Honeyed Pasture Can I ever know your mind?
I've learned to lose you, can't afford to
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Private 
And to continue disregarding their healer's instructions, she had ventured from the borders once this morning's patrol was done. Pain was not a deterrent at all, in fact, she had gotten pretty good at compartmentalizing things, and it was just in the background, keeping other thoughts from sifting through her mind. 

She trotted through the field, her limp only slight as she worked to continue concealing it. But she wasn't planning on staying and exploring here, and she continued her trek north, searching for nothing in particular. Mostly she was just tired of being confined to the forest, and she wanted some time on her own, away from the pack. 

She slowed her steps as the the scent of sea air filled her nose. She lowered her head and drew in the scent of the grass around her. The scent of deer was strong, although she didn't see the herd anywhere; they were usually farther south this time of the day. Simmik also noted the faint trail of something bigger and more dangerous—a bear. It had been here sometime in the last few days, and this was far too close to the forest for comfort. She would need to tell Mal about it, even if it did expose the fact that she had left the territory against the instructions of Aibreann. The safety of the pack was more important. 

But as the bear was nowhere nearby today, she continued with her exploration.
Inuttuk
Common
61 Posts
Ooc —
Alone again, he wanders, going wherever his feet take him. His latest abandoned project lays in ruins behind him, and he feels no guilt for the fact; that has always been his way. He only ever looks ahead — and what's ahead of him right now is quite an appealing sight. A pale girl, finely made and draped in snow, wounded yet determined in her stride. Not too surprising, he thinks, given the scent of bear lurking in the area. Perhaps she's tracking it... a revenge mission, maybe. The thought is intriguing. He chuffs as he continues forward, calling to her, Bit dangerous to be all alone out here with bears about, isn't it?
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
The voice made her pause and lift her head from the spot she had been inspecting. There was always a quick moment of panic anytime she met a stranger beyond the borders—a reaction from her body that took a few breaths to get under control. And once she had gotten the fear to a more manageable level, she studied the stranger more clearly. His dirt and rust-colored coat almost blended in with the fall touched field, but his posture wasn't aggressive. Besides, why would he warn her of the obvious dangers of a bear if he was a danger himself? 

She raised an eyebrow at him. Maybe, she answered first. But you're out here alone too. So what's your excuse? Did he think she was some dainty woman who couldn't take care of herself? Really, no wolf could take on a bear solo, but it stung her pride none the less.
Inuttuk
Common
61 Posts
Ooc —
The girl meets his question with her own, drawing a crooked, sarcastic smile from him. She's right to question him, after all. Bears don't like the taste of me, He tells her, and as far as he's concerned, it's the truth. Other predators have always avoided him; a blessing, really. I'm only passing through. On my way back to the sea, I suppose. A pirate never strays far from the waves for long. He glances to her shoulder. The wound isn't large enough to have been caused by a bear; disappointing. It seems you have more reasons to avoid bear fights than I, in any case.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
Simmik gave him a look of disbelief. Oh sure. Right. Bears don't like you. She rolled her eyes. Have you actually tested that theory? she asked, assuming the answer would be no but curious anyway. 

His next words only piqued her interest further. Despite her mild brashness towards him so far, she did find him amusing. A pirate? she asked. And what exactly is a pirate? She searched her mind for any time she might have heard that word and came up empty. 

She stiffened a little at the mention of her shoulder, her eyebrow raising defiantly. It's fine, just healing slowly, she lied. In truth, it was aching pretty bad already, and she knew she had pushed herself too far today. But she had no intention of going home any time soon to stew in the thoughts she was trying to avoid.
Inuttuk
Common
61 Posts
Ooc —
Her disbelief is refreshing; he's too used to being taken at his word, too used to never being questioned. Everyone seems to want respect, but no one ever mentions how boring it is. Sometimes he just wants to spew a bunch of bullshit and hear someone call him on it. In this case, though, he can't help refuting the doubt he knows to be misplaced. Yep. Maybe I'll tell you the story sometime, He says with a wink, continuing without pause. But first, I'll tell you what a pirate is. Ever been to the ocean? That's a pirate's home, first and foremost. You'll find pirates inland plenty — organized pirates are typically thieves and raiders. I departed that scene some time ago, but the rest of the lifestyle has never left me. Live by the sea, die by the sea, look out for your own — among other things. Pirates are a harsh bunch, and not very trustworthy. Hence my departure. A thin smile accompanies his words. You are fortunate to have never heard of them. The name is dreaded in many places.
813 Posts
Ooc — hela
Warrior
He apparently had tested his theory, but didn't offer any proof—only the promise of a story some other time. Her expression was still skeptical; she would maintain that he was full of shit until he proved otherwise. 

He did answer her next question, though, and she was far too interested in that to worry about his bear immunity right then. She nodded when he asked if she had ever been to the ocean. She had explored the coast once—gone for a swim in the salty water and enjoyed how chilly it was even in the summer. As he continued his explanation, her mind conjured up an image of a rough-looking wolf, sneaking into a territory not belonging to them to steal what she could only assume was food or herbs. She didn't need to hear much else to come to the conclusion that they weren't very trustworthy or the type she wanted around the forest, which brought her focus back to him. He stated that was why he left.

So, then, you consider yourself to be trustworthy? she asked, her tone skeptical once more. What made him different from other pirates? If he was different, then why still call himself a pirate?
Inuttuk
Common