Ouroboros Spine A cage for your own bird?
208 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
All Welcome 
The mountainside was briefly home to the mournful songs of Kukutux and Sialuk, twinning together in the night. Raimo did not intervene — he kept far from them to afford whatever privacy he could.

He had never experienced such a powerful loss himself, and as he did not know what the pair would require, he kept out of their way. It was a beautiful song that they shared. He listened until sleep overwhelmed him; the stars watchful over the blackwood, keeping watch until the dawn banished them to hiding.

Raimo tread carefully where Kukutux rested, which had somehow become the rendezvous point between himself and the pair of women. There were pink stains in the snow, likely from the ritual they had shared between one-another, and Raimo loomed over one small patch of diluted blood with a cursory sniff, a brooding look upon his face.
165 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Oh heyyyyyy!

The songs of mourning had begun once he'd returned, assuring them that he'd found no trace of any survivors in his three days scouring the foothills, and the slope of the mountain where the landslide had occurred. Their songs were haunting- and he'd avoided the two women as much as possible during this time in order to give them freedom to perform rites for their fallen and disappeared family members. He wondered how long it would go on for- but chose not to interrogate either of the women while they were grieving. He'd pledged himself to the small group, and now set out to fulfill his duties to them. 

He had yet to formally meet the one called Kukutux- but he could tell by the many trails Sialuk made back and forth between the borders and a particular area that she must be in that location. Like a secret, he thought. But he could smell the scent of another female on the wind, and had heard her beautiful voice singing- so he knew now, at least, that she did exist. Perhaps she was a shaman of sorts- and was off-limits to new members. He knew so little about the two women he had pledged himself to serve and protect, but it didn't bother him much. It meant he had a fair amount of freedom. 

When he did range toward the area near where the women had been performing their rites, he did so with a rabbit clutched in his jaws. In the distance, he could see the formation which he assumed was a den created by snow- with a dark hole where the entrance was. And nearby, a dark male, who was investigating the area. He dropped the rabbit and exhaled sharply, before he pulled in a breath of air and tasted the male's scent. It had been lingering around this area- though Adrastus was wary of how near he was to the women's densite. 

With a soft chuff, he called out to the stranger- hoping to lure him away from what he assumed were holy grounds.
208 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
When Raimo first notices the stranger he does not know what to make of them. Their bulk concerns him. The similarities between this stranger and the women also causes the fur of his nape to prickle with uncertainty. He does not know how long their mourning songs will take — but Raimo's first thought is that the lost husband has returned to them. As they draw closer it is only Sialuk's scent that he finds woven across their own, not Kukutux'. If that is so, then perhaps he was wrong to assume this was her lost partner. Raimo takes a deep breath and studies the scent that drifts his way, learning whatever he can before delving in to a conversation he'd rather not have.

The stranger does not come very close at all; perhaps he knows of the rituals taking place and is afraid to disturb them. It is another transgression to hold against them — Raimo does not know enough about the pair of women or their customs, while this man appears to have the answers. He does not like being in the dark about things. They invite him closer with a chuff and as much as Raimo wishes to remain observant of the stains in the snow, he can learn much more from this newcomer. He moves to join him, prowling down the embankment.

In a hushed tone — almost reverent — he asks of the man, You have met Sialuk, so I assume you are welcome upon the mountain? They mourn. I do not know for how long.

I really need to get out of the habit of rambling for paragraphs only to say a little bit of dialogue at the end of the post, ugh.
165 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Had the dark-pelted stranger not been welcome where he was, Adrastus assumed he would have either bolted, upon being discovered by another wolf, or he might have become hostile. Had he chosen to challenge Adrastus, it would likely have become a fairly serious affair; Adrastus felt they both had the potential to inflict a good deal of damage, but it was not in his nature to be hostile or violent. So it was with relief that he watched the solemn male quietly, calmly, pick his way down the embankment toward him. 

For good measure, he nodded his head in greeting. The male's scent had been in the area, lacing the ring of mountains, for longer than Adrastus has ben present, so he assumed the other was perhaps more familiar with Sialuk and Kukutux. He had dared to go closer to their dwelling than Adrastus had, which was another indication that perhaps he had endeared himself to them. Sialuk had not mentioned him, however, when Adrastus had first met her- so they were perhaps strangers still, in the same manner that Adrastus was. 

Regardless, the other was clearly well-informed enough to know that he had only yet met the young woman. He nodded. "I am. I searched the mountain for their relatives, but found none." He said. "Are you a friend of theirs, from before the star fell?" He asked, curious to see exactly how this new figure fit in with the small ensemble.
208 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The man spoke of his task: to hunt for the remaining survivors on the mountain. Yet it was a task that led him nowhere, as by his own admission he had found nothing. Raimo felt an empathetic sadness upon hearing the news; competing with that was a sense of satisfaction, for it meant that the women were truly alone, and his presence could progress from tolerated to wanted. Or so he thought.

I came to them after, Raimo explained as he answered the questions. They asked the wind for help and I heard the call. He was quite proud of himself for that; how fortuitous that he would be lured in to the mountain range by that flash of light, and then given a purpose, a home. He was, to some degree, thankful for the fall of the mountain.

I have been hunting for them since. The meat I bring warms their bellies and, I hope, melts their hearts. But I imagine their sadness will linger no matter what I do. For a moment Raimo paused, thoughtful. He turned the questions back upon the stranger then. I fear that telling them the truth, that you were not successful, will hurt them. Perhaps it is better to wait until their songs are sung?
165 Posts
Ooc — Jess
So he wasn't familiar to them, the way those lost on the mountain had been. He tipped his head back in a nod, parting his lips slightly as his jaw relaxed. He thought well of the male, who had been summoned by their call for aid, given the fact that he had answered, and had chosen to stick around. He himself had been summoned by the star- but had fallen into pledging himself to help Sialuk and Kukutux in a bid to both increase his chances of being granted permission to seek out the star, but also to be a good samaritan. The better he was, the better his chances were of being rewarded by chance. 

He blinked at the expression used, of melting someone's heart. It was a romantic expression, he thought, so he wondered if perhaps the male sought the favour of Sialuk and Kukutux. Having not yet met the latter, he wondered if perhaps she was at least a bit older. Sialuk seemed mature- but was still but a yearling, at most. He tried not to judge Raimo for his comment, but he did wonder if he should perhaps keep an eye on him to make sure he did not bother the young woman inappropriately. 

And he frowned further when the male advised him not to inform Sialuk of his findings, or lack there of. He shook his head. "I was asked to report back to Sialuk, and given a timeline to do so, so I did." He confessed. "By the evening, they'd begun to sing their songs. It would have been cruel to leave them wondering." He stated. "Their family may yet return to them- there's nothing to say I simply did not cross their paths in my search. But any news they get now, will be good news, if they have already begun to grieve."
208 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
So the knowledge had been shared already. It would make the coming days harder for the women, they would be weakened by this loss. Raimo did not know what to make of this; he could use their sorrow to his own advantage but he was not unkind, or thought himself to be a better man than that at any rate. The strength of their songs would perhaps grow, and he could discern their moods and their recovery based on that.

You are right, he admits. They had to know. They will mourn all the more for it. I only wish I could do more to ease their pain. And all that Raimo could offer them was hot meals, but he had not seen them in some days now. Prey was starting to retreat from the mountain — and the mother daughter duo did the opposite, climbing higher, keeping further away from him as they grieved in private.

I do not know what else to do for them. Raimo says, sighing.
165 Posts
Ooc — Jess
He nodded, glad that Raimo could see his point of view. Not that Adrastus was too proud to be corrected, but the validation of his actions meant something to him. He liked wolves who were agreeable, and whose opinions could be changed by fair discussion. Temperate personalities were much more acceptable to him than those which were fickle and mercurial. "We can help them by allowing them to grieve without worrying about other things." He suggested. "Feeding them," He said, nodding his head to acknowledge that Raimo had already done that instinctively, "And patrolling the surroundings." He added. 

He thought about going to the mountain again- this time to search a bit further, and scout out more than just the landslide area so as to see if any other wolves had passed that way, or had been dispersed by the cataclysmic event. "We seem to be few in numbers, but," He said, "Once their mourning is over, and they begin life again, more scouting could possibly be done."
208 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Yes, the pale man was right. They could unite in their effort to do anything they could; that way the mother and daughter could mourn in private and not have to worry. Raimo was good at those things. He could provide, it was why he lingered.

No matter our number, we will put them first. I have done this since my arrival — and with you, plus the growing number of others, it will be easier. It had been rewarding work so far, but it was Raimo on his own then. Now, there were many more bodies.

I will go and scout the mountain again. I have been mapping pieces of it, at least for myself. If you should need a guide... He paused, not seeing a point in finishing the offer because it was obvious. He would return from this patrol and see what Adrastus was interested in.
165 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Optimism. And self-sacrifice. Raime, it seemed, felt quite dedicated to the small pack already, so Adrastus was content to let his previous judgements slide. Perhaps what he'd said, about wanting their hearts, hadn't been intended in a romantic way at all- perhaps it was just an expression...Though it didn't mean that Adrastus wouldn't keep watch over Sialuk, just to make sure that Raimo didn't step out of place. The chances that he would, though, seemed fairly slim. 

But when he mentioned scouting the mountain again, Adrastus could not help but wonder, and become slightly more suspicious of the male's motives. What did he know of the fallen star? He wondered. Did he too know the prophecies? He wouldn't ask- as he didn't want to give himself away, nor did he want to share that information with a stranger. Perhaps Raimo was only dedicating himself to the pack in the same way that Adrastus was. Maybe this was his way of getting to search the mountain, without worrying about trespassing as well. He didn't want Raimo to find the star, not before him. Adrastus had come for it- and he was not about to let someone else find it. 

So he remained cool, and offered Raimo a nod. He was certain he didn't need a guide, but he'd accept the offer nonetheless, whether he'd use it or not. "Thank you." He said. "I am Adrastus, by the way." He said, realizing then that he couldn't recall having introduced himself.
208 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
I am Raimo. Well met, Adrastus. Raimo offered in return, and tipped his chin in a small nod. The man did not sound as if he would follow after Raimo which was fine, although he would have enjoyed this one's company. There would be time enough to learn of this stranger and get to know him; perhaps they would form a partnership, or a friendship, down the line.

Without more to say or reason to linger, Raimo departed from that point. He chose to head along the path away from Adrastus before cutting between the trees to a higher corridor that would take him to places he had previously not explored of the spine — his dark silhouette melding with the shadows and spires.
165 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Well met? Not an expression he was familiar with, but he assumed that it was simply a way of saying 'nice to meet you.' So he nodded softly, not knowing quite what was an appropriate verbal reply. He didn't feel compelled to say much else- or prolong their meeting, either. They were men, they weren't meant to be chatty and sentimental. So in passing they'd introduced themselves, had established their roles, and were more or less done with each other. 

So when Raimo turned to depart, so too did Adrastus to picked up his kill, content to stash it somewhere near where Sialuk and Kukutux had claimed, before heading off for the borders.