Neverwinter Forest you ask me what I'm thinking about, I'll tell you what I'm thinking about
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Private 
backdated! attn @Mal ; with @Bronco and @Keres

Taking an alternative route, the matriarch paused before the border of Neverwinter and still gave it ample berth. We will not call, she drawled, looking to Bronco and Keres, we must wait. If Nyra, or any other Saint, was within earshot—they would not hear from them in this way, at least. She wondered if Mal himself might meet with her, but then... there were a myriad of other scents that gathered her interest, too. Subtle, it was difficult to distinguish whether or not they were new or old. She lingered in the rain, licking her chops as she waited alongside Keres and Bronco.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Be okay if Kyr popped in and did her scout thang? Feel free to skip me if opportunity allows!

Another day, another hour. If it had not been for what followed after the many storms occurred, Vallkyrie could have said she missed them. The rains brought a pleasant quietness, a calm to the earth as the sky raged. 

And it was as though her thought of it gave the Gods merit to bring down the rains again this day. She moved in a steady trot along the borders, thinking maybe she would wait around home until the rains stopped to hunt. For now, she would enjoy home in the forestry. 

She was happy for her decision, catching scent of Moonspesr wolves on the dewy breeze. Hydra. Bronco. Two familiar wolves in the distance and one she had yet to meet. Queen Hydra. She greets with a polite smile as she closes the distance between her and the visitors off the mountain. Its been quite some time. You, She spoke, tossing an icy pale gaze into Bronco's direction. Not so much. A larger smile then from her own words and she alas dips her muzzle to the woman she had yet to meet. Welcome to Neverwinter. I'm Vallkyrie Archer. A bit more formal today, now that she was greeting those at her doorstep.
Epsilon
268 Posts
Ooc — Gina
-shoves post here-

Keres moved with the other two in veritable silence, thinking over the exchange the trio had just had with the "Saint". Nyra had all but spilt and strewn her guts everywhich way to Hydra at the meer threat of death. This behavior told Keres a few things, namely that the bear of a woman's loyalty meant next to nothing, but also that there seemed to be disension among their pack's ranks. Could you even call it a pack? A band, perhaps. A group of miscreants and misfits, more like.

Slowing to a stop alongside their queen, Keres nodded in acknowledgement of her words. And wait, we will, The silver wolf answered, shaking her head a bit to rid the water from the fur near her eyes. They need not wait long, it seemed, for a wolf came to greet them soon enough, greeting the Ostrega matriarch by name and the male with them by a jovial snipe. Curious. The thought was whisked away as the pale gaze moved to her, and a greeting in its wake.

Vallkyrie. The name struck a fond chord within her. Keres, She responded in kind. Pleasure.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
After their run-in with the Dyrefang female, Bronco felt himself growing more and more concerned for the wolves of Neverwinter- but relieved that at least they had played their part in disrupting the spy's plans. Surely she might reconsider performing the task, knowing that the Neverwinter wolves would be made aware that they ought to look out for someone spying on them? Three witnesses perfectly able to describe her in vivid detail, too- if Nyra was smart, she'd avoid the area altogether. And if she did venture this way, Bronco figured she wouldn't be able to get too close, now that her cover was blown. 

He'd carried the deer haunch along with him and was grateful for the chance to set it down and let his neck muscles rest when they reached the borders. He nodded solemnly and stretched his neck out a bit, content to sit and wait for someone to come and greet them. He wasn't far away from suggesting they play some sort of game to pass the time when he caught sight of someone approaching them. To his surprise- and obvious glee- it was Vallkyrie. 

His expression brightened and he sat up straighter when he caught sight of her- realizing only a moment later that this, potentially, could be Vallkyrie's twin and that he ought not get his hopes up too much. He searched for recognition in her glacial gaze, and when her eyes rested upon him he felt certain- didn't he?- that she looked at him with more fondness than the others. Perhaps he was only seeing what he wanted to see, but he still felt fairly assured that she was happy to see him again. 

Hydra was greeted first and he was trying to hold back too wide of a grin when she addressed him- but he couldn't help the beaming fondness in his gaze. He wondered what Hydra and Keres might think of the way she'd addressed him- but he was willing to expose their friendship without any shame. "Too much time for my preference," He responded with a charming warmth, as he referred to the timespan which had passed since he'd seen her last. "Good to see you again, Vallkyrie," He said. He knew he'd have to take the back seat in their conversation- but was still pleased that Vallkyrie was there; even if they didn't get to spend much time together just by themselves, he was happy to see her again.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Gotta love backdated threads. It made things a good deal easier because Mal wasn't a depressed pile at this point -- though we'll be vague on the details for exactly when between them. But he was still having at least a little bit of trouble moving along -- his shoulder hurt and wasn't likely to change for a little while, he hadn't exactly been nice to it the entire way home.

Then there were things like this -- probably against doctor's orders, he was out trying to do a patrol. When he was alone, he didn't mind hobbling along. Nobody saw, nobody was the wiser. But he thought he was hearing voices up ahead. Hmm. He paused a moment, flexed his leg, then drew up enough willpower to walk on it without cringing at least for the time of whatever meeting this was.

As he moved forward and they came into view, Mal blinked, recognizing a couple of the faces -- and Vallkyrie of course -- but why were they here? Still, he continued forward, putting on a grin, What's this? We got a party going on out here and nobody invited me? Such an offense! Or so he joked.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The woman who met them was familiar to the matriarch, and it was not long before she knew why. Although she was surprised to see her face here, she was glad for it. In these times, Mal could surely benefit from a wolf of her aptitude and strength. Mindful, Hydra dipped her head in polite greeting, while also revealing that she understood her place here. She might be on neutral territory, but she had come close enough to Neverwinter to warrant it. Hydra took a few steps forward so as to stand beneath the skirt of a fir, finding brief relief from the rain there. It was not that she minded, being a wolf born and bred of the wilds—but even by her standards, there was much too much of the stuff as of late. 

She observed how she regarded Bronco, and was pleased for that too. Too long, indeed, she drawled, time is too fickle a thing. We must see one another again, before long. Perhaps once these rains end, she suggested, looking upward at the veil of it that came down. Hydra had quite enjoyed her time with the woman long ago. She seemed quick of wit and also of familiar pedigree... why should they not, if Vallkyrie was willing? 

Keres seemed to enjoy her, too; her sister had good instinct, as did Bronco it seemed. 

And then came Mal. Despite herself, she could not help the twinkle in her eye. He was most unlike any she had met before. And where once she had hated it, it had shifted to tolerance... but something else, too. It was complicated. But at the very least, there was, from her end, the absence of that sour feeling. In the rain, and with his efforts, Hydra did not see the hitch in his gait... and, him not yet being close enough, did not see anything else that suggested he had met with danger recently either. 

Hydra's ear flicked, quipping, I suppose you have not heard of a surprise party, then. We were only waiting for your arrival, attempting to get a better look at him, but still not yet able to from this distance. I have some news for you. I was in the area to check upon the progress of my packmates when I found a wolf at your door, she drawled, and not the sort you might hope for. A Saint spy, Here she waited for Mal to get settled, so that he might not miss anything that she had to say. 

of course <3 u is always welcome.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
Keres, the other mountain wolf allowed and Kyr dipped her head once more to the woman as Bronco spoke up, placing some charm on him having missed her in the time that had passed since seeing one another. She wondered if his flirty nature was true to his feelings or if he was naturally that way with woman- like Mal and Jack were. She had her fair share of flirtatious males in the ranks. 

Giving her coat a shake off of the still falling rains, her head lifts up back to Hydra as she moves to take cover under one of the many towering conifers. I scout out often outside the territory, hunting or otherwise. Her profession of hunting, and scouting, may have been easy to pinpoint gathered her long legged and streamlined figure. She used her body to her advantage, of course. Knowing her strengths and her limitations. I could visit anytime you'd like. She had been offered to visit the island of Yuelong once before with Ying. A rather interesting place. She could so the same upon the mountains or even go on a hunt or stroll, it didnt so much matter. Getting to know the Queen of the mountains intrigued the Archer. 

Then one of those flirty boys came along, the most laid back and playful of them all. Vallkyrie could honestly say in her time here she had never seen the male become truly angered. Sad maybe, annoyed, but the serious nature had been left to Simmik. A good balance between leadership, Kyr came to believe. Mal had not come out unscathed from his time wandering the Wilds looking for Cupid and for that Kyr's jaw tightened at the reminder of it. 

She listened silently as Hydra began off, first a small smirk playing to her mug at the mention of a 'surprise party' and then a much more hardened expression at the more recent visitor Hydra had found lurking on the outskirts of their territory. It was no wonder Hydra came here with not just one guard, but two. I hope you made good work of 'em... She grumbles, icy eyes shifting to Mal then, awaiting him to take the floor. The Archer's patience with all that had been happening at her home had grown quite thin. Members continuously wondering off only to get attacked and unable to make it back timely. Even Yuelong had lost some members and Mal one of his pups. The blame could lie within the irresponsible members themselves, the absent mothers, the storms or even just ad much so, The Saints.
Epsilon
268 Posts
Ooc — Gina
Another arrived and Keres fell silent, watching and listening. The way the man limped was subtle but noticeable, to her at least, and she wondered idly what had happened. His tone was full of mirth, though she expected that to wane as Hydra began to speak. When she revealed that there had been a Saint spy lurking on the borders of Neverwinter's realm, the Ostrega woman could not help but snort, a wry comment slipping from her tongue. Some spy she makes. She had been caught in the act, afterall.

And who the hell made anyone so giant and noticeable a spy? These Saints would be easy to tear down if their choice in agent was any indication.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
A hopeful nod was given to Vallkyrie when she made the offer to visit- though the comment was directed more likely toward Hydra than him, he was quick to answer. "Any time," He was oblivious of his eagerness, and how obvious it might have been that he was crushing on the statuesque beauty, though when Hydra stepped forward to command the conversation, he figured he ought to allow her to take charge. With Mal now present- and Bronco gave him a frindly nod of his head- he supposed they'd get back to the business they'd come to deal with. 

The first note was the spy; Vallkyrie, for one, did not look impressed whatsoever and it was with a tone as icy as her gaze that she commented about Nyra. His gaze turned to Hydra- knowing his alpha had made the call not to kill or even harm the spy. Bronco'd chased after her to put some fear into her, but he'd not attacked her, or even touched her. He felt a bit bad, now- maybe they should have torn into her, leaving her with remarkable scars so that everyone would know she was a spy. Still- that hadn't been his call. From where Hydra and Keres left off, he continued. "She told us everything; she was planning to come here and spy on your pack. She gave us names, too- the alphas of the Saints are wolves named Donovan Azura, and Derg," He said. "They've made an alliance with a pack of wolves called Ursus, led by...Merrick, and Blackbird...But by the way she spoke, she didn't seem sure the alliance would last." He said. He shrugged. "Could all be a ruse- but it didn't seem like she was lying."
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Tag for ref and/or BTS convo depending on when new threads take place?

Ooh? he said, putting on a face like he really was looking forward to an actual party that was maybe just right around the next bend. But somehow he didn't think Hydra would actually have a party, so that little bit of joking faded as he listened to Hydra's then Bronco's information. What they said was.. Totally irrational at best. What the hell, man? Also as a sidenote, we're gonna assume Mal doesn't remember/wasn't told Merrick's name because the writer does not freaking remember.

Mal scoffed, The hell is their issue? Of all the packs that told them to piss off, they hadn't really messed with us before directly, just our allies. Look -- I was just off in the mountains and one of their idiots tried to attack me there too -- and attacked a packmate before that. Not at their borders or anything. Didn't care he was the one creating trouble, even when I told him... They're trying to make enemies. A birdlike tilt of his head, pondering it, making a chipper deduction, They don't seem like a particularly intelligent group of wolves. Showing up in a peaceful area, attacking people, and then pissing off the most neutral of a web of allied packs seemed particularly daft, even to Mal who probably wasn't going to get into MENSA any time soon. But at least he was street smart. Despite being chatty, he knew when to shut up, and when to lie a little -- even if by omission. Did the guy in the mountains even know he'd crossed paths with one of the Neverwinter leaders? Probably not. And in this case, Mal preferred it that way.

What would @Simmik think of the fact that not only did that one dude attack them, but Donovan was outright out to spy on them? He'd apparently been nice to her, but what did that mean with this perspective? Maybe it really had been a trick, just spoiled by the nature of how the world had turned? They'd probably have to have a more detailed chat about it later, but even if he was just dropping news and running to make sure everything else stayed in line.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra looked to Vallkyrie. No, she drawled, not yet. She is not a good spy, she echoed the sentiment of Keres, for the Saints. But if all she did say is true, then we have unwittingly gained something, and someone, of use. Not that she will return here, she considered, speaking of the Wilderness, if she truly does value her life. But, despite the alliance the Saints and Ursus has... I feel as though it is quite tentative, with her hatred of them. Most of all, I wanted to give them no reason to truly unite, a tactical move, from her own end. Hydra wanted to see what might unfold, if anything. Was Nyra's hatred true, or was it a lie to remain alive and spread misinformation? 

She intended to find out, and find out she would. 

That, and they were seeking information on you and yours, her gaze panned to Mal, and I wanted them to gain no information to that end, either, including of our rapport. Better they not plan for any advantage you may have over them, she hummed. It would be far easier to be rid of the pests should they be unaware so that they might not hide in any holes, as Blackfeather Woods had once done when made aware that they were being hunted. Hydra listened now to Mal, who explained they had done no wrongs to the Saints as far as he was aware of, and they had no direct connections to them. 

Here Hydra glanced to Bronco, her own point made. If permitted the lay of the land, those that she sought to bring an end to would do as they wished simply because they could, not for any rights or wrongs. 

And then she looked back to Mal again, once he had quieted. Whatever the reason, she hummed, you have gained the attention of the Saints. Which might prove useful, believe it or not, she drawled, eyes bright. I have been thinking. How do we be rid of wolves such as these? We could, knowing now where they live, gather a force large enough to take them on, remove them from where they feel safe... though leaving our own territory would leave our homes vulnerable. That, and they know the lay of their own lands. And what, short of killing them all, would stop them from reform? Our advantage is here—the only one we may have there is some element of surprise, she drawled, but even that is no sure thing. Oh, I imagine we might be able to kill three or four among them, out there, she considered, but hardly enough for it to be over... 

She paused, thinking. I think, she hummed, the most important wolves to be removed in this equation would be their leaders. But going to them... it is hard to find wisdom in this. We know that these Saints are looking for information on you and yours, whatever the reason. Having learned nothing from us, they will surely want to return when they imagine it is safe. Hydra considered this for a moment, looking from one face to the next. Letting the she-wolf live surely provided them with the thought that I am a woman of mercy. It was a calculated, and tactical, move. All knew she was no such thing when her family was at risk, and she did not take the threat of the Saints and what they stood for lightly. And believing that the Saints, at least, might come, they could be prepared for that. Prepared for allies too, if Ursus and Saints bond stood the test of time and tempers. 

There was no lesser of two evils here, only evil. Ursus, Saint—she would see them both gone, if she had her way. 

Moonspear has grown in number, and we intend to have no further incidents within the Glen, in time. I wonder if you might have a similar desire to my own, to keep these mongrels away from those we protect, to the point of us calling upon one another when they are near. Would you fight with us, to remove Saint and Ursus alike from the Wilderness? she inquired, with a lash of her tail. The more teeth, the better their odds—and Hydra's mind intended to add more than just the number she carried behind her, and Mal, too. 

From the coast to the mountains, Hydra would cast shadow into light to obliterate the traces of darkness they sought to spread.

Burn them all.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
The woman with brightly green eyes murmured about the spy being a poor one at that and to this after Bronco added into the conversation about how she had openly admitted everything once she had been made. Vallkyrie's ears perked with a wonder, head cocking to the side. Strange... Lips pursed and then, Either they had a poor choice of wolf for spying, or it's a scam. Maybe they want to think the alliance is breaking, so we wont be prepared for a larger force against us? She spoke, wondering to herself allowed just in case the others gathered here had the same thought on their mind. 

Mal added in then, speaking about his time when he had been out and about searching for Cupid and how he, too, had been attacked by the group. Yuelong, too, has had members of theirs disappear on them when coming here on the mainland during the storms. Their warriors mostly, it seemed. I dont know, but that seemed oddly convenient. Which Vami decided Aiolos told Kyr when he had gone off looking for his missing mates, given the fact that she plays both characters...

And then, a question... Merrick and Blackbird? If they are allies, I assume they are of the same caliber. Are these two akin to the group that had been attacking wolves around this region before the Saints came along? Unknowingly to her it was a 'yes' though she hadn't gathered the names of the attackers before. 

Then, the dark woman went on, speaking that the Saints interest in the pine forest wolves might end up being of use. Kyr's ears flickered, attentive. There was different tactics to be had, but none which would ensure victory, none which would ensure that not their own parish in the fight and none of course which meant that after such a battle, it would be the end of the war. But they had to do something of course... 

They would be back, of course they would, if fighting and f-ing was all the group was known to be good for. The Saints saught to cause chaos whichever and whatever direction they chose. For the hell of it, for the fun of it. It was true that they could march upon them, likely win, but it was also true they could pick off the Saints whenever they came into the Wilderness just the same as they had been trying to pick off them. Everyone just needed to be aware, play by the rules, and be united

And before Mal could even answer, I will. She agreed to the Mountain Queen. 

Enough was enough.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
As discussed in Discord, one of the things missing here was that the writer is pretty dang sure nobody mentioned that two of the psycho trio were wolves now part of Ursus and that one was named Merrick. Not that he didn't mind being skipped on being forcibly recruited into a rather chompy quest, because that was generally not his thing. So, he was missing some of the context even though he would clearly know who they were talking about. Someone enlighten the poor idiot.

Kyr had brought up a few things that he wanted to know too, he was far more cautious about the whole thing. He peered at her for a moment before responding, I want them gone, but I'm a hunter, even if the player is too lazy to swap trades right this instant. He was not an amazing fighter -- he bluffed more than anything -- and did kind of feel like he'd probably mess things up if he got directly involved, even if he wanted to take a chunk out of Donovan for being a scumbag. But if it looks to be coming to that, there are a few here that I think would be good to tag along. If Simmik had to fight Donovan, could she? Now? But it's not like I set out to make an army, here. I think we have more healers than anything.. or at least there were a lot more wolves that tended more nurturing than fighting, as he'd ended up saying to Cupid uhhh... When was that? I'd imagine some of the other packs that joined us running them out of Ravensblood would be good to check with, too.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
wc:157
It seemed as though the Neverwinter Forest wolves were somewhat divided in their willingness to fight, with Vallkyrie openly expressing her desire to be a part of the action, and Mal rationally making sure that they weren't simply flinging themselves toward an unknown enemy, if his wolves were more hunters and healers. The more warriors they had, the better, and healers would be useful too- but like Mal, Bronco didn't want to force anyone to fight if they didn't feel they were capable of keeping their own head above the din. Hell, he wasn't even sure what he himself would be like in a battle- and he wasn't keen to see it happen.

And so, they parted ways- with an unspoken agreement that should they be forced to deal with the Saints or Ursus, that they could investigate the topic again later, and come to a decision about just how allied they would be as a front.