Firefly Glen On the Low
43 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
thread takes place on the 17th it's been over a week since Evelynn departed the Saints and she has since covered the scent!

Despite the woman's interest in tracking down this infamous Ursus, she was still less than pleased about the distance she would be forced to trek in order to get the knowledge she sought. However, Evelynn shooed her bitterness and allowed but one constant reminder to consume the front of her brain, knowledge was power, and power came at a price. She was left doing grunt work (no surprise there she was still new and likely not trusted amongst killers and savages), but if she could bring back what Kynareth desired then perhaps she would have her first foothold.

That was the whole game after all, build your connections, play it innocent, never owe favors have favors be owed. The only struggle was the fact that she just had to agree to shelter with a group hated amongst many. It wasn't a large concern for her minus never receiving the names of those that wanted the grandmaster's head, but it would make receiving information more difficult. She would have to be extra cautious.

Shortly after her departure, Eve spent some time alone, wandering in nearby territories where she knew the land was unclaimed, but far enough away from the Saints that she could spend her days planning and losing the pack's scent. Unfortunately, that included rolling in mud and gunk, something that she spent at least another full day grooming out of her fur before she went to introduce herself to the neighbors, so to speak. The rest of her time was spent traveling around the base of the towering mountain. There had been rumors of a powerful pack claiming the peaks, perhaps the whole mountain, though she hadn't really tuned in to her packmate's chatter.

Anyone up there could be sought out another day, for now, her focus was on her main objective. Ursus. They lay somewhere to the east and until she passed the second mountain range her energy was best spent traveling as far as she could. Compared to the first trip across the valley, Evelynn failed to notice a pack take residence amongst the glen. New perhaps, or maybe just out of sight enough for her to skim the claim the first time. Now though it crossed her path, no longer an obstacle or objective out of reach. Evelynn paused at the borders, skirting the heavily marked edges as she debated calling. Whoever lived here might be able to point her in a more focused direction than just "east" so, in the end, she stayed, tipping her head back to politely call for anyone who might be willing to answer a few questions.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
wc:434
Bronco hadn't been far away when he'd heard the call come forth from the borders. He'd been on the lookout for a fox that had meandered too close for comfort near their border when he heard the female's howl, and responded by lifting his head and uttering a short but polite response- that he was nearby, and would be on his way. It was a means of informing her that her presence had been noticed almost immediately without making her wait without knowing, and also a way to inform his packmates that they had a visitor, but that someone was already on their way. Regardless, it wasn't uncommon for more than one guardian to greet a stranger if they showed up, so it he never felt as though he had to handle any tough situations on his own without backup being nearby.

He trotted along the borders until he caught sight of her, at which point he slowed, approaching with a comfortably rangy stride. She was whiplike and slim, built for agility and perhaps trim from travel but she looked healthy enough. Flicking his tongue over his muzzle, he tested the air and could familiarize himself with her scent, noting that she bore a distinctly earthy tone, though it was devoid of traces of scent which might've left behind by close companionship with other wolves. A loner, he assumed- but she had the keen, intelligent and hungry look of a survivor.

He gave her a nod as he arrived to greet her, and came to a stop not far away, though he stood as a firm guardian between her and the rest of the Glen. “Welcome to Firefly Glen,” He said, his voice calm and even, though there was an uncharacteristic lack of warmth to his tone. He'd lost a good deal of enthusiasm, lately, and had succumbed to a life that was much more ordinary and quiet in the past week, and while it might have made him a better guardian to be a bit further removed from his usual friendliness, it made him realize that he felt this was indeed a job, and not something he did just for fun. And while he was every bit as attentive and present as a guardian ought to be, there was no trace of a smile to his lips, or wave to his stiffened tail. For one of the first times in his life, Bronco was all business. “I'm Bronco Blackthorn. Anything I can help you with?” He asked, flicking his ears forward, keen on sorting out what it was the stranger wanted from them.
43 Posts
Ooc —
A boy was first to answer her call. His youth was evident, but that did not mean he was small or weak, no, on the contrary, he filled his form well with evident muscles beneath his pelt. Without asking, he offered the name of his pack, Firefly Glen, how charming. She stored the name away along with his own. A strong name, it suits you well. An easy smile spread across her maw despite the rather neutral or unenthusiastic tone.

There might be, Dear. My name is Evelynn, I'm new to these lands. I'm sure you are aware of the hardships of winter, I was hoping to scout out my options before the snow comes. It was believable enough, surely there were other wolves searching for a home now. Her main task was Ursus, but any news of other nearby packs would also be beneficial to the woman. Perhaps you could tell me more about your pack, or inform me of the ones I should avoid in my travels.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
wc:538
A strong name- and it suited him. On any other day the comment might have made him bashful, but he was a poor representation of his normal self and instead felt a bit burdened by the kind compliment. He tried to accept the gesture as gracefully as possibly, but knew little about how to do so, and ended up simply pursing his lips in a somewhat strained smile that wreathed his cheekbones with false smile wrinkles. He dipped his head politely, hoping to shrug off some of the awkwardness. “You're too kind,” He said in a voice that was perhaps too quiet to have carried much sincerity, but was genuine nonetheless.

Nothing about her story seemed amiss- like many others, she was travelling in search of a homestead, where she could weather the cruel winter, and also looking out for any information regarding packs she ought to avoid. He didn't feel it was necessary to deny her any of her requests, as there was little that he needed to keep a secret about the whereabouts and qualities of packs which had sent their names whispered on the wind, carried by an ill breath. Evelynn, sharp-featured though she was, seemed to have been brought about on a fair gale, and certainly had her wits about her. Nothing thus far made him think she might not be a perfect addition to the Glen's ranks, though there was something about her that suggested she might actually fare quite well living on the mountain with the wolves of Moonspear. She looked like the sort who could withstand that physical challenge.

“Well, you've come to the right place, Evelynn,” He said. Being given the chance to talk about something that had nothing to do with his personal life was a distraction, and Evelynn knew so little about him that surely she wouldn't ask much of him aside from business matters, and that was a relief. “I can probably help you with all of that.” It was the least he could do, as a good samaritan. “May as well start with the Glen; we're a part of a triplet of three sister-packs,” He said. “A close alliance amongst three packs of family and friends, expanding together as they grow stronger,” He said. “Moonspear,” He said, gesturing to the tall, rugged pack that blossomed upward like a lily yet to bloom in the distance, “and Redhawk Caldera,” He said, gesturing vaguely toward the East- as the caldera wasn't quite as visible from the distance, “Are our sister packs.” He began. “Though we are also on good terms with Neverwinter Forest, just to the North, and Yuelong, which is along the coast.” He said. “Oh- and Easthollow. We have a couple wolves who have come to join the Glen from Easthollow as well; all in good will.” He said, with a tired, casual tone. It was nothing out of the ordinary, to him, to be able to list how many allies they had; it only made sense. Trade good for good, and no harm should come. “Have you passed by any of those in your travels?” He asked, in case she had passed by one of them, and brought news with her of their wellbeing.
43 Posts
Ooc —
Her smile never faltered once, even after he returned his somewhat meek thanks. Eve listened patiently taking note of the names offered to her while Bronco explained his alliances and their locations. All of which would surely come to be of use later on. The news of sister packs was perhaps the most surprising. The term in general was not unfamiliar, but the fact that there was a total of three. These wolves surely had spread their roots to have the numbers to sustain three individual packs. They must be well known, though she couldn't help but wonder if they were to be feared or helpful.

She hummed as if trying to recall the faces of those she passed despite her days of travel actually being isolated. You're actually the first pack I've encountered, though I did catch some scents traveling from somewhere southeast. Maybe your Redhawk friends. None of the packs mentioned though was Ursus. Maybe this pack was too far away to know of them or be troubled by whatever type of wolves lived in their "unpenetrable fortress" as Kynareth had described. There was one name that stood out though, What of that last pack...Easthollow? Are they around here too? It seems the packs here are fairly friendly with one another, it's nice to know that winter might be peaceful for once.

Rather it was true or not, it was a hook. Bronco failed to mention the Saints so either he was still holding back useful information or he simply did not know of their existence. In some way, she hoped it was the former since she still had yet to find just what exactly made the Saints so hated to have many enemies. She could take her guess of course, but assumptions never held up the way cold facts did.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
There seemed to be nothing amiss about Evelynn- she was curious, for sure, but there was no harm in that. Perhaps she was scouting for her own benefit, looking to find where she might fit in while she wandered in her travels. At least she had come to the right place for information- he wondered for a moment what might have become of her had she instead strayed to Ursus or the Saints in search of answers...There, from all he'd been told, she likely would have been held hostage or hurt or worse. And that was not something Bronco would wish on anyone. 

"Hmm, prossibly," He responded, with reference to his relatives moving around the impassable Barrier mountains to the Southwest. "Though the Copse, where the Redhawks used to live, is more Southwest of here than Southeast. And those mountains there, in that direction- they're like...impossible to cross over," He said, gesturing toward the craggy mountain range that stretched from the shoulders of Moonspear and off toward the East, beyond where he could see. "So if you're looking for a way to get South, you're best off going West, toward the coast, and then heading around the edge of the mountain range there." It would save her the misery of facing the merciless drops and cliffs of the Barrier Mountain range. 

And when she tossed him the bait, he took it. Not only with the hook, but with the line, sinker, rod and spool as well as the fisherman's gloves, for good measure, and his hat for fashion. He didn't want to see Evelynn end up like the others who had been kidnapped or harassed. And while she'd mentioned an interest in Easthollow, it seemed more prudent first to be honest, and warn her of the dangers. 

"Actually, there are a couple packs I need to warn you about." He said softly. "One of them is called the Saints, and they're...Apparently, they're nothing like what they sound like. The alpha's apparently a real piece of work, and they've been known to kidnap and attack travellers. And then there's Ursus, and they're no better. They have a habit of attacking lone wolves, and I think they're the ones that were harassing Easthollow so bad." The information was all a bit of a jumble now- all he knew was that these two packs were bad news, especially for those travelling alone. "Both of them, to the best of my knowledge, are Northeast of here; Ursus is beyond it." He said, gesturing to the other line of mountains that rose into the horizon in that direction. He sighed softly. "I think...If you want a peaceful winter, you're probably best off sticking with us, or one of our sister packs." He admitted.
43 Posts
Ooc —
Evelynn seemed to gaze off in the direction mentioned, though she was already aware of the barriers provided in the mountain range. It was the whole reason the Saints insisted on moving halfway across the map because there was only one entrance to their new home. A means of defense sure, though it was also a fishbowl if you asked her. They were practically asking to be slaughtered if the wrong people came about, though that's not to say that the Saints wouldn't put up a good fight.

The longer she stayed the more the diva believed she had found the right pack to stop by first. Bronco had been oh so helpful so far, and now he was just treating her. If only there was something she could do for him in return, but alas any favor she could offer would likely go over the young man's head. Now she had more to go off of for Kynareth. Apparently, on top of his savagery, he kidnapped. Well, Evelynn had yet to see any form of kidnapping, though little did she know in her time away, he would end up taking a captive in only proving Bronco's point down the line.

I'll be sure to keep my eyes open then. I'll keep that invitation in mind should the offer not expire. She smirked offering a quick wink before letting the smile fall from her face, I'd hate to join the first pack I see though. First impressions aren't everything, Dear. They don't always tell you everything about the people you're getting involved with if you know what I mean. Take a look at the Saints after all. She had been warned that they had enemies, but she wasn't told of their deeds. Not that it really phased someone like her, but surely any normal girl...well, they wouldn't have faired as long as she had now would they...

What's the deal with Ursus. Is there a reason for their attacks or are they just bloodthirsty? Not that it really concerned her, but if they had made enemies out of Easthollow as well, she may be able to use that. Kynareth wanted them dead, right? That was the whole reason he had her running all over for information. Perhaps she could bring home an ally along the way, though that was putting in the extra effort that really wasn't her job anyway.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
While it did make sense for her to want to make sure she'd found the right place to settle, he also didn't understand why she chose to travel more, despite being warned so blatantly about the present dangers, in lieu of settling somewhere at least for the winter. He felt confident that he came across as a sincere, and genuinely kind wolf- and took it somewhat personally when she mentioned not trusting a first impression. He took it upon himself to be exactly the wolf he was meant to be- and felt that she would likely see how truely genuine he was if only she decided to trust him but...That was her decision to make. He couldn't force her to trust him, but he didn't like the idea of her trusting the wilderness more than someone like him. Surely, he thought, no one could pretend to be as sincere and good as he was, right?

Little did he know, such deceitful creatures did exist- and that he was talking to one at that very moment. But ignorance was such a blissful thing. 

So he nodded, and offered her a kind smile. "You're wise," He admitted. After all- she might have been safe with the Firefly Glen wolves, but she might not have been truly happy. She might have been better off in Moonspear, or with the Redhawks. Maybe Neverwinter Forest might have suited her- but she had lots of options, and seemed to be faring quite well on her own, all the dangers aside. At least now she was informed; if that was all that he could do for her, then at least he'd done something. 

He had to think a moment to recall the details of what he'd learned of Ursus and the Saints. She'd mentioned only the one, but it was hard for him to pull the details of one pack loose from the other, when they'd once been allied, and had once both been considered dangerous. "I'm trying to remember," He said, as he settled back a bit on his haunches in thought. "I met a spy from the Saints once; a very, very poor one named Nyra Dyrefang. She'd been sent to Neverwinter Forest to spy on them, but myself and a few other Moonspearians found her first and she totally spilled the beans. We were able to warn them of her advance..." He said. It was a bit of a detour, but he had a point to make. 

"The Saints, at that point, were allied with Ursus- but Nyra apparently thought very little of the alliance, and wanted one of the Ursus leaders- a female who I think was named 'Blackbird,'- dead." He recalled the disdain that had been present in Nyra's voice when she'd mentioned Ursus. "The alpha male of Ursus I think...Is named Merrit," He said, oblivious to his error, "And apparently he...Well, I guess he has a reputation for, ehm...Sleeping around, a lot," He said. "Other than that, I can't...I can't really remember which crime belongs to which of the two pack- aside from being fairly certain that the Saints have kidnapped before, and both packs have randomly cornered and attacked pack wolves out in the neutral territories." He said. "Children included," He confessed. It hurt him to think of Miriam's children, and worried him to know that his own younger siblings might be in danger if they ever managed to tear themselves out of Niamh's grasp long enough to fall into trouble. It was possible- it had happened, and it could happen again. 

He heaved a sigh and shrugged solemnly. "I think they're both bloodthirsty, and driven foolish by it. Neither pack is strong enough to front a war against our alliances, so they torture and maim travellers. Not a shred of honour amongst the lot of them," He commented with a slight hiss to his exhale.
43 Posts
Ooc —
If Bronco hadn't captured her interest before, then he certainly had now. The boy knew a lot and he was so willing to freely give out his knowledge. It was almost unfortunate how trusting he was, he seemed strong, but he could be so much stronger if he controlled the free knowledge. Information would always lead to power. Unlike muscle, everyone needs intel. For what? Well, that depended on the type of wolf you spoke with.

She quipped a smirk as he called her wise. Of course, she thought of herself as smart, but it was always nice to heard flattery from others, especially when it seemed genuine and not for something in return. As the glen wolf spoke of Nyra, well, she tucked the newfound info about her packmate for later. Evelynn recalled the large woman from the sacrifice. She tore ruthlessly without a question then looked as if her world had fallen apart once she pulled the life from that poor girl's body. Seems that she was a mess on more than one front if she couldn't even keep her mouth shut.

It made her wonder, did Kynareth know of her poor performances? Surely he must, especially if she had been the reason for Ursus to turn on them. Attacking an ally's leader? Well...how stupid could you be? It sounds like the Saints need to work on their priorities. She would have scoffed, though Evelynn feared it might be perceived in a way that linked her to these "honorless" individuals. I suppose they're just a bunch of wolves with an inferiority complex if they can only pick on those they know can't fight back, though they're definitely bloodthirsty... She hummed under her breath before offering a final smile, Well, thank you Bronco. I think I got what I needed. I think I'll check some of your neighbors before I make any final decisions.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
This was delightful :) I hope their paths cross again. One more post from you would make this a trade qualifier, if you're cool with doing one more before archiving it?

Bronco snorted and chuckled softly, nodding along with Evelynn's astute observation. "I think they got a lot to work on. And if one of them ever comes around here, we'll be sure to give them the attitude adjustment they've earned," He said, with a grin and a wink; something he'd picked up from his younger sister who often did so when she was putting on an extra bit of charm. He agreed with Evelynn, of course- that only lowly cowards would attack lone wolves the way the Ursus wolves and the Saints did. Of course, he'd experienced nothing first-hand, and he was aware that perhaps some of what he'd heard might have been warped by perspective, time, and by being handed from one wolf to the next- but he still trusted the sources that these stories came from. And if he could warn others of the potential perils in the area, he would, even if he'd seen no trace of them for himself aside from a very inept spy. 

"Fair journey, Evelynn," He said, tipping his head to her respectfully. "Travel well, and I hope you find what you seek. If at any point you need anything, you know where we are," He said. He had the feeling that she wasn't the sort who would need or ask for an escort- and he felt it might be awkward to offer, as she seemed the sort who liked to take care of herself...But he couldn't stop himself from offering the pack's strength should she need it.
43 Posts
Ooc —
Sounds good! Thanks for the thread :)

The silver vixen couldn't help but titter at the male's overly confident response, wink included. It seemed he had a tad of a playful side. It was unfortunate almost, for her to be aligned with those he sought out, not that she blamed him. He had a good head on his shoulders but unfortunately had given everything he had for her disposal. He bid her farewell, going as far as to offer his pack's assistance still, something she would keep in the back of her mind despite knowing quite well she may never return.

Thank you, Bronco. I'm sure I will find what I'm looking for thanks to you. Farewell~ A smirk almost snake-like slipped past her guard, though she had been genuine with her words. At least his kindness would not be his downfall today, for now, he and his pack remained neutral, if not a future toy for her to pick at. With nothing else to add, Evelynn turned to take her leave and head for the woods to the north that she had heard of.