Firefly Glen i'll be right here
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Pack Formation 
@Osiris maybe? :D

Charles had decided he'd stick around here for now; he could always just leave. Apparently that was a thing you could do. It hadn't ever occurred to him before, or maybe he would've left Easthollow and his mother earlier. He hadn't seen Osiris yet since his arrival here though a part of him hoped he'd run into the pack's leader soon. Now Osiris wasn't just someone who lived in the other pack he was visiting, but someone who would be his leader. There was something interesting about that that Charles couldn't quite pinpoint.

He was at the Glen's borders and sniffed around. Finding Osiris' scents brought a shiver to his spine that left as quickly as it'd come and Charles lifted his head to pee on the ground there. Technically this might've already been marked by Osiris, but it gave Charles some sort of rush to mark his scent right over his leader-to-be's. The urge was just too big, even though a smaller side of his brain was throwing alarm bells all the while.
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
Thanks for starting!

Osiris was in the middle of patrolling when the sound of running urine caught his attention. Turning towards the noise, he quickly spotted a figure in the distance, which undeniably belonged to Charles. Despite his wariness towards the Easthollowian, it was heartening to see him lending a paw towards the pack's efforts; he hadn't expected much from the coywolf. 

"Charles!" he called, moving to clear the distance between them. "I didn't know that you fancied yourself a guardian!"
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Ah, damn, it felt so good to whiz all over Osiris' markings in this here spot. So good that he didn't really hear Osiris approach. At first Charles had been tentative and nervous, watching over his shoulder, but then after a few markings he kinda gave up on that, figuring that no one would catch him. It was amazing with how much shit you could get away -- he thought back to the time he'd unearthed a whole bunch of extra food and Leta had just asked him to spend time together instead -- and so he had begun to relax.

Until he heard Osiris' voice like, real close. In response, Charles lost his balance and as he fell over, he thought back to Brouhaha and what she would have to say about it. Probably nothing good. The coywolf fell right into his own fresh piss and he quickly scrambled to his feet and looked at Osiris, feeling annoyed. Yo, he said, kind of surprising himself that he would use the greeting usually reserved for more favoured wolves. Charles decided after a split second of annoyance that he should just pretend nothing had ever happened, and that he didn't have the scent of Osiris and himself rubbed all over his flank now.

Osiris had said something about him being a guardian. This wasn't anything Charles fancied, honestly. Uh, yeah, he said hastily, trying to compose himself. We need everyone to make this a pack, yeah? Not that he was actually helping out much, by re-marking places that'd already been marked, but hopefully Osiris wouldn't find out about that and he could keep his scored points with his leader-to-be.
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
Charles fumbled and took a tumble through the freshly-lain urine, but he seemed to recover as quickly as he had fallen. Osiris didn't care enough for Charles to ask if he were alright and instead chose to ignore the episode; he'd be fine. 

"I like your spirit," Osiris complimented in turn of Charles' reply. "You're right about that—want to join me on my patrol?" he asked, taking the other wolf's word at face value.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Phew, Osiris either hadn't noticed that he had fallen or didn't care enough. Such a difference from what Charles was used to, and it felt... Well, not really good. Which was puzzling, because mother or Brouhaha yelling at him and ordering him to clean up felt better than Osiris ignoring him, when that was precisely what Charles had wanted in the first place.

Before he got a chance to sort out these confusing contradictions, Osiris said that he liked Charles' spirit and asked him to join on a patrol. Charles thought back to that old geezer in Easthollow who'd taken him on a patrol mostly involuntary. Osiris was right the first time — he wasn't exactly a guardian type of wolf. The coywolf instead said, Sure, with a misplaced somewhat cheeky grin, because he didn't feel like saying 'no' was really an option. Besides, being close to Osiris was — well — tantalising in ways that Charles didn't really understand, but he knew that he liked it. Why'd you pick the Glen? he asked, presumably after Osiris started the patrol and Charles joined his side. Another bad decision; Charles hated small talk, and a second after asking the question he already wondered why he had even bothered to ask.
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
When Charles agreed, Osiris set off in a motivated clip; they had a lot of ground to cover and less day-light to explore now that autumn was upon them. They had the benefit of the stretch of land that Osiris had retraced when he had met Charles, but their claim was expansive, and they still had a way to go. 

"My family has hunted in this glen for generations," he replied with ease. "And I've kept watch over it since I was young." There was a time in Osiris' life where he kept guard over the glen from afar—watching the territory from a lofty ledge; it was ironic how he had seemingly come full-circle. "But it wasn't my decision alonge—my parents, Hydra and Dirge, came up with the idea for me to lead down here."
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
They set off together. Osiris explained that his family had used the land as hunting grounds. Charles wondered what it would be like to be Osiris. To grow up to parents who were leaders and handed you all these opportunities. His parents had even given him the opportunity to lead here. Osiris' life wasn't anything like his own, in any way. Charles couldn't imagine his mother ever being generous, even if she would've had things to give.

Cool cool, he said while he was trying to proceed his deep jealousy for Osiris mixing with all his other feelings. So it's kinda more like being Beta to the rock pack then, right? said Charles, eager to devalue Osiris' achievements in any way. He thought too late of how Osiris had disliked him calling it a rock before, but the word was already out now.
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
Their conversation had been going well—until Charles decided to stir the pot. A familiar inkling of dislike began to creep up his spine, but he suppressed the feeling with a sharp sigh. "Mountain," Osiris corrected with a click of his jaws; Charles knew better. 

"But, yes," he answered after giving his pelt a quick shake. "That'd technically make me a Beta—which is fine to me. This wilderness belongs to my parents, and I'm simply helping them achieve their goal."
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Right, moun-tain, Charles repeated, drawled out kinda slowly; not because he was trying to be disrespectful, but mostly because he kept forgetting about the word that he had learned on his last meeting with Osiris. Osiris then went on to explain that he was fine being Beta to his parents. It was kinda funny to Charles that Osiris didn't mind this, considering how interestingly prideful he was. Charles had little pride himself, but he recognised it in Osiris. Charles honestly didn't know what Leta saw in the guy. And yet — seeing him angry brought a strange feeling to Charles' gut every time.

He followed his nose to a spot along the borders that smelled interesting, and for good measure Charles decided to mark it by lifting his leg and peeing there. Just as he finished peeing he replied to Osiris, I guess some are made for to lead and some for to lick heels, right? His words were surprisingly casual and calm considering the provocative nature of his statement. That's cool. As a matter of fact, Charles said it as if he was really just listing statements and not trying to provoke anyone at all. And maybe he wasn't -- well -- it was complicated. He wasn't really trying to be provocative or mean, but Charles also felt a sting towards Osiris that he couldn't explain, and an aliveness whenever the normally so composed Osiris lost his patience and showed his fangs. Maybe it was the feeling of being in control by making Osiris lose his, or maybe it was something... more, but whatever it was, every statement that Charles made -- for example, he might've just said some wolves lead, and others are followers normally -- was made just a little bit.. bigger.

Besides, Charles hated parents or at least mothers, so he couldn't really imagine why anyone in the world would wanna stay under the heel of theirs; he was maybe also just a little bit curious about Osiris' response and what it might tell him. Charles didn't really realise that he was the exception and most wolves actually had good mothers.
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
"Good enough," Osiris thought as Charles repeated the word. "Yes," he praised shortly. "Moonspear is a mountain," he was continually shocked by how daft Leta's friend was— his younger siblings seemed to have more brains than Charles did. 

Osiris had paused to mark the borders when Charles spoke again, and slowly he lowered his leg and turned to his packmate—no, subordinate—with a hard stare. "Excuse me?" he replied sharply, his tail raising to full-height. Osiris had allowed for a lot of the disrespect to go to the wayside for Leta's sake, but the disrespect in the coywolf's retort had been exceptionally blatant. "Do you realize who you're talking to?" he asked the other slowly, allowing Charles one final chance to redeem himself.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
The tone of Osiris' voice made Charles pause, too, his leg in mid-air. He glanced at the place that Osiris had marked, so tempted to mark over it, but he knew better than that. The tone in Osiris' voice showed that he was getting angry. The hairs on Charles' neck rose in response, and he licked his lips submissively as a subconscious, instinctive gesture, although his body remained neutral.

The question was pointed and very clearly suggestive, as much as Charles' statement had been, but it lacked the same neutrality to it. Osiris wasn't playing. Charles looked him in the eye while his mind screamed at him to say it -- heel licker, heel licker, heel licker. It was an open door waiting to be kicked in, it was hard to resist. Yet Charles reminded himself that Leta had said she would not be queen beside Osiris, but his subordinate. So instead, he said, his voice cool, calm, yet with a new hint of calculation that had not often been there before: Someone who is not about to throw out Leta's best friend. He wasn't sure if it would calm Osiris down, or if it would anger him further. He wasn't sure which one he preferred. Gah, why was this so complicated? And why was Osiris the only one who it was really this complicated with? Why did he keep wanting to teeter on the edge of the ravine without fully falling in? It made no sense! But then again, nothing in life really did make sense.

Finally Charles broke eye contact and he was suddenly casual Charles again. He grinned and shrugged his shoulders as he said: Look, man, I did not mean anything by it, so uh, sorry. I didn't know you were sensitive. I'll watch it next time.
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
PP-permission granted by @Charles!

"Someone who is not about to throw out Leta's best friend," Charles replied, meeting Osiris' gaze. Everything within the leader commanded him to leap and drive his subordinate to the ground, but he hesitated, willing the other wolf to use his brain. He held his ground, bow-legged and stiff. 

Charles' remark was the final straw to break the camel's back; he had had enough. Osiris surged ahead with a snarl, knocking Charles onto his back with relative ease. Once he was on top of his subordinate, Osiris looked down at him with unveiled fangs. "Your disrespect ends now," he warned the other wolf, staring hard into the other's gaze. "The remarks, the eye contact—it all ends now. I am you leader, and you will treat me like one."  Osiris wasn't sure how things were run at Easthollow, but that was not how things would happen in the glen.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Everything that Charles had been building up to came to culmination when Osiris leaped at him. He had never felt so alive in that moment, that split second -- the split second before everything went to hell, anyway. It was the suddenness that set off a reaction in Charles' brain; had Osiris warned him another time or slowly approached, he might've retained some control over his reaction.

Before he even hit the ground Charles curled up to a ball as best he could, tail tucked, his stomach exposed, and head held down to hide his throat on instinct. He licked his lips rapidly, submissively. Are you... afraid of me? he heard his mother's voice, appalled by what he was displaying, and her teeth flashed as he tried to shrink further and further but he couldn't be any smaller. You little shit! Whatever he did, it was never good enough. Now, he felt just like the day when Valette had caught him peeing against the stones, and he became as small as he could. Osiris' words drifted far away, as if he was under water he heard them bubbling towards him, crystal clear and at the same time so far away, morphed. Charles found himself wishing that they weren't the words he was hearing. He found himself wishing that he got to the next phase of this. That the words were different, as well as the actions. Soft, soothing, forgiving — he craved it.

For now, though, all he could do was survive this phase. S-s-sor-rhy m-m— He managed to stop himself just in time. His voice was shocked and his breathing laboured as he tried to come to grips with his brain. This was what he wanted, and yet it was nothing like he wanted. Charles felt warmth trickling on his leg and he wondered what had happened. Did Osiris -- was this -- did he just --

Moments later Charles realised miserably that it was not his leader asserting dominance, but that he had actually pissed himself just now, in his bout of uncontrollable fear, and the pee was trickling down his leg. This was without a doubt the most embarrassing thing that ever happened in the history of forever.

God, he was a wretch and he was terrified, but still he craved this closeness. Before this conversation, Charles knew he was nothing to Osiris, and now? Now, he was... well... something, at least. Slowly Charles was coming to himself, and he wasn't sure what he should say. But when he opened his eyes, he couldn't stop himself from staring right into Osiris' eyes. They drew him in and wouldn't release him, despite the warning he had just received. His entire body still screamed submission, but his eyes sought Osiris', despite the fear that was still clearly written in them.
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
Charles' palpable fear and servility were not enough for Osiris, and he would not stand down until the other wolf looked away. "Look away," he commanded in a laconic drawl, his nose full of the reek of urine as he clapped his jaws together. He'd get his point across—even if it meant causing Charles to shit himself.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
The short moment of weakness was instantly punished; Charles had hoped that him looking away initially would be good enough. Now, he felt drawn in entirely. Those eyes were pulling him in and making him drown. Charles found it hard to look away, even though it felt like his life depended on it. I wonder what it feels like to die. I wonder if I find out now. I wonder what it would feel like if you tore me apart. He hungered for the physical touch, he hungered to be ripped to pieces, to feel — something — anything.

Eventually he tore his gaze away from Osiris' dreamy, but angry eyes. I just want you to love me. Charles kept his body crouched and his nose down to his chest. What a weird thought, he thought to himself, but he didn't have the time or presence of mind to further investigate it or linger. All he could feel was the encompassing feeling of wanting to be hugged and loved, and he held onto the strand of hope that Osiris would do just that now that he finally complied, while his nostrils started to fill with the stench of his own piss that told him nobody would ever love him because he was ugly trash.
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
Charles quietly looked away in his final act of submission, and Osiris was satisfied with the show; he thought nothing of the other wolf's motives, only that his behavior needed to change. He side-stepped to dismount, allowing the coywolf some space to get back onto his paws. He shook out his fur before speaking. "Theres a brook nearby," he advised, glancing over his shoulder in the direction of the territory's heartlands, "You should go wash off." 

Whether or not Charles took his advice was up in the air, but Osiris did not want one of his members covered in urine while patrolling—he knew it was possible that doing so could give off the wrong impression to any strangers they could have found.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
As soon as Charles looked away, the pressure was relieved and Osiris left him alone. Charles felt horrible, and he kept laying on the ground, curled up into a ball as best he could, even if it brought the stench of his own piss closer to his sensitive nose. He wanted to cry, but he was afraid that Osiris would laugh at him or tell Leta about it, so he didn't. Osiris' voice registered, telling him not that he was alright or that Osiris didn't mean it that way or shh, my sweet boy, but that he should wash up at the brook nearby.

Yeah, Charles said, but he made no move to get up and actually go there. He wanted to. He really did. But he found himself immobilised entirely. Charles just rested his head on the ground and he stared blankly ahead at Osiris' paws. Please don't leave, he thought, please come back and love me. I'll do it. You can go. He could feel tears prick at the side of his eyes, but he couldn't let them go until Osiris left. He had been humiliated enough for one day.

He lay on the ground, feeling violated, feeling like he was starved of the last bit of this ritual that he used to go through with his mother. Where was the love that his mother would give him after she chewed him apart? This was more like... Riley.

It would take Charles some time to get himself back together. He lay on the ground when Osiris left, and stared into the distance, feeling ugly, feeling like trash, and above all of it, feeling empty on the inside — that was all he could do to keep himself from crying.

Only after some time Charles would manage to get up to his feet and he would go to the brook to wash himself while he hoped to not run into anyone else.