Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
All Welcome 
tags are for reference - you are welcome to join ofc! but this is aw as well <3

When @Wraen had first told Maia that @Arcturus was coming, she hadn't thought much of it.  She'd not gotten the opportunitity to really meet him, but since her big sister was excited about it, she was sure it would be a good time.  And it was!  Wraen was slow to travel, but that suited Maia's pace fine, and while she kept a subtle eye out to make sure she wasn't over-extending herself, she was glad too that they'd stopped here.  The trees gave respite from the heavy rains and the place was one her parents had told many stories about. It was cool to see it up close.

But she found herself, when they did stop, needing moments away to kinda... be.  It wasn't like the other two did anything to make it so, but Maia still couldn't help but feel a bit like a third wheel at the initial onset of their journey.  Part of it was the somber tone she'd left on, and the way her goodbyes had gone.  Another was, no matter how much she wanted it, she hadn't quite gotten to the 'happy to be traveling again' phase.  It was stupid and she didn't want her mood to affect theirs, especially since she hadn't had to stop traveling the way Wraen had.

It didn't feel good wishing that Arcturus hadn't come with.  Unfortunately, Maia wasn't the type to analyze why she might feel that way.  Instead she just tried to swallow it and move on.  The outcome of that was slightly over-cheerful presence when she was there and frequent escapes where she wasn't.

Right now she was on a mission of her own, trying to find some of the places that her dad had spoken of, back when his old pack was here.  The trees were huge and pretty much all the same, and it had been years between now and then.  There was a good chance it was all gone by now, but it was at least something to do.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Wraen was not blind, when it came to sensing that something was off with Maia. She had spent almost three years with her and believed that the two of the shared a special bond that alerted, when things were not truly okay. Due to her own ailments, it took more time for her to find a good moment to speak with the girl alone and the fact that her younger sibling was prone to exploring on her own for hours at end (at least it felt like that to Wraen) and only every second day was good enough for the ex-Sovereign to be able to track and catch up on, did not help much with it either.

But today was different and, though Wraen was yet again plagued by the sickly exhaustion, she felt glad to finally get Maia in her grasp. "Oy, wait for the old and needy!" she called out to the silver back of her sister and made slow progress towards her. "I wanted to talk with you," she added.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Maia could hope she kept things hidden well enough, but that likely would never be the case.  She was the type to put on a brave face in order to assure others she was fine, but she was also the type to crave attention.  So maybe, just maybe, part of her disappearing was a hope they would notice.  She didn't really want to talk about it (or really comprehend what "it" even was, since she hadn't gotten that far).  She just knew that she was moody as heck.

She flinched when she heard Wraen call out, since she hadn't been expecting it.  But she did smile, and heave a semi theatrical sigh at having to 'wait' for her sister.  Well, c'mon then, grandmother Wraen.  Maia answered playfully, though she did stop walking as she said it to let her catch up.  What'd you want to talk about?
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Wraen did feel like a grandmother, when she caught up with Maia, but just as her sister tended to hide her feelings, the same way Wraen did not like to show her weakness. Even if it was evident and obvious. Therefore she ingnored her racing heart and tried not to draw too much attention to the slight breathlessness. The most she allowed herself was to sit down. 

"About you - in fact," Wraen said. "I have been under the weather myself, so I hope that your somber mood is not because of me," she went on. "But the thing is - you are not yourself ever since we left Sun Mote Copse. Did something happen?"
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Oh. Maia responded, in a somewhat small voice.  Umm.  To her horror, she felt her cheeks immediately begin to burn as she thought of what had happened.  She hadn't really wanted to revisit the goodbyes yet.

When I went to say goodbye to Eljay, Weejay said he should come with.  But he freaked out and didn't want to come so much that it was awful, and it just... it isn't fair.  Every time I think maybe someone is awesome, they don't feel that way about me, and I don't think anyone ever will.  She answered.  By the end her voice was broken with slight, heaving sobs, and she had to pause for a moment before she could continue.

It's stupid, though.  She finished, sniffling.  I want to be here.  It just hurts.  She hated to admit it, but she'd gotten her hopes up.  Especially when Weejay had said what she said.  The only time I've seen you happy is when Maia comes by.

She'd kept this to herself while they were there, but now that they were gone, she didn't see much point in hiding it anymore.  She trailed off, still sniffling.  It really was stupid.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
To be honest, Wraen had forgotten all about Eljay. She had hardly spoken to him since some time in autumn or spring, first, busy with inner-politics regarding widespread famine, second, being self-centred and somber about other stuff over the ensuing summer months. From what she had seen, he was his still sulking-self and, if in the beginning, she had sincerely wished to cheer him up and help him, then over time she had grown tired of him being so wrapped in his grief and in, how the world had wronged him. Despite, what Wildfire had told her about being patient or how well Finley had seemed to be able to manage him, in the end he was too much for Wraen and she had laid her focus elsewhere. There was a pang of guilt, when she thought all this, but one year in Eljay's company had been enough to cure her of any romantic interest she even may have had. 

And now Maia... falling for the wrong people again, though compared to Charon anyone (unless they were convicted murderers) was better. All things considered, Eljay was by far the most solid creature and reliable as a tree. Except he had long-running emotional issues that Wraen did not wish to handle or be in a close vicinity of them (again - she felt guilty about this, but it was true) and she was fairly sure that Maia was not even aware of them. It also did not mean that she was not equipped to deal with them. In all honesty - Wraen realized that her mind was rambling and that she should pay attention to the work before her and set all personal opinions aside. "Well, I would not take Eljay's reaction personally," she said, closing the distance between them so that she was now sitting next to Maia. "He is a snail. Very attached to his home. And you telling him that - hey, let's go on an adventure! - probably felt as if you kindly offered to skin him alive," she smiled at the metaphor and hoped that Maia would see the funny side of this too. If not now, then eventually.

"Second thing - he is notoriously bad at skinning... sorry... reading between the lines. If you thought for a second that he would get that subtle cue of yours about you liking him, then you set yourself for a failure then and there," she went on. "He probably thinks that there is something wrong with him and that is exactly why people leave him. Again. Eljay's best past-time is blaming himself for things he cannot affect in the least. Or that are out of his control. Or that are hardly... or ever personal," Wraen explained mercilessly, her brow furrowed, while she tried to contain annoyance that was bubbling up. But for Maia's sake she pulled herself together and let it all pass with a sigh. "For all his good qualities he is still an immature child in a grown man's shoes and you should treat him as such. Say things directly, don't circle around and definitely don't attempt to be clever. Unless you wish to spend an afternoon apologizing and trying to fix, whatever Eljay read wrong in what you said. Believe me, I have been there," she said. 

Wraen wanted to add that "you are better off without him", but did not have the heart to do so. In the end she knew that she would lose Maia to someone and, if that person truly was, what she wanted in her life, her older sister would never stand in her way. Unless, of course, it was a total jerk. For all her calm and cool attitude, Wraen was not above murder in very special cases. "And third - Maia... as much as it hurts me to say it - man up. At this point in life, if you want someone in your life, go and tell them so. Just because they do not feel that way, does not change that you are still fabulous, amazing and very much loveable. Just because you are not someone's love of their lives, does not mean there is something wrong with you. Go through life with your head held high," she said. "If you are sure that it is Eljay you want, go and tell him so. If then he says - oh, sorry, darling, I dunno... - or more likely something about, how he is unworthy etc., then I will personally help to kidnap him from the group and drag him by his balls, wherever you want him to be," Wraen chuckled at the mental picture, but at that moment of boldness, she was sure she would do it. Anything to make her little sister (who was taller than her) happy. 

"You do not get anything in life by tiptoeing around it, you go straight for it, dive deep and make a grab for it. Especially, if it is Eljay. He has been tiptoed around all his life. If you do not succeed - move on," she finished her pep talk. "So, what's it going to be?"
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Maia stayed quiet, listening as Wraen listed out her thoughts.  She took it in, but as she did, her mind was racing.  She made it sound so simple, but it wasn't.

I couldn't tell him, she thought.  She hadn't even hinted it.  So of course he thought she'd just abandoned him.  He was her friend, though, and she cared too much about him and Weejay to try and assume she deserved more than that, especially after Wildfire.  She was terrified.

But Wraen was right, she did need to suck it up.  It was no one's fault but hers that she was too much of a coward to make a move, and what was done was done.  It hurt, but she couldn't change it now.  She wasn't going to go back and try again, not after the reaction leaving had caused.  All she'd do was make things worse.

He wasn't like that when we traveled before, she answered, feeling the need to defend Eljay against her sister, just for a moment.  When we were looking for Elfie.  But about that, you're right, I guess.  I can't really expect anything if I don't ask.  Maia took a shaky breath, then shrugged sheepishly.  I just... don't think it's meant to be.  It'll be fine.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get all... ugh.  It's really cool, being here, after hearing so much about it.  She couldn't help but want to change the subject, and her motives were probably obvious.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Maia, perhaps, that was one glint of, what he could be, if he tries. But I have lived with him in the same pack for almost two years and after Wildfire's death he has been a true mess," Wraen remarked, leaning her shoulder against her sister's in a reassuring manner. She kept her opinion that Eljay had not exactly tried to get better to herself. "It has always seemed to me that grief and self-loathing is a comfortable state for him, even if he does not realize it. It's a familiar shell and he is too scared to look outside it, even if it is for something better," she said.

"If you think it is worth it, take that chance, Maia," she told her, though this came with great reluctance and she looked away to hide her own pain at the very thought of losing her best friend to someone else. "But if you go into that relationship believing that you can fix Eljay or change him in any way... don't do that. You can't. His nature will clip the wings of yours. If you can accept him for who he is and live with all his faults and flaws - then why not give it a chance. You and him deserve to be loved just as anyone else in this world," Wraen finished the thought and sighed, hoping selfishly that the day, when her sister would leave, was still far off in the future.

"I don't want you to be miserable or unhappy. After all I have uprooted you again and I take full responsibility for that," she ignored the attempt to change the subject, because for her to pretend now that all was great and fine would feel to much like lying. "If you decide to turn back any time - be it now or whenever - I won't hold it against you. Despite, what I promised you back at copse, there will come a time, when you and I too will part ways."
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Of course Wraen was too smart to let her hide from it.  Thinking and talking about things like this was hard because it forced her to confront the idea that it was okay to want something for herself sometimes.  She was fine being selfish in the shallow ways; lazy, shirking things she didn't want to do.  But emotionally, the idea of asking for validation, or showing that she needed someone, was a lot to ask.  It meant she had to risk getting her hopes dashed when they couldn't give it.  Wasn't it better to just not need it in the first place?  If she could just be happy with what she had then it wasn't a problem.

It's not like I love him, she answered, looking away.  But the fake cheerfulness slid away as she gave up on trying to avoid the conversation.  And I know he doesn't love me.  So it's probably not worth it.  It hurts that he didn't want to come with, and I'm mad, but I'm not mad at him.  

Maia sighed.  I guess I'm mad at me, because I knew, but I still couldn't help it.  But if it ever happens, I'm not going to have to choose.  Because whoever I end up with is going to want to follow me, that or be okay with waiting sometimes. I know I can't just stay in one place.  

Then she smiled, this time for real, and leaned back into her sister.  It's probably not fair, but I get to choose where I go, and I wanted to come here.  They'll just have to keep up.  Kinda... like Arcturus, y'know? And you.  She eyed Wraen to see what reaction she got for that.  She didn't know if their friendship was like that, not at all, but it was clear that he liked her enough to want to come along.  That was a big deal.  It had made her jealous, honestly... but it made her happy too.

She didn't like the idea of splitting any more than Wraen did, but she didn't want to argue with it.  While she didn't plan on leaving anytime soon, she always wondered if there would come a time when her big sis would get tired of her constantly tailing after.    if that day ever came, she wanted to know... she didn't want her to lie and say she was always welcome.  She just wanted Wraen to be happy.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Contrary to a popular belief, love at first sight is not as common as one thinks," neither is it the one that lasts for long she thought back to her yearling self, who had madly fallen in love with one of her packmates, but nothing had come out of it. "I think that fairy tales do not focus much on, what relationships are in real life. Gives us false expectation and even more disappointment, when it does not turn out as we have imagined," Wraen finished musing and sighed.  

"All's not lost yet, sister. You are gorgeous, you are beautiful, you have nerve and extravaganza, whatever that means," she bumped her shoulder against Maia's. "Plus, you have the longest title in the history of titles. Remember, Queen Crazy?" she referred to another time in the year, when she had supported her sister after she had found out that Charon had died. "Arcturus kind of did not even consider an option to stay. If Meerkat had been there, he might have thought differently. He and that kid were close, from what I could gather," she had missed the implication that they might be romantically involved in any way. 

"He is a good fellow, heart of gold, though a bit stiff," Wraen added. "I hope that you become good friends too." The she got up to her feet, stretched and shooked her coat, looked at Maia and smiled: "So, what were you up to, before I interrupted you?"
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Maia smiled as Wraen listed off all of these great things about her.  It was hard for her to take them to heart, but to her credit, she did try.  She'd been expecting Wraen to argue with her on Arcturus, but instead, she just agreed.  Wait, so were they a thing?

Good friends too.. Maia shook her head, but not in disagreement.  It was funny, here she was, longing for someone who'd love her and travel with her and just... here was Wraen, with a guy right here, but they were just friends.  Maybe she just didn't know what any of it looked or felt like.

I was just looking for some of the places Dad and Mom used to talk about.  This place is cool, but kinda a mess.  She looked at the trees around.  It was hard to imagine them living here.  She was so used to the image of them in the place she'd been born; that was home, not this strange and kinda creepy forest.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"You are very merciful in your choice of words," Wraen remarked, tracing the sorrowful remains of what once had been a glorious and majestic place with her gaze and sighing softly. Though the Sentinels held a nostalgic value to her, she knew that this was nothing but a graveyard, where ghosts of the past had already moved on and ghosts of what-could-have-been wandered around and hoped that one day they might come and become a reality. Sadly neither Wraen, nor many generations after her would see the rebirth of this forest. 

"There's not really much left of it, neither is there anyone else left, who could tell us more of our parents and what it was like here in the past," she said. "I like these ruins just because they are the only piece that I have got left of our parents, though..." Wraen paused, a thought coming to her mind and once it had gained a form, she smiled, "... mom used to say that places are not special, people make them that way. Perhaps, it is time we created a home of our own." 

It was not a serious idea, creating a pack. Definitely not now, but, who prevented her from toying with it. "What do you think, Maia? Use the best of your imagination - what would you want to have in your perfect home?" she asked her sister. "Unicorns are allowed, in case you had any doubts."
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Oh wow.  Maia listened to Wraen talk about this place and tried to imagine what it might have been like before.  Doing so made her inadvertently begin thinking about her home, before the fire... and it made her sad.  But not in a bad way.  There was no way to get back something once it was gone, but it was nice to have the memories.  And it was nice, now, to be able to look back without feeling like she was suffocating.  The first year it had been too hard to do it.

My home?  She asked, snapping to the conversation abruptly and out of her other thoughts.  She'd... never even thought about that before.  Lately, she'd been thinking about something a lot, but she didn't know.  Wraen was kidding, with the unicorns, but Maia wasn't sure if she should mention it.  Was that too serious?  

If she couldn't tell Wraen, she couldn't tell anyone, and she didn't like lying.  Maybe.... I dunno.  I've been thinking that maybe, someday... I kinda might want kids?  Maybe.  Big maybe.  She knew, from a past conversation, that it wasn't an option Wraen had.  But she figured her sis wouldn't be upset by her changing her mind about it.  Though I'll give that and dragons a tie, because if you want to protect a territory, there's no better way.  Unicorns were pretty, but dragons would make things ten times more interesting.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Maia, but that is wonderful!" Wraen exclaimed, truly happy for her sister and with no hint of envy in her voice. "That is even a better reason to find that perfect home for your kids to grow up," she fell silent, thinking about something, smile never leaving her face. It was true that this season she had been more reluctant to engage in babysitting and caring for children of resident packmates. In part due to her age and the sheer enjoyment she found in quiet solitude compared to the noisy shenanigans that surrounded new families. But somehow the idea that she could become an actual aunt to kids of her favourite person in the world put everything in different perspective. She had missed out nearly everything with Terance's children and for once she wished to be a proper aunt, who could be able to spoil children rotten. 

"This means that we will have to rescue a prince during our travels. Or you will have to kiss fair amount of frogs - just in case one has been hexed. Or..." she momentarily thought of Arcturus, who too wanted to have a family and who - she believed - would make a good father and mentor. It was ironic though that two people could have shared goals, but no interest in each other. Hardly anything in common and she doubted that either of them had spoken to each other properly, courtesy aside. "...maybe you have someone particular in mind? Kidnapping Bronco from Moonspear is always an option. Just in case..." she grinned.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Oh, jeeze, that was.... nah.  I mean, he's super cute n all, but...  Flustered, again.  It had been a while since she'd thought of Bronco, or Illidan, or any of the boys she'd crushed on endlessly.  It never seemed to go anywhere.  It wasn't anything, and I doubt he even remembers.  But I'm sure we'll find a prince worth rescuing, unless we want to turn villain and capture one instead.  That's another score in the dragon column.

She was immensely pleased that Wraen was so keen on the idea, and it made her more sure of it herself.  There had been a time when she'd wanted nothing to do with kids.  But then she'd seen Terance's, and her own small siblings, and met Weejay... and something changed.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Well, I am not the one to give any more advice today, but I think that rather than hoping for a love at first sight, you might want to try to know the fellow better. Be friends first and, who knows, where it might lead," Wraen sighed, finding it oddly ironic that, while she had been madly in love and very heartbroken once in her life, and never felt the same way about anyone else again, she was cheeky enough to instruct Maia and pretend to be a pro. Maybe she hoped that her sister would have more luck in the love department. 

"And I do not see, how anyone will refuse a girl, if she has a dragon," Wraen pointed out. "I promise that we will comb the wilds thoroughly for that right fellow. Just imagine - he might be out there, going about his day and not even realizes, what's coming for him!" she said.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
That was so much easier said than done.  She wanted to argue about how hard that was, living a life with constant travel and where wolves tended to disappear... but she dismissed it.  Whose fault was that, in the end?  She could say boys danced in and out of her life, but maybe she was the one doing the leading.  She'd never been all that good at being consistent, and she'd be lying if she said it didn't scare her to think about settling in one place forever.  What if she regretted the place she chose?

Yeah, you're right.  Maia smiled at her sister's confidence, and could say she almost halfway believed it.  But a part of her knew the reality... there was a chance she would never find it.  And she needed to be okay with that.  She wasn't about to stop looking, but she couldn't tie all of her happiness into something that, in the end, she had very little control over.

What about you?  What would "Wraen's perfect home" have?
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"You!" Wraen replied without hesitation and in solid confidence. Home was, wherever Maia was. Whether it was within a pack, enjoying all the luxuries and hardships it came with, or out in the wilds, not knowing, what the tomorrow would bring. As long as her sister was there, Wraen did not care about the small things. Funny really, how they had just spoken about that one true love in a form of a fateful man, who would change everything for the better... (and would have to be coaxed with a bit of a dragon fire) and here was Wraen, who more keenly than ever realized that her sister was that love of her life. That everything in the purest and truest form. Unconditional and undying. 

She was not going to weird her sister out by this revelation, though she was sure that Maia would see it for, what it was, and not seek a double-meaning. But somehow, expressing in words, what it felt like to love someone so much, would mean that half the magic would be gone. Wraen wished to hold on to that moment for a bit longer. With a pang of guilt she remembered that she had entirely forgotten to include Arcturus in that picture of, what her home was. But she was not sure, where to place him yet. Yes, he was her friend, but at the same time there was so much she did not know about him, least of all, whether he would decide to part ways with them eventually to build that home he wanted to. Have mate, children, a dynasty.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Awwwww!  Well, no duh!  Maia extended the first playfully, but she was honestly touched.  She hadn't said it, but that was mostly because it went without saying.  In all this talk about boys, there was always one constant.  When she said keeping up with her, she meant keeping up with them.  There was no way she was ever going to fall behind; not of her own choosing.

I mean besides me!  So far we have a prince and dragons, but if we are building a magical home, there's gotta be something for you too.  A part of Maia wondered if Wraen was serious, and if so, if there was anything her sister was looking for.  Maia had thought maybe Firebirds would be it; especially after Wraen told her, all that time ago, she wasn't interested in traveling anymore.  But Moonspear had been enough to make her leave, which meant the forest wasn't as perfect for her as it looked.  Was there anything that could have made her stay, or was this just a fun game?

Maia wasn't sure she knew how to answer that question seriously, though she thought she had an idea.  What she'd always loved about home was how close everyone was... and if they ever found a pack again, she was going to do her best to make sure they all felt like family.  Not just Wraen.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Well, if there is one thing I have properly learned during these past few years spent here is... be careful, what you wish for, because you will get exactly that and... it might not be, what you imagined it to be like," Wraen finished the very eloquent sentence and hoped that Maia saw some sense in it. 

She fell silent, thinking hard and surprisingly coming up with nothing at all. It was a bit disappointing to realize that as you age, imagining stuff came with difficulty. Wraen had no problem telling stories, seeing them unfold before her eyes, but coming up with something from ground zero and have herself in the middle of it... "I could wish for all-you-can-eat cave, whenever you want, but then, where would the joy be in exploring?" she mused.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
You know, I think it's funny that whenever someone says that, they always mean in a bad way.  Maia wrinkled her muzzle.  Wishes have gotta turn out unexpectedly good too, right?  Otherwise there's no point in doing it.  She giggled, thinking of the popular story trope flipped on its head.  She did see what Wraen meant by it, and took it to heart.  It was important to be careful.

Maybe just, like, an all you can eat cave of moose? Or beaver?  So that if you get tired of it, you gotta go find something new, but if you want your favorite you can always have it no matter what.  I bet you'd get tired of it pretty fast though.  Maia nuzzled her sister playfully, glad she'd played along with the game.  Deeper, she was grateful they could have these kind of talks and not have to worry about upsetting one another.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"I think that people are simply cautious. Someone once said that happiness is nothing but a pleasant disappointment in being wrong about something," Wraen cited a little pearl of wisdom that she had collected along her way through life. And it was true in many ways, though she also agreed with Maia. Wishes could turn unexpectedly good too. Maybe it had to do with wishing correctly or... making it simple and clear. 

"Food hunting could be like a treasure hunt," Wraen suggested. "Say, you can track and hunt the usual way OR you could do it the fun and challenging way. Say - you have to read the clues to get to that moose cave. Or guess riddles. Or... other mental stuff. Just to keep minds sharp," that would be fun for a while and perhaps give opportunities to those wolves, who were not by nature super-survivors, but just might be smart enough to earn their living through other means.

"Of course, we cannot let just about anyone in our lands. They have to pass the Test of Awesomeness," she offered, having a vague feeling that they might have done something similar before.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
A challenge would be amazing.  a treasure hunt, with the options Wraen had put forth.  Maia loved the idea of riddles, but even clues could be similar with some good wordplay.  Games, all the time! And every night, stories for the whole place to join in.  That one almost made it too real... for a minute, she was actually wistful for this place.

But of course, they would absolutely have to pass the awesomeness test.  She remembered a previous conversation where they'd spoken of this, and then again, when she'd put Epic through the trial of awesomeness.  He'd since disappeared, one of the first in a series of little heartaches.  She didn't remember exactly what she'd made him do, though.  Beat her at a game?

Trial one would be.... to grant yourself an entry title.  Maia grinned.  The better the title, the better the awesomeness score!
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"That sounds fair. And we have already a cool title to measure it against!" Wraen grinned at Maia. "Yours!" she referred to that one time long, long ago, when her sister was crying on her shoulder and asked the legendary question of, whether she was crazy. Or something along the lines, Wraen did not remember the exact words.

"If they cannot come up with anything good, then they will have to live with a nickname we give them for a whole year! I can't imagine anyone, who could not become creative, if their prospects were to be named Toot, Fluffer-Doodle or... Dazy Diddle," though the last one was not that bad really. 

"Task number two - they have to tell a story. Any kind, but definitely such we have never ever heard before," Wraen would love to be a judge of that one. "We can - of course - help them, if they feel shy or insecure," she added, because making a story together with someone was just as great.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Absolutely!  Maia beamed enthusiasm at that; she didn't remember the exact specifics, it had been long and detailed, but she remembered the gist.  She'd adored the title Wraen gave her, mostly because it had been the perfect cheer up in a pretty nasty time.  

She laughed at the names Wraen came up with for placeholders.  Or Sir Fluffykins, She added.  That one at least had a title, which made the second part almost worse in contrast.  I like that second part. We can help, but if they give up too fast, they get put on dragon daycare.  What better to get those creative juices flowing than trying to keep track of a bunch of fire breathing monsters?  That will definitely give them some ideas for next time, obviously.  She giggled at the idea of a more serious wolf (like Towhee) being chased by a bunch of small, overly-playful dragons.