Hoshor Plains junebug, what have you done? [m]
137 Posts
Ooc — nami
All Welcome 
attn: @Miriam @Mal

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: major sexual assault cw

like tearing; a burning, throbbing ache. liliana chased herself in circles, frantically snapping at her rear in an illogical attempt to make it stop. the sun had since gone down, leaving her bathed in darkness, moonlight reflecting on the thin trickle of blood.

she quickly tired herself out, her body refusing to stand any longer and instead collapsing onto the ground, but her attempts to groom herself did not stop. soft whines escaped her maw as she went, her limbs shaking with residual fear and fatigue.
great bear wilderness · open for threads (2/5)
Pledged
Shadewood
fine as any blade
404 Posts
Ooc —
Riley hadn't done any of what the doctor ordered. No lying low or taking it easy. He was obsessed with doing his best to impress Esme, and Esme's affections were very hard won.

He had limped from their meeting spot out into the plains, following after a scent of what seemed to be injured, easy game.

His stomach snarled and commanded he pursue, so he did -- salivating as he came upon the hunched, bleeding form of --

A child.

Riley stopped, ears pulling back in confusion. He licked his lips in uncertainty, looking around the small clearing for either a parent, or the creature that had done this. He was too wary to let his guard down. Rather than approach the whimpering girl, Riley nosed slowly around her. He found no recent scent in the grass, but there was a pervasive, wrong scent along her spine that had his fur lifting on end in discomfort.

He ceased his inspection of the area, settling one crocodilian eye on the child. It was not within his .. ah .. alignment, to eat her -- but how he wished she had been a rabbit instead of whatever horrible, sorry thing she was now.

Riley had never been one for comforting, but what could he do now? He couldn't very well leave her to whatever hideous thing it was that had... well, done that. A shudder paced down his spine, a chill settling in his ribcage as he looked from girl to moving shadows, waiting -- hoping -- her family would somehow appear and he could pass her off with no guilt on his conscience.
time falls like moonlight
317 Posts
Ooc —
Away
There was a butterfly. She found it so rare, so simply be near her den, that was so empty for her pups went out to play. She had nothing to do, in all honesty, so idly by, did she follow the butterfly. Though this butterfly simply, disappeared by the time she had left the woods, and arriving at the stream. It was like a light, guiding, but when it simply disappeared from her sight when she looked away, her stomache dropped.

Something was terribly wrong.

The guidance she was given, and the running, she went to the direction she last saw the sign. Then, there she was. Her beautiful daughter, distraught on the ground with another near the distance, "Liliana!" Her mother called out, as she drew near, the scent was strong. The scent of that, that she knew since the night of Mal. However it was not from the man, but her own, young daughter, who knew nothing else.

She was too young to know. 

It wasn't her fault.

"Oh my Goddess," tears were streaming down the young mother, completely forgetting the man beside as she bent down to her daughter with a broken heart, "Liliana, it's okay, Amma is here... Amma is here."
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
For ease of timelinethings, assume Mal shows up IDK partway through the next round? Like not the same instant of Miriam because that's weird. XD

Mal had found Liliana's trail across the borders while he was on patrol... Again? He really had thought that he'd gotten the point across last time the twins had gone wandering. Apparently not. Hell. Well, time to go find her. Hopefully she wouldn't be far, but the trail wasn't the freshest... If only he could be everywhere at once.

So he ran along after her. Occasionally he'd call for his daughter, but he heard no reply, but again, he was far enough behind that wasn't surprising. Eventually he did see a taller grey figure (and an unfamiliar darkish one), and called out, Miriam?! And yes, Mal was concerned, duh. He'd ran all the way out here to make sure his daughter was safe, which it looked like she hadn't been, but it would take a few moments for him to put the evidence together, so even before he came to a stop, he asked, What happened? He came up close to Miriam and Liliana, to look them over and make a decision based on what he could tell and what was said.

Then his glance slid back to the unfamiliar yearling, suspicious. He was probably lucky Mal hadn't confused him with Merrick or anything (relations, after all!), but unfamiliar guy and how the scene likely was set at this point, he wasn't gonna trust the guy unless someone said he'd turned out to be a rescuer.
137 Posts
Ooc — nami
another stranger, though largely unacknowledged, was the first to approach. liliana’s ears rang loudly enough with the reverberating hum of panic that he hardly drew a second glance, until miriam arrived and she returned to herself.

her mother’s voice, her touch, sent liliana scrambling. tail tucked, she wobbled quickly within amma’s reach, each of her heartbeats near visible against her chest. ma, yana whispered, m-ma..

transitory gaze fell upon the stranger for only a moment. he wasn’t the one who had hurt her, but he was still someone else, and that meant danger. liliana scrambled to bury herself in miriam’s fur as she had during her first days, an attempt to hide from the hurt.
Pledged
Shadewood
fine as any blade
404 Posts
Ooc —
"I didn't do that," Riley blurted several moments after Miriam sped to the scene. He had watched the grey waif speed off towards the babe -- both relieved, and heartsick -- that she seemed to know the bloodied child.

It made Riley think of Laurel. It made his blood boil and stomach drop.

"I found her like that." Riley reiterated, feeling a sense of ugliness overcome him. He could not explain what he had deduced from the puppy -- it was wrong, even balled up as an unspeakable idea on his tongue.

He didn't know what to do, and so, he was stupidly still sitting off to the side when another wolf arrived. Riley gave the male a wary glance, unwilling to stick around but too -- shocked? dimwitted? to skedaddle.

Riley could no longer see the child; why did he care? He couldn't explain the inexplicable feeling - but he, of all the wolves in this clearing, likely had the most terrible thing conceivable in common now with the small, terrified child. "Is she going to be okay?"
317 Posts
Ooc —
Away
She was heartbroken.

Her child, her first litter, her only daughter, had been touched by the darkness, in such ways, she couldn't help but weep for her little girl. She tucked her closely to her stomach, while constantly licking her over and over, trying to remove any scent, and any evidence that there was. She had completely ignored Mal, not even realizing his presence.. Miriam was soley focused on her daughter, and what happened.. With scent of a man was so prominant, for a second she glared at the stranger.

But the scents were different. It was not him who hurt her daughter, who let the darkness fester within. She blinked out the glare but looked back at her daughter with a guilty gaze- if she only could've been faster, saw the signs quicker, this wouldn't have happen. She shouldn't have let her go, she was still young, too young to explore.

The mistakes of guilt ate her.

"I don't know," Miriam said, as her voice shook alongst her shaking daughter, "do you know.. Who did this?"
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
But this random dude wasn't the perpetrator, apparently, so Mal turned his attention back to his packmate and daughter. He reached out to nose Miriam's shoulder. Look, he was here. He would do what he could, and he would make sure the were safe. He circled around to where Liliana was hiding, partially trying to sniff for clues, but also not wanting to get in Miriam's way as she removed the evidence of the crime. And pieces came together. Phillip was his first thought -- what had happened to him? He was pretty sure it wasn't the same person. He'd have to backtrack a bit to make sure he could pick out the scent. 

But he would make sure Liliana was surrounded by her parents, one on each side. You're safe now. We're here. I'm not gonna let that person anywhere near you. Though his voice was soft for Liliana's benefit, his eyes definitely had a pointed edge to them that they didn't before. His expression hardened as he looked back to the stranger, scanned the horizon and sniffed the wind. Not nearby. The desire to maim whoever did this wasn't floating too far beneath the surface. Worry had quickly been replaced with rage -- a nice unspoken 'whoever it was has limited days left to live' kind of feel to it all.

Other guy was kind of superfluous unless he had some details to offer up.
137 Posts
Ooc — nami
liliana appreciated her father’s presence, something familiar that she could use to ground herself. she stumbled beside him, now lying between miriam and mal, and looked from her half-hidden resting place toward the stranger.
Pledged
Shadewood
fine as any blade
404 Posts
Ooc —
He didn't feel sorry for the mother. Or the man. Just the girl. 

Laurel had been a girl once. 

Riley's throat began to burn. His mouth dry. Just a girl. 

He realized the mother's gaze - so desperate and full of grief - was on him. Riley backtracked, trying to figure out what it was she had asked just seconds before. 

No, He answered baldly, looking back at the male who now looked as if he might kill the next thing that walked into the glade. Riley tried to remember if he had noticed anything other than blood. I found her like that. Weren't here long before you showed up. I came from there. He motioned to the grass path where his tracks and scent were still present.

It felt uncomfortably hot to Riley. Oppressive. The scent of blood -- of fluid that wasn't blood was so inexplicable it turned his stomach.. He nearly blanched, turning in time to see the child's fearful, sorrowful eyes were upon him. In that moment he froze, his fur gradually growing on end as the iniquity of what had happened to her truly came over him.

He was not in the best state physically, but it did not stop the words that slid from his throat, much in the same dark tone Esme's had been only a few days before. "I'll help you kill him."

Riley's stake in this game had been minimal -- but he only needed to think of his mother, to think of how he had been born, and it was enough to set his sails in motion. The girl was lucky - she might be young enough she would not remember.

If she was lucky, she would never know at all.
317 Posts
Ooc —
Away
Liliana slipped away and sat between the two parents, but Miriam was quick to get closer, and cover her once more, even if it meant getting quite into Mal's space. She didn't want to forcibly move her daughter in this horrific state, simply not knowing how much pain she could be. All she could do was desperately lick any, and all evidence she could to reassure Liliana, that Amma was here.

Then she froze. Looking up, Miriam looked directly at Riley, and wasn't sure what to say. She never believed a punishment of murder should be, but the sorrow, and simple rage she felt for what happened.. Could the other be reformed? Did she want to even make the attempt?

"Ca.. Can," Miriam shouldn't make any rash decisions, "can you find him?" Her starry eyes had a fleeting look to Mal, and back at Riley, a desperate look to the two. They had to find who had done this.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Mal didn't mind having his space invaded -- well, maybe by a stranger, but everyone else he didn't care too much. Again he leaned down, this time to nuzzle Liliana, wishing there was something else he could do besides comfort her at this moment.

At Riley's suggestion, there was a flicker of some sort of mixed emotion. Recognition of justice? That he wasn't too far off track with thinking that killing the perpetrator wasn't too much of a stretch? Something like that. He was about to reply when Miriam spoke first. He leaned over and licked the crown of her head. It was about all he could think of that would be somewhat comforting (probably). The point in his stare had at least for the moment disappeared -- or been buried further so it wasn't obvious, I'll find him. It was as much of a promise he could make. 

He looked back to Riley, some of the intensity had returned, I'll need to get them home and make sure everyone else is safe first. I'm Mal. Where do you live? He wasn't going to say no to someone who wanted to help. Or maybe he would when he realized who that dude ran with, but not quite yet.
137 Posts
Ooc — nami
growing frustration began to bubble into soft, aggravated whimpers. liliana thumped her paws against the ground in protest to her mother’s grooming, and found herself drifting back to that place of fear.

why were they still here? why was he here? she didn’t know him, and while riley hadn’t done anything to hurt her directly, yana didn’t want to be around him anymore. she wanted to go home — why were they still here?

liliana tried working her way upward, but the return of that searing pain made it difficult for her to find balance. she stood there, legs splayed and ears back, staring down toward the ground to hide her exasperation.

home? she whispered to miriam, then to mal, abba, we go home. her voice was low, quiet, but had the pointed ends of an urgent demand. it was embarrassing, having to stand helpless and unaware; couldn’t they understand that?
Pledged
Shadewood
fine as any blade
404 Posts
Ooc —
Riley was not aware of the moral dilemma he presented. In his eyes the world was nothing but a bastardized form of Hammurabi’s Code — do worse to those that have done harm to you.

There was no redemption save death, in Riley’s eyes.

His attention shifted to Mal, realizing he had asked a question. The girl was beginning to fuss. Time seemed to slow as Riley processed his question. He would soon learn that most of the world believed you were the company you keep.

I’m from Easthollow, but I don’t live there anymore. I live by the red sands. Truthfully, Riley didn’t know the name of the territory the Saints claimed (hello, he called Hushed Willows ‘land of the soggy trees’). But I’ve been gone, looking for Esme.
317 Posts
Ooc —
Away
Her daughter may of struggled, but Miriam simply continued over, and over. She wasn't sure how else to comfort besides simply being there, a shield that she couldn't have been a while ago. A fleeting look to Mal, a look of desperation for him to find the man who done this. She wanted justice, but she was conflicted on what kind of justice, that she wanted. The comforting motion from Mal calmed her rage for just a moment.. Then a look to Riley, before back to Liliana.

"We will go home.. We will definitely go home," the mother whispered to her child. She would bring her home, and make sure she would not leave from her sight, anymore.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Mal wasn't familiar with Easthollow -- Atausiq hadn't mentioned it, pretty sure -- and Simmik hadn't known exactly where Saints were staying -- since Riley hadn't mentioned it, well, Mal couldn't make a snarky comment. Oh well. Maybe he'd find out later. Can't say I've met anyone named Esme, he said. That was all he could offer on that, unfortunately. He wasn't really in the frame of mind to help out searching for another stranger right now, either, for obvious reasons. When I find the guy, who do I call for? AKA gimme yo' name.

But that was when his daughter piped up, Yes, we will, to Liliana, a broad nod. Then to Miriam, You can start off if you want -- I can catch up in a few minutes. I need to know that scent. So I'll be right behind you. Mal leaned over again to give both Miriam and Liliana another comforting lick. He probably had to backtrack a little bit from here to find it for sure, but it wouldn't be long. If Liliana didn't want to linger, he didn't want to force her to.
137 Posts
Ooc — nami
last post!

the presence of her parents stabilized her quivering body enough for slow, calculated steps. her balance would be like that of a newborn babe: unsteady, lacking confidence, with intermittent falls, but liliana’s determination to make it home would keep her upright. she would remain silent until reaching the den, where she would collapse to enjoy whatever rest she could find.
Pledged
Shadewood
fine as any blade
404 Posts
Ooc —
Riley watched as mother and daughter bade their leave -- when the puppy's back was turned to him he sharply looked away. 

Rifts of upright fur appeared along his neck and spine. When Mal spoke his gaze climbed slowly back to the older male, dark and full of something unrecognizable. 

Riley. He answered at last, not surprised in the slightest that Mal has never heard of Esme. Seems no one had. 

Was he going crazy?

Did she exist?

He shifted uncomfortably before speaking again. I'll stay here if you want to come back. He knew there was some valor to staying near where crimes happened -- he couldn't explain, but his gut knew. 

Either way, he wasn't going anywhere in a hurry. The cuts along his flank saw to that.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Told to skip Miriam! Think this can be wrapped.

And so Miriam and Liliana started home. He watched them go for a moment. He lowered his head then, backtracking a bit along the scent trails to find a section of just the man. Mal had to inhale his disgusting scent, to memorize it. If only it was possible to just erase him from the planet like he could the scent from the earth here. He circled around. Had the guy gone to the west? 

Maybe he could pick up the trail again later. I can't be back out immediately -- can once the pack is all informed and safe. I'll find you if I smell where he's hidden. And if you find a track before I do. My forest is the way they're going, let me know. Because Mal wanted to take a pound of flesh from that guy, if not more -- and preferably a section that would hurt a lot and/or be deadly. It sounded like a fitting way to end the guy. What other suffering had he caused? Mal's expression had definitely chilled. Looked around, as if some ghost was going to hint on the horizon what way to go. He will be caught.
Pledged
Shadewood
fine as any blade
404 Posts
Ooc —
Riley watched the duo go. It made him miss his mother.

It made him heartsick, for more reason than one.

Remaining motionless, his gaze tracked Mal as the wolf backtracked some, sniffing along the ground. Riley had sniffed more than enough of the man's scent when he had first found the girl -- a shudder coldly snaked its way down his spine.

Mal divulged he had to go home. It made sense to Riley, though he wondered if he stayed here in this clearing if he would catch the man eventually. It didn't matter. Those wolves always got what was coming to them.

"Call for Riley." He reiterated, knowing when and if the call came, he would be more than ready to find his own pound of flesh, too.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
It would be nice if some day the outside world stayed calm, stayed safe. It never did, but he could dream. It always seemed like just as things started to be calm and safe, things proved they weren't. Why did it keep happening? None of them deserved it. The only ones who deserved it were the ones causing the trouble in the first place -- if only they could go and fight each other and leave the rest of them out of it.

But Mal would protect his people. He nodded to Riley -- it was a determined nod. The mission wasn't now, but it definitely was a thing that would be in motion, even if slightly. But other things were afoot. There was always something.

At that point, Mal took a final sniff of the man's scent to lock it in his mind, then turned to run off after Miriam and Liliana. They weren't going to be let out of his sight until they were well within the territory. How could this have happened?