Gilded Bay i was born in a lighthouse, where my mother lay
and the gulls gave me my singing voice
60 Posts
Ooc — markab
Away
All Welcome 
67F, heavy rain, 5pm. all welcome :) loosely written for hunting but feel free to derail!

with the daylight beginning to wane, the howl of the storm unchanged, yunxu pulls himself, dripping, from the sea.

the rain takes its place; hammers his fur tight against his body, highlighting the angles of ribs and lean swimmer’s muscle. it has not stopped raining in days. the ocean has nearly caught him more than once, but it will take more than wind and waves to drown a creature of the water.

his limbs ache with the beginnings of exhaustion. much as he wants to obey, there will be time to sleep later.

the winds are calmer here, banked by the sharp rise of the cliff. the late afternoon sun is muted by cloud cover and rain. yunxu stalks along the shore's edge, predator's gaze locked on the small gathering of seals under the rocks, as trapped as he is by the gale.

he still has his duty, even here, so far from home’s shores. there are many places left to search. but it has been a long time since he’s hunted, and swimming through a storm is hungry work.

sequoia coast
english | mandarin
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
It was unlike Vallkyrie to have gone this far. Her range of hunting usually extended from her forest, through the open field and plains to the Stavenger Bay. Yet this time she pushed further down the coast and further still, without any purpose other then an unwillingness to return home just yet. She knew if she did not come home after some time, @Valencia would worry, but it would still yet be awhile before she would notice. After all, much of her sister's time was away from her sister, at the side of Mal or with what Kyr assumed to be her 'boyfriend'. Her sister, as a Guardian, often stayed home whilst Kyr, ad Huntress, remained mostly outside of it. This time even, much further. 

It was not only her unhappiness which brought her to the sea, but a curiosity. All of the island wolves now lived in her home during these storms for their own wellbeing and Vallkyrie had every intention of finding out just how harsh the weather had become at the coast. 

The sea was, in fact, daughting, intimidating. Of course Kyr knew quite well how to swim, she was not foolish enough to test her abilities this day, not in this weather. Thus, her attention pulled off the roaring tides and down the beach, taking note of a very particular wolf. Small yet not shy of unique. He looked much like Hua, she realized, and strode towards him quietly. A low cuff was given, her icy eyes making sure the other wolf gave her attention before jutting her muzzle in the direction of the seals. Hunt?
60 Posts
Ooc — markab
Away
rolled 1d10 on discord for a success :)

yunxu can barely see or smell them in the rain; they'll notice him no better. he keeps close to the shoreline as he walks. in the water he’d have no chance of catching them, but on land they are easy prey; he is absorbed enough in his calculation that he notices nothing amiss behind him until a low chuff rises above the waves.

he startles at the sound, head swiveling to meet it. the figure stands a ways from him, just as windswept but perhaps not as sodden, fine-boned and clothed in long swaths of black and white. she angles her muzzle in the direction of the pod in a clear invitation.

yunxu looks back at her, doubting the skill of someone not of the southern coasts. yet it would be impolite to refuse, and any fight could scare their prey away. yunxu cares more about a meal than he does about handling foreigners at the moment; he dips his head respectfully, blinking slow, and gestures with his own muzzle towards the side of the pod.

the animal he has chosen is not the largest, but is the most separated from the rest of the rest of the group, and yunxu does not have the energy or the desire to be caught in the middle of a pack of frantic seals. it should be simple enough for them both to corner it, coming one from each side, and kill it before it can slip out to sea.

sequoia coast
english | mandarin
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
He may have been uncertain for a moment as he looks her over but after a slow blinking and an equal jut of his muzzle, Kyr knows he is accepting of them working together for a kill. Seals were slow and clumsy on land though their rounded and slippery skin made it sometimes hard to get a good grasp as they made way towards the ocean. Once in the waters, they were impossible to catch and thus a lost cause. Maybe together they could block one from getting to the seas and gain a good enough grasp to subdue.

Whilst the young black and white wolf makes way along the edge of the coast, Vallkyrie takes long, quick strides in opposite direction, further up towards inland. She is tall but keeps low, trying to hide the white of her throat and undersides so that the majorly black of her blends in with the heavy rains. The rain is heavy, stringing icy eyes which squint in protest. 

From behind, she watches for her mark and when he is ready, she strikes.
60 Posts
Ooc — markab
Away
yunxu is a small presence most times, on the tiny side even for the coast, barely there on the fringes – watching and listening and moving with a soldier's regimented precision until something flips the nebulous switch demanding anything but. he doesn’t consider himself violent, but he won't deny the fact.

he isn’t there yet, but he arcs his back and walks with stiff legs along the sand, limbs loosening, displaying the washed-clean seafoam white of his fur like a shark’s fin over the waves. water laps eagerly at his paws. the pod notices; heads raise, short barks carrying across the bay.

his hunting partner slides up behind them. farther inland, blurred to a squid-ink smudge in the rain. seasalt rises in yunxu’s nose; on its heels, the phantom edge of blood.

yunxu waits until she is close. he paces further and further from shore, turning in slow loops back and forth to keep the seals from the water. hunting does not bother him; hunting with a stranger does, but the steady crash of the waves settles his nerves. when she stops at the edge of the bay, he is ready.

kicking sand from his heels, yunxu blanks his mind and sweeps in.
sequoia coast
english | mandarin
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
He is pacing the coast, keeping the seals in line, distracting as she sneaks up behind them. Once he goes for the strike so too does Vallkyrie and she takes aim to their chosen prey. The others scatter, backing up and tripping in order to give a wide birth from the wolves decending on their partner. Not a one comes to the rescue, for these are not noble animals. It was every man for themselves. Not like different types of deer who were known to guard and protect their own. Not like the hare, which would distract and sacrifice itself for its children. 

Long, lean black limbs straddle the seal, trying to kkeep it in place as it flopped around in attempt to escape. Vallkyrie seizes the back of its neck, causing its head to lift up and trash, trying to free itself. Hopefully this behavior would give the other wolf the opportunity he needed to take it by the throat.
60 Posts
Ooc — markab
Away
yunxu has never lost control to a hunt before, and this will not be the first time.

there is no anger in this violence, with nothing driving him beyond hunger. it is unfortunate necessity, the way his partner’s limbs come up around their target, the way her teeth slide into the back of its neck.

yunxu comes up quiet and steady. sand sprays under his paws as she wrenches the seal’s head back. it barks and thrashes, twisting in her grip. the rest have already scattered for the sea, and the young shark is happy to let them flee.

his teeth come down on its neck, cutting smoothly through the heavy layers of fat. hot blood pours over his lips and mixes with the chill of the rain. the seal draws breath to shriek; the air bubbles from its torn throat and drips away on the wind.

it struggles for a long moment, growing weaker and weaker, until there is no longer a pulse to force its blood into his open jaws. it is only then he draws away, licking at the wetness collected on his chin.

over the corpse steadily cooling at their paws, yunxu bows his head.

so he was wrong.

“a good hunt. thank you,” he says. “i am yunxu jiāng.”
sequoia coast
english | mandarin
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
There is relief when the black and white male takes hold onto the seal's throat, ending it swiftly, quickly. Its trashing slows and Vallkyrie let's go, allowing it to be released in its last beats of heart. She stretches her neck and lifts to full height, hoping off from her straddled position over the now passed seal. It was a powerful animal and its jerking her neck around would leave her a bit stiff the next morning, she knew. All quiet worth it for a kill far larger then any rodent or fish which was her usual solo hunts. 

Panting and licking her bloodied jawline, Vallkyrie's attention presses back to the young wolf as he speaks. An accented tone, quite familiar indeed. It pulls her memories of Ying, reminds her of Hua and her lot now sheltering in her home. Thanks to you as well. I'm not sure I would have been able to keep my hold without back up. It has been quite awhile since I've hunted seal. She spoke, openly admitting her appreciation he had been much willing to work with a stranger. Kyr had hunted plenty with loners and usually it worked out. 

Vallkyrie Archer. She introduces  with a dip of her wet muzzle. I gonna say... She goes on, sitting as she tries to take a moment to allow the adrenaline pumping through her to ease, for her heart rate to calm from the excitement of the hunt. You look quite alot like someone I know. Your accent, too... You wouldnt happen to know Hua, would you?
60 Posts
Ooc — markab
Away
yunxu politely lets his previous doubt go unvoiced. he has not hunted with loners before – only with those of 海龙泻湖. the coastal hunting grounds belong to the empire, and it has never been too friendly to foreigners.

but his estimation seems to have been incorrect.

“they easier to catch now, with the storms,” yunxu notes after a moment, feeling he should say something in return. compared to her, his lack of experience with the language is immediately obvious. he’d rather not underline it.

that particular concern flies in the face of her next words.

“huā – huāzhēn?” the young shark’s head swivels after her; his sides heave with a steadying breath. “yes. she my sister. i come here looking for her.” he hesitates for a moment, doing his best to organize his thoughts. “you know where she is?”
sequoia coast
english | mandarin
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
His attention is suddenly more directly in tune to Vallkyrie and she takes note of this, along with the heavy breath. Perhaps, a flutter of his gut, excitement? She smiles and nods, quick to explain. She had no intention of leaving him hanging. Of course I do. She beams a grin over her inky black mug. Right now she and her pack are staying with us in our forest until the storms settle. They live on an island down the coast from here. Didnt want to get stranded should the tides rise to high and trap them.

And although she had not been out looking to the island yet, by the way which the tides thrashed now she could only suspect they would have been stuck on their island by now. Of course, that didnt sound all too bad, it was a large island after all. But with out link to the mainland, with risk of their fresh water being tainted with the salt waters and stuck up on the higher elevations unable to hunt...now, that would have been bad.
60 Posts
Ooc — markab
Away
yunxu had never thought he would be thankful for strangers interrupting his hunts or engaging him in conversation. part of him insists it is just caution – part of him feels vaguely guilty. but luckily, she’s willing to provide answers, even if they are not the best news. the young seawolf has never enjoyed leaving the water, storm or otherwise.

he offers a thankful smile.

“i… do not want bother you,” yunxu starts, holding back a wrinkle of his nose at his own words. there are few things he’s found more irritating, in the time since he’s left, than knowing he’s stitching his sentences together and being unable to do anything about it. everything would be so much easier in mandarin.

he gives up on the excuse, though that makes it no simpler to continue. “where your pack's forest? what is it called?”
sequoia coast
english | mandarin
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Its... She is hesitant, but a single moment. She didnt want him feeling bad if he felt awkward in his obviously choppy speech. Its okay. Both referring to his tongue and referring to him willing her for more answers. She was, after all, a huntress and scout of her home. Offering information in exchange for others, delivering news, bringing in potential allies, friends, or packmates...well, it was kind of her thing. 

Its called Neverwinter. A thick forest of pine. If you go east along the coast you'll come to plains to your right. It's a long stretch but when you get through them you'll see the forest. After her explanation, she shakes her head and chuckles. Icy eyes take a look at the seal next to her and back up to him. You know after fueling up, I planned on taking what I could carry back home with me. Your welcome to accompany me?
60 Posts
Ooc — markab
Away
furiously manufactures an excuse here because otherwise my timeline will collapse in on itself

she is as friendly a foreigner as yunxu could have hoped to encounter. helping him hunt, offering information for free, offering to lead him to his sister. so of course her offer of further information and travel is met with a blank stare on his part as suspicion rears its head.

a part of yunxu feels bad for turning down her offer, that it might even be impolite; the larger part brushes it away.

he’s aware enough, though, not to say that. the young shark clears his throat; a prolonged moment passes before, scrambling for some deflection, he comes up with a decent lie. “thank you. but i waiting here for…” he struggles a moment, failing to come up with the precise word in english, “my sisters and brother. they come from south too. i take them to neverwinter then.”

the fact that this lie will need to be addressed later on sails right over yunxu’s head; he dips his muzzle towards the seal in invitation and no small hope that the excuse will fly. “we should eat first. i leave plenty for neverwinter.”

sequoia coast
english | mandarin
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Yeah I'd figure he would need a reason given your newer threads. Oop.

Friendly, it was true. Though it was not as though she had helped him empty handed pawed. After all, as she had mentioned, it would have been less likely for her to have successfully caught a meal had it not been for the odd tongued sea farer. Not to mention, a few other reasons...

Vallkyrie had no intention of withholding information of a wolf seeking out family. Their relationship between eachother was not her business but could only hope Yunxu had good standing with Hua. 

Vallkyrie, after having lost contact with three women who were close to her as friends, Vallkyrie had fallen a bit depressed and this man here might end up being a start of a new chapter. Perhaps. 

Either way...

I do hope to see you there then, after... She could understand why he would be reluctant to leave the coast if other siblings would be meeting him here. A lie she was blissfully unaware of. 

Shifting and facing the seal they had taken down, she grumbles out a wordless invite to begin as she herself takes to devouring their kill. When finished, rounded belly protesting almost with how much she had eaten for such a slight build, she stretched out happily over the sands. Icy eyes overlook the raging tides, the skies as dark as ever, the rain having lessened but never the less consistent. Dangerous with so many storms at all once, but no less beautiful... She nearly mumbled to herself.
60 Posts
Ooc — markab
Away
yunxu nods, feeling the tension flood out of him at her easy acceptance of the excuse. "yes. maybe we hunt together again."

platitudes he is good with, but he wouldn't mind. if huā is living in a forest with these people, it is a necessity to hunt with them the same. vallkyrie is capable, and if she is indeed at neverwinter with his sister, there is no need for him to be uneasy.

she bends to the seal. yunxu waits until she's started eating before he follows – there is no hierarchy here, but it still feels more comfortable, and allows him to keep his eye out.

he's never completely unaware of her presence, even as they eat. neither of them talk, but it still tugs persistently at the back of his mind, no matter that this level of suspicion is beginning to seem ridiculous. he eats slower than she does, too, careful and precise bites, and he isn't quite full when she finishes and sprawls out over the sand but abandons the rest of the carcass anyways, following her gaze out to sea.

ready as he was to leave, the question lingered in his mind. and she'd proven willing to answer them so far. "our family live only by the water. i surprised to hear huāzhēn leave coastline, even in the storms." yunxu takes a breath of seasalt air. "do you know if she have any others with her? she have two sisters, meizhen and yingyue." if she'd made it here, there was no reason the others couldn't as well.
sequoia coast
english | mandarin
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Always up for a hunt myself. She had spoken with a grin before digging into their kill. 

He is careful, cautious, she realizes and he finishes eating when she is done even though he had started after she had began. Was it a level of respect, to only begin after she had and stop when she does so? Or is it simply to keep good eye on her? Either way, Vallkyrie let's the thought cross her mind but does not think far into it. 

She does however, swivel her large black ears into his direction as he speaks about his coastal family. Vallkyrie could only guess that Hua had left her island with good reasoning that far outweighed her own desires. Sure, the seafairing maiden could have been fine all her own, though surely she had pack mares not as adapted to sea life, not as skilled a swimmer. For instance, her children and the other's children in her ranks. Of course, Kyr had no intention of bursting any bubbles. She would let Yunxu find out himself about his little nieces and nephews. 

He mentions others then, and Ying. She forces herself to keep a smile but she couldnt help but feel a sadness at the reminder of her. Yes, Ying, she was around, not sure now. Unwilling to go into detail about how the woman had disappeared on them only to return some time later of no memories of the family and friends, like herself, whom she had left behind. And a woman named Ruo? I think she is related. Although her conversation with Aiolos had been vague so she was not quite certain.
60 Posts
Ooc — markab
Away
last post for me! thank you for the thread <3

ying – that would be yingyue. she might not have been around neverwinter, but the way vallkyrie spoke of her suggested she was at least alive. perhaps she had returned to the sea while the rest of them stayed. if both of them were there...she'd said nothing about meizhen, but surely one of them would know something about her, even if it was unfortunate news.

ruo he did not recognize, though the name was unmistakably chinese. a cousin, perhaps? that was also something they could explain when he arrived.

with another bow – a far more genuine one, this time – yunxu offered vallkyrie a quick smile before he moved away. "thank you. i go find family, then i come call at borders. maybe i see you there."

sequoia coast
english | mandarin
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Yw! Now onto the next...

With the last bit of information Kyr had to offer, Yunxu have his thanks and lifted up and away. Ears perked, the huntress watched as he bowed and made his farewell for the time. I'll see you then. She spoke with a smile and watched him a moment as he made way down the coast. Vallkyrie knew soon she too would have to make way, especially with these storms and even more so with a kill to return home.