Moonspear You know well what I've been through
253 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Joining 
Toad had wandered for too long. She didn't like being alone. The last three nights, she had let out slow, lonely, haunting howls to let others know where she was. They sounded sad. They hung in the air like a bad dream. Steadily, the brown, plump wolf had made her way toward the mountain.

After she had left her family, Toad wasn't sure what would be in store for her in the Teekon Wilds. Thus far, she had tried in vain to search for remnants of her sister's pack. Though she had turned over stone and earth in the Redhawk Caldera, she found nothing of note in the empty circle. In her limited travels, she had circled the same two areas over and over again, heading briefly to the Flatlands only to find it largely desolate.

Unwilling to sacrifice her happiness and wellbeing any longer, Toad came to the only place she knew must be good. @Kukutux had been more than kind to her, offering her useful advice and knowledge to contact Fox. The white lady had also pointed her toward Moonspear, which had been sitting at the back of her mind for a long while. Though journeying had its benefits, her feet grew tired as she crept up the base of the mountain to the foothills. It was early evening and cool outside when she reached a clearly marked border, so said her sensitive nose.

Looking at the ground, she wondered for a moment if she was making the right decision here. Yes. She needed more.
With a slow thrust of her fluffy head, her voice echoed over the area as she let loose a great howl. It was long, lingering. It told of her loneliness and good intentions. She sat there, hoping that the Moonspears would find her an acceptable creature, nervous.
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
Down the mountain slope did the long-limbed panther go. Upon the call, she was rather quick to follow with an ease down to who had summoned. The call didn't specify what was needed, a simple one of loneliness, but one to Moonspear nontheless. Desdemona arrived from the shadows of the tree's, and looked upon the visitor.

"I am Desdemona, and this is Moonspear territory," she said, business-like, "what do you need?"
253 Posts
Ooc — Zina
The woman who came to greet her was unfamiliar and unnerving to Toad. Her dark coat seemed to come from nowhere, slipping past the trees and into view like a shadow. Her face was angled and stern. She stated the facts as just that — facts. Not a kind word was spared.

I, uhm, I'm Toad Amelia, she introduced, keeping her ears and tail low. Her posture had already melted from the dark wolf's features and voice alone, though Desdemona was hardly an animal of great size. Though tall, Toad probably outweighed her significantly with her fluff alone. I came to Moonspear to for shelter, and, comradery perhaps, she explained, her creamy voice rather shakey. Kukutux and I had a long conversation some time ago, so I came to see the mountain for myself. She name dropped rather shamelessly, quite intimidated by the other.
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
"You are wishing to join Moonspear?" The other went on about their desires for Moonspear, but didn't clarify if they wish to join. There was also the mention of @Kukutux, that while they weren't close, she had met the white wolf. At the moment she rose to the ranks and had given birth to @Jarilo's kids. She wasn't sure if she would come down the mountains, and so the spider-guard refrained from saying much about her, "She is here."

Though Desdemona perhaps wasn't the best greeter, as even so the other became more meek, she maintained a grand posture and a solemn look on the other, patiently talking to them before needing to call onto the Alpha.
253 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Yes, sorry, yes, I am wishing to join you here, Toad bumbled, tilting her head apologetically. She wasn't very good at speaking to anyone who felt authoritative, as evidenced by her sloppy mien. Her smile returned at the reassuring thought that the white mother was indeed on the mountain. She knew that the woman was a very different creature from herself, but she had the feeling that they could teach one another quite a lot, perhaps even because of their differences.

Perhaps that was the same here, as well, with Desdemona. Toad took a breath, and let it go with light sigh, aiding in relaxing herself. She stood up slightly, though didn't dare bring a dominating stance to her posture. I bring to you fair hunting abilities, and a solid skill in remembering the past and all I have seen and have been told, she explained, reminding herself that she was not being prideful in sharing this information. She was old enough to know that these were very tangible skillsets that not everyone had, and so felt they were worth mentioning to the stranger.
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
"I see," Desdemona nodded, "I must call upon my Alpha; i'm only a guard, and cannot make the call." She was a wolf of warrior and hunting, and didn't understand too well upon the thought of remembering and re-telling tales. She knew remembering the past was important, but didn't think much of it as a skill, as any could do so. She mostly noted the hunting part, of what Toad had said.

So with that being said, the spider-like woman stepped back to howl for @Hydra, in accordance to a loner wishing to join.
parts of stars, parts of legends
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Jarilo came from off the mountain, having been busy hunting in the flatlands with Dirge, Vega, and Antares when the first howl had risen tot he wind. Guessing that much like had left the growing pair of pups with Kukutux to entertain for the day while he pursued the stocks for their caches, Dirge had left Hydra with their quartet of increasingly-wandering young ones and sure, while she could easily pass their care off onto her sisters for a short while, he was relatively in the area. He trusted that the tracking could go on without him for now.

The dark Ostrega parted ways with the hunting party, and howled a little call to say he was coming before flattening his lope out into a fully fledged gallop as the valleys gave rise to Moonspear's elevation. The second howl for the Alpha had let him pinpoint their location further, and soon enough, he was closing in.

So, while he arrived on the scene from beyond the claim, windswept but bright eyed, he was quick to the business. He didn't suspect that Desdemona had left much room for anything but that, however, and he was still new to his official role as second (having spent much of his tenure as Beta so far doing pup-centric things and hunting to feed their growing needs). Hey, he greeted, a soft sway to his tail as he slowed up, panting. Granted, he wasn't Hydra, but he was fairly certain that he would do--unless it was something personal needing his sister's attention... and in that case, well... What's going on? he asked, flicking the glance from stranger to guard then.
[Image: FTnkWJH.png]
253 Posts
Ooc — Zina
As Desdemona explained that she was only a greeter, that she would have to call forth someone of rank, Toad felt herself shrink. The woman was so fierce, so confident, that Toad had been sure she was the one that called the shots. The thought of another person who was even fiercer was almost scary. Still, she was a person who had always liked to meet new people, even when the circumstances were putting her on the spot. Desdemona howled for the first in command, and as she finished, Toad gave her a calm, quiet smile.

She was a patient woman; waiting was not something that she needed to fill with words. Instead, she sat down, taking in the scent of the mountain, wondering what beauty was held within its borders. The male who approached them didn't take long, having already been moving toward her from the start. She stood when he arrived respectfully, her own tail waving low briefly in greeting. Hello, she greeted back to him. He smelled familiar, somehow; she realized after a moment that he carried Kukutux's scent with him. I'm Toad Amelia, and I've come hoping to join you.. here on the mountain, she explained briefly. She lowered her eyes.

Surely, he would have questions, but Toad didn't give more details since surely Desdemona would have her own information. She prepared for the worst; being turned away would be difficult, but not the end of the world were they to decide that she was not Moonspear material.
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
Desdemona tipped her head in a polite greeting, "This is our Beta, Jarilo," and then glanced between the two, "he is the husband of Kukutux." While she called for the Alpha, instead he had arrived, but she did care, as the result would be the same. He also had the authority to determine if she would join, or Moonspear was too full at the moment.

"She knows Kukutux," the spider said to Jarilo, telling of a relationship to the girl. Usually, from her own experience, when associated with a Moonspearian, specifically an Ostrega, they had a higher chance of joining. Desdemona knew the cerberus from Morningside, and thankfully they had welcomed her in without much resistance. Perhaps the boost would help ease the nervous girls recruitment.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Regarding them both with a cool interest, he found nothing amiss so far, and prompted by his arrival, more came easily on to the forefront. Desdemona gave him an introduction of sorts, to which he nodded softly. Yeah, I think Hydra is with the pups. Dirge and I were out hunting with the yearlings, he explained, mainly for the dark guardian's sake--though it might have provided a hint of insight to Moonspear's head family as well.

Then, the stranger was Toad Amelia, here to join them. While the name, neither of them, really struck major familiarity in him, he supposed Toad was a suiting one for her now that she said it and he saw her in full. Ah, nice, he breathed, on knowing Kukutux as he swiftly racked his brain to recount if she had mentioned anything about her. But, more keen for the moment, he was quick to move on to find out more.

He was open to prospective newcomers, for he couldn't say they had seen many lately. Plus, he valued new blood for their different perspectives, and the chance to integrate onto the mountain he had grown on to love. Have you known her long? he asked because he was curious, for as close as they had slowly become in the last several moons, mysteries remained between he and his pale wife. We value hunters and mercenary-sorts here, especially lately, pups considered, but we are a varied bunch honestly. I think so long as one can be loyal to the mountain, they can settle well here--whatever their specialty, Jarilo prefaced, as he had always seen it, anyway. An appreciation for Hydra helped too of course. What are your main interests? he wanted to know next.
253 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Toad looked brightly at Jarilo, her eyes lighting up with sheer delight at the new information that she was indeed Kukutux's mate, and thus a new father. The end of her tail wagged happily at this while he shared that it was Hydra sitting his puppies. There were so many new people to meet, so many faces to know and remember. This, of course, would be no challenge for Toad. Memory had always been a strong suit for her, though names she had to work a bit extra hard to recall.

I haven't; I had a long chat with her at Firefly Glen — she was quite kind to me and told me of Moonspear, she explained. She wished to know the ethereal mother in greater detail. She was a most interesting person. Her ideas about death and the afterlife were entirely new for Toad, who found it all fascinating.

Jarilo began explaining the pack's needed skills. Though Toad was a fair hunter, she was just about the opposite of a mercenary or warrior. She had a strong, assertive streak to her otherwise sweet temperament, but fighting had never pleased her. It's stories that are my thrill in life, I would say, she began, still serving a pleasant smile. I remember things well, and take pride in sharing them when I can. She gave a small nod to Desdemona, who had already heard Toad mention this. I'm also a fair hunter, she added. Toad had lived long enough to not be particularly shy when it came to citing her own talents, though she knew there was always room for improvement.

The idea of meeting Kukutux's puppies was certainly something that excited her, but she knew better than to mention this to a protective father.
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
skippable unless directly spoke to!

Desdemona was often one to greet visitors, but she was never one to take control of the conversation. Once another with a more sociable liking came to, she generally took a step back for them to reign over. In a literal sense, she stepped back like a shadow to the Beta, and silently watched with stoicism while Jarilo got a keen sense of the new members abilities.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Even without a lengthy history between them, knowing she had spent time with Kukutux was good with him, and insofar, her warm bearing did not off-put him any either--not just because she spoke well of his pale wife, either, though it probably helped. It was her penchant for the stories, and of course being a fair hunter, that further helped solidified his good graces easily enough. If she was of sound mind enough to remember that, and capable of helping them take-down prey, then he was sure Hydra and their sisters wouldn't disagree here. He also thought fleetingly of Osiris, who he knew wanted to chronicle the histories of the mountain and beyond.. so perhaps he may benefit from her company, too. Maybe there would be some opportunity here for him, somehow, but he was getting ahead of himself there.

Well I'm willing to extend the welcome, he said, tipping down his nose in a short nod. Though many truly prove themselves in the weeks to come. We do have our share of history here, if it interests your stories any, he smirked a touch. They were nothing new on these slopes, though wolves like his parents would have been far better suited for the best details there.. but only a year too late to meet them. But anyway, it is mostly my family here, founded by my parents--Ostregas, by name, though not all, he gestured beside him to the dark guard. Desdemona was a strong testament to that, and Moriko too. Even that gold-furred Drakru girl had stuck around after her companion fled, even if her presence was difficult to catch sometimes. Point being, Jarilo was open to fresh faces, and liked Toad so far--so why not? He'd give her the chance to prove herself to the rest of them with time. Maybe she would really fit in, if it suited her. Hydra is my sister, and her mate Dirge. They lead the show.. although I guess maybe Kukutux told you a bit already maybe? Anything else you'd like to know? Because I can show you the forests some, before heading up any. he offered, with his nose pointing to the scenes as he spoke on and on.

He had heard no howls from the hunting parties abroad, so figured they would keep on keeping on without him for now.
253 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Can be faded :D
Part of Toad thought that it might have been the wiser option to go all the way back to her family and spend her days there. But, it was time for her to start creating her own stories instead of merely waiting in the shadows of others around her. This, she was sure, was something she would be able to do at Moonspear.

Her face lit up like a child at a play date when Jarilo welcomed her. Oh, absolutely it interests me, she confirmed, excited to learn more about the pack's delightful history. There were tales to be told and tales to learn, and this was something that she would find great pride and pleasure in.

While the dark Beta described the dynamics of the pack, Toad listened intently, taking in all of the names, parroting them in her mind so that she might recall them more easily later. The Ostregas seemed a grand family, not unlike her own. The brown story-teller was determined that she would prove herself worthy of Jarilo's confidence in the coming weeks, however that may be. She had always been a hard worker and believed that real trust was something that was earned.

Kukutux left out most details, she said, and by some she really meant all. Their conversation had related mostly to the land and to things of a more morbid nature. Oh yes, there's so much to know! But, do you mind if I take you up on that, giving a tour of these forests, just a bit? She gestured to where he had pointed. Knowledge-hungry, Toad wanted to eat up every ounce of anything he could tell her, but she knew that she mustn't overly tire the husband of her friend. She decided to start with something simple — land was easy to talk about and show. These lowlands were likely important hunting grounds she would need to know inside and out to be successful during group hunts.
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
Her acceptance seemed finalized. Desdemona simply nodded at the two, a signal for her leaving as she motioned for a farwell. The spider wasn't one for much words, and so she left upon everything being alright, and no guard needed. Jarilo was socialable enough where he volunteered himself for the matter, and she was grateful. 

With that, Desdemona was back to her patrolling.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Offer accepted, then, and he affirmed with a slow nod and sway to his tail--glad to have that much settled and ready to move along to the next bits. Even considering his sheer newness at passing the official judgements like these instead of only deferring to Hydra and Dirge (or once, Arcturus), he had a good feeling about Toad, and was happy to welcome her into their fold. Sounds good, he said, beginning his partial pivot. And of course, the forests are the best place to start, he said, swinging his muzzle in a gesture towards them at length, then another short nod for Desdemona who took her leave.. presumably back off to her patrol judging by her departure, but Jarilo had been thankful for her presence nonetheless.

I'll give you the basics, at least, but there's a lot to see--and I'll let you settle in first, too.. he said, pushing off into a slow trot that he hoped she would join him on as he led the way.