Neverwinter Forest The Scars on My Mind Are on Replay, R-Replay; continued.
time falls like moonlight
317 Posts
Ooc —
Away
Joining 

Finally, did she manage to calm them down and lure them to Neverwinter. It was perhaps the best place they could go to, with enough resources to help them so, and plenty of mothers to give attention. She hoped Mal would accept them so, especially since they were only but children, seemingly lost in the wilds.

"This is Neverwinter, where my daughter and I are staying." Miriam wondered if this was also a good chance for Liliana to make some friends.. Her eyes particular sighted to Hotaru, just as young, and a female to boot- maybe with companionship, would she ease up just a bit. At the same time, there was fear of rejection.

"The Alpha is Mal, i'll call him okay?"
In the end it wouldn't really take much convincing. Where else would the royal pair go? They had nothing to go back to and no one to turn to. They wouldn't have to travel far until a heavy scent assaulted her nose. It was unfamiliar, but it also reminded her of the see wolves...whatever that meant still. She had never been to another pack, but it couldn't be too different...right?

Hotaru glanced to her brother as Miriam explained that she would be calling someone named Mal. He was their Emperor? Hopefully a nice one, she wasn't sure she could go through all of this again, but maybe he could teach them a thing or two about being rulers.
#DDA0DD speech, #66cc00 singing, pawprint, Hotaru's Playlist  4/5* 4/5*, * = incomplete threads
61 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Despite Haruki's reluctance, the pair of siblings eventually agreed to follow the kindly woman, and she lead them to the borders of a thick forest that smelt heavily of deer and wolves. It was darker here underneath the canopy than it was back in the Empire, almost oppressively so to the boy who was so used to the gentle, ever-present sunlight of the Vale.

He exchanged a glance with Hotaru, brow set low over a sceptical gaze. Of course, nothing so far had led him to believe that the woman held malicious intentions, but he was wary all the same, worrying more for his quiet sister than himself. He moved to stand close to her, giving a small nod of affirmation as Miriam explained she was going to call for Mal, their Alpha.
137 Posts
Ooc — nami
being vague!

she’d been taking frequent trips outside of the borders, undoubtedly being noticed by at least one of her parents, but she didn’t care. it felt good to do something without being watched, especially when she knew it could get her into some trouble.

yana had come home the night before to sleep with mal and caerus. then, she woke up early to get first pick at the cache, hoping to find a decent meal before her day began.

it was just as she was settling in to eat that she spotted miriam’s ghostly pelt beside the border, and with her.. two others? liliana frowned as she stood to make her way over.

she glanced up toward miriam but didn’t say anything. who’s this? liliana asked, her eyes bouncing between either peer, i don’t remember them.
great bear wilderness · open for threads (2/5)
317 Posts
Ooc —
Away
She had momentarily called for @Mal, maybe just enough for him to hear, but it was cut short by the appearence of her daughter. She was wondering where she was going, and did know she was taking trips, just not aware they were outside. Miriam knew she was being avoided by her so, and tried to keep some space, but at times drifted near her so.. Only to be ignored.

She was pained, but also delighted to see her daughter, "Yana," she called out lovingly with nickname, but hesitated to say more. She already was sleeping alone. Depression had deeply set in at night, as sometimes she could only sob into her own fur.

Miriam desperately wanted her daughters love,

"I found these two lost outside the borders- I thought perhaps Neverwinter could take them in, and maybe you could have more friends." It was but an innocent jester, not realizing it may proven to have misunderstandings.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Mal hadn't been too far away, so he'd shown up on the scene rather promptly. Miriam was there, as was Liliana, who he was fairly sure from where she was standing showed up later. But the real curious thing here was the two white pups that were with Miriam. Not familiar at all.

He came up beside Liliana, with a light smile to her, Hey you, and then looked from her to the other three. Who've we got here? He didn't know if Liliana had just arrived or what, but if she knew what was going on, she was free to answer, though the question was technically to them all. He also knew his daughter had been going outside the territory, but since she'd come back to sleep each night, he'd let her have a bit more freedom -- the way things were going in the future, he would certainly ask her to stop, if other things didn't get in the way. Needless to say, her future wanderings would be followed, but that's a different thread. This one was about figuring out what was up with the other two random pups so someone clue the guy in, please.
Hotaru waited patiently until another face appeared. A girl in greys who approached with a frown. In some ways, she reminded Hotaru of Lilitu, wherever her friend might have ended up... but this girl seemed to have some strange patterns along her flank. By the way the mother spoke, she assumed this was probably her daughter she mentioned before, that and they kinda looked alike. Not like her and Haruki, but similar.

It wouldn't take much longer before another adult appeared too, this one with equally strange markings that caused the girl to tilt her head at the abnormality. The man smiled to the girl, something that eased her if only slightly even though the expression wasn't pointed her way. So far their Emperor seemed nice, but then again...she had thought the same of her father.

Suddenly feeling a bit shy, the young Empress glanced once more to her brother before clearing her throat to speak up for both of them, Emp— Empress Hotaru and Prince Haruki of Reneian Empire...we lost our family...um, we came from the mountains, but no one lives there now. You're the Emperor here? Once more a tilt of her head was earned as she asked her question. Hotaru wasn't entirely sure how she should be addressing another royal member, but given that things had been casual with her family she figured it was the same for someone not related to them too.

Unfortunately, she was sorely mistaken as Mal wasn't royalty, nor were most wolf packs, but her parents had kicked the bucket before they had the chance to explain that.
#DDA0DD speech, #66cc00 singing, pawprint, Hotaru's Playlist  4/5* 4/5*, * = incomplete threads
61 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Another appeared, a girl that nearly mirrored Miriam with her coat of soft greys, though she sported a far harsher gaze. Haruki raised his chin a little as she appraised them, shooting back a cold stare as if personally affronted she did not know who they were. Miriam's suggestion was noted with a flick of his ear, though he did not break eye contact with the girl. Friends? Yeah, right.

Moments later, a second wolf appeared, also with the same odd patterning that adorned the younger girl, though he seemed less prudent and more curious about their presence, flashing a smile before looking to Haruki and his sister.

After a glance between them, Hotaru shyly went on to introduce them both in her formal way. He had nothing to add, and so looked to who he assumed this Mal was — their Emperor. Or Alpha, did Miriam say? It didn't matter. The boy only hoped they had made a favourable impression on the man so far. He wasn't sure what they would do if they were turned away.
137 Posts
Ooc — nami
why? she asked. liliana’s voice was calm, non-accusatory, but her stoic expression kept its lining of distrust. her father’s arrival kept her from asking anymore questions. 

to haruki, she dealt an unintentional warning; her hackles lifted and a silent snarl formed, some instinctive reaction to his inappropriate appraisal. this is my land, she thought to say, correct yourself.

hotaru’s gentle voice calmed her enough to formulate a response. miriam wants them to live here, liliana explained to her father, but he is rude. she looked between both children, realizing that either could pass as one of her many siblings.

my name is liliana, she stated to them all with an added glare at miriam, how did you lose your family?
317 Posts
Ooc —
Away
"Here, we call the leaders an 'Alpha' and a 'Beta,' there are no Empress's or Emperor's here." Lowering so, Miriam gently explained that Mal was no 'Emperor,' so she claimed him to be. Rather, he was a very similar, the same stance as one, but a different name. 

"I hope perhaps Neverwinter could take them, they're only children from a lost home." She couldn't help be feel worry if Mal was to accept them or not, especially since they had an abundant of children already. Though she couldn't withstand the heartache to leave orphaned kids by themselves, especially with the dangers that are currently around the woods. Who knew if they would face similar fates to her own- and she couldn't stand that thought.

Though, the 'mother' then froze. She had a face of grief, ass Miriam whipped her head toward toward her daughter. She longed to hear the words 'Amma,' or simply 'mom' from her so, but even then, Liliana rarely talked to her, or even recognized her presence. Days were spent simply sleeping within the den alone, as the droplets dampened her bedding.

She could feel the same droplets slowly leave her eyes, "Am I hated, so much, that i'm not even a mother to you anymore?" the words couldn't help but slip.
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
An ear tilted. They were from the valley pack then? What did that mean about the vengeance that he and Simmik were planning on going out there to seek? Had the guy scattered? But this was not the time to ask. Though later on Liliana would do the honors. 

Rude? Is he? Mal peered over to the boy, who at least right that instant didn't seem to be being particularly outlandish. It wasn't a scowl, but more of an 'over the glasses' sort of look wondering what the boy would do about it -- Haruki, apparently. A glance back to Liliana, What did I miss, then? I've always tried to help people who need a new start, hate to think it wasn't wanted. He was hoping that would be enough of a hint for an apology if such a thing was actually needed.

The hostility between Miriam and Liliana was palpable. Ok, perhaps Liliana was out of line a little, but Miriam was way off topic. Miriam, please, 'leave it for later' went unsaid. But back to the kids, specifically Hotaru since she was the one who spoke before, But yes, I'm Mal, alpha here -- I do know an empress who lives in another pack though. He was trying to at least bring a little more good natured not-quite-humor into things because dude awkward. He continued, I'm curious to hear what happened too, if you're able to say. I think I know a wolf or two who lived there. That was where Ibis lived, right? Sounded kinda right. Plus then there was the guy that needed to die.
"Why?"

The other girl had asked with no breaks and her forwardness was something Hotaru could only flinch at. Why? Where could she even start? They had a child for a leader (a useless one at that), murder within their land, and unbeknownst to her a tyrant of a leader who had distilled fear and hate amongst his people. Most importantly, the fable of a perfect life had shattered with the impact of a bullet through glass. A shiver ran down the pale girl's spine as she visibly shook off the feeling.

Hotaru tilted her head as the mother explained that here Emperor was called Alpha. It sounded funny. Another language maybe...she recalled the limited amounts of Japanese she had learned from parents, mostly through song, but none of it sounded the same. Did that make her title Beta? Though she knew that claiming such a title on grounds that did not belong to her was probably rude... Speaking of— Haruki isn't rude, he's just protective... A glance was cast once more to her brother with furrowed brows. She didn't want him to be turned away, she wouldn't stay without him. Besides, in her eyes, he wasn't rude, a bit more straightforward, but he was nice when you knew him.

For a moment, the mother and daughter seemed to have a small spat, something quickly shut down by their Alpha. Maybe Liliana just didn't like her nickname, but there seemed to be something more there. Had Miriam been a bad mother? She seemed so nice in her eyes, though she had been wrong about her own father as well. Hotaru wouldn't have time to linger on the thought as once again the conversation was redirected to their parents...and how they had died.

A lump had grown in the girl's throat as violet eyes flicked between the three unfamiliar faces, now feeling the heat of their direct gazes. How? The question seemed to echo in her mind along with the faint flashes that seemed to permanently burn themselves in her brain. The fangs, the blood, the mangled remains Um— Her voice grew meek as she struggled to look any of them in the eyes before turning her gaze to her paws. I— I'm not sure...about our mother. I found her grave... and our f—father—

The girl couldn't help but feel cold, just as she had that day when her head had been plunged under the water's surface. She could feel the lurking shadow following her, peering down at her shivering form from beyond Neverwinter's forest. Hotaru swallowed as a breath was sucked into her lungs. Even now her chest screamed. She hadn't even noticed the tears that had formed until they spilled unto the ground. Quickly she wiped at her eyes with a newfound heat in her face hoping none of the others had caught sight of her crying as Miriam had once already. He was killed. The words were spat out hastily as she glanced with fallen ears to the Alpha once more hoping that it would be enough for them to move on.

To any onlookers, perhaps they would see a distraught daughter. A girl who had lost her parents and mourned their death. It was all completely reasonable and just, though the truth was much darker than that. There was some truth to that illusion, she missed her mother dearly. Hotaru would give anything to be held in her mother's embrace once more, but her father. Only a sense of dread remained. While she might not fully admit it to herself yet, she was glad he was dead. That he was gone and could never hurt her again, not like he had already.
61 Posts
Ooc — Laur
He kept his gaze level, staring at the girl as she shot back her own glare, a demand plainly spelled out behind her heterochromatic eyes. Then came her comment. But he is rude. Haruki's fur immediately stood on end, his face flushing in anger. Perhaps they had made a mistake, maybe all the wolves of this forest were not as pleasant as Miriam seemed to be. "YOU DON'T EVEN—" know me, was what he was meant to say, but his outburst was quickly cut short as he heard Hotaru speak out in his defence. His ears fell back, and he met his sister's glance back with a barely stifled snort.

It was true; he only wanted what was best for Hotaru and for her to be safe, which meant them gaining acceptance into a pack, even if the children here were self-righteous mother-haters. He bit his lip, realising that also meant that yelling at Miriam's daughter was probably not a good way to impress their Alpha. His gaze fell sheepishly to the earth, missing Mal's appraising look.

The conversation then focused onto what had happened, how they had lost their home and found themselves here on his pack's borders. Haruki almost answered before Hotaru spoke up again, clearly struggling with the memory. The boy moved closer to her side before stepping forward as if to shield her from the strangers' gaze. He let her finish, hoping to offer a reassuring look before turning to Mal. "Who did you know who lived there?" he asked, curious. Not that he could provide much information as to where they had ended up.
137 Posts
Ooc — nami
liliana didn’t understand her mother’s reasoning. she cocked her chin forward and tilted it away, side-eyeing her mother while she argued, we have enough kids here already. kids that actually belong to us. 

miriam’s breakdown wasn’t acknowledged by yana; mal’s dismissal provided enough satisfaction alone. instead, she focused her energy back on haruki, whom she regarded with another glare.

i don’t what? yana began, but stopped to listen to hotaru’s somber recounting. warmth blossomed across her face as she felt the ricochet of embarrassment her sudden outburst had caused. 

she exhaled deeply, allowing her chest to fall. i’m sorry. i’m missing someone, too — still, she could not lie or mask her real opinion — but there’s got to be somewhere else for you to live, right abba?
317 Posts
Ooc —
Away
She felt like a child, trying to win her own mothers love. To even the point that Mal had to say something, and felt her face flush. In fustration and sadness, that she couldn't even get her own daughter to look at her. 

I'm tired.

All she wanted to do was do stuff right. Miriam only wanted to find her son, but with Bronco she realized she also had a daughter to take care off, and only returned to be scorned and ignored by the only reason she should stay.

I want to lay down.

At this point, she wasn't sure what on their behalf, and even the pitiful Hotaru- who had mentioned not only a fathers dead, but a mothers death.. Would Mal, still turn them away, even if Liliana doesn't want them?
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
A sad story. Why were there so many of those? He peered at Miriam just to see if she had anything to add since she'd brought them over, but apparently not. Did she know that they were from the pack that had attacked Liliana in the first place? How would that go over if they knew the guy and Liliana heard? So, he'd answer the question posed by Haruki. I think Ibis might have lived there -- she and I grew up in the same pack. He'd leave out Takeshi. Figure him out later.

He spoke first to Liliana, agreeing with her apology, It's been a tough year for everyone, I think. I know when packs only just move sometimes people get lost, I know one of my sisters didn't come back after one -- breaking up might be worse. And we should still help those who need it. He just wished that his children were more agreeable to it all -- then again, he was probably much the same way as a kid... He, however, felt he had more reason to be that way.

She did bring up a good point, though, Do you have other family who might be looking for you? And would you two want a quiet place to rest? We can always figure out who would officially be your guardian here after you've had time to settle in and meet some of the other wolves. Already the idea of them staying with him, Liliana, and Caerus had pretty much been shut down by Liliana herself, so who else was an option? Simmik or Kyr maybe? He leaned towards Simmik just in general principles.
There was a sting as the other girl spoke. If they had too many kids already did that mean they were being turned away? Her gaze widened with fear that they would be left to wander and be at the mercy of luck once more for a meal. If anything, Liliana had already made it clear they wouldn't be welcome, or at least amongst the kids...the kids that belonged here. Not that this was really her choice. She wouldn't be seeking out a home if she still had hers.

There was a moment where her aggression seemed to drop. A moment where she seemed genuinely sorry for them and said that she was able to relate, though rather she was genuine or not, Hotaru knew she would never be able to relate to her. She felt bad that she had lost someone, but she didn't want to someone that people just...felt bad for. She didn't want to cower... so this time she wouldn't. She didn't want to tiptoe around the issue, if they were only going to be a temporary shelter, wouldn't they be better off looking for a permanent home instead of wasting time inconveniencing people here?

She shook her head as their Alpha spoke again. The Empire didn't move. It was their pack. People left. We aren't lost. I had to lead. I knew Queen Ibis, but she left a while back with her family. Lilitu never even said goodbye... Hotaru bit back the wave of hurt that threatened to wash over her as she sharply inhaled. It's just me and Haruki. We need a new home...not a temporary place to rest. If it's too much of a burden then we can find somewhere else.
61 Posts
Ooc — Laur
It seemed the girl did not want them to stay, her words only solidifying that fact. Even after her deep sigh and attempt to relate to the pair of siblings after Hotaru explained their situation, Haruki's disdain only grew. Sourly, he stared off in the opposite direction of the Neverwinter wolves, the only sign he was still listening being the turn of his ears.

Mal then answered his question, mentioning Ibis who Haruki remembered, though he was unsure if he had ever met her; his mother had at least seemed fond of her. Only she had left the Empire after Reiko's death, taking her children with her. Good riddance. Hotaru voiced his thoughts, and he sensed her sadness. Haruki, however, was filled with anger. "They all left," he mumbled, a sneer contorting his features. They were traitors to the Empire, nothing more.

As his sister pleaded their case, Haruki looked back to the adults, stealing a glance first to Miriam who had oddly fallen silent, and then to Mal. He felt like their chances at gaining a home here were quickly slipping away, but he did not want to resort to begging. Yet, if they were granted residence in the forest, there was always the chance the other pups would make their life hell like Liliana was doing here now. The boy grit his teeth in frustration.

"We have no one," he spat loudly, his words a stark contrast to his sister's own soft spoken manner. Inwardly, he knew that Mal had been nothing but helpful, trying his best to appease all sides, but Haruki's hair trigger temper and lack of a good night's rest had gotten the better of him. He took a step towards the man, dirty pelt bristling. "If you don't want us here then just SAY IT!"
137 Posts
Ooc — nami
momentary silence permeated through their meeting space. liliana listened to her father’s words, but couldn’t have been sure whether he was agreeing or disagreeing with her firm standpoint. he spoke about “other family” and finding some place to rest, both points which seemed to be negated with his offer of an official guardian.

liliana felt that she might have been on an opposing side, but still needed to confirm with mal before deciding her reaction. does that mean…, she whispered, turning upward to look directly at him, you’re going to let them stay? did mal have the same opinion of what it meant to protect family as miriam? if so, yana wondered how much of his actual children’s wellbeing he was willing to risk to please another outsider.

she could feel herself becoming more frustrated as their kind inquiry shifted to a more forceful tone. of course you’re a burden, she wanted to say, but instead kept her mouth closed. 

then, haruki’s challenge — or so it was perceived. liliana didn’t think, but rather allowed instinct to pull her forward with her first real show of dominance. rushing blood almost louder than her growl, yana stepped to counter haruki’s approach to mal, snapping her teeth with uncomfortable force. she recoiled upon impact but otherwise held her ground, in that moment uncaring about the deadening guilt she would surely feel later.
317 Posts
Ooc —
Away
"We can't just abandon children." She looked at Mal in a disbelief he didn't even want to, rather stood at a neutral point, recommending somewhere else to go. It deeply reminded her of her own boy, she would hope wherever he was lost, some wolf would treat him with kindness and open their doors to a lost soul.

"Don't fight..!" She too, then joined the fray of chaos. Her point was not to protect either but rather desperately try and intervene with Liliana and Haruki, looking at them both with a tearful gaze. 

She really only wanted a happy world, with her family, and friends, and a world to protect the young. The Goddess, would disapprove of her way severely, to the fact she couldn't protect her own, much less two strays needing a home.

But everything felt but a cluster to Miriam- nothing goes right. 
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Okay. I just want to make sure that if there's someone out there we should keep an eye out for, we do. He'd just started to say more when Haruki came forward, only to be intercepted by Liliana. 

Liliana, Haruki -- STOP. It wasn't a shout, just loud and firm. Mal's alpha voice or something like that. He'd stiffened, standing taller and tail arcing upwards. His usually upbeat expression turned stern, We've all had a bad time. We've all lost people. This is not how we heal. I cannot in good conscience send you back out to the Wilderness alone, but I also won't take that attitude from you, Haruki. I'm trying to help. Liliana, it's ok, you can stand down. 

For now, I think it's best if one of the wolves in the pack who are not current parents look after you. It'll be quieter, you can rest, eat, and meet the other members of the pack. When everyone's feeling more like themselves, have another more peaceful conversation with each other. Then, we can find out who should be your longer term guardian -- one that won't step on anyone's toes. So he called for @Simmik (and @Vallkyrie, technically) to at least keep an eye on them short term. You know, where they wouldn't be picking any fights with anyone.

But he did have one more thing to say, Miriam, I know you brought them here, thank you. But let the pack take care of them for now, we should be focusing on Liliana. Together, at least. Mal also had Caerus to worry about, but he was not her responsibility. And Mal was all too familiar with how badly things could go if you tried to jam together kids who weren't having any of it, from both sides of the equation.
390 Posts
Ooc — Vami
Tracker
Ranger
The call had come and of course, a woman whom scouted and hunted often, was she hear the borders to heed such a command to arrive where she was needed. 

Moving along the outskirts of their thick forest home, Vallkyrie arrived to the scene. Miriam was there, Mal, their little girl and two other adolescents who looked just shy of nearing their six months of age. Two pups at the border...no parents. Kyr could only assume they were lost, that she would be now tasked to try and go to the neighboring packs to find their parents and let them know they harbored their pups. 

This was in mind as she drew nearer, offering a 'woof' in their direction as she trotted along towards. Hello everyone... She greets, turning her attention then to the two starkly white teens. What have we here? Obviously, kids...but what did they want her to do about it?
Hotaru winced at her brother's outburst. She couldn't say she didn't quite agree, but yelling wouldn't help now. She could understand, she wanted to yell too. Everything had grown so cold and unfair in such a short time, and admittedly maybe that was part of growing up, but she would never know. Reiko wasn't here to confirm anything, and Takeshi had shown in his own way just how harsh reality could be.

A chorus of voices soon picked up afterward, between Miriam's intervening, Lilianna's complaints, and finally Mal's loud demand for it all to end. At the very least, the Alpha declared that he would not send them back to fend for themselves. She had already declared that they would leave if they weren't wanted here, but it was a wave of relief that she wouldn't have to worry about tonight's meal and shelter.

Mal tipped his head back to call others, ones she assumed would be showing them around or perhaps to grant them a meal. She knew of guardians, her mother had one that stayed near the den when they were younger. Hotaru always had to wonder though, if she was being guarded by a guardian, who guarded the guardian? Needless to say, that was the whole point of being a guardian, risking your life for someone else and putting their safety above your own.

Soon a stark colored woman approached, her glance easily finding her and her brother as she spoke. The pale girl briefly looked to Mal again unsure if he would speak or if she should, but would eventually raise her own voice again, I'm Hotaru...we're new here. They had been accepted right? That wasn't too forward of her to assume?
I've learned to lose you, can't afford to
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Simmik wasted no time answering the call from the borders, but since she had been patrolling a fair distance from where he was, it had taken her some time to arrive. 

When she did, she was surprised by what she found, the emotion showing in the lift of her eyebrows. She nodded to Miriam and Liliana, although she could tell something was wrong with both of them. She offered another dip of her head to Vallkyrie and then let her gaze move over the unknown children. She gave them a reassuring smile before focusing on Mal.

What's up? she asked, He had called for her specifically, and she had absolutely no idea why or what was going on here. Where had these two children come from? Why were Miriam and Liliana here? Most importantly—What was going on that Mal thought he needed to call for her and Vallkyrie. It was all peculiar but she knew Mal would explain and so she waited.
Inuttuk
Common
61 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Liliana was the one to meet his surge forward with a snap of her teeth, which he responded to with a show of his own in a challenge — come and fight me, then! Only the adults were having none of it. Miriam rushed in between them with a teary-eyed plea, though it was Mal's booming command that caused Haruki to duck and take a step back as if he had been struck. Immediately his ears fell to the back of his head and he averted his gaze in compliance indignantly. Attitude? Was that what standing up for yourself was called?

Gingerly, the boy took a few steps towards his sister as if seeking comfort, before Mal called for two members of the pack who would serve as their guardians for the time being. He almost didn't want to accept the help, but knew this was the whole point of their being here, why they had followed Miriam to the forest in the first place.

So he kept quiet, watching as two opposite coloured wolves promptly appeared. The pale one offered them a smile as the darker one looked them over with an inquiry. From his place low in the dirt, Haruki looked back at them with a furrowed brow, quietly mumbling his own name after Hotaru's introduction, "Haruki."