Moonspear forty winks
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
All Welcome 
Wink wonk @Meerkat

The hunt that Atlas had shared with the other three had been a successful one. It had been some time since the dark young shade had found such a relaxed group and one so competent. Even the young blonde girl who had joined them had provided a solid presence in their attempts to wrangle the stray calf. The boy had wondered when Bronco and the young lady had joined them on the mountain. Had he really been so occupied with his own thoughts that he had missed their acceptance?

Stepping out of his den site and into the crisp autumn air, Atlas drew his nose to the wind and drank in the scents. Once he had filled his spirits with the fragrance of Moonspear, he set his path and began his trek downward toward the base of the mountain. The dark wolf wondered if he might catch the young Meerkat on a jaunt, or if Osiris might be up for a patrol. The glimmer of yellow in his gaze searched for the company of another pack member.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She noticed that she felt the most homesick during any downtime, so Meerkat tried to keep busy. This involved a lot of exploration of the territories immediately surrounding the mountain. She'd spent much of the day traipsing through Bramblepoint today, effectively mesmerized by the autumn splendor everywhere she looked (and smelled...). It slowly dawned on her that she really much preferred forests to mountains, a realization which she kept turning over and over in her head as Meerkat eventually headed home to Moonspear.

Her soft brown eyes spotted a familiar figure roving the borders. Glad for another distraction, Meerkat hollered, "Hey!" She didn't bother with a formal sign—even that tended to trigger her homesickness nowadays—though she did momentarily rear to flail her forelegs in greeting before scampering up to Atlas. Her tail waved as she gave him an exaggerated wink in greeting.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
‘Hey!’

A voice pulled the shade’s ears back on his head and he turned quickly to latch his sights on the familiar figure of the young girl who had assisted them with their hunt. She reared back and not only offered him a wave of her paws, but a wonderfully overzealous wink. The young Ostrega could not help the smile that curled his dark lips or the waver in his tail. It would never fail to surprise him to see wolves like Meerkat in the ranks of his mother’s pack. Hydra was not a woman to trifle with, but it did not seem to sway those who were warm of spirit and walked to their own beat. He thought for a moment of Moriko.

“Hey yourself,” Atlas returned, swinging himself around so that he could help close the space between them. She did not seem to be accompanied by the golden-cloaked Bronco. The shadow had wondered if they were something of a pair or if their relationship with each other was more familial. He could tell that she was young, so he did not imagine they shared any romantic feelings for each other. They did seem close, though.

“What are you up to?”
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
He looked happy to see her, which made her toes tingle. Laughing at this absurdity, Meerkat pranced a little in place before schooling herself into some semblance of stillness. Her tail went right on waving, though, gently swaying her palely brindled hindquarters.

"I was out exploring, just got back," she replied to his question, "what about you?"
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
The prance was not at all what the dark young wolf had expected, but he could not help that it made him smile. She told him that she had been out exploring, which seemed like a fine thing to do while the weather was still somewhat enjoyable. The thought of snow had stuck inside his mind. He’d woken up every day in the last month and daydreamed about the ground covered in plush white.

“I was just thinking about winter and how nice it’ll be to have snow on the ground again. Makes everything seem so different,” he confessed to her, glancing toward the rocky slopes as though he could see them coated in a thick frigid layer. Atlas worried too, but he did not want to share those portions with Meerkat. It would have brought the mood down, he felt.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
He mentioned winter and, specifically, snow. Meerkat had never experienced either one of these things for herself, though she knew a little bit about them. The way Atlas spoke of them, she guessed she would love them too. She'd verily enjoyed the changing seasons thus far and looked forward to completing the cycle.

"My dad told me about snow once. He said it's rain, only frozen, and it forms a sort of powdery white layer on everything that can stick around for days. It sounds pretty magical," Meerkat said. "I can't wait for my first snow! When can I expect it?"
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
The young girl explained that her father had described snow to her once, even though she had never actually lived through it on her own. Even the dark boy understood that he had still been young during his first winter, but old enough to know that it was both challenging and rewarding in completely different ways.

“The whole world gets still and quiet,” he explained to her, voice warm and rumbling. “It’s white and shimmering, softer than sand after it first falls, and will make your coat thick and warm.” The inkwell laughed at the premise; surely it would sound almost farfetched to Meerkat, who had never experienced something like snow in her life. Atlas hoped that she might enjoy it.

Looking to the skies, drinking in the scent, the young Ostrega fixed her with a sure smile and a charming quirk of his brow before speculating, “I’d say soon. In the next full moon or the one after.”
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Phox hadn't mentioned the snow's effect on fur. For a moment, Meerkat's eyes widened as she wondered how this was possible. She pictured snowfall like white grains of sand, perhaps because of Atlas's very comparison, tumbling over her pelt and causing it to poof and thicken. Then critical thought entered the picture and she snorted at herself, though her curiosity did not abate.

"How does it do that? Make your coat thick and warm?" she asked, guileless. "That's not too far away," she added before realizing with an intake of breath, "That's right around when I become an adult!" It would be pretty incredible to mark the occasion with her very first snowfall. "Is there any particular place on the mountain that's good for watching snow fall?"
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
I’m not sure, he admitted to her with a thoughtful crease of his brow before the inkwell yearling turned to his companion and reached out to prod her coat with his nose. The smile that lingered on his lips was one of warmth. But you could probably do with some more fluff, I’d say. The remark was not intended to be one that teased her. It had been a year ago, but Atlas did not easily forget the bitter chill that had clung to his frame every time he had stepped from the family den and into the brisk air. If it hadn’t been for his cloak increasing in its density, he likely would have frozen solid.

You know, I’ve never seen one… but I’ll bet that if a wolf didn’t grow their winter coat, they’d turn into a block of ice!

The shade chuckled before realizing that Meerkat probably wouldn’t know what he meant by that. He glanced around their immediate area, wondering if there was somewhere he could show her – somewhere that had a large block of frozen water linger on the surface. Summer still held fast to the temperatures, leaving them with warmer days and colder nights. In time, Atlas could show her what fun the snow would bring.

There’s a spot up high where the rock stretches out and makes an area where you can watch the snow fall for hours without it settling around you. I could show you?
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Evidently there was some sort of magic involved, as Atlas didn't have a straight answer for her. Meerkat didn't mind that in the least, it made it quite the enchanting little mystery. She also didn't mind the way Atlas gently touched her, his nose cool and damp against her svelte fur. It tingled where he touched, a little shiver of delight racing down her spine and resulting in a sudden twitch of her tail.

"Welllll... I'll do my best to get fluffier," Meerkat said, scrunching up her face and grunting as if trying to mentally force her fur to grow thicker. When she reopened an eye a beat later, she loosened up and observed with a chuckle, "I'll keep working on it. Maybe I should just eat more?" Little did she know that padding on some extra fat would achieve the same ends. "Although it might be cool to be an ice cube." Was that pun intentional?

Atlas offered to take her to a good locale for watching snow showers. Of course she wanted him to show her! Her heart did a little song and dance against her ribs as she nodded with an emphatic, "Aw yiss!" Then a thought floated through her mind and Meerkat guessed, "Is it up high, in that grove where the air gets sorta... thin?" A cheeky smile wound onto her face because it fit that Atlas would take her someplace to steal her breath away.
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
Meerkat’s efforts were duly noted. Atlas bobbed his head a few times, hoping that this might help to provide a modicum of support. At the mention of eating more to thicken her, the dark yearling drew his crown back and cracked his lips before an, “ahh,” was made.

“I would certainly be happy to help collect you some food on your quest for thickness, Meerkat,” Atlas offered her in a voice that sounded quite noble. The dark young wolf looked to her with a quick smile before he bowed his head awkwardly and extended his legs. He believed that it would be much more favorable to be a burly beast over a frozen block of water. The thought sent a chill down his back, leaving goosebumps to rise along the flesh of his frame.

The lookout spot had been one that he had treasured for several months, having climbed into it often to watch the world below. “How’d you know? Come on, I’ll take you now,” the shade grinned before darting upward along the rocky mountain slope. He did not doubt that Meerkat could keep up; she had done well to remain beside them during their group hunt.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Atlas's solemn offer made her whole body feel warm and fuzzy, several of the knuckles in her toes going inexplicably numb. When he bowed, her stomach swooped and Meerkat couldn't stop the giggle that bubbled up from the deeps of her stomach, tickling her throat before bursting from her lips. Her eyes sparkled and she was so struck, she could only murmur a dreamy, "Okay."

It was time to climb. Never mind the fact that Meerkat didn't like traveling up that high and had noped out soon after meeting Keres in Crescent Grove. She would follow Atlas anywhere and wouldn't dream of refuting his plan to take her there. Meerkat high-stepped after him, her gait even jauntier than usual, her insides still doing all sorts of silly things.

Funnily, he took her breath away long before the air began to thin. Just following after him, seeing the way he mastered the mountainside like none other than a black panther, set her heart beating faster. She caught a couple glimpses of his backside, which didn't hurt either, though it did make her blush a little. But it didn't stop her from staring. She might be a sweet and innocent girl but she was still Towhee's daughter.
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
The dark Ostrega was thrilled with his company and eager to show her all the best places on the mountain that he had found in his time there. There was an advantage to remaining in the same pack he’d been birthed to. More than that, the dark young beast had always had a penchant for finding the quiet places within the pack. During the nights that he had occupied the guard position, he had preferred to do so in a place where the air was thin and the world below him was quiet; his mind could easily be freed in those situations.

When he could feel his lungs heaving and the weight of carrying his frame started to tire his limbs, Atlas caught sight of the grove he’d been searching for. With a glance over his shoulder to the golden-cloaked Meerkat, he offered her a smile and slowed his pace so that he could fall in step beside her. It had been a rapid climb and he didn’t want to make her feel overworked.

“At night,” he huffed softly, “it feels like you could slip into the stars from this place. Like the world just bleeds into the sky.” His voice was reverent when he admitted this to her, like it was something childish he should have kept to himself.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
By the time they reached such great heights, Meerkat officially felt lightheaded. She couldn't be sure if it was the arduous climb, the thinning air, the lovely sky or her company that stole her breath; probably it was all of the above. Feeling like every bit the swooning girl, she looked upward, a dreamy smile curving her lips at Atlas's words.

"You right," she said, a little dumbly. Catching herself, she swayed a little and giggled as she bumped into him. Meerkat made no effort to move, leaning against his solid, swarthy frame. "We should stay up here, watch the sun set and the stars come out," she said directly into his ear.
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
When her blonde frame touched against the black of his, Atlas grounded himself and stood well to support any amount of weight that she wished to press against him. The lightness of her body was almost unreal to him; he could never imagine being small. Yet he had been just a young pup a year prior to that – he had known many of the same things that Meerkat did. When he had been nothing more than a boy who was old enough to speak, Atlas remembered dreaming of trekking to the high peaks of the mountain and gazing down at his family’s home.

Sharing that moment with Meerkat left him with radiating warmth in his body. The thrum of his heart settled, and he looked to the younger girl with a mixed expression of surprise and joy. She wanted to watch the sun set – with him – and to wait until the stars came out. The inkwell yearling could hardly contain the happiness that this suggestion had filled inside of him.

“O-okay. I’ve always wanted someone to watch the stars come out with me,” Atlas said to her in a rugged voice that hung on his tongue. The shade was almost bashful as he bumped his shoulder to her gently.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She began to breathe a little heavily. She could see the little black furs rustling in Atlas's ear. She chuckled, which made them flatten even more. Surely it tickled. Gently, Meerkat pushed herself a little more upright, though she remained close. As a matter of fact, she settled beside him in such a way that shoulder and hip pressed into his.

He seemed quietly overjoyed to have company in this endeavor and Meerkat liked to think it had to do with her, personally, though maybe it was just nice to have someone express interest in his interests. Either way, she was happy to be here and inquired, "Do you stargaze a lot?" She paused, looking toward the sky, ignoring a slight dizziness as she told him, "My dad's an astronomer, so he's taught me a few things. I could find the North Star when it gets dark enough."

But she hoped that wouldn't happen anytime soon, if only because she was in no rush for time to pass. Meerkat was very much enjoying the moment. Her warm brown eyes dropped back earthward, settling on the side of Atlas's face, hoping he'd look at her again. She so loved looking into this handsome yellow eyes of his.
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
It was nice, that moment of shared company.

Atlas could not help but feel the quickening of his heartrate and the way that his eyes wandered toward the younger girl. More than this natural shift in attraction, the shade found that he rather enjoyed spending time with someone who took interest in him. How could he feel anything but smitten by the warmth in the brown of Meerkat’s eyes? The way that she leaned against his larger frame, openly and affectionately. The dark Ostrega had never really experienced someone who was both tactile and generous in their company.

He rather enjoyed it.

Turning to look at her with overflowing interest, Atlas’ brows rose at the words she offered. Her father had been something of a stargazer and had imparted some of his wisdom in her. This was a gift, he recognized immediately. “Oh I love to look at them, but I’m afraid I don’t know a whole lot about them,” the inky wolf admitted to her, feeling heat rise into his cheeks.

“Do you think you could teach me what you know?”

And though the Ostrega wolves were a prideful lot, Atlas did not seem at all perturbed by asking to learn from someone younger than him. He was all too eager and grateful for young Meerkat.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
He rewarded her with a direct look, eyebrows raising inquisitively. She barely noticed. It also took a beat or two for Meerkat to process his question. Dropping her own eyes if only so she could concentrate, she smiled down at the ground long enough to recompose herself before meeting his gaze again.

"It's not a lot," she cautioned, "but of course." Her words came with a demure smile as she once more wondered how they might pass the time until twilight. She could think of a few ways...

Her heart pattered a little harder in her chest as she asked, "Since it'll be a while before dark, could we lay down together and rest 'til then?" Truth be told, Meerkat wouldn't mind cuddling up a bit but she wondered if that was a bit too forward for right now.
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
Not a lot was still more than he had to offer, so the dark young hunter was eager to share in the knowledge that she had. A mixture of awe and guilt tumbled around in his stomach; this warm young girl had found more about the heavens than he had. He had spent countless nights staring up into the glittering expanse of darkness, wondering what the stars were really made of, how far away they were, and where they went when the sun rose in the morning. He longed to understand what secrets they held and how that understanding might help to benefit those around him.

Knowing that nightfall wouldn’t be for some time yet, Meerkat suggested that they lay and wait. Atlas could see no downside to this idea and bobbed his head in agreement before flopping down to his side and stretching his long legs out until they draped over her frame. A warm smile curled the dark of his lips as the shade released a heavy sigh.

“So, does this mean you’re an astronomer in training? Or do you have your sights set on other passions, Meerkat?” he rumbled softly to her.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
When Atlas casually slung his legs over her, Meerkat tried to bite back the smile that threatened to explode across her face. Her cheeks flushed pleasantly, aching for the effort. She also had to stifle the giggle that wanted to burst from her throat. Fortunately, a fresh spell of dizziness hit her just then and suddenly staying upright took all of her concentration for several beats.

"I've been focusing a lot on ambassadorship," she replied quietly when she could, head still swimming, "but I'm interested in being a sort of... life coach." She glanced sideways at him, wondering if that made any sense. The movement finally did her in and she swooned, her pale head falling gently against Atlas's shoulder as her eyelids fluttered.
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
The dark yearling listened to her intently as she explained her choice in paths. It made perfect sense to him that she would seek a social trade set; she seemed the type to warm any situation she became a part of. The way that Meerkat could dive into any scenario and exude joy and confidence was something that had drawn him to her. All the anxiety that he felt – all of the worries that plagued him – were nothing when he could talk to the blonde-coated young girl. She had a way with others that was uncanny, but Atlas was determined to soak up as much of it as he could.

Nothing could quell the fear that existed in the back of his head – she wouldn’t last. She would grow bored with him and move on to far more amazing things. This irrational thought left him with a hollow feeling in his gut. Atlas instead focused on the subject at hand: Meerkat’s desired trades.

“I think you’d be great at that. You’ve got a good sense of… well… you,” the dark yearling prattled for a moment before he realized that he was just trailing off in some nonsensical way and she was probably thinking he was a fool. “You’re good with talking to others I think,” he finally sputtered. The pale she-wolf was still young and had room to explore the depths of those skills.

“Hey! Maybe I could be the first one? You could coach me?”

The inkwell’s tail beat against the dirt at this idea.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
As she fought against losing consciousness—though she did not fight the urge to sink against Atlas—Meerkat wondered if he found that aspiration absurd. She wasn't even an adult yet! How could she possibly coach anyone, save maybe for younger pups?

But not only did he laud her choice, he asked her to coach him. She blinked rapidly, then sat up tentatively. "Really?" she asked, her voice thready. Her own tail swept the ground, occasionally crossing paths with his. She willed them to intertwine.

It meant so much that he believed in her, though her earlier skepticism reared its ugly head again as she queried, albeit lightly, "What could I possibly show you? You're a great hunter... probably an awesome guardian too... I mean, you're Hydra's son. I—"

Hol'up, did that make them related? Her heart nearly sank as the realization smacked her upside the head. A beat later, she remembered: they didn't share blood. She sighed in relief and let her head sink to rest on Atlas's shoulder once more.
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
The look of surprise on her features was not one he had expected.

Atlas’ brow creased just slightly; a thoughtful expression having washed over his features. She had not expected him to offer this… Meerkat even went on to state that she did not believe there were many things she could coach him in, stating that he was a talented hunter and likely a guardian – that he was Hydra’s son. And suddenly guilt seemed to sweep through him like wildfire. Try as he might, the shade could not swallow the lump that had formed in the back of his throat.

How could Meerkat think so highly of him?

“Of course, really,” he confirmed after a moment of crippling fear and doubt. Then, he offered her an uncertain smile. Something bashful had blossomed in his stomach. “And I’m really only good at tracking. It’s a lot of fun… to try to see if you can think like prey and follow them where they’re most comfortable,” the shade went on, and it’s a fair solitary task. “Osiris is the guardian,” this was uttered in a way that seemed nearly fearful. It was as though if he admitted such things to the girl, she would cease to find him interesting at all.

“I’ve been thinking of becoming a stargazer myself,” Atlas then confided in his companion.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
He reminded her that she could show him a thing or two about the stars, via the limited expertise passed on by her dad. Briefly, Meerkat wondered if she should introduce the two of them. Maybe after they'd exhausted her own knowledge of the subject, she would do just that. For now, she wanted to keep Atlas all to herself.

"Well, that works out perfectly! I'll show you what I know to help you toward your trade, which will in turn help me toward mine," Meerkat pointed out with a slightly hazy grin. "Symbiotic," she stage whispered, flailing a paw theatrically in the air and chuckling.

"And when I run out of intel for you, I can always just cheer you on in all your hopes and dreams. I mean, that's the definition of coaching, right?" she tacked on after a moment, tipping her head back, her cheek brushing against the swarthy fur of his neck.

With her head tipped like this, she couldn't help but notice the sun was finally beginning to sink toward the west. The horizon was already growing deeper and darker in color. And though it would be a while yet before night truly fell, Meerkat could already peep the moon, a nearly full orb hovering low in the sky.

"Atlas, look," she breathed, "I think it's full. No, wait, it was full last night, which means... waning... something." She struggled to remember all the phases Phox had gone over with her sometime in the past. New and full were so easy, though the in-between stages were a bit trickier. "Waning gibbons? Yeah, I think that's it."
spear of the sun
263 Posts
Ooc — Bo
It was overwhelming to think that she would want to cheer him on. He didn't believe there was anything that couldn't be accomplished with the warmth that she offered to help carry him through. If he had understood the symbiotic remark, he might have argued against it. After all, the dark yearling didn't believe that there were many things he could realistically offer her. This in itself felt like a sour thing to think about during such a good moment. His mind seemed to race away from him with ease, and the shade wished that he could end it before he became carried away. 

The weight of the dark boy's eyelids was becoming hard to fight. The warmth of the brown-eyed girl at his side and the soft words that were shared. He looked to the moon when she spoke of it, but her words sounded more like gibberish than actual words. Regardless, Atlas felt a quiet peacefulness that had settled the flipping of his stomach and the running in his head. 

"Do you like to make up stories?"

The question was hazily spoken, weighted by sleepy tones. He had daydreamed about the stars and the moon, conjuring up fantasy-like images in his head about where they had come from and what their purpose was then. He imagined that Meerkat would have been a delightful storyteller if it was something she had put her mind to. She seemed like she had a good sense of reading people around her and adjusting the energy she gave off. Atlas thought that she would probably have done well with younger pups, and he thought immediately of Altair and his siblings. He wondered if Meerkat could coach them too.