Silver Moraine Trouble keepin' up communication
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
All Welcome 
aw, but maybe @Taikon if he would be over this far

By the time she reached the barren stretch of land, the sun had started to light the shadows of the sky and turn it pink. The air was cold, especially here, but she enjoyed that. Nothing got as cold as back home, and she was glad for the break from the summer heat; it did not mix well with her thick, northern coat. 

She paused to sniff the ground for nothing in particular, mostly just out of habit, blowing breath out of her nostrils in a steamy cloud of vapor that dissipated just as quickly as it formed. There was nothing of interest here—no recent prey or scent of a stranger close by. She found the same when she lifted her nose up to draw in the air above her. 

She snorted and then moved on, resigned to the fact that she wouldn't find much here; at least it was quiet—almost peaceful. It was early still, and that meant there was less of a chance of running into someone, which Taki was totally fine with. She preferred to be alone most of the time anyway.
Inuttuk
Common

486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
I realize we still have an open thread but I'll wrap it in next post :D
The land he had once known so well felt more lifeless than ever. The emptiness in the wind put a chill in him, and the lone male shivered as he walked his familiar pathway.
It was the first time Taikon had come back to the Taiga since leaving Whitebark Stream. He had no reason for doing it other than having nowhere else to be. Part of him had hoped that as he moved closer to the old pack territory, he might find some sign that Juniper and her family had returned. That limited ray of light quickly vanished with the cold air. The prince walked on, idly listening to the cries of the occasional bird overhead.
As he sniffed the air once more to check for something to eat, he found instead something entirely unexpected. With a quick pace, he seemed to awaken from an odd slumber of the mind as he loped along the new trail. His eyes were alert and expression hopeful.
Takiyok? he said in disbelief as her figure came into view. The strange colour of the sky bounced off of her coat to give her a very pretty pink halo. Some time ago, he had looked for her in the Sunspires to no avail.
relatively thin from illness (Apr 13, 2020)
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
nw! whenever you have time, no rush or anything <3

Takiyok?
She heard her name from behind her, and she froze. When she turned to see who was calling out to her, she was surprised to find Taikon trotting towards her. Of all the wolves she might have found out here, she definitely minded him the least—she was interested to see what he was up to now, and she had found comfort in his company the last time they had spoken. Maybe it had just been nice to vent to someone who didn't know her, but he had also been a good listener.

When he was close enough, she dipped her head in greeting. Taikon, she said quietly. What brings you out here? Had he still been wandering the wilds on his own? A quick inspection of his scent told her that he did not belong to a pack, so she had to wonder what his plans were for the winter. He seemed capable of managing on his own, but that didn't mean it would be easy or preferable.
Inuttuk
Common

486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
As she dipped her head, he pushed closer to her to briefly place his nose near her muzzle. They did not touch. He backed away after this greeting. It was something non-standard for him — he had learned this type of behaviour from people like Lunaria. Takiyok, though they had met only once, was someone he trusted quite comfortably.

Good question, he said plainly, smirking as he looked up to the sky, as though it had the answer for her. He smiled and breathed out a heavy sigh. There was a pack near here at Whitebark Stream that I dabbled in for a bit; they left due to flooding and I wanted to see if they had returned, he explained. He made a face, pulling back the corners of his lips. It was clear that indeed they had not returned.

As per usual, he switched the subject immediately onto her. I looked for you at Sawtooth, but there was nobody, he said. To be honest, he had worried a bit about her and her family. Did the Saints drive your family out? It had been what he had been most afraid of.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She permitted his wordless greeting, remaining still until he moved back. Normally, she would have tensed at the closeness of someone who was not her pack or family, but she felt no discomfort with his proximity—he already seemed so familiar to her, which was strange but not unwanted.  

Surprise lifted here eyebrows as he told her of the pack he had joined. But it seemed that circumstances beyond anyone's control had forced the pack apart, something Taki was all too familiar with. I can't help but be surprised that you joined a pack at all, she said first. You seemed so against the idea the last time we spoke. She wondered what had changed his mind. Had his plan for the cold months been to return there and and join them again? 

She found herself surprised again to hear that he had looked for her in the spire that once belonged to Sagtannet. And the mention of the Saints had her frowning. Yes, we decided it was safer for the pack to claim somewhere far from them. Considering they had threatened her daughter, she felt more like ripping them to shreds, but she hadn't been in any condition to do so at the time, and so moving had been what was best for all of them. She hesitated a few moments before speaking again. Were you looking for me for any particular reason? she asked, studying him curiously. Had he come just to talk, or had he come to join her pack?
Inuttuk
Common

486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Ah yes, it was a woman who convinced me, naturally, he explained, though it told an incorrect story even with that short explanation. Aphrodite had indeed convinced him to join her pack, but they had hardly been romantically inclined despite the healer's efforts. Taikon was tempted to relay she is dead now but held himself back. That was too much information for a person he hadn't seen in forever. He didn't much feel like breaking down in tears as he had with Luna.
At the next bit, a deep frown lined his white features. The Saints were mortal enemies. Were he of a stronger type, he might have sought some sort of vengeance on them. He certainly wanted to hurt them, but he just didn't have the energy for hatred anymore. He had lost a significant amount of weight during his journey in the Wilds alone. Though he had long been a lone wolf, the emotional toil had started to take a physical toll on him.
Uh, he fumbled. Well, the floods destroyed the area Whitebark held, and everyone dispersed. I don't know, I guess I was worried. The Saints were... he thought briefly of what Donovan had done to Aphrodite. They aren't good people. I wanted to make sure you were okay, the prince said in earnest.
Are you... okay?
Was she was still unhappy where she was? Perhaps the move had given her new perspective and changed her mind.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Taki raised an eyebrow. I see. Well, that makes sense, she said with a small shrug. Women had a way of persuading men do to things they once thought they would never do; the same could be said of men to women as well, or just matters of the heart in general. Some were more easily swayed by the idea of a romantic bond. But she wondered where this woman was now. She was curious but not enough to pry for more than he was offering.

So he had come to check on her; she wasn't quite sure how to feel about that. He had gone out of his way to track her pack down to make sure she was okay. She hardly needed the concern—she had been worrying about herself for a long time, but she couldn't say she minded it all that much. They sound like a pack that I want me and mine far away from, she told him. She was grateful they had moved when they did, before there were any issues that might follow them. As for his question, she hesitated to answer, looking away as she considered her words. Yes, I am okay, she assured him, although it wasn't the complete truth. She still struggled with what she was even doing in Sagtannet, other than being a mother, but she still hadn't figured out exactly how to change things. Her leaving to start a pack with her brother was on hold indefinitely; he had his family and the loss of his mate to deal with, and she didn't think now was a good time for him to be worrying about recruiting and claiming new land for their family. His children needed as much stability as possible. 

So she was in some strange purgatory it felt like, and she had just been drifting through the days with no real purpose.
Inuttuk
Common

486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Taikon had asked her exactly the same question the last time they had talked. Her response suggested that she was well enough, but he guessed that the issues she had brought up before were still there. He wondered how her son was doing, wondered if Takiyok had spoken to him about the inner struggle that lived in her heart. Me too, he said quietly. He had no direction to his own life. It was something that had been pretty consistent before he had been at Whitebark, but there was an emptiness there now where before there was not. There was a hole in his heart that he didn't know how to fill. Maybe it had always been there, but he was only now noticing it.
Casually, he started walking in the direction she'd been heading. So, where's home now? Sagtannet had clearly moved. He wondered if she had been heading home when he found her. Is it nicer than Sawtooth? It was a question to pass the time, but he was curious if she was happy there.
Probably not.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Taki raised a skeptical eyebrow when he stated that he was also okay. Her gaze roamed over his too-thin frame before settling back on his weary expression. She didn't say anything at first, just began to walk when he did, looking from him to the rocky path in front of them. She lifted her head in the direction of home. A mountain just north of here, she told him. I actually prefer it. Even if it's proximity to the glacier caused a twinge of sadness in her heart. 

She paused only a few moments, hoping to say something before he changed the subject again. You don't seem okay, she pushed. Normally, she would have let it go, but for some reason she felt like it needed to be said. When is the last time you had something decent to eat? she asked. Have you been on your own since your pack left? It appeared that way, but she didn't want to assume. She wasn't sure how he would feel about her prying, so she prepared for a myriad of responses—mostly for him to shrug off her concern because that was probably what she would do; her stubborn pride often got in the way of her self-preservation.
Inuttuk
Common

486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Taikon nodded once. Nova Peak, he said. It was possible that the Redtail ridges had recovered enough to sustain a pack of wolves, but he doubted it. The last time he had been over that way it was still a bit of a mess. No other mountains he could think of were in the area. The prince hadn't visited the peak since he'd met Easy, the coywolf who had been so disinterested in him that she had managed to turn him off.
Takiyok unexpectedly returned his declaration. Like a mother concerned for a child, she pointed her finger and demanded more. He hadn't been sleeping well. Things were bad. He figured this could potentially be his last winter if it was a bad one, but he felt apathetic to this impending doom. Still, as she asked when he had last eaten properly, his nose twitched.
Yes, I've been on my own, he said calmly. It was his default. He didn't like it. He felt a bit of angry heat in his ears and a tightness in his chest, but walked on. The faeries at Seelie Court offered me a place, but it just wasn't the right move for me, he said, remembering how offended Caw had been when he had openly rejected the offer. He was no faerie.
He didn't bother answering when he'd last eaten, as he could imagine that was obvious from his physical condition. He wasn't even sure how bad he looked.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Of course he had been on his own; she hadn't even needed to ask that because she knew the answer before he offered it. His non-answer regarding when he had eaten last was answer enough along with the way he looked. But instead of saying anymore on it, she held any further words for now; she wished she hadn't said it at all. She had no real right to scold him for his assumed self destruction.

The mention of faeries from a pack called Seelie Court caught her attention. I don't think I've heard of them, she said, instead of adding on to her early words. What about them wasn't right for you? she asked solely out of curiosity. She also wondered what fearies were, but that question could wait for now.

Regardless of his answer, she couldn't help but reach out again. You don't have to be alone, she said gently. You are welcome to join me in Sagtannet; the pack is small but strong. She was unsure if he would accept, but she couldn't let them part ways this time without offering it. He might think they were also not right for him, and that was his prerogative, but she hoped he would at least consider it.
Inuttuk
Common

486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
They're over at Hushed Willows, to the west, he made a vague gesture with his snout. To her question, he wasn't sure exactly how to explain without relaying everything he'd experienced. He decided to go for the most obvious. They seem like good people, don't get me wrong, but a pack that refers to a leader as a faerie Queen isn't exactly something I trust, he explained. It was difficult to really get at. He was sure that Lumiya was also a good person, he simply did not trust a monarchy like that.
You don't have to be alone, she said. He looked at her. He felt tense. He felt defensive. But he trusted her, and so he simply looked forward, staring at the ancient path they walked upon as she offered her own home to him. He swallowed. A long period of silence passed while he dipped his head, idly sniffing at nothing.
Taikon continued to look forward as he answered, finding eye contact with her impossible. So, you think I should come back with you so we can be miserable together, instead of me being miserable alone. His voice was very serious. Finally, he looked at her, and his dejected expression morphed into a curvy, silly smile. I like it, he laughed, finding the black humour a nice little spark in an otherwise meaningless day.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She knew of Hushed Willows from all her time living in the mountains, but she hadn't been aware of a pack settling there. To be fair, she hadn't invested the energy she once had to exploring the territories surrounding her own. She didn't blame him for his reluctance to trust; she often felt the same way. What exactly is a faerie? she asked. She didn't think she had ever heard any wolf refer to themselves as that word before. 

He was silent at first, for so long that she thought he might not answer at all, leaving her to draw her own conclusions about his answer. He kept his gaze from meeting hers, but she studied him anyway, searching for any clue to what he might be feeling about her offer. His answer took her by surprise, mostly because she was arrogant enough to believe that she had hidden her discontent from him and convinced him that she really was doing okay. She wasn't quite sure how to answer then, his ability to see past her stoic front having her doubt any thoughts she had to try and deny that she was miserable—and maybe miserable was a strong word, but she definitely wouldn't consider herself happy. But then he smiled and laughed, forcing a playful smirk to curve her own lips. Something like that, was her teasing answer. She raised an eyebrow. Is that a yes then?
Inuttuk
Common

486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Faeries. He rolled his eyes. They're small mythical critters with wings. The way they look varies by culture, he answered. Why a wolf would choose to call themselves after such a thing was completely bizarre to Taikon. He only knew of the legendary creatures because the Farukans had been so obsessed with collecting cultural information from other packs. It was concerning to him that it had been adopted in this way.

Thankfully, Takiyok found the humour in his half-yes response. She probed him for a real answer. He grinned, eyeing her mischievously. He mirrored her expression by also raising an eyebrow. Yes, my faerie queen, I submit! He made fun of Seelie Court to get rid of the nasty tension he was feeling at joining another pack. He feared that Takiyok would be doomed by him doing so, even though this wasn't a rational fear. Every person he had ever grown close to seemed to die if he went with them. Lunaria hadn't died yet, probably because he hadn't chosen to follow her to whatever pastures she was at. I'll come with, he clarified, nodding and offering an awkward smile. He felt nervous about it, but knew that there would not be a better place for him to go. He respected Takiyok. He felt good following her.
Who runs Sagtannet? He asked it knowing that he would need to convince said person or people that he wasn't a complete monster.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Small mythical creatures with wings. Interesting. She unknowingly shared in his confusion over why anyone would refer to themselves as that. To each their own, she supposed. 

She shook her head and gave him a faux look of approval. See, you would have fit in perfectly, she assured him with a playful smirk. When he did actually agree, her smile became more genuine and pleased. His next question was only logical, and Taki nodded before Answering. Mahler and Wylla are the leaders, she told Taikon. I have known Mahler a long time; we led Diaspora together before we merged with another pack to become Sagtannet, she explianed—but then he already knew that part of the story. 

She tilted her nose in the direction of Sagtannet then. We can head there now if you'd like, she suggested.
Inuttuk
Common

486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Followup thread at Sagtannet?
He laughed, feeding off of her sarcastic energy. She seemed pleased, truly, when he agreed to join her. His heartbeat picked up speed. After a moment, he could feel it thumping harshly in his chest, but he did his best to ignore it. Life decisions like this were a big deal, but his life was shit. Changing up the shit was not a bad thing, regardless of whatever anxiety it might cause.
As Takiyok explained, Taikon nodded. Ah, right, he said, remembering what she had told him of her time in need. While the prince was unfamiliar with Diaspora, he trusted that she would not blindly follow Mahler just because she knew him. She might not have been perfectly happy at Sagtannet, but things were definitely okay since she had bothered to follow them all the way to Nova from the Sunspires.
Let's do it. Show me your worst, a simper curved upon his face. He felt odd. Nervousness was present, but he trusted her. If he was going to live, might as well do it around someone he liked.
948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
yes! i'll get it up now

She nodded at his words as she began to guide them toward Sagtannet. She thought he might, at the very least, tell her that he needed to think about it first, which she would have understood, so she was happy that he asked to be taken to her home right away. It's not too far from here, she told him, even though he had already confirmed that he knew where Nova Peak was. 

In regards to her worst, she smirked again, raising a challenging eyebrow as she spoke. I'm not sure you could handle my worst, she teased, looking back to the path in front of them as it started to fade and become browning grass. Although her worst used to be a lot worse. 

I think you'll like it there. It beats being alone all anyway, she pointed out. And there was safety and food, both of which should hopefully put weight on his slender form. And if you don't then there are no obligations to stay. She hoped that would ease any uncertainty about joining. 

fee free to wrap up here
Inuttuk
Common

486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
:D
Taikon could feel his body protest at the change. His skin shook mildly as he anticipated excitement. He followed alongside her, trusting that she knew the route better than he did. The prince had been to Nova Peak before, but it had been a rare case where he'd had any cause to venture anywhere near it.
He grinned a toothy smile as she joked, wondering about her worst and what it looked like. She had a calmness to her. It felt a bit, maybe even a lot, like general apathy. It was still difficult for him to imagine her as much more than a calm and reasonably kind person. She'd listened to him once upon a time, and now she had offered him a home.
As Takiyok spoke to ease whatever discomfort he might have about joining a new pack, he licked his lips casually. Although he was used to being alone, he knew that she was right. It was growing less and less likely for him to survive each winter on his own as he grew older. Apart from this practical aspect, he liked her company. He wanted more of it. His tone grew serious as he looked at her. Thank you, he said, his voice slow and deep. He gave a nod of respect as they walked on. He felt dead grass beneath his feet. The cool air suddenly felt more invigorating than it did cold.
He hoped this was a good move.