Stone Circle Saying life
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
At a certain point, she couldn't just delay. She had to assign someone to keep the children corralled and headed swiftly towards Easthollow. It had been ages, she wasn't sure how long, honestly. But if the Saints were still lingering outside the borders they were beyond patient. So, time to check in with Easthollow, as the coast was likely clear. It wasn't like things were going to get any better any time soon unless wolves invented smartphones.

The trip was uneventful, and she only paused when absolutely needed. Perhaps next time she'd send Warlock -- she'd make sure to mention that here so they'd know, but with nobody in view but herself, that would be a really silly thing to say to open air. There at the borders, she howled -- mostly for @Valette, since she was the one she knew... That's right, did she really know anyone else? Hm.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette headed the call instantly, as it was familiar to her. The Matriarch made her way to the border at a quick pace. She considered Arbiter a friend, not a good friend but a friend. A fellow Matriarch she respected. It made her realize that she never went to visit the female up north. She rarely had the time will all that had been going on at Easthollow. The female woofed in greeting and then stopped before the female. "Arbiter," she verbally greeted as well.

"What brings you here? Good news, I hope?," she asked with a hopeful tone. The female took a glance over the other, she didn't look ill-kept, so that was good. She figured she managed to set up her pack after all.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Well, at least not too much seemed to have changed here. And Arbiter was also glad she didn't have to go through and explain it all to someone new. It'd just take up time. At some point perhaps she would meet other members of the pack (aside from that rather meek boy, what was his name again? Oh well, no matter). Not today. She dipped her head to Valette as she approacched.

Arbiter, though had sort of a wry smirk when she responded, Mm. Is it ever? More curiosity. We had some rather peculiar visitors recently, in more ways than one. Have you ever run into the Saints of the Dying Light? Somehow they knew of my pack from Ursus. Which from the way she said that, Arbiter definitely found it weird. Arbiter hadn't exactly had a positive chat with Merrick last time they met.  If they had met the Saints, no point in going through the descriptions, but if they hadn't, well, Arbiter would quite happily make sure Easthollow was aware just how sketchy that pack was.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette sighed softly when the other responded, it was more of an admitted sigh 'guess not'. "I try to stay positive," she admitted to the other female with a hint of a smile. She wondered how long she was able to even keep that positivity going. Valette's frown deepened. "The name doesn't ring a bell---" If only the female realized she met a member of the saints. " However, we were attacked by Ursus several times. The first time there were wolves not belonging to that pack. They had different scents. Perhaps it was them?"

"Please don't tell me you are on good terms with Ursus? They have been quite a pesky neighbor so far," Valette spoke, and that had been a friendly way of putting it. She didn't want to think if those Saints were real good friends of Ursus, then, they might be in a lot of danger. Valette had a worried frown on her face. She was very reluctant to leave the grounds they had settled for years.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Time to chuck dialog and run back to doing work, rofl.

I think there's been other news you've missed out on, but it's far older and less immediate. And from her tone, of course it wasn't good either, Some days I wish we had just stayed on Sunspire. Things were less troublesome there. She'd take a famine over other idiot wolves -- a famine had followed them anyway, so it wasn't like it was escapable. Hell, Arbiter probably should mention Terance's fate, Kaertok being missing (if only so Valette could tell him to piss right off, hopefully)... But later. 

She had thought at one point that Ursus was going to be the most trouble. Go figure they had kept distant and everything else went wrong instead. Distance made good neighbors with some, but were they on good terms good terms? I doubt it. Though they haven't bothered us at all recently. Merrick stopped by once. And he seems to take offense I didn't step in to mother him as a child -- and considering I remember him wanting to be recognized as an adult and he freely admits to killing his mother, probably for the best I didn't. I suspect his grasp on reality is tenuous at best. It was about the only way Arbiter could explain it. The way he'd acted had reminded her of some of the worst parts of her own father.

So had they escaped the Saints, then? We'll see if they strike any chords then. The Saints said they were in the mountains somewhere, but I've personally only run into them once. They're lead by a wolfdog named Donovan or Kynareth -- striped, curled tail that's stuck dominant. He apparently had a reputation with Whitebark -- my son met one of their members who had mentioned him as someone to be wary of, and we later took in another wolf who said Donovan had fought Dawn directly. Hm, how was it best to phrase the nonsense that had happened? He showed up at my borders with a wolf named Valour wanting an alliance, and the pair of them took offense to the fact I asked them what they really were wanting. They did this while the wolf who had been there and fought beside Dawn stood beside me, mind you. I can't see how they thought it would have gone well in the first place -- between attacking neighbors and using Ursus as their reference to us.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
So excited for this haha

Valette perked her ears up. What else had she missed? She felt that they had endured enough. That was perhaps why she missed other news because she was so busy with their own troubles and their grief to really focus on other packs and what happened with them. "I would like to know," she spoke, worriedly. It was good that she would know, even if it was older.

Valette out a breath of relief when Arbiter said that they weren't on good terms, because then it would be hard to be allied to Arbiter. Or, she would have to convince the female Ursus was not a nice pack. "I think you made a wise decision with that. He did indeed kill his mother Indra. She was part of this pack as well. Her sister Laurel is still recovering from it." She shook her head, still not understand a son could do that to their mother. "Better best to keep your distance with them, Arbiter," she warned her.

"Valour?," she asked, surprised. She knew Valour. What was he doing with the Saints? Valette decided to listen first before to react. Valette nodded a frown as Arbiter was done with sharing her information. "Valour saved my son once. I don't believe he is necessarily a bad wolf," she spoke. It didn't matter now, since Clay had died either way. But Valour had been a friend to her son, and she trusted her son made friends with him because of his good character.

"So these Saints with this Donovan/Kynareth figure... They are a bad wolves then? Someone to watch out for?," she asked to be sure. What Valette didn't know was that she talked to the Overseer of the Saints. "I will watch out for them, luckily, we haven't been bothered by them," she spoke. "We have been bothered a lot by Ursus. They caused fights at our borders several times," Valette explained. "All that on top of me losing my sister, a packman and stillborn grandchildren because of a cougar," she sighed and shook her head. "We got quite a lot to deal with lately," she explained to Arbiter.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Laurel was no innocent figure in Arbiter's eyes, but that was a whole different thing which she wasn't going to get into this instant. It was comparatively unimportant. Mm. They're the ones who came to my door. I think I've told enough of my members to avoid them. If they're up to trouble, not much we can do to prevent it.

Arbiter was not so forgiving. She was more apt to think Valour was more likely doing the right thing by accident and then doing the rest by purpose -- or he just wasn't very smart. Donovan hadn't struck her as a particularly clever wolf, so he doubted he could convince anyone of reasonable intelligence to follow along. Well then he'd best shape up and realize who he's teamed up with -- he was the one who got the most offended by me questioning them. They just showed up asking for an alliance, and said they'd give me time to think about it -- but think about what? They're lead by a man who attacked Dawn, and not saying why they wanted an alliance with a pack so far away. There was literally no additional information to think about. It seemed to me they needed us more than we needed them, and I don't think they wanted to say why.

As Valette confirmed, Arbiter nodded. Definitely a sort out to stir trouble. I don't know where they're exactly located besides in the mountains, nor how far they typically roam. I hope it means they're far enough that we're the edge of their range.

But it seemed Easthollow wasn't free of issues either. So, she had her own grim tale to tell, Sorry to hear that you haven't escaped problems either. I found out what happened to Terance. My son returned briefly to say he had been wounded and eventually died while they'd been off hunting. Others vanished too, but I think he's the only one you'd know. Thanks, Kaertok. And a bunch of faceless others.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette listened quietly and found that Arbiter was very wise. She had been asking the right questions with these Saints. Clearly they weren't saints, that was for sure. She would keep her members on high alert for their scent, perhaps Greyback would know more about them, or her son West. "Well, you clearly did the right thing. We will make sure to question them as well if they want an alliance with us," she stated, unknown to her, her daughter was joining that same pack. "If you need any help with them in the future let me know. We might be able to help," she added.

She let out a soft sigh and shook her head. "I really hope that they don't come to our borders we have enough to worry about," she stated. Ursus was mostly one of them, luckily it had been quieter lately. They had defended their borders well.

Valette's perked her ears up at the name of Terance. She knew that was Arbiter's mate she had been looking for. Though, it was paired with bad news and her ears fell back a bit. "I'm sorry to hear that. But at least you know what happened, that might give you some closure," she spoke, she never had that with Stark. Over the years though, she realized that she had not loved him like she loved Greyback, or had loved Steady, her first love. She quickly stopped that thought. "Can I offer you some food as a thanks for all this information?"
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
At the offer of Easthollow's help, she bowed her head. Will do. Is there anything that your pack would need to call on us for in return? Though just the same I can't say right now we can offer much -- we have mostly younger members, and those who are new and unproven. Which was frustrating for her, as well, but oh well. This was what the word had given them.

Closure. Maybe. She rolled a shoulder in a shrug, It comes with its own problems. It was easier to think he'd chosen to leave. Then she could just be angry, which was much easier for her, honestly. It was much easier to not think about the pain knowing caused. She wasn't a fan of emotion beyond anger -- or how much it might have bothered her.

A brief pause as she thought. Another hour or two wouldn't change things much. Would it? Yes, thanks. I can't linger too long though. I'm back to leading alone and with the way things have been going, I wouldn't be surprised to come back to some kind of chaos. An exhalation that wasn't really a sigh, something more stubborn than that, At some point things will have to change. One way or another.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette offered a smile and a nod at the other female. Valette could think of a few things but she wondered what was realistic. "Well, when Ursus attacks again it would be nice to just have more wolves to protect us. But I cannot possibly think how you all would get here in time. So I cannot ask that of you. Perhaps some advice? I really don't know what is the right thing to do with Ursus. I really don't want to attack them, like they keep attacking us. Perhaps keep defending our borders until they stop is the only option,' she sighed.

Valette nodded, she could relate. Steady died of a fighting accident and it had felt... unfair that he had to die. She had been heartbroken. Valette dipped her head. "Follow me," she invited her in. It would be quicker to bring her to a cache than to retrieve it for her. She wasn't sure if Arbiter had ever been past their borders. "I feel that one. I've been leading alone for seasons until Greyback came," she spoke, and lately, it felt like he was too old to lead. So she was back to being the sole leader once more. She often wondered what happened if someone would happen to her.

Valette trotted towards the stones and then moved past them, onto the plains. They had covered the bison with grass and other pieces, it was close enough to their territory only the birds were seen around the carcass. Valette turned to Arbiter. "Have your fill," she offered. One bison was always too much for one sitting especially with the number of wolves they had now.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
To a certain point, she wished she knew a bit more about Ursus -- but knowing more about them also meant that she'd have to deal with them. Knowledge versus dealing with them... Perhaps ignorance was better. Most of what I could say is theoretical. I don't understand why they're even there. You've been here well before they were... If they have such issues with neighbors, even as far as my pack... Why place themselves so close? They strike me as the sort that would return if simply chased off. Unless they've hidden away a particularly logical wolf somewhere in their ranks, I suspect the only way to actually be rid of them is to move yourselves, or to end those that lead them. Yeah uh, Arbiter didn't mess around, did she? But she didn't think Easthollow should be the one to have to leave, but nor did they seem like the type to do the dirty deeds needed, And even then, every option comes with risks, none are guaranteed. But have they angered any other wolves? Worse than they've done to you? Those would be the wolves to talk to. Either as a distraction for Ursus' ire or as someone who could provide a more permanent solution, depending on how much you like them and how capable they are.

Valette at least had things settled here. Arbiter was stricken with bad luck and bad timing... I'd been counting on him to help build the pack up again once we'd settled. I haven't found a good wolf who could replace him -- even on just a mundane front. I'm not a fan of the uncertainty. It was dark humor in a way -- she was stating the obvious -- but the change of her tone was slight. Kaertok was somewhere in the next galaxy for being a match.

Coming into the territory had come with a slight shift in Arbiter's posture. She was polite, reserved, she was keenly aware this was not her place. Her nose twitched as they got closer to the bison. Yes, Easthollow certainly seemed to be doing well, at least on the hunting aspect. Thank you, again. She delayed a moment, looking to Valette just to see if she was to join her. Arbiter was a guest, and if Valette wanted some too, it was only proper she start eating first at the very least. And if not, Arbiter would move forward, to select a place to eat. Would their conversation be essentially ending here, or just be broken briefly by her eating?
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded in agreement. "That is also what I don't understand. I think they assume they can chase use away." That was the only reason she could think of, that they were that confident about themselves. Valette let out a long sigh. "I guess you are right," she spoke and shook her head, even if they might chase them out, then they would probably return. How annoying. She shook her head. "I am not moving," she stated with certainty. She wasn't going to give up this place. This was where she would rest forever.

"I'm not sure," she admitted. "But I am kind of certain they would have with that attitude they are sporting." Valette shook her head she should really try and get more information about them, but it was hard. "Moonspear might help, if I ask. And maybe some other pack hates them as well, I could use that to our advantage," she agreed with her. Valette nodded slowly as she walked with Arbiter to the cache.

"Good mates are hard to come by," she stated solemnly. She had realized that in her life, especially the ones who would stick around. "I can imagine," she nodded. When they arrived at the male, valette showed no interest in eating herself. She nodded to Arbiter that she could eat as much as she wanted. She had noticed the change in posture. Valette really liked how respectful the female was. "Any time," Valette smiled, glad to help Arbiter after she offered so much information. She gave Arbiter time to get her fill, kind of liking the company.

"I am thinking of going to Moonspear. See how they stand on Ursus," she eventually spoke. "My son West will take the lead when I am traveling. Just so you are aware. I am considering letting him take over Easthollow," she admitted, not having admit that to many. It would be a good test to see if the male could handle being in charge. But then at least if Arbiter dropped by again, then she at least knew.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She could see both sides of the options that were open to Valette -- to move away because it was easier, or to stay put because it wasn't their fault. Arbiter wasn't so attached to land. There had been enough upheaval in her life in that she would just take a move rather than deal with the trouble. Arbiter didn't think the risk was worth it, not with the pack at the numbers it had. She settled down to eat, listening as the other alpha spoke.

There she paused, licking her lips before speaking, I haven't spoken to anyone of importance in Moonspear myself. They were Terance's friends. The last we heard from them, it was back before we moved to the bypass. I have considered going to see them, but we're too far, and I'm not comfortable leaving the pack for that long with the way things are now. If we'd stayed on Sunspire, I'm sure I would have met them eventually, but now I don't even know if they still consider us allies. She did think that pack probably did have its own issues just from what she'd heard, but as long as she didn't have to worry about being under their rule, then it wasn't something she had to worry much about.

The thing about her son perhaps leading the pack later was also worth noting. I'll have to meet him at some point, if that is your decision, she said with a thoughtful tip of her head. I guess he's proven himself over the years? She assumed years was plural. A yearling might be a bit too green to be given a pack more often than not. Maybe a wolf like herself would be fine with it, but most of the wolves in Teekons didn't seem quite so driven. And Arbiter wasn't about to go let either of her eldest take over unless they had a very significant change in heart.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette slowly nodded to Arbiter. "My son mated with Hydra's sister. We have been in contact but not close contact," she spoke. "I plan on visiting them soon, just to ask where they stand on the matter with Ursus," Valette spoke. 'I can ask where they stand on an alliance with Legion or how they see it?," she offered. If she could help Arbiter that way she would do it. She felt a kinship with the female. Perhaps because they had been leading on their own, and good neighbors for a while.

Valette dipped her head. "He has. I will make sure you two will meet. He is only one and a half, but very wise. I am planning on teaching and mentoring him. He might be young but I also started being Beta at that age." Valette then paused for a moment. "To be honest, I am kind of tired after leading for five years. It would be nice to move more to the shadows while West takes over." She told her. She liked the idea of taking a step back and take some time off with Greyback while watching West and Polaris have a try at it.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She listened, giving a slight nod as she chewed on another piece of meat. That did make sense then for why they'd kept in touch, even over this distance. I don't even know if they know my name -- other than I was once Terance's mate -- though at least they knew our pack when we were in Lost Creek Hollow. If it turns out that we should open more communication with them, that is something I want to know. I don't know how well it will work with this distance, but there are always solutions. She would figure it out one way or another, just right now making that trip on her own came with more risks than reward. But Ursus and the Saints might turn out to be a recurring problem. I'm curious to see what they know about the Saints as well. In the end, if we can assist, we will. It would have been nice if there were more warriors in her ranks. For her own sake as well.

Sounded like her son was far more promising than her own. Okay, Vex was still young and impulsive. He could turn out to be a good wolf, and hopefully Pike was off learning to be great. But he was gone. Warlock was just... Not ideal. He tried, but eh. He was lacking. Mm. For his sake, hopefully the trouble we've all had here settles soon. It's not something I'd want to have a novice leader first getting their feet wet in. None of this is like the Wilds I knew in past years. The Wilds were more often meek. Ursus and the Saints were the odd ones out. I can think of a few wolves who thought my desire to have well trained fighters was overkill -- too bad here's trouble to make it seem more reasonable. Not that she was super successful at it.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette dipped her head. "I will ask them that for you," she said. Valette was glad to hear that Legion might help to their cause. Then again, Valette really wanted to make sure the blame didn't all go to them. She really didn't want to move Easthollow and be away from her stones. "Thank you, Arbiter," she spoke gratefully. "Let's hope that something good will come out of this."

Valette nodded. "I agree," she spoke. Thinking of West trying to guide Easthollow through this. Then again, the female would not be completely gone. She wanted to guide him on his leadership. "I noticed that shift as well. I just hope that there won't be more trouble. Hopefully, some of my other kids stay or return home." She was thinking of Arlette and Merrit. The first one she hoped that she would return, and the latter would stay instead of head out to travel again. "Easthollow also went to a pack with no fighter to basically more than half specializing in it," she agreed sadly.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
And I guess we will wrap, R I P. D:

She finished what was plenty for the return journey. All things considered, it wasn't a ton. She didn't want to be a burden on Easthollow -- nor wear out her welcome. She licked her lips, getting to her feet. Thank you again. I won't waste more of your time or resources. I look forward to hearing what they say. Just let me know if I can be of aid, as I've said. She bowed her head. May things be peaceful here. She was ready to head to the border with Valette as her escort. Arbiter didn't know this was going to be the last time she'd see her, or she might have said more. Right now, there was more on her mind.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
I know SAD!

Valette nodded. "You are always welcome when you need our resources you know that," she offered to the female. "Same goes for you. I will walk with you to the border." She trotted to the border with her friend, since she did consider Arbiter her friend. "Safe travels!" She hope that she could soon give her more information about the incoming or possible war.