an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
All Welcome 
set for tomorrow 10.26

germanicus had decided that the best course of action was to return where he had last met ico. it would be near ursus, which meant that in a time of growing ice and slick rain, the soldier would have not one but two ranges to traverse. 

having found his way out of the hinterlands well enough, the man broke his fast and opted for several hours' sleep. night shifting to dawn, and he stood within the eerie gnarled smudges of black cast by odd trees against the sun. he decided to pass through, however, for beyond lay the flatland, and beyond those, the spires that separated the bear valley from his current locale.
118 Posts
Ooc — Me
A week long respite in the heavily protected forests of Norah's new home, she felt a little bored from idle observation of all the pack wolves that came and went on their daily business. She had not attracted much attention, since that first meeting with Dirge on the borders and she felt that at this very place learning, how to be present and yet invisible at the same time, was something she would like to achieve. After all had she not herself chosen to be eyes that see keenly, ears that listen carefully and mouth that speaks the words the other desire to hear? So effortlessly that she can easily bend a lie into truth.

It was good that no one paid her any attention - save for few nosy kids - and with that thought in mind she left the mountain behind to see, what else had the wilderness to offer. She had already sensed that her new leaders and comrades were driven by ambition and high ideals, therefore testing the fields that might belong to their claim one day seemed a wise thing to do. She had walked further than she had intended to, the short autumn day was soon over and therefore she found herself shelter to rest at during the night. And by early morning with spirits high she continued her journey across the frost covered fields, until the crisp air was cut by a strong scent of another wolf in the vicinity.

Norah stopped, where she was in plain view and soon her eyes narrowed down on a tall figure in the distance.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus felt the eyes of another before he turned his muzzle up from his path. for a long moment he searched the figure for any hint of a threat. but the stranger was merely observant, and so the eaglebound felt content enough to approach in a modulated fashion, with the trained gait of one who had once been marched through mountainsides.

"hail," pleasant enough. moonstone eyes and shale robes. he admitted privately to himself that though he remaine unstirred by women save for one such, those of of this land remained striking. "are you traveling in the same direction?"
118 Posts
Ooc — Me
Norah's interest in the opposite sex reached as far as them being simple objects of scientific observation and evaluation. Call them lab-rats in a labyrinth, if you may. Of course, there were times, when her most basic instincts stirred in response to a particularly attractive specimen, but she knew very well that was biology talking, not her common sense. And unlike most she-wolves her age, she did not dream of meeting that prince and having family. She did not like kids and despised most men. Women too, but she was more inclined to be lenient of her own gender.

This fellow was imposing - that she could give him. A macho man, well-built and strong, intelligent eyes, but at present Norah could not tell, whether there truly was any intellect hiding behind that burly frame or not. She would find out eventually. "Which direction that might be?" she asked with a sly smile and tilted her head to the side.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"east," germanicus answered. "i am looking for a valley shaped in the paw of a bear." for it, but not to visit; the memory of the one-eyed heathen who had greeted him there still shook the soldier, deep down. "i am in need of a hunting companion for a meal before i set off again." direct, succinct; if she demurred, the eaglebound would find another soul to bring to his cause.

the crane of her muzzle confused him; did she mean to interrogate or to flirt? finding no reason to speak again, germanicus awaited her answer, in the silent stoicism that was the lot of a guardian.
118 Posts
Ooc — Me
"That bear must be a very big one to leave such a footprint," Norah teased gently the man for his choice of words. How was he going to find it, when valleys came in all shapes and sizes, was beyond her. It was just as likely he had already found that territory, walking through it, but had no way of knowing it. 'cause... you know. Birds are the only creatures that can get a clear panoramic view of the Earth below.

"I may not be against a meal," she complied, rose to her feet and stretched. "Lead the way - and tell me, where do you hail from?" she asked. "Must be a remarkable place to breed and groom such men as you," she complimented.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus rarely understood jokes, but understood on a small level that this meant to be so. he offered a warmer expression, turning them down a path left by a lone buck. normally a creature to avoid with so few hunters, the lopsided nature of the hoofprints suggested the quarry had suffered an injury to a limb, and further investigation brought the truth of the animal's advanced age.

"i am the personal guardian to the king of the clan that rules a forest called kingslend," the centurion answered. "they are a powerful family." the she-wolf's words had inspired in him an interest at her bold tongue, but he did not comment upon this, moving along the track of the deer at a hunting pace.
118 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Is your king's settlement located nearby?" Norah asked the next logical question, because, if he was a personal guard, but the pack was far away, why would he leave in the first place. Had the object of his protection sent him on a job or a quest? Had the man lost something that only the faithful guard could find? Or were there other reasons to be out - not bound to the service of the king? Sinister - maybe? That would make an interesting story, but it did not seem to Norah that the fellow was eloquent enough to lie convincingly. For such people truth came more easily. 

"Does the powerful family have a name to run by? The ones I run with are called Ostregas. Maybe you know them?" she asked, though highly doubted he did. A powerful family was self-given title that rarely had anything to do with an actual power. In her experience, one family's power ended right, where the other family's claim began.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"it is not. i was given leave for a personal matter, and there will be a guard for the king while i am gone." his words were chosen carefully but softly, for he sensed her curiosity. perhaps she was interested for herself, though he did not think that the elk-wolves would take kindly to the hues of her pelt.

"they are called deorwine," germanicus answered. "and i have not heard the name of ostrega." she had said with, not that she was one of them. the eaglebound for a moment wondered if they shared a new commonality. "what land do they control?"
118 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Of course," Norah remarked to herself. If a king was smart enough to get this fellow to protect him, then there were probably others like him too there. Which led her to the next logical question - what were the dangers out there such that a king would need such a guard. Her mother had been a leader of a pack - still was - and equivalent of a Queen, even if she had never called herself like that - but then she walked confidently upon the Earth. She did not need a guard to tail after her all the time. So, it could also be that the king itself was either very young or not yet up to the task for defending himself properly. With young rulers there was still room to mold them, briefly she wondered, if she should not change her loyalties just to have fun elsewhere, but that would not sound well all things considered. Not that she cared a crap about Ostregas, but, if she herself would never trust a person, who went from one pack to another, why should anyone else?

"Deorwine is a novel name to me too," Norah replied. "Ostregas rule the mountains up North and recently one of the leader's sons has expanded their claim to a nearby territory. Very traditional, fiercely protective of the land. One feels safe to live among them that's for sure," she told and it was true. Though they had paid hardly any attention to her, since her joining the group, she did not have to watch her back constantly for possible attackers. In her opinion, she had made a deal with the most powerful political force in this valley. Whether it would prove to be worth it - was still to be found out. "Does your king have a wife?" 
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
fixing a mental note into his mind of this location, and to avoid it. the talk of wives amused the guardian, though he reined himself. "she rules with her brother," germanicus said lightly. it was a leadership that would avoid the strife of attempting to give a partner equal footing. while he accepted her as his king, the centurion was unsure that a man should lead with his wife at all, or a wife with her husband. it was precarious. foolish.

a blink dipping him to present. "you said you were with the ostregas. but you are not one of their family?" he pressed, seeking as she had. the bluntness suited him, after all, suited germanicus with his brusque manner and retiring attitude.
118 Posts
Ooc — Me
"No, I am not," Norah shook her head. "From what I have learned by now they are an old-blood family. Do not let strangers in easily," she stated the fact dryly. There was no feeling of disappointment in her voice. She had never strived to snivel up to the leaders. Ever respectful and polite on the facade, in her mind it was the pack itself that had to live up to her expectations. 

"But it may change in time," Norah shrugged. "All old-bloods need a refreshment time from time," she remarked cryptically. "So - are you related to the family or you were sourced from outside?"
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus chuffed. "it is the same there. i am an outsider. but i am useful to the king i guard." if honest, he was perturbed to be away from her now. the shifts of blood and cult inside kingslend were not enjoyable things, but he knew them. had he not lived in such a way?

refreshment. he eyed the woman with a inscrutable expression and then resumed his hunt. it was to be so, but he did not think he would be involved in such. a guard owned nothing beyond the rights to his own body. nothing to offer, and in truth, germanicus was content with the arrangement. a proper guard must be without any distractions.
118 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Glad that they have seen use in you. I am still waiting for the leaders to see mine," Norah remarked, but there was no hint of disappointment in her voice. Everything was alright with her self-confidence. She did not need to snivel up to the powerful figures in order to earn their praise and recognition. No. When that day came, where she would have to crawl on her belly in favour of someone, would be the moment she would kill herself.

"A-a-and I think that our prey is right ahead of us," she pointed out, when a limping figure in the distance came in her view. "Will you do the honour?" she asked him in a teasing manner, before heading off to chase the poor animal destined to become their lunch. 

We could end it here. Maybe you can fade this out in our next post. :)
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
<3 always nice to thread w you

the she-wolf spoke, and germanicus chose to take it as a statement of confidence. for she seemed capable enough, and so he did not feel the need to reassure the woman of her worth to the mountain-dwellers. they would see it, as they had seen his own skills in navigation and defense. one need not be pious to be worth something in kingslend.

a warmth touched his gaze for a moment. "certainly," he answered, meeting her eyes once before they began the process of whiling away their day with a kill, something to challenge them both in a mutual solidarity.