BREEDING SEASON CHANGES FOR 2021
July 22, 2020, 12:21 PM
Towhee
Firebirds
Sovereign*
Hey everyone, after a lot of consideration and discussion, we are (finally! :P) ready to announce the results of our breeding season polls:

https://wolf-rpg.com/showthread.php?tid=41672
https://wolf-rpg.com/showthread.php?tid=42216

Thank you for participating and bearing with us as we finalized the details. We wanted to let the community inform the decision while keeping it manageable on our end.

With that said, we've decided to expand the season. Conception may now occur between January 1 and June 30, with litters being born March through August.

Additionally, we're implementing some Minimum Eligibility Requirements ("MER"s). Since there was a strong toss-up between 3 months/100 posts and 3 months/150 posts, we decided to compromise. Characters must now achieve 3 months' consecutive longevity and 120 posts to be eligible to breed.

We will expedite the updates to the Guidebook and welcome your feedback via comment or message.

-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.
Members of Firebirds are welcome to power-play Towhee (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not she's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

July 22, 2020, 12:35 PM
Stryx
Seelie Court
Soul
Glad to see a change but majority voted for removal of the season - can you explain why it was expanded instead? Happy to see MERs!
July 22, 2020, 12:39 PM
Towhee
Firebirds
Sovereign*
(July 22, 2020, 12:35 PM)Stryx Wrote: Glad to see a change but majority voted for removal of the season - can you explain why it was expanded instead? Happy to see MERs!

Sure! The breeding season can be very tough on the administration, with lots of extra overhead required. (We are working on optimizing it on the back-end but we still have a ways to go.) We decided as a team that we can handle it half the year and use the other half for a break. :)

-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.
Members of Firebirds are welcome to power-play Towhee (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not she's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

July 22, 2020, 12:41 PM
Stryx
Seelie Court
Soul
(July 22, 2020, 12:39 PM)Towhee Wrote:
(July 22, 2020, 12:35 PM)Stryx Wrote: Glad to see a change but majority voted for removal of the season - can you explain why it was expanded instead? Happy to see MERs!

Sure! The breeding season can be very tough on the administration, with lots of extra overhead required. (We are working on optimizing it on the back-end but we still have a ways to go.) We can handle it half the year, not the whole one.

Someone else explained to me that with the extension, now characters can breed all year except in winter, which is sort of the same as an abolishment of the breeding season concept. That's what I was hoping for - and voted for, the removal of the season and inclusion of MERs year round. TY! Makes sense now.
July 22, 2020, 12:45 PM
Towhee
Firebirds
Sovereign*
(July 22, 2020, 12:41 PM)Stryx Wrote:
(July 22, 2020, 12:39 PM)Towhee Wrote:

Sure! The breeding season can be very tough on the administration, with lots of extra overhead required. (We are working on optimizing it on the back-end but we still have a ways to go.) We can handle it half the year, not the whole one.

Someone else explained to me that with the extension, now characters can breed all year except in winter, which is sort of the same as an abolishment of the breeding season concept. That's what I was hoping for - and voted for, the removal of the season and inclusion of MERs year round. TY! Makes sense now.

Yeah! We really tried to balance what the majority of members wanted with what we honestly think we can handle as both admins and players. We want to make sure other priorities, including managing other parts of the game and, of course, role playing, don't get subsumed! Thanks for understanding.

July 22, 2020, 12:49 PM
Arcturus
Firebirds
Tradesman I
Another concern was keeping with the realism! We tried our very best to balance the wants of the player base with our current realism standards, as well as make sure the season could be sustainable long term for CMs to monitor. There is a lot of work involved in keeping records of the legitimacy of all puppies on WOLF and would be overwhelming to do year round.

when you come down to take me home
send my soul away

July 22, 2020, 01:32 PM
Surya
Lone Wolves

Solid compromise -- thanks for implementing this!

english | hindi
July 22, 2020, 02:15 PM
Towhee
Firebirds
Sovereign*
(July 22, 2020, 01:32 PM)Surya Wrote: Solid compromise -- thanks for implementing this!

We appreciate this feedback, especially after putting (probably way too) much thought into the final decisions! :)