Blacktail Deer Plateau This dream of going upstream.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
With her daughter safely tucked away upon the plateau, and having spent weeks keeping a hawkish watch for danger, Ibis felt confident enough to separate from the girl for an hour or so; they needed something to eat and it was Ibis' job to make that happen. She still worried about her daughter - rather, daughters, and hoped all was well with their little family.

The plateau seemed so quiet. It was as if the empty wilderness they had wormed through had somehow followed them back home, blanketing the area with a complicated silence. Ibis found herself listening more to the wind in the trees like she used to listen to the willows; pining for the busy days spent hiking the Emberwood or spreading messages from pack to pack; but she knew she did not miss the Empire.

The sentiment krept upon her as she tread across the winding paths of the plateau, decorated as they were by moss and leaves. Vibrant patches of red and brown nested across a fading carpet of dull greens. A heavy sigh erupted from Ibis as she patrolled, and she placed those thoughts in a box in her mind for safe-keeping, focusing on the present and the various scents mingling around her.
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
he'd never seen a plateau before. it was strange. like how'd it get this way? did something cut it? that'd be a big knife to cut something like this. when'd they do that? strange. he trotted around, going no where in particular, just exploring. fflllaat, he drawled to himself. he started to drift around in his mind, fleeing his mortal coils and all that, when he heard a heavy sigh. he snapped back to reality (oh there goes gravity!), turning his head to the sound. he wasn't that far off from a wolf! did wolves live here? he didn't smell any of their invisible walls. ayyyo! he called to the wolf, grinning. you uhhh, live live here?
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
As Ibis emerged from a bit of forest on to a ledge of weathered stone, she felt the sunlight cross her shoulders, touch upon her face, and squinted. It was warmer in the sun but still not as warm as she would have liked; the wintertime would be upon them soon, and without a pack to keep them all safe, she worried about her daughters.

A sound erupted from nearby, and she opened her eyes to look around, blinking as shapes were burned in to her vision. As they dissipated she could make out a four-legged shape drawing closer; she thought, my, what a beautifully soft coat they have. It wasn't quite brown, and it wasn't quite wheat, nor fully cream, but a mixture of all of those things at the same time.

You uhhh, live live here? The voice purred. Ibis blinked again, smiling in a friendly manner until the obvious dawned upon her: this person wasn't the right size to be a wolf, they were much bigger and much more lean. The woman saw the face of the cougar and warning bells rang in her brain. Her fur spiked, her tail stuck straight-up and puffed.

Leading the cat back to where her daughter slept was, obviously, not the way to go. She wanted to run. Running might spur the cat in to hunting mode, and Ibis was so small compared to it - there would be no escape. She had to think quickly, and knew the only safe option was to keep it talking so that she could find a peaceful manner in which to escape.

I.. I do. Myself, my husband, our -- our pack. Her trembling voice spoke volumes. Ibis tried to stand proudly and look intimidating with her short coat spiking all over, trying to make it sound like a bad idea to come after her. The plateau has been in his family for years. W-What are you doing here? It isn't safe for your kind.
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
the wolf puffed up. benry thought it looked ridiculous. she was so tiny, even for a wolf. and it was a she, he guessed. the voice sounded like a lady. years? he cocked his head. mmmthat's, that's loonnng. i ain't even two, wow. you old or sum'n? he realized something and gasped. ooooowaaaait, i dunno if, if i can ask that? msorry. rude ass benry. he was getting off tangent, something he slowly realized as he spoke the last word. she'd said something else, right? you gonna hurt me if i don't leave?
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
Was the creature seeing through her fib? Oh, she wished she were bigger and stronger in that moment — she did not like the feeling of the cat's eyes upon her, or the feeling twisting in her gut as it spoke in such a cavalier manner. The creature could easily destroy her if it wanted to and Ibis would be left a bloody carcass for her daughters to find. Her blood ran cold at the thought.

Not me, she managed to say. But I can call for help. I may be small but I have a husband, and he a brother, and -- there are many wolves here to take you down if you so much as breathe a threat to me. Oh, she hoped the cat would leave — just go, as if this never happened.
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
mmm, he twitches his ears as she speaks, finding that it helps him somewhat, but the words still blur. i mean, i won't he says with a shrug. you scared? his voice drops down a bit, almost whispering. it was his attempt at being softer, though it might have the opposite effect to the already frightened wolf.
Ghost
1,058 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ambassador
An ugly grimace set itself upon her little face, hardly menacing but trying to be; Ibis was not a warrior, she could never contend with something as large or as fierce as a hungry cat. She was lucky this one had such a lethargic affect; but that could change, as they were fickle beasts. He spoke softly at her and all Ibis could do was react. Her short coat puffed (not adding much bulk in doing so, nor any menace) and her tail lashed the air before settling flat against her hocks, and she let out a small growl that would have been equally suitable in her daughter's throat.

Everything about her said: leave.
109 Posts
Ooc — gryff
and whoops, there was the opposite effect. benry frowned as the wolf puffed and growled, disappointed that yet again, someone was so spooked by him. mmm, sorry, he murmured, before he turned tail and began trotting away. that'd be enough to satisfy her, right?