Stone Circle le petit prince
12 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Joining 
Spring blossoms bowed in the wake of his strides, as he plunged across a narrow band of river and proceeded deep in to the valley. The wind eddied the foamy clouds overhead, pulling them apart like cotton to wisps across the blue.

He felt as if he were swimming through the green of the hillside. As he slowed to a pause and looked around, out of breath but feeling quite alive, he saw a few shapes on the horizon which looked like wolves; that or a gathering of coyotes giving chase to the milling herd.

With his interest piqued (rather, his hunger) the pale boy drifted down the hillock but after a few strides he was met with the obvious markers denoting a claim, so he stopped short and reversed, looking around in case anyone was around - but the distant hunters had vanished. So, deliberating for a heartbeat or two, the boy lifts his chin and sings a pleasant little tune.

@Greyback or @Valette I suppose? Or anyone really! If the pack is full feel free to tell him so.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette trotted to the border when there was a howl for her. She didn't recognize the tone, so she figured this was someone unknown to them. There had been several new wolves joining them, which had made their pack grow and stretch to their maximum number. If they were also going to have pups, Nanook four and she would have four, well, then it would be really tricky if they had enough resources. The female slowed down in a walk once she got closer. Her approach friendly, but she would still let it be known in the way she carried herself to show that she was the one leading this pack. She had been for a long time so it had kind of been a normal way of carrying herself that way.

"Hello, welcome to Easthollow. I am the Matriarch, Valette," she introduced to the male. The other was unfamiliar to her, but perhaps he was somehow related to them. It did happen at times. Valette was also not the female to be aggressive at the borders, too exhausting. She just wanted to be herself, and that was also what represented well for Easthollow as they were generally a friendly bunch. She looked at the other questioningly, to let him know that she was interested in why he was here and why he called for her.
12 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
In no time at all, a woman came to greet him. This was perplexing for multiple reasons. Primarily it was her roundness that brought a blush to his face, a bashful shift of his attention from her approaching figure to the ground at his feet, but when she spoke he looked up again. The woman's introduction and stated title made his heart flutter with a flare of anxiety — a matriarch! A queen! She was clearly so blessed.

It was the boy's turn to speak. He found himself tongue-tied for a few moments, shivering despite the warmth of the humid spring air around them. Anxiety hung about him like a cloak. His voice, when he does finally speak, is quiet like a whisper and well enunciated, except there is a clear accent.

Hello, miss. I... I wonder, is there room here? Was he being too presumptuous? His tail curled against his haunches as he sat down, swallowed a lump in his throat, and then realized he hadn't introduced himself properly. I—my name, I am—I am Oiseaux. Had he already messed up? Oh dear, what if he had offended her?
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
you are in luck a spot opened up!

Valette looked at the young boy before her, at least he seemed young. But perhaps he was not as young as she thought he was. It was clear that he was nor familiar with the ways of approaching a pack. The boy was lucky since Valette wasn't the meanest on the block. "Well, we are quite full and have a large member base. But maybe you can convince me?," she returned, on a friendly tone. The other's voice sounded like he wasn't from around here.

"Why would you want to join us? Do you know about Easthollow?," she asked. After all they had been here for a long time maybe he knew already about them. Or just wanted the security of a big pack. The female dipped her head in greeting. "Petty name, nice to meet you Oiseaux," she returned. "What do you like to do the most?" She asked, perhaps that would give her insight in what kind of trades he would be interested in.
12 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
He was immediately tongue-tied by her comments. According to the woman, her home was bursting with life, so perhaps it was wrong of him to impose; if they had so many wolves already, where could he fit in? It had been a whimsical question and he had not prepared a further response, so for a moment his mouth hinged and he looked very much like a chick begging for a bite to eat—but then he realized how that looked, and composed himself.

What do you like to do the most? she asked—meanwhile, he was trying to recite the name of this place inside his own head, cementing it there. Easthollow. Easthollow. Easthollow. It sounded quaint.

I am not sure what to say, he explained softly, letting a bit of worry crease his expression. My mother always said I was 'too soft for fighting, and too sad for hunting! The beasts would take one look and laugh instead of run!' As he mimicked his mother's voice, his own voice rose a few octaves and he took on a sharper expression; but that faded swiftly. Ah, but... I am fond of many things. The stars, the sea, watching the seasons change. I can recite for you the names of animals, and birds, and some of my favorite stars. 

But how was any of that useful? As soon as he concluded this explanation he felt his cheeks flush with warmth, and he looked from her rounded sides and open expression down to the dirt. I do not know if... there is any sort of place for someone like me.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette looked at the young male. He wasn't really selling himself but that was perhaps also his charm. He spoke about not being that good at hunting or fighting. But he did sound more like a naturalist. It would be handy for someone to know about the nature around Easthollow. She also had a daughter who liked stars and might want a friend that shared that. "Well here at Easthollow works for their share," she offered. "We are a family that helps one another," she explained to the young boy.

The matriarch looked over the boy. He didn't look bad and really seemed to be trying. "How about I will accept you in our pack to see if you fit in and if you like it in our family," she offered to the male. She decided to give him a chance at least. If he didn't pull his weight she could always tell him to leave. "But you will have to show that you contributed or at least are learning," she added before he would give an answer. She wanted to make that clear.
12 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
He felt his heart thump-thump-thumping in his chest, and likened it to the racing tempo of a charging doe; he had seen so many of them in his observations, always trying to steal closer and get a better look, but they always found him and they always ran. He often wondered what it would be like as the prey rather than the predator, not that Oiseaux could ever fully comprehend the difference, his empathy reaching out across a great divide.

The woman spoke of family, of how such a place ran as a meritocracy, that everyone had to pitch in. It all made sense. It was all very familiar to the little family he came from, although at a grander scale. He gradually looked up to her, his gaze shy but hopeful and attentive. He nodded lightly to indicate he was listening.

How about I will accept you, she explained, causing his heart to transform from the constant doe-thump to something more erratic, like the pace of a racing rabbit. But you will have to show that you contributed, or at least are learning. It was not a difficult caveat for him to wrap his mind around.

The boy nodded more fervently, enthralled by the very words she spoke. The opportunity would not be squandered. Yes, please, thank you! I'll learn everything, everything! His tail was a blur behind him, low though it was and curled nearly to his belly, it had unfurled and now bat mercilessly at the grass.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
tag for visibility

Valette offered a small smile to the boy. She then howled to @Greyback @Siarut that she accepted this new wolf. So they wouldn't outright attack this boy for trespassing. The female motioned him to follow her inside the territory. He was so excited, it made her feel good. The matriarch led the boy into the territory and would show him around a bit. She walked him to the stone circle. "This is our Stone Circle. It is our main meeting spot and very sacred to us," she spoke to him, watching the standing stones from afar. She was pretty sure that there might be questions about it later.

"Most of us sleep in the forest, west of the circle," she explained. "I will show you that now," she spoke to the male. The forest was a dense forest, with mostly birch and other deciduous trees. "So tell me more about you, why did you leave your family for example?," she wondered as she walked him to the forest.
12 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
He dashed carefully alongside her, his slight figure bowed in submission as she moved and showed him the way. When the stone circle was before them the boy stared, his eyes wide. A sacred place, she'd called it. Like anyone who had never seen such a configuration, Oiseaux did have plenty of questions; however, once Valette had explained the stones and begun to move on, he stowed them for later.

She led him towards the woods, then deep among the trees. To the west was the sleeping area for the pack and it occurred to Oiseaux in that moment, that these wolves slept out in the open. How free that must feel, he thinks. With the stars winking at you from overhead... Beautiful. Maybe he would see his starry friends in the night, trace their shapes, and be at peace here.

The woman of course, had her own questions. She was patient as she asked them. Oiseaux did not know how to respond at first, and so it took him a few minutes to gather his thoughts.

The subject of his family, and his dispersal from them, was a sore one. He felt his face grow warm again. His eyes were downcast, tragic in his expression, his tail low and tucking out of habit against his belly. He seemed distracted. Heavy with memories, perhaps. But he did finally answer, and his voice was small—shy. 

I was... chased out. It was not something worth sharing, not when it might affect how the nice woman viewed him. He swallows a lump in his throat and continues. My f-father... He said, 'You are too soft, little bird!' so I went to my mother, but.. she was all apologies, and very sad, but she said 'It is the way of things. Obey your father.' So, I had to go.

What would Valette think of that?
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette listened to the boy, that needed time to think. That was alright, she would just continue to walk with him. Then the words came and it surprised her that his parents had been so harsh to him. "Chased out?,' she repeated and then the male continued. His father calling him weak and his mother just agreeing. She frowned. "It sounds like your mother was oppressed by your father," she returned. Of Course, she was not there so who was she to judge.

"No one will treat you like that here," she assured him. "I'm sorry that happened to you." In Valette's eyes no one was weak. The matriarch looked at the male, he was perhaps a bit timid and lacked confidence but that didn't mean that that person was weak. "You will find your strength, one day," she spoke with a nod to him. Perhaps Easthollow would help him with that. The female stopped at a small den, one that had been abandoned. "If you feel more comfortable in a den you can use this one," she instructed.
12 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Oppressed? It was the first time anyone had mentioned such a thing to him, and he looked upon Valette with a brief perplexity before dropping his eyes away, nervous to let them linger too long. But her apology came next and that too felt strange in his ears. Different. He did not deserve empathy, he thought. Oiseaux was small, and weak, and afraid all of the time, making him the antithesis of everything his father ever wanted. Too soft, always too soft.

You will find your strength, one day. The woman said. He looked up briefly at her nod, straining to put a little smile upon his face, but it did not feel genuine and probably did not look genuine either. When she went on to offer him a den, Oiseaux was stunned yet again. For.. me? Were they not reserved for mothers...? Did all the wolves of this place sleep within the crux of the earth...?
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette offered a soft smile when the boy was so surprised that the den was for him. The female nodded. "You don't have to use it if you don't want to. But I can imagine that the territory might not feel as at home yet, and then a den might make you feel safe," she explained. Valette loved her den. She and her mate slept their large den every night, but that was also because Valette was rearing pups each year, and she felt comfortable down in the earth next to her burly man.

"I will show you where a cache is," she stated to the boy then. She figured he would perhaps be a bit lost with that. Valette did put some effort in hiding her caches since that was the whole point of it. She motioned for him to follow and brought him to the nearest food source. Under lose moss and a dead sapling she started to dig. She looked at Oiseaux with a grin. "Feel free to help dig," she stated.