prize as 
motherblood
anything before. merrick was judge jury executioner, and now demigod. forcing a kaleidescope of temperatures as if he were a force flush fel with energy — he seemed to grow taller, features sliding with a sickeningly slow screech into a demonic contortion of something like gaiety. as if the devil himself for a moment was glimmering at clay and the sheer kingliness of his beautiful figure.
"punish me?" merrick purred, a low sound punctuated by the breathing of the other bearwolves around him, bound in this rapturous moment that would cement the reality of ursus if enacted.
the single eye crept slyly across the easthollower's features almost in a caress, but it did little to dispel the glimpse into hell.
"there is nothing you could do that would ever affect me."
merrick did not blink.
"and you're still going to carry my message."
merrick snapped his jaws on open air, a feral king leveling his sword at an enemy and shouting in wordless wrath as he began the sweep alongside revui.
848 Posts
Ooc — Lauren
Guardian
Rogue
having never been a wolf of generous patience, the last straw for astara came in clay's snarl and show of teeth before the court. merrick may have mastered his composure, but not astara.

clay did not threaten her bear -- no, surely he was not that disrespectful --

but he was.

fat as she was, astara moved as if black liquid spilled over a plain. no show of teeth, no snarl to herald her advancement.

only streaking nightshade.

in several steps she would be upon clay, a silent incubus with fangs unsheathed to grab hold of anything. she did not care for messages or cocky little princelings -- she would show him what the world was truly all about. she would show him that outside of his fairy-tale life of charm there was a whole sector of black imps and monsters, every which one of them howling for their pound of flesh.

»» player policies ««