Big Salmon Lake Etched in the snow as it is in my soul
34 Posts
Ooc — Aislin
All Welcome 
Pack wolves also welcome. 

Time of day; Mid-morning
Weather; Snowing, thirty-two degrees.
Facing south at the north end of the lake, where the river splits and connects to it.

Romus had been traveling as far west as he possibly could until his feet refused to carry him further. Between the snow, the changing terrain, and what he left behind, Romus was tired. Tired of running, and tired of being a coward. Romus hated himself for the events that caused him to be here, and he would carry that to his grave. His family, his pack, all relied on him to do what was right. When the time came for it, Romus chose to run much like everyone else had. Romus couldn't bring himself to cut off the food supply to his family due to a food and water shortage. He was too kind-hearted for that. Instead, he abandoned everything, even his duty, for the sake of surviving and being part of a cause he believed in. 

Every step he took to get to this lake was one much harder to make. Though Romus was unmated at the time, and had no pups, there were those that he considered very important to him. Most understood his reasons for leaving, but that still didn't make it any easier to leave. Warriors of his kind would stay in the most hostile situations to the death if they believed that anything could come of it, but that was the problem. Romus believed that their home would never be stable, survivable, unless they moved to a different location and followed the prey herds. Of course, Romus's closest friend who was the alpha, didn't want to leave the strategic position the pack lived in. In the end, it cost him his life, and his pack. 

Romus sat in the snow conflicted, angry, and lost. All of his life, Romus was taught to never abandon your leader for any reason, and yet here he was. Sitting in the snow, watching the river babble before him with ice cresting the edges. The lake itself was still and motionless, calm, and peaceful. Even with the ice covering its surface, the lake waited for the day that it could be liquid again, showcasing the life it supported and provided. Copper and black highlighted tail wrapped around cold toes as Kane wondered in his mind on what to do now. Forget his history and change his name? 

Yes - to change his name and become someone new. Romus would do just that. 

From now on, Romus would be known as Kane. Kane Ardelean.
Pursuing MercenaryScout Masteries
"Speaking." | -"Singing & shouting."- | Thoughts.
>>Player Policies & Pawprints<<
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
It was Praimfaya Hydra called for this hour. She, too, was a missing face upon the mountain. Grief effected others strangely, but she did not desire to let the girl become a victim of it. So Hydra called for @Azreina and searched with @Alya. They could not find that in which did not want to be found... but she would try. She had cared for the girl, and was surprised by the complete disappearance of her. It was shortsighted and small-minded, but Hydra knew grief caused many to act strangely. 

She broke into the scene with a male looking upon himself in the surface of an iced-over lake. Her ears pricked forward as she regarded him, now paused in silence, blue eyes assessing. Was he a threat, or was he simply a wolf new to the area, passing through? 
tags for reference! 
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
34 Posts
Ooc — Aislin
@Hydra

Kane hardly noticed the other arrive as he stared into his reflection, a grimace pressed hard into his expression. Kane was ugly, he hated who he was, and disliked the fact that he was here while the others had suffered. Why did he have to choose to run when so many needed his help? So many others had gotten sick, or died, while left without his protection. So many in his pack had told him ti was a good idea to go, and yet he felt that it was so wrong. 

There was nothing he could do about it now besides hate himself. Could he hate himself forever? Perhaps. Kane abandoned the one thing he had that was good when it got bad, and now he had nothing. No one to serve, no purpose, and no family to call his own. It was a sick feeling kicking him in his stomach. If he could rewind time, he would do it in a heart beat. Kane was now too far to fix anything that was broken. The only repairs he had available to do was upon himself. That alone would take time.

A paw slashed at the water distorting his image. Kane couldn't stand to look at his reflection with the failures he carried on his shoulders. With a huff, Kane turned to leave to find another place to sulk in, but instead found himself face to face with another who had come. The blackened female simply gazed at him, as if taking in who he was. He picked up her scent and it told Kane she belonged to a pack. But which one? And where?

Kane had paid little attention to where he was besides just trying to escape his regrets and fears. Was Kane that diluted that he wandered into territory that was claimed? No, because the smell of it would have stung his nose sharper than any tooth would. A grumble escaped his lips as he noted her stance. Automatically, his head dipped lower than hers out of respect. Seems as if sense of duty hadn't left him completely, afterall. 

"Oh," Kane started to say, looking around to see if there were others. "I didn't see you there." Nice way to not make it awkward, Kane. 

With the awkward start, Kane continued to lock his golden eyes on her, taking her in as she did him. Her coat was solid black and was well groomed. Ice blue eyes pierced through him as any sharp tooth would. The look she held within was fierce, much like Kane lacked nowadays, and he picked up a sense of elegence. Who was this woman?
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He seemed distressed; Hydra watched as he lashed out at the ice, where ripples had come forth thanks to springmelt, likely to ruin what it was he saw there: himself. That was all much too deep for her to think of. Hydra resolved conflict in one way: teeth. Words never served to solve any of her problems. She had tried, and they were utterly useless things. She had always gotten what she wanted with her teeth; Alya had been so terribly wrong. Better to be feared than loved. Only those that she knew now would get the last of it, and those she would bring forth into this world. The others that had left her behind, that she might meet... she once again found herself tired by the idea of it. If her own brother could turn his back upon her for nothing... 

The two of them were lost within their own minds, it seemed. Hydra remembered him there only when he had spoken. Hydra had not perceived him as threat enough to not drift, so it seemed, but now with his eyes upon her there were things that became more apparent. Wolf regarded wolf, and Hydra, master mercenary that she was, saw the fighter in him. 

You must have lost a great battle, she recognized, voice low. She was beginning to be able to see, to some small degree, what a mental wound could do. But she hardly knew the full extent of the damage it could bring. Her own mental anguish fueled her fire, her rage. Life was a war. It hurt. But when it struck, she would ever strike back ten times harder. She could not live in the past where she had been wounded; there were far better things coming than what had left. Hydra would make certain of this.
34 Posts
Ooc — Aislin
Kane almost let out a laugh. Lost a great battle? More like ran from it. The chortle of a laugh slipped out beyond his control, and he had to turn for a moment to regain his composure. Really, you're such a fool. Kane thought to himself as mused over her observations. She must have noticed his warrior prowess because he noticed something similar in her. Where he had the bulk and the force, she had something a little more nimble in some ways. Probably because of her slender frame. He was bigger than her, but not by much. 

How was it that he allowed himself to be so readable now? To allow himself to be vulnerable, predictable, and caught off guard. Kane remembered the days when his peers were impressed with his skills, or his companions had a tough time keeping him down. Kane missed the days where he could look at this family and be proud of what he was part of. The days that involved laughing, getting into debates, or just simply living. Now Kane felt like he was doing nothing more than dying from the inside out.

"You could say something like that." Kane replied softly, turning his gaze back to her and focused on the conversation. Kane wouldn't allow himself to get lost in his thoughts again, not now. Not with someone standing here. Kane's own punishment he threw on himself was meant only for him and no one else to observe. To have someone here made it difficult to punish himself. This woman seemed to be of no threat, though he wasn't about to let his guard down. "Why do you ask?" Stupid question, but an attempt to downplay himself seemed like an okay move for the moment. 

@Hydra
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her ears twitched as he laughed, then spoke. He was in better humor than she might be about it, though in some things... perhaps the only thing left to do was to laugh. Hydra felt far too bitter to feel any amusement toward the losses she had suffered in her lifetime. Most she had gotten past, but the latest left a new, gnarled scar upon her heart larger than any other. It would harden, in time; Hydra worked again to build an impenetrable wall around it. 

He seemed to confirm her suspicion, in not so many words; her ears cupped forward again but he made no mention of anything further. Then again, I did not ask, she rejoined, her voice absent of condescension. For she had not; she had only observed what his actions seemed to indicate. Hydra peered around them, looking for any sign of her subordinate and not seeing her there. She would continue to follow her nose, but there was something about the stranger that kept her there for the time being. Not for too much longer, but... 

Well, she might as well see what sort of man she was dealing with. We all lose battles in life; it is simply the way of things. What is important is that we win the war, she hummed. It was how the battle-hardened Hydra saw things, in any case. She would ever live to fight another day, regardless of the hurts she suffered. She took a step toward him, sniffing at the air none too absently as she observed all around them. Win or lose, though, I suppose we all die. But how would you like to win? She inquired, her question coming then at last as her interest lingered.
34 Posts
Ooc — Aislin
Kane appreciated having someone else here, even though he didn't know her. Strangely enough, it comforted him a little to know that someone understood what he was feeling or had been through. It seemed this woman had some knowledge similar to his, and had mucn more insight than he currently had. Kane watched her calmly, seeing that she was looking or waiting for others, but also carried on the conversation. It was ture, she did not ask, and Kane bit his tongue in realization. He needed to get a hold of himself and not be so broken as he was. 

A war, huh? Kane supposed that was what he was going through with himself. Kane mused on the thought for a moment before she asked him how he wanted to win. All things die at one point or another, and it was up to those to live how they chose to. Either fight with everything you have, or give up and allow death to take you. Kane inhaled deeply to slowly let it out a moment later. Kane knew that this wasn't him, and because he didn't witness the deaths of those close to him, his family wouldn't wnat to see him this way. Kane could own it all he wanted. It wouldn't change the fact that he was here right now by a lake and that he was safe. The others had to be also in some way.

"How do I want to win?" Kane started. "How I want to win is to not let others down when they need me most." Kane paused for a moment, looking at his paws in thought. "To fight for a cause I believe in to the death, and to support the others part of that cause. Not run because there is no longer a cause to fight for." Kane's ears flattened in disgust, but he pushed it aside. "Yes, we all die at some point, but I want to die knowing that I never ran from those that needed me most, and that I served my purpose to the fullest extent."

Kane looked up at the woman after he finished speaking, a sort of glint in his eye in the seriousness of what he said. It was important to him that he succeed no matter what and learn from his mistakes. The feelings of failure would last with him a long time, Kane knew. Kane wasn't sure how long it would go on for. Eventually he would have to eat, drink, defend himself, all the things he would need to do to survive, so eventually as he succeeded in these things, these very small moments, perhaps it would help him to learn from his mistakes better. The lady belonged to a pack, and he did not. Kane had no one to serve, and if he called it right, she was the one who served everyone by being a leader. Or at least someone very important. 

"I take it you and I are not so very different."

@Hydra
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her eyes were alight upon him as he spoke. Where were more wolves like him? She wondered at that, and wondered if her own cause might be something for him to fight for. Family, and the protection of it; the ending of those that would harm children that could not protect themselves. It was new, and fresh, but Hydra sought wolves with the vehemence he possessed to join something they believed in, and Hydra felt there was no better cause than her own.

His remark was not missed, and she quipped: that remains to be seen, in a low hum. It was not meant to undercut or be cruel, Hydra simply desired to know it better for herself. And she had the time to learn it; perhaps he did, too. His assessment was right; she was a pack wolf, he, not. And she had the ability to bring him into her fold, which she felt might very well be the right thing. For him, and for the cause. 

I am Hydra Ostrega, of Moonspear. And I believe I may have a cause for you, she drawled, quieting for him to fill the space with his own name, and to hear if he might be interested in it. Perhaps he was not yet ready to join one, but Hydra had heard him clear enough to know that he sought one... and so, it did not feel so out of place to suggest. But she would give him the option to inform her he was not yet ready, if that was the case... 

She wondered how alike they might be, and hoped they truly might be so that he could walk with her... and someday fight with her, too. Hydra took a few steps forward, loosely around him, inviting him to join her on her search so that they could accomplish more than simply speaking to one another in one space. Hydra had work to do, but she was most proficient at multitasking.
34 Posts
Ooc — Aislin
Kane remained silent as Hydra quipped at his remark, knowing there was truth to what she said. Hydra had to see for herself if they were alike, so he would wait. Kane would have to do the same anyway because he had no such confirmation that the two were similar in any way. Tail swept the ground in thought as Hydra introduced herself and spoke the name of her pack. Moonspear. It was an interesting name, no doubt, that left a little sense of mystery and intrigue lingering. Kane was curious, but even more so when she mentioned she had a cause for him to serve. 

From what little time their conversation took, Hydra suggested a cause for him to serve. The suggestion intrigued him, and he followed after her as she began to walk. "Kane Ardelean." he said, filling in the gap so that she could continue. Was the man truly interested in what she had to say, or did he want to continue beating himself up? Considering he already had a headache from beating himself up the last few days, Kane decided a change of pace would be necessary. 

"I'm listening." Kane said. He didn't want to come off as the type that would take up any opportunity that came across him, but he also didn't want to be stuck as a loner either. There were benefits of living in a pack that Kane couldn't ignore. From being well fed, to having protection, to even developing connections with others that Kane didn't have, the benefits outweighed the benefits of being a loner which was pretty much none. So while Hydra had a cause, Kane wanted to make sure it would benefit him too and not just the pack she was in. 

@Hydra
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Kane was prompt and he moved with her, and Hydra was to the point. She would not make him wonder. There are wolves within the Wilds that have taken to attacking the young and defenseless. Those that they look to and believe are helpless; children, she elaborated, her gaze falling to Kane. Moonspear is a family pack. Largely, we keep to ourselves. Those not of my blood who join the ranks are welcomed and become that, too, she drawled. I seek to keep the Wilderness safe. Not simply just for now, either. My son was attacked by one of those wolves, and if they return, I would like to bring this to an end so that no more children are harmed. They sought to kill another child the year prior, and that is only one such instance I have learned. Perhaps they have killed more. Perhaps there have been other attempts I do not even know of. As for my cause: I want to prepare my wolves, and my allies, to eradicate these threats. To keep our family safe, she hummed with a lash of her tail. 

Dragomir had her think twice of her own tactics. They could equally take the miserable wolves by surprise in being ready for them once they arrived. Sword and shield lifted, bows strung taut and arrows flying to strike throat and heart and limb. Hydra was here to strengthen the mountain, but she was also here because she felt that she could dredge Kane from his self-loathing and put him to the task in a cause that truly was worth fighting for. And he would not be fighting alone in this. 

Moonspear fights together. And I have allies prepared to fight with us in what might come. We will be ready when it does, she drawled, and we will strike them down. Her nose lifted from atop grass-blades that had emerged from snowmelt as she looked to Kane, wondering if he agreed with her sentiment that this was a cause he could come behind.
34 Posts
Ooc — Aislin
The pair padded through the grass and the snow on the ground as he listened quietly, using on every word she said. The more Kane listened, the more he felt angry. Children were considered precious gifts in his culture and to hear that there were few that would attack the young and defenseless churned his stomach. Originally, he was tasked at preventing such attacks even at the cost of his life. To be without such a role was hard enough.

Hydra continued as she occasionally glanced at him. Kane would nod to show he was listening. Hydra was tasked with many things to protect, not just being a parent or a friend. What Hydra was concerned with was protecting her family and preparing her wolves for such threats that would dare walk on their doorstep. Kane lifted his head slightly higher as she spoke about allies that would fight with Moonspear. It was good to know that they were not alone in this fight.

It was an offer he couldn’t refuse. In trade for his services, he would become part of the family and be well fed. Kane would be tasked at assisting with the defense and protection of the pack. Kane was too in depth with his self-loathing that he felt pathetic, and that needed to change. As much as he regretted what happened, this was a chance for him to strike new, and right the wrongs he had made before.

Kane glanced at Hydra as she awaited his answer. ”I will join your cause and your fight. I was not born and bred to fail and live in isolation.” Kane said, a voice of confidence behind his once sour and sad expression. Something about the whole situation lit him up a bit and he was itching for a good fight.

@Hydra
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra was pleased to hear his willingness, and that she had in fact been right about him. I am glad to hear it, Kane. Are you an able fighter? she inquired to start with, wondering if he might need some teaching there. Additionally, can you hunt well? With a pack, she meant, but individually was just as good too if he could. Though in the latter aspect, she thought mostly small game. Large game was difficult to take down independently. 

With all that had been transpiring, there was much on her mind. But this was a moment of relief, she felt. Hydra had plenty of faith that things would turn around in this direction for all they had endured as of late; they deserved that, she felt. Kane was a good start, and she was glad to have come across him this day.
34 Posts
Ooc — Aislin
Kane listened as she asked her questions regarding hunting and fighting. Kane nodded in response to Hydra. "I can fight well and using defensive techniques rather than offensive. Hunting was not one of my main tasks in my old pack, but I was responsible for using my strength when taking down big game during the times I was enlisted to assist." Kane remembered the last few times that his pack went out on elk hunts. Not yet have they ever taken down buffalo, but Kane had heard that they were a rather glorious feast and achievement to be had. Maybe some day, his new pack could celebrate such an achievement. 

Kane could see that Hydra had a lot on her mind, and that the situation of rogue wolves attacking others bothered her. Kane didn't blame her for such things on her mind, especially being such in such an important role in her pack. The others looked up to her for protection and guidance, and if she couldn't provide that, then what kind of a leader was she? Kane could help Hydra with her confidence and taking some of the strain off of her. If she could have less to think about, it would be the better for her in the coming days.

@Hydra
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra nodded to Kane, listening with apt interest; it sounded as though he was proficient at both tasks, which pleased her. With a waving plume, Hydra nodded and decided, well, I suppose we should return to Moonspear then so you can get better acquainted with it, with a flick of her ears. Alya turned and moved homeward, hearing her from afar; Hydra had spent the better part of the day searching. She was frustrated that today there was nothing to show for it, but she had faith that one of her searches would turn up positively and yield some result. 

Have you any questions, about our pack? she asks; for it was his own now too, given he was a member of it. Hydra was glad for it! 

sry was feeling a lil under z weather <____> ugh!! !
34 Posts
Ooc — Aislin
@Hydra - Totally okay!! I've been busy myself with stuff in the background.

Kane could be proficient with pretty much anything he set his mind to, except he was well versed with fighting, defense, and using his strength for tasks that required him. It left room to grow in other places. Kane nodded in agreement with the statement of heading back to Moonspear. Today, he was no longer a loner, but a valued pack member. It was time to show his worth when he got there, he supposed. To earn his keep. Kane would not let Hydra down, nor would ge let himself down. He had to recover, and this was yet another opportunity to right the wrongs he made in the past. 

Did Kane have questions about the pack? Yes, possibly. He had to know who he would be working with. "Will there be other fighters, like me? Or do you need someone to train them?" he asked. Knowing just how many other protectors in the pack would determine just how safe the wolves would be from random attacks. "And, until the threat is over, will you need the weak and the young guarded and escorterd?" Kane had done that before in his other pack, so this would hardly be an inconvenience should he have to escort those outside the pack. He didn't mind watching the younger or the elderly, so long as it did not take him from other more important duties that might exist.
34 Posts
Ooc — Aislin
@Hydra - Totally okay!! I've been busy myself with stuff in the background.

Kane could be proficient with pretty much anything he set his mind to, except he was well versed with fighting, defense, and using his strength for tasks that required him. It left room to grow in other places. Kane nodded in agreement with the statement of heading back to Moonspear. Today, he was no longer a loner, but a valued pack member. It was time to show his worth when he got there, he supposed. To earn his keep. Kane would not let Hydra down, nor would ge let himself down. He had to recover, and this was yet another opportunity to right the wrongs he made in the past. 

Did Kane have questions about the pack? Yes, possibly. He had to know who he would be working with. "Will there be other fighters, like me? Or do you need someone to train them?" he asked. Knowing just how many other protectors in the pack would determine just how safe the wolves would be from random attacks. "And, until the threat is over, will you need the weak and the young guarded and escorted?" Kane had done that before in his other pack, so this would hardly be an inconvenience should he have to escort those outside the pack. He didn't mind watching the younger or the elderly, so long as it did not take him from other more important duties that might exist.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
There are other fighters, but it could never hurt to train with them. And then there are our younger members who could afford to learn more. I think in every spar there is something new to be learned. And you are not from among the Wilds; perhaps you fight differently, she drawled. Even she felt sure she could learn something from Kane, despite all of her abilities. There are surely some that can be trained. You can call to the pack and see who might be interested in a lesson; I would surely come, she hummed, with a wave of her tail. She quite liked the idea of it.

As for his inquiry, Hydra's ear flicked. I ask that all who travel do so in pairs. So, in a way, yes. But it is not something I actively enforce; in this, you are free to make your own choices... at your own peril, she drawled. Hydra could not protect her wolves from their own stupidity. If they wanted to walk into danger, alone, in knowing of its existence... well, she could not have her eyes on them all. If you see it, though, perhaps you could join them to watch one anothers backs, she offered, hopeful he might.
34 Posts
Ooc — Aislin
Kane absorbed everything in his head as he listened, trying to determine her needs. It sounded like they were well rounded with other fighters, but it could also prove beneficial to have sparring and trainings later on down the line. With Hydra saying that she would be interested in training with him, Kane nodded. "That can be arranged." he said. Kane went on to explain some of the situations he faced when protecting his pack, and some of the more brutal methods they used. Sometimes it was two on one, or one on one, depending on the situation. Sometimes there were factions of three or four wolves that went out and hunted the threat down to kill it and then return to the pack. His home never waited when a threat was nearby. It all depended on the situation. 

When she answered his question on traveling in pairs, it made Kane feel a little more comforted. A slight frown appeared when she spoke of not enforcing it. However it was possible that the threat was not large enough to start enforcing it, however, there was no reason why he couldn't follow along like she said. "I have no problem with following others should they allow me to. I imagine the threat is not severe enough to warrant such enforcement of supervision yet?" Kane asked. 

we can begin to fade out here if you wish, or continue on :) Up to you. I feel like that it might be getting to a good place to fade out on.

@Hydra
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Glad to hear it, her tail waved. She felt already that Kane would make for a good pack member, and looked forward to his presence upon the Spear. As for his inquiry, Hydra considered for a moment. It is less that, and more that I cannot keep my eye upon all to ensure and know whether or not they are obeying. I can only hope they are smart enough to do so, for their own sake, she drawled. The consequence being the injury that could be earned for their pride to ignore such a decree... assuming they survived it. I will tell you more of them along the way. There is a boy, Merrick; he and a nameless, black she-wolf companion have taken to attacking children. One child is the daughter in an ally pack, Easthollow... Hydra began; with him she would share the details, down to Merrick's burnished ruff and the way she knew them both to smell. All this she revealed along the way until they arrived, when the subject turned to something of a brief tour where she showed to him the rendezvous; from there, she would let him wander and acclimate, or rest if he so wished. 
fader from me! I'm gonna make us a new one hehehehe