Sleepy Fox Hollow dark shades of blue
no man’s an island, no
73 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
Baxter would be proud of Sunhawk today, with the catch that he sported between his teeth. Fishing had never been his forte, much to Baxter's dismay. As Sunhawk set into peeling scales from meat, he laughed to himself.

He missed the trailworn, surly old man. He was sorry they had parted ways a month back, but with Baxter's age, it was best he did not embark on a journey he would not come back from. Sunhawk hoped he would carry the Endore's well-wishes to his family back at Surima.

As he ate, he reminiscenced.
Ghost
"God is every bit as feral as that which he creates."
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
From one mountain he could spy others, and felt compelled to investigate. It would be a few days more before Revui thought to return home, which was inconsequential. He prowled along the foothills of the mountain and continued to hike until there was a sprawling valley around him.

Where the trees were thinnest there were also signs of life — birdsong, mostly. Some bugs. A graze-line that ebbed to open space. He could probably find something to eat here. There was the scent of water too, eventually; and as he trailed after that, he came upon the sight of a wolf hunched by the water's edge.

The scraping sound of scales being dislodged caught in his ears. Aside from that, there was only the hum of summer. The bugs continued to whisper - the birds, less so. Likely frightened by the presence of two wolves among their trees.

The woods have always been filled with these soft doe-eyed things;
with hearts beating for the arrow, the bullet, the lance.

I have always been the huntsman.  ⤑

no man’s an island, no
73 Posts
Ooc —
Descaling fish had always been Baxter's job. Sunhawk grimaced as a scale stuck between his teeth. The drone of high summer was almost peaceful enough to drive him into a lull, but there was an absence that had his ears prick instinctively.

The birds. Sunhawk lifted his chin, his tongue half poking from between his teeth as he looked around the riverbank. He nearly jumped out of his skin as he caught sight of Revui; how had he missed him?

"Evenin'." Sunhawk cajoled, his voice carrying the unmistakable roundness of a lowland country drawl. It was a warm voice, like bourbon glazed over with honey - a voice that you might want to hear croon old murder ballads around a crackling fire. Its beholder gave a soft smile, wondering if this leviathan was about to eat him. For his sake, he hoped not.

Holding up the half gutted fish, Sunhawk spoke. "Hungry?"
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
As he peered around he noticed the smell of blood first, and the silhouette second. The shift of the stranger's body did not phase Revui. There was still a sizable distance between them, but he closed it with his languid stride, and then he stopped to observe again. The stranger had noticed him - they offered their fish.

The glutton was not about to refuse a free meal. He rumbled a low note of pleasure, sounding almost crocodilian, and approached. The wariness he held rivalled the giant's immense self-adulation; he was prideful, and not wary because he was afraid exactly, but retained caution out of habit.

Revui's nostrils flared as he drank in the scent of the fish blood, and the stranger's musk. You are new here, he voices his observation with an obvious shift of his gaze over the stranger's form. Rugged, wild, but healthy. He cannot tell if they are older than him or not, but that wasn't important.

no man’s an island, no
73 Posts
Ooc —
The first thing Sunhawk thought as Revui prowled close, was that this man was a wildcat - he just didn't know it. Sunhawk rifled a portion of the fishmeat aside, casting it towards the bank where the goliath had paused. There was a wariness to Revui, and believe you me, Sunhawk was feelin' it too.

He smiled away the caution, placing part of the fish's fin between his back teeth and crunching loudly. "Oh yes." Sunhawk was not a man to be offset by gab during dining hours. "Been traveling with a buddy, but he was gettin' on in the years and went back home. So, now I'm livin' it solo style." He beamed, wolfing down the remains of his catch in a single gulp. "What about you, big boy? Man like you must be leadin' a pack or a harem nearby, eh?"
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
He had a curious way of speaking, and even the mostly non-verbal Revui took notice. He watched the meat fling through the air and was silent as he pursued it, settling to his haunches beside the limp section of pink flesh. While he listened to the man speak he bowed and ate, making short work of what the man had cast aside, barely able to taste it nor feel how tender and fresh the meat was between his teeth. He licked some residual fluids from his lips and regarded the man with another glance.

A pack he had - leadership, not so much. A harem? He did not know the word. I live.. north of here. He wasn't exactly sure, come to think of it, but that was a good enough trajectory. My pack controls a valley. I serve Merrick, our leader, as a warrior. By now he'd become a master of the trade; but he found he could not boast that fact, as it didn't feel as powerful now. Perhaps if he had been back home on Moonspear it would hold some weight. Your.. buddy. They abandoned you? There is an edge to his question. Revui can't help but wonder what he would do if anyone ever did that to him.

no man’s an island, no
73 Posts
Ooc —
Naw, it ain't like that. Sunhawk gave a shrug of his shoulders. He hadn't blamed Baxter at all for his decision. You live a bit away to the north? How many days of travel is it? My buddy was startin' to be slow rising in the mornin'. That was just the first sign. The kind of sign you'd be stupid to ignore when you live a months travel from home...

Sunhawk's surveying gaze passed over Revui. It'll come for us someday too. But not today! His tone was remarkably upbeat despite the seriousness of the matter. So what's a fella like you doing out here? Merrick got you on some task?
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
It is not far. He grumbles softly, and silences to listen to the man's tale. Being a more basic creature, Revui usually finds conversation superfluous when action can be more effective, but he is placated by the free meal and listens as attentively as he can. The idea that one might become enfeebled over time is not new to him but he does not like the sound of it. Better to die in battle, he thinks. It does not sit right with him to think of being old, weak, alone, and dying without someone else's blood on his tongue.

Merrick got you on some task? The stranger probes, and Revui shakes his head.

My woman ignores me, spends all her time sleeping in the dirt. With the current climate of their conversation this sounded much more dire than necessary, but words were difficult for the warrior. I want her, but she does not want me, so I wait and I wander. It is almost romantic, except, the young man is merely speaking of lust and the disconnect between himself and a new mother with stronger priorities than sex. Another thing he does not understand.

no man’s an island, no
73 Posts
Ooc —
Sunhawk shared many of the same views. Die young, strong, and mid-battle -- let the feeble grow old! He grinned and stretched his toes as he listened, the grin falling away at the mountain's perplexing tale. 

Ah, that is troublesome. The southerner frowned. Is she sick? He didn't make the mental connect said woman was nursing, and assumed maybe things were a bit rough at home. No matter! He leapt to his feet boldly, the grin returning. The open road is meant for shedding such woes! I have been told, if thou hast a sorrow -- tell it not to your wife, but the road. Fitting, no?
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
Maybe, he said in regards to her illness.

Ikkalrok had not come out of the den in weeks now, he had not seen her, had not brought her any meals (there were others taking care of her in such a way), and it had not crossed Revui's mind that something might be wrong. Even now, with that presented to him, he was not worried. She was a handsome woman and impressive warrior, and if she were to die it would be under the same terms as himself - bloody, in the middle of a frenzy.

Having the bear of a woman referred to as his wife sent a shock wave through him, though. The word made him think of Kukutux, and his heart felt suddenly constricted. She is not my wife! He corrected, a sharp edge taking hold of his expression while he lightly bristled, as if offended. We fight, hunt, and screw together, but we are not -- that.

Connections were being made in his molasses brain. Kukutux wanting a husband, Jarilo taking her away. Was she hidden in the earth now too? They were not the kind to fight together, but the rest -- he did not want to think of this. The young man was abruptly on his feet again, an agitated energy rolling off of him.

no man’s an island, no
73 Posts
Ooc —
So friends with benefits. Sunhawk smoothly supplied, steering away from any further teasing on the matter. A change had come over the male instantly - and Sunhawk was intrepid enough to know turbulent waters when he saw them. 

Ah well, consider yourself lucky you've managed to get such a fine lass. If only I could say the same for myself. He crossed his legs and a misty look overcame him. Just me and my lonesome. Makes traveling' easy, but those nights are awful dull.
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
The man's term took a moment to click in Revui's head, but yes, that made the most sense. It calmed him somewhat as he studied the concept, and then he was listening as Sunhawk commended him for his choices. Stroking the beast's ego was a surefire way to get on his (rather limited) good side.

Pack life is not... much different, he admits, countering Sunhawk's depressive sentiments (or maybe strengthening them). The serration of his coat slowly settles. At least within Ursus. They are defensive of their hearth as any wolf must be. Beyond that, I find myself... lost, lonely. It is awfully dull.

The young man glances at Sunny's face with a raise of his brow, an unusual little smirk on his lips.

no man’s an island, no
73 Posts
Ooc —
Ah, a little trouble back at the hearth, eh? Sunhawk couldn't say he had the same blues, but he understood anyway. It was what had made him start walking from Surima one day, and never look back.

He didn't miss a beat, even though his new friend looked as if a demon rode his shoulders. "Ah, you've just hit the bluey grooves. That's the bad stuff. Life is uphill, then downhill, then uphill again, like a wave. Just ride this one out, and you and your missus will be just fine." He delivered a winsome wink, grinning as he caught the male's unusual smirk. "Now, what's a fellow like you do for fun around these parts? Might be time to get your ticker pumpin', if you catch my drift."
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
He had not thought of life as anything but a beast to be conquered, and having it compared to the irregular topography of home was curious to him - and not far off base. There were peaks and valleys. All of life was a mountain and like any mountain, he would find a way to the top, and to victory over anything that came his way. His current circumstances were nothing, he realized. Ikkalrok did not want him now; she was hiding in the earth within a literal valley, and Revui was doing the opposite: seeking more, pushing himself to conquer the mountains.

He decided in that moment he would try to bring Sunhawk home with him. The man was wise; his oddly pedantic manner of speaking was something Revui grew a little bit more fond of the more he spoke. The bear-wolves could use someone like him; or at least he did.

What's a fellow like you do for fun around these parts? The man said with a cheeky smile spreading easily across his face.

Revui could think of a few things that would be entertaining to himself, and while he wasn't sure if Sunhawk was particularly invested in a warrior's lifestyle, he could at the very least show the man around the mountains. I'm sure we can find something if we stick together. His tone remained hollow, but it was an invitation all the same.

no man’s an island, no
73 Posts
Ooc —
What was entertaining to Revui? Stripping flowers of their petals? Keeping girls in holes...? CBT ...? 

Sunhawk could venture a guess or two, but he wasn't sure he'd like the answer. He framed Revui with a smile, not catching that he might be manipulated into coming home like a girl at the club (PLAY ALL THE SINGLE LADIES).

Keeping up with Revui wasn't easy for Sunhawk, who had about 1/3 the stride length. He practically trotted while Revui sauntered, his eye on the monolith quizzically. Don't tell me kickin' girls and lookin' up their skirt is your hobby. You'd get in a lot of trouble back home. Say, what's your name, chief?
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
They were an amusing pair - the giant and the flea, except Sunhawk was nowhere near as irritating. He was a charmer, not that Revui had any reference point, and he entertained the basic-brained man. As he walked he did not even think to slow down for the sake of his new companion; he would either keep up or he wouldn't.

Revui gave a shrug to the commentary after that, finding nothing wrong with kicking girls; most of the girls he knew could fight better than all the men anyway, and it was unsettling to think about trying to kick or disrupt Ikkalrok at any point. That was also partly why he avoided disturbing her in her filthy little den - no need to kick the viper's nest.

Trouble, fun, no difference. He drawls. It isn't as eloquent as some of the curious phrases Sunhawk has used, but it gets the point across. I am Revui. He introduces in the next breath, pausing mid-stride to mutter: Do not call me chief.

no man’s an island, no
73 Posts
Ooc —
Keep up, or don't. Gotcha. Sunhawk sped along with his legs faster than Merryleg's. Beauty and the beast, Woody and Buzz, Samwise and Boromir. There were all sorts of epithets that could describe this handsome pair, but they'd make their own -- Sunhawk and Chief Rev-- no? No Chief? Hmm.

He didn't have much more material to go on. "No chiefy for the big boy? Hm, okay." Sunhawk's dark legs sped out before him as he struggled to keep up with Bigwig's stride. "Well, I'm Sunhawk - but you can call me anything, if it doesyafine, thanks." A beamy smile was sent Revui's way. "What's on the agenda then, Bigui?"
Ghost
816 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Warrior
Ecologist
Revui was staring at the rest of the mountain range, trying to plot out a plan for the rest of the day. He did enjoy hiking the mountains and trying to conquer each peak, but he doubted this chatty man would enjoy that, plus it was a private venture more than anything. That left them with the obvious: they could hunt together, or they could find someone to harass. Any misadventure would help Revui learn more about this Sunhawk fellow. On a whim, he chose their path: descending towards the canyon.

Exploration. This way. He commanded, as if he knew what he was doing. He didn't, pretty much ever. Exploring the mountain range with a companion would be entertaining for the beast, at least for now, and he could get back to conquering the peaks later - provided they did not run in to any dire situations.

Close here? Leads in to the Donovan thread.

no man’s an island, no
73 Posts
Ooc —
Chatty man could dig explorin'. Hell, some of his favorite trinkets had been found 'splorin'. Like the cool shell he had found once by the river, that Baxter had totally ignored. Or one time, this really interesting crinkly clear thing that was like a leaf but not brittle. He had carried that around for days until Baxter finally got annoyed enough to chuck the thing down river..

Sunhawk had genuinely mourned its loss.

Stepping pretty besides Chief Bigui, Sunhawk grinned and was off. Any day was a fine day to explore, and with a new buddy like Revui, where could you go wrong?

Indeed. Where could you go wrong?