Northstar Vale I ask the traffic lights if it'll be alright.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Limit Two 
Popping this up before work aaah.

Once the newcomer Corra was safely within the territory and brought somewhere to rest, eat, and grow stronger, Ibis gave her a soft farewell and went hunting. Her steps were swift, even though her heavy belly made her feel uncomfortably burdened. She felt grass tickling her sides a few times and was reminded of the imposter's touch, which made her feel sick. She stopped her loping to vomit off one side of the path - chewed some thicker shoots of grass as a hasty remedy - and carried on to where @Reiko was hidden away.

The orchard's vibrant pink blossoms were lovely; Ibis would have been charmed by them on any other day, but she needed to speak to Reiko and so the beauties of their home were shoved to the bottom of the "important thing" list within her head. Almost immediately upon arrival Ibis noticed the same almost-right smell in the air, which made her frown. Hime had been here at some point - so was she telling the truth?

Up ahead was Reiko, her sides so round that Ibis felt stupid for her mistake. Reiko...? She called, her ears flattening when she realised how dubious she was feeling about her friend's identity.
taking a ride on a cosmic train
649 Posts
Ooc — Noki
After the abrupt meeting with Hime just the night before, Reiko didn't move from her spot all too much since then. Digesting what had happened and only dragging her deeper into the dread that seemed to constantly rear its ugly head around every corner. She wasn't even certain how long ago it was now since Hime and her had spoken, a day? Was it the morning of? She couldn't believe Takeshi was so bold to overstep Reiko and go right to her cruel sister and seek out help. Though Hime could have changed over time... there was a part of the gentler of the two who believed otherwise. 

Hearing her name being called out, for a moment she was wide-eyed as she shot a glance in the direction of which it came, only to soften immediately to see Ibis approaching. Though their last conversation didn't go all too well, it was still better than the more recent ones that followed... Ibis. She called out in return, feeling suddenly tired as if she relaxed now that her friend was here.
Hiromi, Yuudai and Takeshi are welcome in all threads Reiko is in unless marked as Private! When outside of Northstar Vale it is always assumed one of her guards is near by and will be tagged into the thread if necessary!
Healing (2/6)
Severe bite wounds along neck, moderate along nape, and bruising. Healing will take 6 weeks starting Saturday, July 04.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
As she swaggered closer Ibis realized how eerily similar Reiko was to the other woman. The same alabaster coat, the same face, the same eyes - but there were subtle differences too. Those eyes were shy and sweet, while Hime's had seemed cold and cruel. There was the obvious difference being Reiko's weight, but seeing as Ibis had been distracted by her own situation (not to forget manipulated, thinking it was Reiko this while time) it struck Ibis that she should have noticed. She should have known.

Hello. Ibis greeted her. The queen wanted to trust her own eyes, and trust that this wasn't some kind of trick doubled-over, and as a result she was cautious and a touch unfriendly. I need to ask... About your sister.

Ibis felt so strange in that moment. She wanted to trust Reiko entirely, to be present for her friend. At the same time, the event on the borders was still fresh in her mind and deeply concerning.
649 Posts
Ooc — Noki
There was an awkward feeling that lingered between them, she chalked it up to the fact that both of them haven't spoken since their last... near-argument? Which was quickly corrected as Ibis brought of the phantom that she too had encountered lately. Reiko's eyes dropped, remembering what had happened here before (a day or so I assume to make everything make sense lmao), all that had transpired right here.

Oh... yes, I don't know how long she has been here for. You're the first to speak to me about her presence. One was better than none, right? Hopefully, Hime had not done any harm during her time here, her heart thudded nervously in her chest while waiting for Ibis to speak her mind on the matter.
Hiromi, Yuudai and Takeshi are welcome in all threads Reiko is in unless marked as Private! When outside of Northstar Vale it is always assumed one of her guards is near by and will be tagged into the thread if necessary!
Healing (2/6)
Severe bite wounds along neck, moderate along nape, and bruising. Healing will take 6 weeks starting Saturday, July 04.

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Does this even make sense? What day is it? Where am I?

She didn't know...? Nobody had told her...? How could she not know her own sister was among them? This news only set Ibis' nerves further on-edge, and her frown deepend. The queen could not help but think that this was somehow her fault, as she'd been so distracted by Akavir and her growing belly that she'd overlooked an equally important piece of her life: Reiko. The Empress was much closer to her whelping date and she did not need this added stress. All the same, Ibis could not let go of what she'd witnessed so easily.

There was... A situation, I suppose I should call it, at the borders. Now was the true test of Ibis' ambassadorship skills; she did not want to malign the sisters against one-another, nor disrupt the delicate balance of the hierarchy, nor the friendship and shared respect between herself and Reiko. She chose her words carefully.

I came upon it late, but... The most important part is that, I thought she was you. I am ashamed to admit that she was very convincing, and I was so focused on the visitors to our borders that I did not question things immediately. Ibis paused to let these comments sink in before sinking her teeth in to the meat of the issue, her expression softening as she sought to grant a silent apology with the shift of her ears and downcasting of her eyes. A man and woman have come to us seeking shelter. The woman claims to have been a captive, her name is Corra, and she is very thin. The man who was with her, he seemed... Injured, but with old injuries. A guardsman of some kind, I think.

While we—myself, and this woman posing as you—discussed their arrival, Awenfen arrived and... She pointed out that it was not you, but someone else. It was jarring. Her frown returned, twisting the corners of her mouth with worry. She claimed to speak on your behalf. We welcomed Corra, but the man—Memory, he was turned away.

If this woman Hime was speaking on her sister's behalf, then Ibis would not protest it. It had been Hime's harsh manner that so surprised sweet Ibis, and something about the imperious nature of the other woman was unsettling to her. However, the way of kingdoms was still new to her; she trusted that Reiko would be able to back-up Hime's claims or annihilate them. It felt so strange to be mediating between these two women without properly knowing the two of them, but Ibis knew it was something that must be done.
649 Posts
Ooc — Noki
A situation? The thought of what might have happened filled her with dread, did she already have to regret accepting Hime's almost forced offer to help them? Every new problem seemed to weigh on her further. Reiko could barely look forward to the birth of her first litter knowing of all the troubles they would be born in. No sweet paradise for their welcome, but instead, chaos and stress that would plague them since day one. 

Was she truly that terrible of a leader? Was the Empire doomed to fail as well due to her lack of experience? 

Drawn out from her dark thoughts, Ibis spoke of the incident and though it shocked her at first. Wide eyes, exhausted and scared of what she would hear - only to relax as the story continued and her expression fell rather neutral. None of it sounded all too shocking anymore. Perhaps she was getting rather numb to it all. Was she still herself after all?

Ah. Her tone was oddly flat, lacking any light tone to it, any bubbles but rather as flat as a soda sitting out in the sun all day, and as cold as it would be early in the morning of. She's offered her help while I raise the puppies, says she'll help us fix the pack. Even now she felt our to think that the pack was anything but perfect. But maybe Hime knew better, she was the one who lead the clan, after all, the heir who took over and not Reiko.

If she rejected him, it was for good reason... She had to trust Hime's judgment. Once the puppies were old enough for their agreement to fade into step two would she further investigate her sister should she decide to break their accord.
Healing (2/6)

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
She'd expected.. More of a reaction. An outright denial of Hime's claims, maybe. Not the dismissive manner of Reiko's acceptance and general laissez-faire comments. Ibis had to accept that this was happening, that it all had Reiko's approval somehow. Still, it was difficult to justify. The woman had treated Memory so shrewdly! He had been angry, and that did not reflect well upon the kingdom. Ibis' ears flicked back when she heard the bit about fixing the pack, though. Her gaze darkened for a moment. It was insulting to all of them that Hime would swoop in and make alterations to their lives, to their home, to the society they were building.

If she rejected him, it was for good reason... Reiko defended her sister's choices softly, almost sombre, and it was this moment that made Ibis realize how stressful everything must be for her friend. How foolish she was to drag all of this before their Empress! She was busy enough being pregnant and worrying about the future generation, she did not need all of this too. Maybe it was good that Hime was stepping in—but Ibis still did not trust her. Why not choose from among their own ranks for such a position? Or maybe it was the blood tie that linked them. Hime was more of a sister to Reiko than Ibis could ever be.

Yes, you're probably right, Ibis accepted all of this with a little nod, her voice small. Reiko... Do you trust her? More than me? She wanted to say, but found it too hard to voice.
649 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Ibis didn't have much else to say on the matter - in a way, Reiko had wished there was more. Something more to incriminate or show that Hime was more trustworthy, but instead, it seemed rather neutral. She rejected one man, but accepted a woman in need. She had to have seen something in him, something that maybe Ibis didn't and thus, Reiko might not have either. The Empress stand-in did say she would fix the pack, so maybe this was one of her steps. 

Pondering over Ibis' next question, her gaze dropped and she looked at the ground vacantly. Thinking. As the gears turned and she weighed every possibility. Even taking in Hiromi and Yuudai's possible reactions and objections to the woman being in their presence now after running from her into consideration. I'm... not certain. The words felt natural as if those were the true feelings.  I want to say no, but she's my only sibling. I... kind of have hope that she's honestly just trying to help.

A pause as she thought again, there was more, she had to say more on the matter - something had to be addressed. We just need to keep a close eye on her, and hope she's honest. This is a place of renewal after all. And who's to say Hime couldn't change as well? It wasn't her place to judge her sister should she be seeking a new slate between family.
Healing (2/6)

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Reiko was undecided and that did not bode well. Ibis thought of how attached she had been to her own family, to Okeanos, and how beloved he was to her, and could not help but compare the strong familial connection they shared to the vagaries of Reiko and Hime. They did not seem sisterly, certainly not close in the same manner as Ibis with her brother, and so the doubt remained. Perhaps things were different for kingdoms? Or maybe there was more to the story between them. Ibis would not pressure Reiko for any further details though - she had enough on her plate.

Ibis agreed to keep an eye on Hime, though. That was a good first step. But she did not like having to support Hime's declarations; whatever the woman decided during Reiko's pregnancy would become law, or so Ibis understood it, and it made her uncomfortable to think about the challenges ahead. What if Hime refused to step down after? What if she drove everyone away from them? What about the man on the borders - he had been so very angry, and that had been very unsettling.

The queen opened her mouth to speak again - but something stopped her. A rolling in her belly, a bizarre twisting, and a few pinches. Her unborn children had their own opinions apparently and their quickening made her pause. Ibis drew a swift breath and then slowly exhaled, watching the dirt. Ooph, babies, go back to sleep. I'm talking with Reiko right now -- ooh, a small wince played across Ibis' face as the shifting gradually subsided.

Afterward, her mind blank, Ibis refocused on her friend and smiled faintly. Sorry. Sometimes I feel like a little river full of hungry fish. It was too bad Akavir wasn't present for this moment, but there would be others, she thought - and then brightened upon remembering her good news. A much better topic of discussion than cranky Hime. oh! I can't believe I forgot -- I spoke with Akavir. We... well I... There was a proposal and, well, I suppose we should start planning a wedding...?
649 Posts
Ooc — Noki
She hoped what she said was a good decision. Ibis didn't question it which was in a way both stressful to think that maybe Ibis didn't want to speak up in fear of upsetting the Empress during this time, as well as soothing that perhaps the young Queen also agreed with the decision made. Oh the ambiguity of leading, did you make a good decision could only be answered in time should things flourish or fall.

Within her life sparked again, not the dull-eyed Empress who worried for their people, but watching excitedly as Ibis calmed the puppies she herself was brewing. With a relieved smile she sat back after the initial excitement. Have you gotten used to their shuffling yet? I find myself surprised every time.

And there it was, Ibis more news to share. Really? That's fabulous news! I'm happy for you both, yes, a wedding will be nice. To bring everyone together in celebration. Behind her tail drummed happily against the ground. Another unison and Akavir and Ibis were such a couple pair, they truly did seem to love each other despite it being such a short time that they had met. For the children, this was nothing but fantastic news.

I assume after the puppies are born, yes?
Healing (2/6)

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Ibis shook her head, shrugging her thin shoulders but having no answer for the first question. The quickening was very strange and she did not like it. Sometimes she spoke quietly to whoever was moving inside of her, and it helped—like now—but more often than not she would wait it out and grow frustrated. Her hormones had begun to shift more fervently from one polarity to the other, which was giving her mental whiplash.

Reiko seemed to be thrilled with the news, so Ibis latched upon that instead and smiled to her, putting aside all other conversation in lieu of the good news. It was easier to pretend Hime wasn't here, and Takeshi wasn't a dirt bag, and everything was happy and good and normal, versus the alternative. Part of that was the upcoming birth of their children and now, a wedding.

That sounds like a good time for it. Maybe once we've all adjusted to... Being mothers, and having children running around. The entire concept of being a mother had not really surfaced in Ibis' mind yet. She had once wanted to be one, very badly actually. She had been so little then and hadn't understood the subject as well as she did now; it was a silly dream from a little girl. Now though, she was going to be a mother whether she was prepared or not—and Reiko too.

Are you... Nervous? About the birth, or anything? The girl's voice was soft and nervous, perhaps connecting with her own feelings on the subject.
649 Posts
Ooc — Noki
It'll come sooner than we might think. Even sooner than Reiko could ever imagine too - she wasn't as ready as she might think she was for them to come, to grow up as quickly as they will. This being her first time too, it will be an awakening to the grief and pride that any mother felt when their young grew up almost immediately in front of their very own eyes.

Ibis' question came to a sudden realization as Reiko thought of the answer. Was she nervous about giving birth? I don't think so... Was it the birth she was nervous about in general or something else? I'm nervous for their health... I hope they are healthy and that I did well for them while I carried them. So I suppose I am in a sense... nervous. What if they were sick? Deformed? They would be loved of course, that was out of the question; but would her guilt allow the new mother to accept their fate, or would it tear her apart? 

Sorry it's short! Just trying to get my threads moving and not letting you wait anymore lmao
Healing (2/6)

Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
She listened, but only partly. There came a twinge in her gut that Ibis had always presumed was a child jostling inside of her, and she tried to adjust her weight a bit. It came again moments later, prompting her to swagger about a step or two, her belly shifting. Then, the most unladylike pbbbttoooooooooopl squeaked out of her; along with, unfortunately, a rotten egg smell.

Ibis immediately blanched. Sagged back on her haunches again, eyes wide like a deer in headlights. The shock wore off in the next instant and she began to giggle, her nose wrinkling as the smell deepened and lingered. I am so sorry—I should, oh, I should go, ohhh that's foul! She scrambled to her little paws and tawdled back a step, her laughter becoming more belly-focused.
649 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Both disgusted and amused, Reiko put a paw to her snout to try and snuff the smell that soon infiltrated the air between the two women, giggling all the while. It was a natural thing, despite it being.... unladylike for most to think of. Ibis said it all and even made the declaration to leave, Reiko was too giggly to even string a few words together - nor did saying anything, teasing or not, would be all too pleasant for the already embarrassed Ibis. I'll see you again. Was all she managed to do. At least this was a good break between the stressful encounters, for that, Reiko was thankful for even this.

Last from me! We need a fresh one soon whenever you're able!
Healing (2/6)