Momma knows best
14 Posts
Ooc — Impala
@Speedy 

It was early in the morning, the rain was still falling outside (despite his best efforts to frighten it away) and he was just beginning to wake. Pressed against his mother for the warmth she so regularly offered he found himself stirring and drifting from her. Maila still seemed to sleep on. Perhaps she would also wake soon. Dad seemed to have already set off for the morning. Though, he supposed he could return soon. 

Mohe didn't want to stay inside, however, he was ready to sieze the day. He approached his mother's face and began to prod her cheek with his paw, "Mom...Mom!" His tagged behind him with excitement. He wanted to go somewhere today. Even though the rain still trickled down he supposed it didn't bother him so much anymore. Afterall, they had become quite accustomed to it.
Interested in threading with me?
check out my OOC account for more information

IMPALA
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
very sorry for the wait!

Being a mother and Kaistleoki's only healer meant Speedy's days were busy and time moved far too quickly for her liking. Mornings spent with her babies were the only time when everything seemed to slow down. So when she felt her son's paw against her cheek, followed by his excited calling of her name, she wasn't at all upset to have been woken up. Her eyes opened and a yawn parted her lips, quickly replaced by a smile. Good morning, she said softly, offering a gentle lick to his cheek. 

Malila was still fast asleep against her. She knew Mohe wanted to go explore, and she was happy to take him, regardless of the weather, but she didn't want her daughter waking up alone. As if their minds were connected, @Emrik padded into the den then, a pair of rabbits clasped between his teeth. He dropped them down in front of her, and she nuzzled his cheek before carefully getting up from the ground, careful not to jostle the still sleeping Malila. Her mate took her place, snuggling around their daughter, and Speedy turned to Mohe with a smile. Okay, sweetie, let's go, she whispered before picking up one of the rabbits and trotting from the den. They could eat breakfast under the group of trees just outside. She settled under the cover they offered and waited for her son to join her.
14 Posts
Ooc — Impala
His mother was gentle and Mohe had fallen into the obvious roll of momma's boy. He loved his father a great deal as well, but when it came to choosing who needed to tend to his needs Speedy was the elected. This morning would be no different. 

Her eyes fluttered open and a gentle smile overtook her face. A kiss on his face and he would offer one up before bowing down playfully. He looked outside longingly--so ready to go. Malila was still sound asleep (as seemed usual for her) and Mohe was happy to see Emrik arive. His father had brought food for them and took charge of watching over Malila so he and mom could enjoy their day. 

She beckoned his attention and the brown pup trotted out after her. She moved much fast than the small babe. Long legs [comparitively] sending her across the earth faster than he thought possible for himself. Unaware that he would in fact grow proper and fast. 

He sat in front of the rabbit she had placed down for him and marveled at the size. He supposed he was closer to the size of the food he was eating than he was the ones that had put him on this earth. 

weird. 

"What we doing today?" He would tend to the rabbit and then find himself playing with a dandelion or odd weed that grew beneath the tree and then revert back to the rabbit. Over and over again.
Interested in threading with me?
check out my OOC account for more information

IMPALA
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
As Speedy and Mohe exited the den, her father taking his place to watch over her, Malila was just being pulled out of her sleep. It could have been the switch from one parent to the other, or the absence of her brothers close by scent. But more than likely, it was the tantalizing order of rabbit that still lingered, that roused her.

Blinking her eyes open blearily, Malila popped her head up just in time to see the retreating forms of her mom and brother. She stayed put a moment longer to bask in the affections of Emrik, batting at his ears with her paws...planting soft kisses on his cheek. "C'mon outside with me." She chirped brightly, rolling to her feet without waiting for an answer, sure he would follow.

"I'm late again...sorry." She said with a sheepish smile, but her tail was going a mile a minute. Her eyes fluttered in delight as she felt the gentle blades of grass tickle her belly. The soil still smelled rich, but the scattered wildflowers not as potent. Sneaking up beside Mohe, instantly drawn to the rabbit. The ears in particular, got her attention, biting at them.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Mohe didn't have much interest in the rabbit it seemed, which only made her smile at him as he moved on to things that were more interesting to him. Watchful eye still following her son as he moved around her, she took a bite of their breakfast, chewing and swallowing as he trotted back up to her. He wanted to know where they were going. A smile curved her lips again before she opened her mouth to answer him. But before she could say anything, Malila was there, apologizing for being late. Speedy chuckled. There's no need to apologize, she softly answered as she reached over to nuzzle her daughter. 

She turned back to Mohe. Would you guys like to learn about plants? she asked, gaze moving between son and daughter. Or maybe about hunting? She was happy to teach them whatever they wanted to know. We could even explore the territory some and learn more about it. She looked to the children expectantly, waiting to see what seemed most interesting to them.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Skipping Mohe. Let me know if this is not okay!

Digging into the rabbit with several greedy bites, she quickly filled her belly. Upturned bi-colored eyes were focused on the loving image of her mother, giggling at the ticklish but gentle touch to her head. With Mohe still eating and Malila full, she backed away, licking her muzzle clean.

The proposal Speedy offered snatched her attention instantly, causing her head to jerk upright, eyes lighting up. Ohh this one was a no brainer in her books. "Plants, plants! Pleeaase!" She reared up, balancing on her hind legs cutely, doing a bouncy little dance round to her mom's side. Hunting could wait another day. Her eagerness, which would eventually come full on into a healthy love of nature, was clear even at this age, which of her parents she was destined to take after the most.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
i'm going to slightly pp @Mohe for right now in case impala wants to join in later

Speedy's eyes lit up with with happiness to see how excited her daughter was to know more about plants. Malila hopped up and down around her, practically unable to contain herself. Speedy found herself laughing and nuzzling her daughter. All right, she said, still chuckling. Plants it is.

She stood and began to walk, turning back to the children. Follow me. Once they were with her, she moved again, tail swaying contently behind her. The day was nice and warm, and there would be plenty of plants to show them

She stopped walking when they came to a very tall tree. It's branches splayed out and it's long, green leaves swayed gently in the breeze, some of them long enough to tickle her back as they moved. This is a willow tree, she explained. I use the bark from it to help ease the pain of others, the healer continued. It's an important tree to know. She looked down, her gaze moving from Malila to Mohe as she waited for any questions they might have.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Excited that her mother had agreed to show and teach them about plants, her eyes lit up. This was gonna be so much fun. Her eagerness to learn was unmistakable. Tail wagging happily at her heels, Malila followed after Speedy, opting to close her eyes briefly while she basked in the day’s warmth. Before she could bump head first into her mom's haunch, she snapped her eyes open again. After all, she didn't want to miss a thing on this educational field day!

When they stopped at last, the sight of the tree before them made her eyes go wide with awe. Up she gazed at the sprawling branches, the gently fluttering curtains of leaves. Gingerly, she reared up to try and paw at them, so tantalizingly out of reach. Speedy referred to it as a Willow tree, and she mentioned the bark was especially useful. Paying close attention, Malila crept forward to sniff at the bark, testing its texture. "How do you get it? It won't harm the tree, will it?" She asked, unaware that many trees were hardy and shed their bark in layers.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Speedy smiled down at her daughter as she sniffed the part of the tree she could reach. Those are good questions, sweetie, she praised. I'll show you how I get it. Speedy then lifted up on her rear legs, placing her front paws against the trunk of tree. The she gently worked a piece of bark away from the tree with her teeth. When she had detached a small slab, she lowered herself back down and placed the specimen in front of her daughter's little paws. It does not hurt the tree, she assure Malila. She loved how sensitive she was to things like that; it would make her a good healer when she was older, and Speedy was excited to help her learn and grow into that roll if that was what she wished to do. The bark is in many layers, so there is more than I could ever pull off to use. Which was a good thing since she used this stuff quite a lot. It was one of her go to remedies for pain. 

Do you want to try and pull some bark off? she asked. She would happily guide her through it.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
She nodded, feeling a small wave of relief. "Oh good. I wouldn't want to see such a nice tree damaged." She commented with a small smile. Malila truly was the caring type. She hated to see anything living suffer, be it plant or animal. With great detail she had watched how her mother so carefully stripped the bark away, trying to note the exact thickness of the layer she had removed. When offered to try it for herself, her dual toned eyes lit up. "Yeah of course!" She chirped. Scampering up beside her tawny mom, Malila copied her. She stood up to place her front paws against the trunk, inching her muzzle forward. Delicately, with her small teeth, she grasped onto a loose layer of bark. Side eyeing Speedy as if asking she was executing the technique properly, she pulled.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Neither would I, Speedy agreed. We should always try to preserve the plants we use as best we can. If we destroy them, then we cannot use them again. It was a lesson her daughter already seemed to understand. 

She watched Malila copy the movements she had just made, a loving smile spreading across her face. When her daughter looked to her for reassurance, the healer nodded. You're doing well, just pull back slowly and the bark will come off, she explained gently. Her smile grew and she watched closely to make sure Malila didn't need help.
175 Posts
Ooc — Mai
Encouraged, Malila, the aspiring herbalist followed her mother's instructions. She turned, resuming the task of gently peeling the bark away from the tree until it came free in one piece. The way in which she did even this, with such thoughtfulness and consideration, showed that Malila had already developed a strong respect for all living things.

With the layer of bark curled gently at her paws, she looked up to Speedy once again. "Okay, now what?" She asked brightly, her tail tip never ceasing its excited wiggling. She pawed the bark, flipping it over from its rough side, to the smoother side that had been in contact with the tree. Examining....feeling the different surfaces. "How do we prepare it for using? It's...kind of stiff like it is now, so I don't think it would work well, would it?"