Neverwinter Forest We’re gonna have a party
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Private 
Backdated like a week. After Miriam gets back and before Simmik does. Whenever you're good to post!

So things were maybe not quite as bad now. A bit of a reprieve with Miriam being safe and sound. With some stress lifted, he was feeling a bit more like himself, he went to find @Huā. With everything that had gone on, they hadn't exactly gotten time to catch up like he'd wanted, so might as well make it now before something else came crashing down? Seemed a good enough time as any.

He knew where she'd denned at night, but he wasn't sure if she'd be there now. At the very least he could swing by, then make a detour to a cache and go outwards from there. She should be healed up by now probably too? Maybe? He wasn't sure. It wasn't like Mal was the medic around here -- that was definitely not his jam. But whatever, put on a smile, go hunt her down one way or another.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
WOO! :D gonna assume she already told him about ruvik bts 

Huā had already recovered from her very light wounds from the other day, and after her return to the forest she felt she was adjusting better to the territory. It was big; certainly larger than the island, but in a way it felt small sometimes because so much of the place looked about the same. Yet as dull as she found the forest, the people were nice, and thankfully she had encountered her competitors very little. 

That afternoon when Mal came across her little den where she was laying comfortably, she scented him, popping her dark little head out of the entrance. Mal? She called, a friendly smile painting across her maw as she began to crawl out into the open.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He didn't have a chance to call out before he spotted movement, his grin broadening. Hey Hua. How are you doing? Want to go get something to eat? Or go for a walk? Or something? His grin got a bit more lopsided and bemused, I mean, I'm finally free for a bit, I thought we would have had a lot more time to just hang out by now. That had been one of the benefits of them staying here, right? Well, he certainly thought so at least. In a way, he wanted to make up for lost time if such a thing were possible.

He still really wished that Cupid hadn't run off. What if he'd been able to tell Hua she could have stayed at his place? That would have been really nice. He could have spent more time with their children too. Ugh. Why did things have to end up complicated? Whatever. Live in the moment, quality time with Hua, yesyes?
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Lopsided grin was charming, she thought, as she waited till his words finished tumbling out before she spoke up, slightly hesitant. I'm happy. Um... we can go walk? She suggested, much more interested in the quality time of talking than a hunt. Perhaps that could come later, but she still felt they were not as close as she liked to pretend they were, and likely it was better to converse. She just hoped Mal wouldn't mind. 

I was thinking we will have more time, too.. But there are so many things, always. Huā sighed vaguely with a shake of her head, but not wishing to sour the mood any further, she coughed, awkwardly wishing to switch the topic. Ah, Mal, how are you? Yeah, she wasn't the best at starting a good conversation, but it was worth a try.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Oh good, a walk would probably be less of a chance of him making a fool of himself too. He signaled for her to follow along. I'm sure you've seen much of the territory by now, but there might be a few places that might be good to go on by. He hoped he could find a place that would impress. And so, they started off with him leading along.

Yeah. There was always something, But now is good, he affirmed with a smile. His good humor continued, even though he was perhaps being a little too lighthearted about the subject matter, though it was pretty much the only way he got through it. Yeah, doing good -- one less missing person who returned all well is a load off my shoulders. So enjoying the moment. And just glad to be here with you. To know you better. He reached out to give her a light touch of his nose to her cheek. Did he dare ask about what she said at the confrontation with Donovan? He was curious, but at the same time didn't want to go step on a sensitive subject matter or anything like that. I'd share about myself but I'm not sure where I'd begin. Or what you'd find interesting. A grin again. Or what might not make him sound foolish.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Huā quietly let him take the lead, a shy smile touching her face as they walked. He started talking about the return of one of those missing individuals- and she nodded, unknowing of all the misfortunes to come in the following days. Asmoses, Cupid, Hide, Minori, Orochi- a good thing she was appreciating this moment, when all things were momentarily well before they would inevitably spiral downwards again. 

But the way his words shifted made the conversation feel a touch more personal than just the matters of their packs, and she gulped slightly. She didn't refuse his touch, but was quiet all the while as he spoke, feeling rather awkward. Was she supposed to ask after his life story? Huā didn't want to intrude, but ultimately she gathered some confidence to ask- he didn't exactly seem uneager to share, and of course she wanted to know him better. Um... begin where-ever you feel right! Anything will be interesting. She offered optimistically with a little wag of her tail, returning a little playful nudge of her own snout to Mal.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
It was sort of like how they talked when they first met. But with more weight this time if anything -- clearheaded, he felt like it meant more now than before. Easier to mess up, harder to pick the right way. He wasn't really good at this, was he? Oh this sort of thing is always an adventure. He was being a bit of a goof mostly because that was the thing he could figure out to do -- it'd hide his awkwardness just a little, I suppose it's worth mentioning that after a point, I pretty much raised myself? The place I grew up was supposed to be a sanctuary of sorts -- for some it might have been, but it pretty well fell apart at the edges from my point of view. 

Where was he going with this? Oh. Yeah. I built this pack for my sisters. They've been gone, oh.. I don't even know how long any more. Over a year. Well before I got the pack really going. But it's important that I leave a place for them. Just in case. For whatever family I have, really -- blood or not. And do stuff better than those of the past did, do stuff right. Do stuff different if it makes sense. A brief pause, Make everyone happy. But especially those that matter. A smirk to her. Gee who might one of those people be? He did have a list -- maybe a couple lists actually, each for different reasons and certain ones were on multiples.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
800 <3

Huā listened as Mal began to tell his story, raised by no adult in particular and rather on his own. Perhaps, she wondered to herself, that was why he maintained such a childlike nature, in a good way of course- humorous, light-hearted. She hadn't really seen his angry side yet, but hey, it was all about perspective. Most packs were made as a sanctuary of some kind- Huā knew she viewed Yuèlóng that way- and nagging insecurity made her wonder if she was not raising her children enough. She was trying to be looser with her policies- she knew the people here allowed their children personal freedom- though her background made her want to choose every aspect of their hyper-controlled lives. She didn't want to be like that, but Huā was still trying to find the balance. 

He went on to tell the empress why he'd built Neverwinter. For his sisters. Where were they? Long gone, and her eyes widened, though she supposed her story was similar at that part. She built Yuèlóng for Mei, Ying, herself and her cousins. Now her sisters were gone, and few relatives remained. Mal told her he made the pack for family, blood or not- for the people that mattered. Of course Huā was not part of Neverwinter, and yet she wondered how Mal defined who mattered. Was it all of his packmates? Was it... 

She was quiet and thoughtful for a long moment, nodding slightly as an acknowledgement that she heard everything he spoke of. Neverwinter is all your family, then? Are... are we- you, and, um, me- family, too?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Congrats! :D I'm at 1111 here, haha.

Yeah, Mal was definitely the cool dad that got to show up and have fun. But even if he'd only had one litter of pups instead of several that he was attempting to split his time between, it likely would have been the same. He wanted people to be happy.

For a brief moment he wondered if he'd said too much or too little as they walked along. She was fairly quiet about it, and he just wasn't sure if that was good or bad at this point. However, didn't seem like it was too bad in the end, as Hua went on to ask him two things, though it was the way that she struggled with the second was what caught his attention. To him it was a silly question. Of course! he said with a smile, reaching over then to nuzzle her cheek. It's why I'm glad you're able to be here for now. We can enjoy it.

Or at least, that was how he thought of it. He couldn't ask her to just leave her pack and move in with him here full time, just as he'd be unwilling to leave what he'd built. Distance was an issue, but hey, of all the ones out there, it was one that could be worked around. It didn't make things impossible.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
woo! cheers for fun numbers

The way he answered so easily, so immediately, caused Huā to visibly beam again, a natural little smile gracing her face as her gaze lightened. She was still learning to get used to the touch- Mal was very free with those sort of little physical affections- but they were almost always a pleasant surprise. She did not pull away. He told her he was glad she was here- for now- which caused her to feel slightly saddened again, though she wasn't going to let that show on her face. She certainly didn't want to sacrifice Yuèlóng. Less of her blood family was there than there was for Mal in Neverwinter, but each of the members held a great value to her all the same, and she knew how... irresponsible it would be to abandon them for a man, and especially a man who had not committed himself to her in any way, shape, or form. On the other paw, as much as she'd love to see him in Yuèlóng, the siren didn't expect him to leave. Here, he had plenty of children to look after- the women, Huā couldn't give much of a damn, but she'd never ask him to give up his responsibilities as a parent to the other kids. It wouldn't be fair. 

Still, she wished her children had the opportunity to know him as well as his other kids knew him. Huā supposed she had already ruined the earliest stage, by pretending there had never been another parent, though at that time, she hadn't known him well. Hadn't known if he would be angry to learn he had a hunch of bastard children. As for after he relieved those worries... that was all on her, she knew. She wasn't really sure how to bring these things up out of nowhere, and so she was content to never mention them. But now, like him, she just wished things were easier. And that jealous part of her thought more fiercely than anything, about all the women he would be seeing when she was away on the island. Of course he was a powerful man, a leader, and Huā had always thought she might be one wife among many to some nobleman- but she hadn't been raised with preparation for the envy. Wouldn't it be easiest to turn this into playful joking again, rather than having a serious thorough conversation? It was often said that the right choice was always the most difficult- but Huā liked the easy route. Mm, but when I go back, you have to visit~ You came the first time. I came now. Next it's your turn again, right? She teased in a singsong note, though the invitation extended would always be a genuine one. She wanted him to know his children better, but she couldn't always haul them here.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Mal didn't really have that same baggage -- like at all. Grow up with no rules and as long as everything seems fine, then it is. And so, Mal had not a clue that any of it might be bothering her. Hua seemed happy enough, so stuff was fine, he supposed. 

Well at least she wasn't sick of him! He grinned back at her, Mhm, I do think that can be arranged... was his reply. Though given things that were to happen, it might not be an immediate thing. But he didn't know that. Cupid had to go and throw a wrench in the works, but hey, they could discuss that next thread. He leaned over conspiratorially, Planning any fun things for when I show? Or will it all be a surprise? Unsurprisingly it was also in jest -- he didn't expect her to throw a party or anything, but it sounded good. And he wouldn't be surprised if there was something she maybe would have in mind that'd make it more than a day trip.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
He told her that he could show! The siamese grinned playfully, feeling upbeat again, and temporarily forgetting the weight of... everything. He leaned closer to her, asking if she had any plans- but frankly, she hadn't thought about it much. There was a lot of fun stuff to do on the island in her opinion, but did Mal even like the beach? She wasn't sure if he adored nature in the way she did- he might not get the same kick out of exploring the labyrinths or playing in the sea. Truthfully though, the only way to know was to ask, and so she shrugged, though kept that same smile. 

I have not plan yet, but maybe I can arrange something. Huā laughed, What do you want? Besides playing with the kids, of course. A celebration? Or relaxing? Whole pack, or just us? Suddenly she had taken on the role of party-planner- or date-planner, depending on what Mal preferred. Unless you just want surprise. She giggled again with a wave of her tail- though secretly, that option would be a tad troublesome for her, because she'd definitely end up nervous about whether he would like anything she planned. She didn't want to force him into a decision, though, and so canted her ears forward expectantly.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
So far things sounded pretty great. Time with Hua, time with the kids. That was honestly enough for Mal, he was easy to please. When distance and responsibility kept getting in the way, it kind of had squashed some of the fun things in life, I'd be fine just spending time with you and the kids. Just us all together, unless there's some particular reason for more fuss. Heck, hopefully less fuss. Have things nice and quiet and boring to make up for everything that's gone on. A cheeky smile there. 

Unless you're saying I should have gone and done a whole party for you guys when you arrived, in which case I totally messed up I guess. You'll have to forgive me if so. He was sort of joking. Like top level he seemed like he was joking but beneath he was actually now silently worried that he'd kind of messed up and should have thrown a party when Yuelong showed up. He'd never been to a party though -- it was just some kind of abstract concept -- because he'd avoided all the festivals Elysium had thrown quite pointedly.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Less fuss, that sounded good to her, too. Huā was flexible with these kind of things, and in the past she'd loved a good festival, but easier things were perfect, because planning was minimal. They didn't need lots of food and grand activities to be happy, did they? Family was enough, enough to make a good time out of the simple things in life. He was right, she thought as she nodded to him but almost to herself too- they had enough drama and the whole shabang. 

When he joked about a party, she laughed too. There were times and places for celebrations, but them being forced off of the island by rising waters wasn't exactly one of them. Sure, staying over was fun, but ultimately they were here purely because they needed to be for their own safety. Not just to hang out. Silly Mal, of course not. She teased, nudging his cheek slightly with her snout. She was quiet for a moment, though her happy aura was maintained, and yet... Do you think we always will be like this? Just visiting? It was the elephant in the room that they awkwardly avoided. They were both pack leaders, and yet they had children together, and perhaps their futures could be intertwined too... if things worked out that way. But it was not as simple as one just abandoning what they'd built and going to live with the other. She wouldn't expect that from him, and she'd likely be insulted if he expected such from her. So now what? Were they even close enough for it to be worth it? Despite the little affections, there was nothing official between them- and even if that was just fine for Mal, Huā had grown up in a place where everything had to be official. There was too much risk in making big decisions on something unofficial. And Huā had always been some degree of reckless, but she couldn't let go of it all, not even for a chance at life with him. So was he satisfied with this- visitation periods like a divorced couple? It hadn't messed up so far, but it certainly wasn't ideal. If only things were easier.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
See, this was nice. He grinned broadly at her laugh, and leaned into her touch a little. If it could just keep going on this way, Mal would be quite happy with the day in general, and he was already pondering some sort of reply. But then she went and asked a question he wasn't at all sure about. An ear tilted back, and his expression did mute a little, I.. I don't know? We both built packs and that's where our families are... Just... I don't know. But I don't know a lot of stuff. There was no easy solution, I mean.. If I asked you to stay that wouldn't be fair. Even if it might be nice to daydream about. Maybe Aibreann would be happy with it too -- she'd been weird since Hua had shown up. It wasn't like he was going to just leave her and the kids (or Miriam, or Cupid...) so he didn't really get it.

At least things aren't impossible. Is there something better I can do? Because he did want to make her happy somehow. He wanted to make everyone happy. He looked over at her, hesitant but wanting to find a solution so things could be, well, happy.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
She wanted to talk about these things, of course she did, but immediately she felt guilty for bringing it up once she saw his facial expression shift. She'd soured the mood, hadn't she? Mal didn't know about any of it, but unfortunately, neither did Huā. They were good leaders sometimes, but they weren't exactly hard problem solvers- and this problem didn't seem like a simple solve anyway. If I asked you to stay that wouldn't be fair. She nodded in a humble fashion, not wishing to seem too demanding.

He asked if there was something better he could do- and for a moment, her gaze flit away in thought, but ultimately she didn't have any complaints. Well- scratch that. She had a secret few about all the women that he got and she didn't, but that was far from relevant to the child raising situation. Finally she looked backed to Mal, dark ears pinning awkwardly to her skull, No, it is okay. A shake of her head. You are doing just fine. She affirmed with a little smile to him. Huā was thoughtful for a moment, and then the trace of a frown danced across her lips. Is there something I should do better? I know I mess up at first, when I did not tell you quickly about them. But now... I want to be better. They... the kids... they are yours too...
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
But Mal had pretty much thought he was the one ruining things. He was sort of torn, wanting to move up to her side so he could somehow prove through his closeness that Mal was there for them all. He would do whatever he could -- it was always what he offered, but at times it didn't feel like enough. The other side of the coin was he didn't want to somehow make it feel like he was being too.. needy maybe? He wasn't sure that was quite right.

When she frowned, he leaned over to lick her muzzle. Let me know what I can do? He was a little sheepish (and being a bit cheeky, repeating himself) by that suggestion, but explained, I don't want to step on your toes, and I want to be there, especially if there's anything really important. I dunno what that might be -- I know you said some stuff about how your family was different than mine. So, I might not be able to take them on every early hunt, but if there's something you think I should definitely be there for, I want to be there. And I'll definitely be there for them way more often now. Well. Assuming things didn't go bonkers as it tended to do.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Joining 
She appreciated his physical affection, but his words even moreso. The problem was that she didn't know the solutions- he could offer his help over and over, but she wasn't even sure how to try to direct him, where to begin, it was all a mystery. As for stepping on her toes- she couldn't imagine it. They were already distant enough, thus every time he managed to visit could only be celebrated (or so she believed now). She wouldn't dare shoo him away... and it wasn't like she minded his company. 

All she could offer him was a small smile, brows tilted upward meekly. They'd already hit talking and speaking milestones, and she figured they'd be hunting soon- but who knew when else they might do signifigant things that he ought to be there for? There was no predicting it- he wouldn't be able to show up for their first kill right on time or anything like that. All she could ask was that he might visit when the children were hurting. 

Thank you, Mal. I want them to have the chance to know you as 'father' too. A clearing of her throat, I want to keep them safe, but they are children, and I am sure they will get into trouble. If they ever need you there for them, or, um, you see chance to keep them safe- please. She probably didn't need to explain that at all. But clear communication was best, and a lack of communication- on her end- was what had prevented him from being able to present himself as their dad in the first place. Now she knew it was better to make things clear than let them go unspoken. 

But the differences in their parenting styles hadn't been assessed either, and that was important too. What type of values... um... how do you want to teach your children, or how you want them to be like?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
He would always protect them if he was able. There was no question there, hence his prompt response, Of course. But he still felt like he was dancing around a few other things he didn't know how to word, explain, or even identify. But that was other stuff between them, and they were talking mostly about their children and he wasn't sure he wanted to swing that conversation away yet.

I don't know how to best describe it.. But like the same as my pack -- happy, good people who like who they are. I think that covers most things, he said with a bit of a laugh to it, and I'd rather not pick on the details. It's not like I have some great big ol' history to share. Or traditions or whatever. I just want them to have the love and opportunity I didn't get. Which to her might be a small thing, but it was something so very lacking for him in the past, and still colored his thoughts now.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Mal's description of what he wanted his children to be like was a tad vague for Huā. Of course she agreed with what he said about their happiness and love, and had she been raised in a different environment, it might've been enough. She wanted them to be clean and well-mannered, she wanted them married at an appropriate age (nevermind the fact that she was past that age herself, and still alone-), and she'd love if they would pursue a trade that made them valuable wherever they went. She would always value them of course, but the world was not necessarily so kind. But hearing the way he spoke... without any high standards for his children. It was nice, in a way, though that traditional part of her still demanded that it wasn't enough. Huā felt conflicted ultimately, a battle of what she'd been raised to believe, versus what she herself believed in. Would Huā quietly be pushing them in the directions she wanted? Probably. For now she didn't speak up on any of this, opting to smile and nod and mask whatever internal turmoil she felt. 

To hear Mal lacked love in his childhood made her heart sore. Huā had had love, when she was with her parents, and then afterwards with her uncle and aunt. The first time she'd felt a sickening lack of that was when she was captured, and even then she and her sisters had held eachother close each day and night whenever they could. Huā never wanted that for her children either- it was a good thing, then, that she loved them more than anyone else in the world- and she hoped Mal did too, even if he hadn't known about their existence until after her birth. 

Thinking on all of this, the words about self-love and happiness, a particular concern came to mind. She knew so little about kids she still felt, and thus was inclined to ask. Um, well. Luli, she is so quiet and nervous. Is it okay? I do not want her to be scared of world... sometimes she is happy, but also I worry if she is happy enough...
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Yeah, Mal wasn't too demanding, for good or for bad. He'd rather have a happy family of mediocre skill than one of mediocre happiness and many skills or something. And it wasn't like any of the relationship stuff really came into play -- again, he hadn't really seen any. 

It wasn't like Mal was super experienced either. But he'd met a lot of people, and he had a few ideas of how people reacted, so after giving it some thought... I've met a few people who are definitely kinda shy and quiet. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. But maybe part of like.. lessening that is figuring out where it's coming from? Is it needing familiar people or surroundings? Knowing she can do some specific thing? Or at least stuff like that helps a little I think. He thought back, I mean, there was a boy who was here for a while -- he'd be like a year old now, and I taught him some hunting stuff. He didn't seem as nervous about things when he was learning. Or at least, that's how his memory saw it. He was curious how that sounded to her.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
She is definitely more... less scared, when with just us, her family. Unfortunately in that sense Huā meant herself and Luli's siblings- Mal was still new to the occasion, and someone Luli still needed to bond with. Huā thought of the day she'd introduced her children to the pack- how the koi girl had wet herself with fear of all the eyes. As for teaching her things, well... I guess I should ask what she want to learn... Huā mused. She hadn't really assessed their interests yet beyond the obvious characteristics of their personality (such as how Haoming was a born fighter.) But it was mostly because up to this point she'd been more concerned with raising and protecting them than pushing them into a trade just yet. But perhaps if Luli could hone a talent she might gain some confidence in herself too.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
[ooc]As mentioned, maybe we just wanna wrap up in the next couple posts?[/q]

Yeah, that sounded kind of right. Strangers were just weird in general though, he couldn't blame her for being cautious. I mean some stuff everyone has to learn. Other stuff is just for fun, so there's gotta be something even if she goes with 'I dunno.' I think it's the whole not having to rely on everyone else to do stuff thing? Just a guess though. It at least kind of made sense. Mal certainly felt better once he learned how to hunt so he could metaphorically flip Elysium the bird and scram.

A tip of his head, Or even just go all out fun. Then add a mischievous smirk, Like if I tagged you, wouldn't you chase me? Easy game from puphood. Not exactly one he'd gotten to play a ton aside from with his own kids. He was basically daring her to play, with enough plausible deniability to just keep talking if not. Either way he'd get to spend time with her, and that was kind of his whole goal here.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
yup! feel free to post once more or archive as is<3

Mal's words made perfect sense, and Huā nodded agreeably. She'd been trying her best to at least teach them the stuff everyone needed- be careful of strangers, be polite- though those weren't exactly skills. That was the point of the mentorship system at least- to make sure each kid learned to defend themselves- though Huā had not noticed much training lately, and thought she ought to check in with her mercenaries. 

And then when he spoke of fun, the siren laughed aloud. They were still youthful at heart, despite the packs and families they had to take care of- Oh, of course~ but what if I tag you? She purred, butting him with her snout before scampering a few paces ahead, turning to glance back at him and hope he'd give in to the game.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
His grin widened. This was what he wanted. He replied in a similar tone, Then I guess I'll just have to chase you instead. A couple of swaggering steps in her direction then he took off after her, and the pair playfully darted off into the trees.