Whitefish River We stand by the notion that anything goes
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Private 
@Ira
going to be vague about the twins leaving if that comes up since that thread is still in progress

She was thankful to have plenty of things to keep her busy lately. She had spent most of the morning cleaning out old plants and replacing them with new ones while also chasing the kids around. When Malila and Mohe grew sleepy in the early afternoon, she left them snuggled against Emrik and found herself with a lull in things to keep her occupied, and she had too much on her mind to sleep with the family. 

So instead she sought out her friend, curious to see what she was up to and eager to spend some time with her. The healer followed the river through the territory, searching out a fresh scent trail that would lead her to the Count and hoping she would find her not busy.
lift me higher, let me look at the sun
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Likewise, Ira had found balance in her duties once more finding comfort in the way they kept her busy. Of course, she'd always make time for her kids, but they were also getting older and found more interest in venturing through the territory alone than spending time with their mom. Though for once she was not along the borders, but digging at a cache to check on the meals stored away and rid it of anything that was too old to her liking. They had gained more wolves interested in the borders and protecting, something she would never complain about, though it did mean she needed to focus her efforts elsewhere.
#DAA520 , pawprintIra's Playlist  3/20*, * = incomplete threads
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
It didn't take long to lock on to the Count's trail. It lead her deeper in the territory, which Speedy thought was different; she expected to find her friend patrolling the borders, but she shrugged and continued to follow the trail until it led her to one of their caches. Ira was there, digging through its contents, she assumed to take out anything that was no longer good. 

The healer chuffed to alert the other woman of her presence and stopped on the other side of the cache. Hey, Ira, she greeted. How are you? Do you need help? She looked down at the Count's work, an amiable smile curving her lips; She didn't mind helping if it was needed.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
The Count glanced to the sound of approaching footsteps followed by a chuff to see her friend bounding over. Ira would return one of her own after dropping a carcass to the side as she turned her attention back to the hole before her, Only if you want to carry a rotten carcass? She gave a huffed chuckle as she worked at scrapping some dirt back into place to cover what was still edible. Luckily if the healer took her up on her offer there were only two or three small bodies assorted to the side. I'm doing fine. Is there any reason for the check-up or did you just want to tag along?
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Whatever you need, she replied, shrugging. She didn't mind carrying a rotten carcass from the cache; she was not the squeamish type. 

At the Count's question, Speedy smiled. Do I need a reason to spend time with my friend? she asked. Although it was true she did enjoy spending time with Ira, there was more to her visit—something she had been curious about. She might have pried earlier had she had more free time on her paws, but now was as good a time as any. I did want to ask you about something, she admitted a moment later. 

But first, where would you like to take these? the healer asked, pointing her nose toward the spoiled food.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ira half-suppressed the smirk that threatened to spread. Of course Speedy didn't need a reason to talk to her, but that didn't change that she had nailed it on the head. You know that's not true, but that doesn't change that there is something. Hopefully not something bad, but given her friend's playful response Ira wasn't too concerned.

The Count gestured towards the river with her head as she pushed one of the bodies towards the other, Past the river. If something comes along for a free meal I don't want it wandering past our borders for more. The roan woman scooped up what was left of the discard pile before turning in the direction she had specified assuming she needn't say more for Speedy to follow.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Speedy chuckled. Of course Ira had figured out her reason for seeking her out, the healer was not always good at keeping her intentions to herself. Plus the Count was very intuitive, which Speedy thought made her the good leader that she was. 

Speedy nodded and grabbed her own carcass, following after Ira. She moved a little more slowly, weighed down more by the left overs of a deer than most others would be, but she would issue no complaints. She was more than capable of carrying the rotten meat out of the territory, it would just take her a little longer

When they both had reached the right spot, Speedy dropped her carcass down on the ground and looked to Ira. She assumed they would just leave them here, but she looked to her friend for guidance on what they should do next. In the meantime, she continued their conversation. I couldn't help but notice...something between you and Hieronymous the last time I was with the both of you, she told the Count. It was a subtle shift in the dynamic, one that might have been missed by someone less perceptive than the healer, but she knew there was definitely something there. Is there something going on between you two? She wasted no time beating around the bush; she was much too excited about the idea of her friend finding someone that could offer her more than just friendship or companionship between packmates. She certainly deserved it.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ira didn't mind the slow pace, it was still faster than her making multiple trips to clear the rotting prey. A silence fell over the two as they journeyed past their borders, though that was expected given that their maws were a bit full. Speedy was quick to fix that however as soon as the task was done. The Count had just turned to head back when her friend spoke up, a brow raising as she glanced at the healer.

Something going on? The question rose a chuckle from the roan woman as she walked, I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. As far as she had seen, they've acted the same. Nothing had really changed aside from the Constable's temporary disappearance. In all honesty, the only that that had really changed was it was now she who was making den visits. Of course, from where she stood, Ira had been completely blinded to what was so apparent to the healer.  We've both been fine aside from his injuries, though they seem to be healing nicely with someone's help. It was small praise for all that Speedy had done, but by now her track record was practically spotless.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Ira acted as if she had no idea what she was talking about—except it wasn't really an act. Speedy could tell she really had no idea what was going on, or that maybe she didn't want to know. The healer raised an eyebrow at the words, not missing how her friend tried then to change the subject to how well Hieronymous was healing. I'm glad he's healing well; it's my job to make sure he does, she said in response, dodging the compliment as usual. She didn't need thanks or praise for her work; seeing her packmates heal from their ailments was better than any kind words. Plus, she was the pack's healer, and it was her job to help. 

The Chamberlain gave Ira a look of playful suspicion. You really don't feel anything for Hieronymous? she asked. Like something more than what you might feel towards a friend or packmate? She sighed and shook her head a little. From what I saw, it seemed like you both might be feeling something more, but I suppose I could be mistaken. She wasn't mistaken—she knew what she saw, but she didn't want to come out and call the Count a liar, especially if she was blinded by her own walls.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Ah, there it was. The usual rebuttal towards her skill. Of course, it was Speedy's job, just as her's was to protect the wolves within their claim, but that did not take away from her hard work or extraordinary skills. By now though, Ira knew there was no fighting her on the matter. The healer would just continue to dodge any compliments and carry on like she did nothing.

The Count's change in the conversation did not last as Speedy quickly turned the subject back to Hieronymous. She wasn't entirely sure why she seemed so insistent on checking their relationship. It's not like Ira was a secretive person, if they were romantically involved in some way she wouldn't be one to hide it in the shadows. The thought of her romantically involved with anyone though was laughable. Sure she had a few crushes but...she knew nothing would never go anywhere with them.

We're close now, but really, that's it. You're my friend too, there's nothing strange about that. Though Speedy was a woman and that instantly put a spin on things. Ira was aware the Constable had feelings for her in the past and potentially still, but he promised to keep the touchiness to a minimum and respect her wishes. Perhaps that was where things felt different to the healer, You know he confessed to me before. And she had turned him down of course.
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
I wasn't pointing out anything strage, she countered. I was just saying it seemed like more than that to me. Just because they were friends, didn't mean there couldn't be deeper feelings there. 

When Ira informed her of the Constable's past feelings, it made Speedy consider that maybe that had been what she was picking up on. She couldn't help but smile a little, though. I did not know that, she offered. And you don't return those feelings at all? Even now? Speedy thought they would make a good couple. Plus, she really wanted to see her friend happy, and even if the Count acted as though a relationship was the last thing on her mind, the Chamberlain couldn't help but feel like maybe that wasn't exactly the case. She, of all wolves, deserved such a bond in her life, of that much, Speedy was sure.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
For a moment Ira allowed herself to ponder upon her friend's insights. Perhaps they had been closer now, but the dread that came from her interactions with Hieronymous has all but disappeared, if not disappeared completely. He was a bit much when he first arrived, overly chatty and touchy in a way that the Count couldn't help but feel agitated when he was around. They had talked though, and for once Ira was able to properly establish boundaries with the knight.

The roan woman couldn't help but chuckle when she was inquired as to if she returned the feelings or not. At the time of his confession, she really hadn't, but there were other layers to her answer at the time. Relationships never bode well with her, not to mention what used to be low social skills. Maybe it was she who had changed with time. Many wolves had come into her life since leaving her homelands and as a result, she had let the walls she built crumble, just a bit.

That's a complicated answer. At the time there was no question, he pissed me off. Honestly it was a surprise that anyone didn't know that he had confessed. A serious confession, sure, but the man practically called to the heavens how he adored her when he was just a newcomer. I like him now that I know him, though I don't think in the same manner. We hold some similar values and he's kind, but it wouldn't work out. The thing about assumptions is you could never be too sure. Ira had too many walls, walls that even friends struggled to breakthrough. She was very guarded and opening herself up on such a level of intimacy was something she struggled with even when she was interested in Evergreen.

To be completely honest, I don't think I could ever be in a relationship. I'm a hard wolf to be with and I'm not very good at opening up to others. It was a reality she had accepted long ago, but the thought no longer bothered her. She had two beautiful daughters now and a supporting pack with friends. What more could she gain by taking a mate?
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
It seemed she had no solid reason to explain why she had no interest in the Constable. She only said they wouldn't work out, and Speedy had to wonder how she formed that assumption. From what the healer saw, they made a very good team. They each had qualities to balance out the other—his laid back and playful nature worked well with her stoic, pragmatic one. She thought it was also why they were a good team to lead the pack. 

And to hear her say she didn't think she could be in a relationship made the healer sad. Speedy shook her head. That was just not true at all. Ira, she said softly. You deserve love just as much as anyone else. The right wolf will not mind taking the time to earn your trust and chip away at your walls. Honestly, she thought it was more fear speaking than anything else, but she saw no reason to point that out. You are not a hard wolf to be with—you are strong and confident and know what you want, and some men just aren't confident enough to handle that. That does not mean there is anything wrong with you. She hated that her friend viewed herself in such a way. And for what it's worth, I'm willing to bet that Hieronymous appreciates all those things about you. She was not going to let that one go. It seemed he had never had a problem with Ira's strength, and the healer didn't think the Count should be so quick to overlook that.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Perhaps... Truthfully she didn't feel as cold as she had once been. Maybe she was more bearable, after all, she had made a few friends along the way, though would Hiero have moved on by now? Was she even ready to consider settling down again? It seemed that every time she was willing to open her heart something bad happened. It seemed better to keep herself closed off and save Hiero from whatever horrible thing that was bound to come his way.

You flatter me...I just fear something will happen again. I'm not sure if I'm ready to face the potential of loss once more. The Count huffed a sigh, it almost hurt to admit. Maybe she was a coward too afraid to even try. Had she been lying to herself all this time?