The Heartwood how do you mend a broken jack-o'-lantern? with a pumpkin patch!
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
Tucked in the northeastern corner of Firefly Glen, Meerkat discovered an denuded wasteland. She didn't venture into it, simply sniffed around the edges of the decimated forest. She only knew what must have happened here per her recent conversation with @Maia and their visit to The Sentinels. Meerkat wondered if anyone had lived here; had they gone up in smoke, like Donnelaith?

She turned away from that morbid thought and the burnt forest itself, although a glimpse of something colorful caught her eye at the last second. Venturing toward it, Meerkat found something strange growing right on the edge of the destruction, as if nourished by it. The orange fruits struck quite a contrast with the charred earth. There were many of them, of varying sizes, and when she bent to sniff at the closest one, she found the smell pleasant.

In fact, she found it strangely appetizing. Without really thinking about it, she sank her teeth into the gourd. It took a bit of pressure to force her fangs through the tough peel. When they punctured, she was able to bite a chunk out of the pumpkin. This exposed the tender interior, full of stringy pulp and white seeds. She licked these up with relish, devouring the whole thing down to the rinds before rolling off her feet and groaning at how full she felt.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
Every so often would she wander further and further, before heading back. Retrace steps- she couldn't imagine Mira would go too far. Though now that Firefly Glen was being taken by Osiris, she had no need to look in that direction for the young child. So further did Desdemona go, to the Heartwood.

Though upon the search for the other, she instead found another young one. If memories served they were Towhee's daughter, though the guard never officially met her so. The other was surrounded by Pumpkins, and especially so was tasting them. Desdemona rose an eye, to the gluttony being witnessed.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She couldn't bring herself to regret her indulgence, no matter how much her stomach hurt now. The pumpkin had tasted absolutely delicious! As she sprawled there, digesting and waiting for the discomfort to ease, she decided she needed to share her find. She would definitely take one back to @Bronco. But if she took one to him, she should probably grab one for @Fennec as well, since they were spending a lot of time together. And if she was going back and forth, she might as well take a bunch of them back to the glen as a treat for the entire pack!

As that plan quickly took root and blossomed in her head, someone watched the overstuffed Meerkat daydream. After a while, she turned her head to the side and finally took notice of Desdemona. "Oh!" she said, rolling over and sitting up, her distended belly lurching, "Hey... Desdemona, right?" Her tail waved over the ground, quickly getting tangled in the pumpkins' vines.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
She nodded in confirmation, "greetings." The woman addressed politely to Meerkat. While the two never officially met, she was known. Still young, but a learner from Firebirds, and often with Bronco. Though she too, joined Osiris into the Glen alongst with a few others. In due to this, her own rank had rose from such absences.

It was undeserving, and Desdemona only reluctantly accepted it. There would have to be a talk with the Queen later, about lowering her rank on the mountain.

"You are eating well, I see." The guard commented by the surroundments of pumpkins.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Her lips twitched into a sheepish grin at Desdemona's observation. "Yeah, have you ever tried one? They're so good!" Meerkat patted her belly and laughed. "I'm going to take the rest back to the rendezvous site so the others can try 'em, I think. Do you know what they're called?" Not that it mattered, yet surely there was a name for these strange, delicious and strangely delicious fruits (or were they vegetables?).
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
She shook her head, "they are Pumpkins." While Desdemona knew of the names, she did not know of their taste. Majority of the time she saw only eating as fuel, and did not take the time to enjoy the more delicious side. Though geese, were something the guard in particular enjoyed.

"Do you need help?" There was quite a lot, after all.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
"Pumpkins!" Meerkat repeated giddily. It was such a perfectly silly word. Her tail became even more tangled in the winding vines as she pondered Desdemona's offer. Normally, she might've taken her up on it easily. But this time, "No, but thank you! I want to do it on my own. I know it'll be a lot of work and walking back and forth, but I don't mind." She rather enjoyed the thought of single-handedly masterminding a party for her new/old pack mates. Meerkat just hoped Desdemona understood.

Finally taking notice of her tangled tail, Meerkat took a moment to work it free before standing. "Ooogh," she moaned. She could hear her stomach's contents sloshing. "I definitely—" Before she could complete that sentence, a huge burp erupted from her mouth. "Ahhh, that's much better."
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
Desdemona definitely didn't know how to feel about Meerkat. She looked cute, but did not have manners that she was so used to the mountain-folk. Many of the Ostrega's were quite elegant, as they were imposing warriors of the mountain. Bronco was not 'elegant' to say, but he never burped, more was just a bundle of friendliness and sunshine, in a literal sense that he sparkled sometimes.

"Very well," was all she could say to it all. With the same stoicism as normal, she was just like a robot.

"You are joining Firefly Glen?" she then asked.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
It occurred to her to tack on an, "Excuse me." She shot Desdemona another sheepish smile when she responded with, "Very well." She spoke so eloquently and without affectation, which Meerkat admired if she didn't quite aspire to match her elegance.

"Yeah," she replied to the query, "that's where I'll be throwing my little party. But you and the rest of Moonspear are welcome too, of course! You're staying there, right?" She remembered Bronco mentioning her and how they'd both assumed she was a fixture there.
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
"I have not been told otherwise." As a guard of Moonspear, she would only move to their accordance. Otherwise she was to stay at the mountain and guard, perhaps occasionally come down to help Firefly Glen's borders, but otherwise remained within the mountains scope.

"That is nice of you." Desdemona commented, finding that perhaps a party could ease the tension of information that she and Osiris had gained a while back.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,909 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Desdemona confirmed her allegiance to Moonspear proper, though she didn't have much more to say other than a few noncommittal words in response to Meerkat's invitation. The youth hoped to see her there—and would tell her as much—as well as everyone else in both packs.

Now that she felt a little less sick to her stomach, she announced, "Well, I'm gonna get to work! Thanks, Desdemona, I hope I see you there." An unceremonious hiccup followed this declaration, prompting a sheepish grin from the youngster before she turned away and rubbed her paws together, ready to take on this seasonal task.

Thanks for the thread! :)
Delta
grind me down
495 Posts
Ooc — Cyprin
Guardian
Away
With a nod, she bid farwell to the previous Firebird, once Moonspearian, and finally, a Firefly. Not knowing too much of Meerkat, she seemed like a rather lovely wolf regardless. Small and cute- something different from the cooling mountain of monsterous wolves. Perhaps it was a good thing, she went to the glen instead.