Neverwinter Forest People tell me I'm a legend
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
@Cupid we needs new thread. So no megarush, exact date = vague maybe? LMK if there's a specific one you want.

It had taken a little bit of time for Mal to work out what he should actually say. But at the same time the things he wanted to do and should say were two different directions. Entirely. If it hadn't been for Simmik, Mal had been planning to see what happened if he put on his best, most amiable self and see if he could win Cupid over. A bit of a smile, a laugh, something like that.

But still, he had to do it. So maybe it didn't make Mal as joyous as he should have been when he called out, Hey, Cupid, expecting the man to pop into view as he rounded the last corner, but he'd at least be all professional and stuff. Hell, it wasn't like Cupid knew how positive Mal tried to be around everyone. He didn't expect Cupid would have too much of a problem with things. But Simmik had planted a seed of doubt. All Mal could think of was if Cupid did see things totally differently, well, Mal did kinda want to know. Had Caerus even said anything about Miriam's puppies?
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
Cupid wasn't laying around in his usual spot. He had just returned from a short trip. It wasn't eventful in the slightest, but he felt like he'd just ran for miles. Fuck, he whispered, stopping for a moment to examine his aching chest. This never happened before. Must've been from the lack of movement for the past few months. Once him and Caerus moved to the new site, he'd have more time to get back in shape. Speaking of which, he had to get to Mal.

He was right where he needed him; in front of the den, calling out for him. Cupid approached from behind and said Right here. to announce his presence.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He wasn't expecting Cupid to show up behind him, and he turned on heel to face him with a smile, hoping that things wouldn't take a turn in a bit. Oh hey. Did you just get back? I thought you'd have beaten us back for sure. Caerus is off chowing down. One way or another, Mal had made sure the boy would be well-fed, just had said he wanted a moment for boring adult conversation stuff between the dads. 

I'm sure one of these times I'll get to show up and be all 'Oh hey Cupid, lookin' good, how about that deer herd?' but apparently that'll have to be next time. Assuming Cupid didn't hate him in the end for real. I wanted to make sure we were on the same page for a couple of things. And apologize if not 'cause apparently maybe I assume to much. He tried to give an awkward smile with that. Maybe Cupid could at least see where he was coming from there -- after all, the other stuff had all been in his head apparently. But then again, his assumption that Cupid didn't give a damn pretty much lined up with when he thought Cupid pretty much hated his guts, so it wasn't a huge stretch, was it?

His best option just seemed to be to blurt everything out, But look, I'll just get right to it. Caerus has siblings here. He met a couple of them, don't know if he said anything. They asked for kids and I thought you hated me, so didn't think you'd care at all. And full disclosure, there's another litter in another pack I didn't know about 'til recently. A breath, If you did actually want something more than me to just help with Caerus, then I'm sorry I didn't think it was an option. I really am, and I'm sure I've trashed things and I'll like.. accept that. And if not, then well, you know about the others now if you didn't already. He definitely had a sort of 'yes, I will accept my scolding, it is deserved' kind of expression by the end of it.
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
Mm-hm, he mumbled as he looked down at his chest again. Cupid could just barely registered what was being told to him. The slowly growing pain made it hard to focus. There was something about Caerus eating, and what he could only assume was an attempt to flirt (which would have made him laugh if he wasn't so out of it). He would've tried to shuffle back into the den if it wasn't for what he said next.

I wanted to sure we were on the same page. His ear twitched and he briefly glanced from side to side. Was this about him being more involved? They'd already gone over this and it worked out fine. This had to be about something else, but what? Cupid was beginning to get anxious. It can't be that bad, he thought for reassurance.

Oh. It's that bad.

Siblings, and parents, and children in far places. He wanted to believe this was some sort of joke because- How... how could you not tell me about this before? That's a big fucking deal.

A dry laugh slips from his maw. Something akin to adrenaline rushes through him, and he tried to let it out by walking in circles and saying Wow. over and over under his breath. It didn't help.

He stopped to look at Mal again. A big ol' "I'm this close to punching you right now" smile was slapped on his face. So how many girls did you fuck? How many babies are running around here?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Though his ears tipped back slightly, that was about the only change. He was here to be honest, no fear or anything. He was apologetic, but he wasn't going to grovel -- and for a kid who would break out screaming, as an adult he was keeping a surprisingly calm voice, Because I thought you hated me. You never seemed like you cared what I did beyond the den here. I asked you what you wanted -- you said be here. I am here. I'm still here. I'll keep being here. But now I am making sure you know. I'm sorry that I assumed you wouldn't care. Meanwhile he was trying to figure out what this actually meant. Did Cupid actually care about him? Or was he just being angry because reasons. Mal wasn't sure. He had wanted Cupid to say something, but he hadn't. So Mal made a guess. 

He didn't answer the first question. Well, he technically could without lying if he was just very specific to only mention girls which excluded Zephyr. He'd leave out Ibis too, more because he saw her as comparatively unimportant. Miriam had two. Aibreann just had four. Four in Yuelong. No lies. Just some sadness because maybe he had thrown away something by his actions and not even realized it.
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
What?! Did he really just say that? He had to laugh again. It was the only thing keeping him from tearing his face off. It would've been nice to know my baby's dad was fucking around and putting kids in everyone. That's not something I should be figuring out right now. What the fuck is wrong with you?!

Cupid stayed silent as he rattled off all the numbers. Six here. Fucking six. And four in Yuelong. Where the hell was that? He didn't want to know. He didn't need to know. Ten was too many. Any amount was, especially since he wanted to be all secretive about them.

He turned his head to the side and glared at nothing. The smile had sunk into a deep frown. Do those girls know you're the father of eleven kids? Or do you think they don't care either?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
What else could he do? Pretty much just stand there and take whatever abuse was hurled at him. Apparently he deserved it. This was more like the Cupid he'd been afraid of those first few months. Had he really not been too far off base?. Miriam knows. Aibreann knows and genuinely doesn't care -- she just wanted children. When I go back to Yuelong, then they'll all know. Leaving out Miriam's reaction to finding out about Aibreann or whatnot because PPC, yay, shall inquire! 

And they were all girls, not women. It was the second time Cupid had used that word and Mal in his sort of detached state wondered if there was a reason for it. They were all older than him, weren't they? Well, still probably better than some other choice words. I didn't know you hadn't even spoken to Aibreann at all. It would have come up, he was pretty sure. It wasn't a secret, but Mal felt that any of the other things he could say would be turned against him. They were his own problems. Cupid really wouldn't give a damn that despite all the children, Mal still felt rejected and alone. Was this not all confirmation of it? But yeah. I was wrong. Why couldn't Cupid have been honest with him? Instead of all weird and distant the whole time.
284 Posts
Ooc — mutton
Away
When did he tell them about these kids? Was it out of the blue like this or long before they gave birth? He didn't know which was worse. The former just made him an inconsiderate asshole, no matter what their responses were. The latter suggested he didn't give a shit about how Cupid felt.

He was tempted to ask, but he didn't want to feel more betrayed than he already did. Instead he spat, I hope that last one doesn't rip your fucking dick off when you tell her. Cause oh boy, he was really feeling like doing that right now. But Cupid was tired. He was hurt. He felt sick from the inside out. Mal would get off scot free today.

Cupid looked back at him and narrowed his eyes. Bring my son back here. He'd look for Caerus himself if he didn't feel like he was gonna collapse right now. And then go fuck off somewhere.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Some vague PP for @Caerus since Summer has gone to bed? Just LMK if you want me to change it!

Little of column A, little of column B with a big side of genuinely thinking Cupid wouldn't care? Nobody would accuse Mal of being smart about social stuff. He just wasn't. And he really hadn't expected this response. So much for everything he'd done to try to fix things. Now where were they? But he could only hold out for so long, and even as he turned away, there was that sag across his shoulders. It all hurt.

Mal did his best to seem kind of normal when he found Caerus, but it wasn't his greatest deception in the world. Hey kid. You're gonna finish that up at the den. Dad wants you. He nuzzled the top of the boy's head, fear spiking as he wondered if now Cupid really would take his son away. You gotta be really nice to him tonight, okay? Our talk didn't go so good. It's okay if he's mad at me for a while, I already said I was sorry. And I still love you, that doesn't change a thing. He had to take a breath there, I'm glad we got to hunt today. Let's go. And another nudge to get him moving if it was needed.

A quiet good night to his son once they arrived, then he gave Cupid a long, drawn expression. Mal knew he'd messed up. He'd accepted that. There wasn't anything else now he could do but wait and see. So for now, he turned and headed back into the forest.