Noctisardor Bypass curled up, nose to toes
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Limit Two 
Set for 5/5, after the thread with Zephyr.

Kaertok returned from his little jaunts to the other territories with nothing much to show. He (I'm assuming some things here) was aware of a new pack forming nearby, but not close enough to cause alarm. He'd caught up with Jomyo a few days prior to his spar with @Arbiter, and he'd chased off a strange ill coyote precariously wearing bones since then. Life felt like it was back in full swing. He still occasionally though of Raleska and whether or not she would ever come see him, but as the days went on, he thought it less and less likely.

He considered trying to track down one (or both) of Arbiter's kids, but on second thought, it seemed better to catch up with them organically (whatever that meant). He certainly wasn't going to play step-daddy to them, and he didn't expect they would appreciate that sort of gesture, anyway. Kaertok did expect he would be extra-watchful of them when his own children were born, assuming that Arbiter's pregnancy was in motion.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She was basically back to feeling like herself again. Not 100%, but let's say like 90% or something. The remaining bit was probably more the fact that things felt more final in a sense -- Terance was gone for real, no freak chance he'd come back just in time. It'd make things... interesting if he did ever return, but she couldn't be accused of rushing things at least. Not so much regret as it was disappointment -- Arbiter was pretty sure she was going to bite him if he ever came back.

Moving back to the present, she was currently stretched out and encircled by tufts of fur that had previously been on her recent meal, just lazing about a few minutes more before she got back to routines. Arbiter licked her lips, finally pulling herself up to her feet. Another stretch, a yawn, and then she surveyed her realm from this current spot she'd found herself. She spotted Kaertok a distance off, heading his way. She was in no hurry from the look of it.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Having watched his own mother go through the stages of pregnancy a few times over, Kaertok knew it was still far too soon to tell whether or not their union would be fruitful. It would be weeks before anybody knew anything, and he figured that Arbiter would be the first to let him know if and when things were going to happen. He hadn't exactly been hands-on with any of his mother's pregnancies, but he felt he knew enough to be useful. The future mother of his children would be kept well fed and guarded, at the very least. Knowing what little he did of her, he assumed she'd want to do as much on her own until she was really incapable of doing it herself.

When he spotted the white and slate fur that was Arbiter's, a slim smile formed on Kaertok's lips. There were, of course, things to discuss, as there always were, and he wasted no time greeting her with a cursory sniff to her shoulder. Calling you 'the mother of my children,' does not roll off the tongue very well, he said, giving her another visual once-over. What about pikatti? It means 'companion' in my native tongue.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Arbiter hadn't even thought of if or when she'd tell him when she was sure she was pregnant. Last year she hadn't really told Terance. He'd sort of figured it out himself when she was sick for a few days -- even if it was a sign she got what she wanted, it also was a sign of weakness. The two ideas would fight, but not for a while yet.

So for now, she was in good humor (for her), and Kaertok seemed to jump right into things. Arbiter tilted her head, To find some way to categorize me, I assume? Though I guess it's not exactly a situation many need to find a word for... It wasn't really a straightforward answer, but she was also curious how he'd reply -- but hey, it wasn't as flat in tone as her "no that's right out" kind of reply would have been.

To a certain point she was wondering if she'd misjudged Kaertok. Or was it just a guy thing in general? Faster to get attached or whatever? Then again, Arbiter was a lot more clinical about the whole thing. And of course, being relatively recently abandoned by her mate (not a grudge she was getting past any time soon) even just some sort of shorthand seemed suspiciously risky. But even she knew that was perhaps a little over the top.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Kaertok couldn't quite read her tone. Maybe that was how she meant it to be. Or I could continue to call you Arbiter, he offered. At least until the children were born. Maybe even after. It did make him curious as to how possessive she might be over him. In Tartok, we would become mates, but something tells me that is not what you want. At least not for now. Was it what he wanted? Kaertok was fairly ambivalent, although being a mere sperm donor wasn't exactly what he'd had in mind. He would be involved in the lives of their children, so it only felt right that he should figure out how he would be involved in Arbiter's life, too.

Was he free to flounce around with all the ladies of the land, or did Arbiter want him all to herself? Would she go up in flames if he decided to take a months-long scouting trip? What sort of expectations did she have for him? Of course, what he'd said would hopefully lead her to tell him the answers to those questions, but he was ready to ask point-blank if need be.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She rolled a shoulder in a shrug. It is my name after all. I'm not in a rush to jump back into having a proper mate again. I had known Terance over a year before I chose him. If that's what you want, then that's a lot of familiarity to catch up on. It was said with a bit of a smirk. And had she known what happened to Terance, it certainly wouldn't be said so lightly (for her). Pike's return would mark a fairly significant change in her attitude for the short term depending on how well she buried it, but that was still in the future from here.

But she peered at him then with curiosity, Does it mean that you've had more thoughts about what you want if it all goes well? Because surely something had to have brought it up in the first place. Kaertok didn't strike her as the sort of fussy worrier that Terance had been at times. But he could prove her wrong. She'd rather ask than guess anyway.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
He found it odd that she wished so much for children, but she didn't seem to care at all about the other half of that equation. It wasn't news to him, seeing as there had been no romance in their interactions, but perhaps he had expected... something. A partnership, some sort of companionship. The wolves in Tartok did not become mates because they were ~ in love ~ but because it was best for the pack and best for the children. Kaertok was having a hard time wrapping his head around any other arrangement.

She spoke of what he wanted twice, and he supposed that was only fair. He had given her what she wanted, after all. I want equal standing, he replied. And continued freedom to wander when I please. The first one was a stretch if he could get it, but it was still worth asking. He knew Jomyo had been here longer, and he thought she deserved something as well... but Jomyo hadn't been able to provide Arbiter with what she had coveted most.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
He didn't say anything and she suddenly felt like she wasn't being very clear somehow. She'd expected some sort of response. A brief sort of squinty expression crossed her face as she thought, then ended up clarifying, I'm just trying to figure out what you want. A sort of mundane title to just say that we are raising a litter together? Or a more intimate one, long term? Business or pleasure? I'm fine with the first, without question. The latter, I've already said my piece. It required a bit more patience. And double that after the Pike thread.

She nodded and took a moment to ponder. If you want to stand beside me, that's not just my trust you need to earn, but that of the pack as well. I will need another leader, that much will likely be clear. Prove yourself as my second. That was the best she would offer for now. As long as your wandering doesn't end up hurting the pack, I don't have a problem with it. But that was a limiter, wasn't it? There were many reasons why him being away might be negative. Did he have a solution for that? Did he know his limits? Probably. But then again, wouldn't taking a leadership role also require him to be back at the packlands more?
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
She seemed perturbed by his lack of response, but Kaertok was used to that reaction. He had never been a particularly wordy wolf. Pikatti does not mean romantic companion, he said, hoping to clarify any confusion on that front. But if you wish me not to use it, I can stick with Arbiter. As for the latter, Kaertok thought it too soon to say, just as Arbiter seemed to.

Then there was talk of being her second, a position Kaertok was more than happy with. At least for now. The Tartok's tail waved gently back and forth, and he nodded in agreement. Those were terms he could work with, and he felt more at ease knowing exactly what was expected of him now. He would continue to travel and recruit those that seemed worthy. As Arbiter grew heavier, she would be less and less able to do so.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
But she seemed amused by his clarification, I can't stop you from saying what you will, but I don't know if anyone else would know the meaning. I'm fairly sure some kind of pet name would be the first assumption. She shrugged a shoulder, To me it's more unusual. There were never any particularly specific titles for anyone beyond the expected ones. Or nicknames for that matter. They aimed for precision. But it probably did mean that in this aspect Kaertok was probably the odd one out.

She'd have to see how he did. Promoting him solved two potential problems -- someone would be able to help with the pack while she wasn't able, and he'd be put in a position where she'd be able to get a better sense of who he was, if she did want him around long term. Did he hold promise or disappointment? Time would tell.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
I enjoy their dynamic. ^__^

The hint was taken. Arbiter seemed more concerned with what others thought, which was baffling to Kaertok, considering the wolf she seemed to put forth most of the time. It would be curious to see where they would butt heads in the future, and Sungiwok predicted that the children—should there be any—would only add to the headbutting. Either that or they would find some common ground there. Only time would tell.

Their conversation seemed to come to a halt there, and Kaertok let the silence sink in for a moment, wondering if there was anything she wished to discuss before he would be on his way. On his way to what, he didn't know.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
So at least right now that conversation was done. Arbiter knew that there were some things she'd end up being very stubborn about. But there were other things that she was incredibly patient about -- it probably was a weird combination. But whatever. Titles were different than names.

Arbiter stretched, pondering what to do now with the rest of the day. Probably find one of her children and attempt to convince them to do something productive, So are you going to be lurking around here for the short term, or are there more things you're looking to go off to investigate? She didn't need him to cover for her yet, obviously. There was time. And better now than later anyway.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
I plan to search for recruits, he replied. If they meant to have their children here, that was the number one priority. They would need to bolster their ranks significantly if they wanted their children to be safe and protected. Those that were here were loyal, as far as the Tartok could tell, but they were few. Until they had more, he would not feel that his children would be safe.

There is plenty of time between now and when the children will be born. I will be back long before they arrive. He considered adding a "don't worry," but that felt superfluous. Arbiter didn't seem the type to worry.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Wrap this and updated thread soonish?!

She gave him a nod. Good. Hopefully he'd have good luck at it. Whether or not he actually did, they'd find out eventually. Arbiter's next reply wasn't necessarily truly light-hearted, but for her it was upbeat... ish. I just want to know how to spend my time. I'll see what's around here and keep the locals in line. The usual, in other words. Though other things were going to happen to both of them while they were gone. And not necessarily good things.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Yes please!

She seemed pleased, at least to some degree, at his answer. As for her own reply, he bobbed his head along in agreement. This conversation gave him a better idea of where they stood, and he was glad that they'd had it. Not quite business as usual, but knowing that he was second-in-command did give him a bit more authority over the others, and Kaertok fully intended to use that to his advantage.

Feeling their conversation coming to a close, Kaertok swished his tail back and forth. I'm going to go rustle up some grub before a quick patrol around the borders, he said, an unspoken "you're welcome to join" between the lines.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She'd eaten not too long before -- there were still a few tufts of fur floating around not too far away -- so Arbiter didn't hop up on her feet to follow. I think I'll run into you out there. I'll be heading out to check the borders shortly. She stretched, but that was about it, she wasn't keen on heading out quite yet. A little more being lazy and then she'd go. It wasn't like the borders were going anywhere in the next half hour or so. Then business.