Blackfoot Forest like a record baby
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
All Welcome 
Not long after the terrifying run in with Merrick and his daughter, when Riley had popped up, Laurel returned west. She avoided the meadow on the valley's doorstep; oh, the sad irony that the home she had one been Queen of was now ruled by her rotten to the core nephew. How her blood boiled thinking about him. Yet she came here because she wanted to figure out if she could follow Riley's trail. He'd run west, she had seen, and so she went west, until she reached the forest at the edge of the mountain ridge.

She'd picked up traces of his scent here and there, but nothing to indicate where he'd gone. Here, at the mountains, she caught scents of other wolves nearby -- a pack? -- and a shiver ran down her spine. She didn't want to risk coming too close. With a frown she looked up at the steep mountain ridge to her west and she hung her shoulders, dejected.

Oh, how she wanted to hold her son in her arms again, and yet she knew she would not find him this easily. And she didn't have the strength for yet another wild hunt across the world for her missing children. The truth was that she didn't care for them like she had for Lucas and Piper, and that she had grown afraid.

So she stood there for a moment, dejected, until eventually Laurel turned around and started to make her way back to Easthollow; to home.
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
The abundant smell of foxes had drawn Draper to this place. The trees were thick, though traveling through it was not as difficult as he had expected from the outside looking in. For the most part, old growth had stunted any new growth down where he walked. After a rather difficult chase, Draper had managed to catch one of the sly creatures that lived here, and it hung in his jaws as he attempted to make his way to a more private location to dine on this feast.

That was, until he saw the wolf.

She was coming toward him, and Draper wasn't sure he had time to dart away, especially since he had no plans to abandon his meal. As quickly as he could, he slipped behind the cover of a tree, hoping she might pass him by with little to no fanfare. Then again, the smell of a fresh kill and coyote was likely enough to draw any predator in.
Bramblepoint

[Image: coyote.png]
player preferences
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
The scent of blood entered her nostrils and Laurel licked her lips involuntarily. She realised only then that she was getting hungry; it'd been a bit of a journey here, and though she had not crossed the mountains to further look for her son, Laurel knew it was a way back to Easthollow again, too. She could do with a meal. It seemed fate was kind to her, as she was lead straight to it.

The scent of blood mingled with that of coyote, as she came closer. Laurel sniffed the air as she came to the end of the trail and looked around, searching for its source. She stood and sniffed a few times before she started in the direction of the tree, slowly closing in on his hiding place by following her nose.
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Draper was barely breathing as she came closer. He knew he had probably already lost his kill to the wolf who had no doubt found him. Hopefully, he would not lose his life (or a limb) either. He rather enjoyed both of those things, and he could sacrifice the vulpine creature if it meant the wolf would spare his life. Why was it, he wondered, that all wolves wished him so much harm? Everywhere he went, it was altercation after altercation. Draper was having a hard time remembering if any wolf had ever done anything outside of attack on sight. Well, and adult wolf. Children were usually a bit more lenient.

Charles in particular came to mind. The sweet, innocent child who had no idea that he had coyote in him, even though he so clearly did. It had been Charles who had pointed out how similar they were, even if he seemed confused by Draper's "accusation" that he was coyote, too. And to not have a father? Well, that was just the cherry on top and confirmed all of Draper's suspicions.

The wolf's footsteps came closer, and Draper knew he'd been had. In a slight panic, but knowing it was likely one of his only ways out of this situation, he hurled the fox carcass out as far as he could and yelled.

Truce!
Bramblepoint

player preferences
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
As she approached, muscles tense and her heart beating in her throat, quite suddenly the fox carcass was thrown in her direction. Laurel startled, her focus broken, and then he shouted 'truce'.

She didn't actually think much of it until she laid eyes on him, and felt something clench in her gut at his pointed features. Remind you of me, love? Of us? A bitter snarl overtook her face as she came closer. Even though he had literally throw the fox carcass in his direction, Laurel still approached and commanded: Leave it. There was a dark look on her face that showed she meant business as she came closer to the coyote and prize — which lay in between them now. She didn't care much for this man, and though she was looking to avoid a fight she was certain she would win it if it came to that.
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
As usual, she approached with a bitey face. Draper was so, so over this kind of behavior from wolves, but he was also over the constant fighting. If he could manage to slip out of this situation unharmed, he'd gladly take that over acting out and trying to get her to change in any way. He wasn't going to grovel exactly, but he'd be way more respectful and polite than he thought he should be required to be. Draper knew from experience that he rarely won fights, but he was pretty good at getting out of them and avoiding them.

It's all yours, he said. Just let me go on my way.

A meal lost was a small price to pay for being allowed to leave unharmed. Well, it actually felt like a rather large price, but it wasn't like he was in a position to negotiate much more than that. Draper was fairly certain she'd murder his ass if she had the inclination to do so.
Bramblepoint

player preferences
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel enjoyed having power over someone, because it was such a rare occasion. She was so sick and tired of others always getting the better of her; it was good to be on the other side. The ugly emotions roaring through her helped fuel her misdirected anger. When he said that the prize was all hers and that he just wanted to get away, she contemplated chasing him down and tearing him limb from limb. Yet Laurel knew she too would not get away unscathed and honestly, she had never been much of a fighter. She preferred intimidation over physical conflict.

And why would I let you go? she snarled darkly as her eyes stared darkly into his and she took a few steps closer, her voice sounding as though she was asking him a genuine question. She didn't really want more (she wasn't sure she even wanted this) but she couldn't help but ask, high on the rush of power.
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Cool, one of these types. Draper was less than pleased, but he put on his best don't-kill-me-I'm-harmless face. He grasped at straws, trying to think of a clever reason she should let him go. Since Charles was still fresh on his mind, he decided to play that card.

Because I have all of Firefly Glen to protect me, he bluffed.

My good friend Charles lives there, and he would be very upset if something happened to me.

More bluffing, but Draper felt confident in what he was saying. And the best lies were those sprinkled with truth. He knew Charles existed. He knew Charles was part coyote. He knew that Charles was friendly enough with him.

What he didn't know is that this was Charles's mother.
Bramblepoint

player preferences
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Honestly, no matter what someone would say they had behind them, Laurel wouldn't believe them. Especially a coyote. Why would a wolf pack defend one such as himself? She didn't know of any place called Firefly Glen, so she could only assume that he was lying. Laurel took another step closer while she said threateningly, I don't know any Firefly Glen.

However, as she stepped forward, the next words to come out of his throat caught her by surprise. Charles? she brought out, her eyes turning to a shocked surprise for a moment before they hardened again. There was a moment of emotion there, of loss, but when she hardened her voice was resolved once more as she snarled, Then I'll be happy to tear apart those assholes who harbour that traitor limb from limb, right after I get my jaws on you! She did not yet set off towards him, but Laurel looked as though she was about to explode.
102 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Draper out!

That was his cue. Perhaps, if things had gone differently, they could have gotten along. As it was, Draper made a run for it, picking his feet up and high-tailing it out of there as quickly as he could. The meal was all hers, and hopefully she'd be happier with that than trying to chase him down. Surely she had that much sense (though he'd been proven wrong before).

When at last he'd put enough space between them, he would continue at a brisk trot, hoping that she wasn't motivated to continue the chase after he was out of sight.
Bramblepoint

player preferences
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
thanks for the interesting thread <3

The coyote was right and when he took off, Laurel ran after him maybe five meters before she stopped in her tracks. She watched as he took off and then returned to the prize she had won. It had a foul taste about it — not actually, but in her mind — considering the words he had just spoken. Charles? He was out there? When the coyote was gone, Laurel actually regretted that she hadn't stopped her aggression and wished that she had stopped to talk to him. Ask more about Charles. Figure out if he was... alright, at least.

She looked at the fox and frowned, suddenly feeling sad. Why had she met him with so much aggression? Charles had left her and he hated him for that. He hated him for just up and leaving. But — she'd caught a glimpse of Riley, and Charles had just left without saying anything. She wished they were still here, no matter how much she hated them for leaving. This coyote had been a ticket there, and now...

Laurel picked up the fox and started to make her way back towards Easthollow with a pit in her stomach.