Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
| mostly cloudy
| 1:30PM
@Riley

Now was as good as a time than ever to meet the man that Orlaith spoke about. The crabby one she said was basically perpetually grumpy. Maybe he just had one of those resting bitch faces - but even Hiero had to admit that he didn't seem very approachable despite how much he tried not to judge a book by its cover. Honestly, it just felt like no matter how he would approach the guy it would just annoy him regardless. 

So all he could do was just bite the bullet and dive right in. Hope for the best and just be charming until given a reason not to be! It was moments like these he could just sniff out someone's trail and make this quick work instead of just wandering around hoping to find a trail of some sorts for him to follow.... it didn't help that the guy didn't seem chatty either, too quiet to listen to from a distance to pinpoint his location. 

He just had to get lucky and hope searching didn't take too long.
New Threads: closed, he's dead, let him rest
Companion: Hiero can be seen with a grizzly bear as a companion in most of his threads! His name is Dakota
Pledged
Shadewood
fine as any blade
419 Posts
Ooc —
At some point during his patrol, Riley became aware he was being followed.

At first he suspected Orlaith. She often pulled such pranks, but the tread behind him sounded different than Orlaith's limping footfall, and it was not the gait of the wolf he was accustomed to.

Riley kept his back arched, one ear behind him -- until at last the stranger broke close enough for Riley to whirl around with an aggressive flourish of his tail and show of fangs -- who the fuck was stalking him?!
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
He couldn't help but "stalk", it wasn't like he was certain on whose trail he was following nor could he really tell who it was from behind. Just as he was about to call out the guy and see if this was in fact Riley, the guy he was trying to find - the man turns with a snarl and flash of teeth. Well, it seemed this was the guy at least. Are you always this wound up? With a quirk of his brow, he chose to be cautious and not come in any closer for now.
Companion: Hiero can be seen with a grizzly bear as a companion in most of his threads! His name is Dakota
Pledged
Shadewood
fine as any blade
419 Posts
Ooc —
It took Riley a generous amount of time to realize his stalker was a packmate. On edge, he regarded the pied wolf with suspicion, his tail slowly falling as it became evident that the stranger's scent was one he'd sensed along the borders before.

Realizing he'd just antagonized a packmate far higher on the hierarchy than him, Riley's ears and tail fell at once in submission. That display was short-lived as the wolf lobbed a question at him that seemed to point fingers rather than pacify. Riley's lip curled, but he had no response. Recalling how Spica had gotten under his skin, Riley looked away and considered just walking away.

He knew that would be horrifically rude, but he didn't trust himself to answer that question. Whatever response he managed would no doubt be hostile and full of defensiveness.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
Cautious. The Constable didn't snarl back or put up a defensively-dominant stance. Instead, he kept his distance and carefully watched the posturing of the other. Orlaith wasn't a terrible person despite her shortcomings with the Constable lately, and so he trusted she wouldn't have brought someone dangerous to the pack. Perhaps this guy was just always overly defensive. Maybe one day he could relax within the riverside pack's borders - especially if he was going to be around puppies who might want to play.

Don't worry. A casual shrug was offered while Riley showed some submissive posturing after realizing what had happened, who Hiero might be. Even the flipped lip at the accusation was ignored for now. I was hoping to have a little chat, and wasn't certain if you were... well you. A chuckle, he tried to defuse the situation by not aggravating the possibly already pissed off guy. Are y'a busy?
Pledged
Shadewood
fine as any blade
419 Posts
Ooc —
Riley in charge of puppies scares me LOL

Riley kept walking, but one ear was always fixed on the pied man to his back. He'd long learned that pack mate didn't guarantee the safety of your spine - he wasn't about to have a repeat of past naivety.

The voice of the man behind him prompted Riley to slow his steps. He turned back around, the seconds passing in a quiet lull as he parsed Hieronymous' words. Riley immediately jumped to the conclusion he was in trouble. Maybe it was about his lack of faithful attendance to the borders. Or maybe... Riley just remembered his encounter with Spica. Maybe that binch had tattled. "Uh.. Sure." Riley responded, eyes averting as he waited for Hieronymous to get to the punch and discipline him or whatever.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
As his request was granted - albeit hesitantly as if Riley was worried Hieronymous would devour him any second now - the painted knight found his place next to the earth-toned man and happily carried himself on their walk. He wanted them to get off on a good foot despite the little hiccup earlier. Orlaith tells me you saved her. This brief moment didn't seem like something this guy would gallantly do just for being nice, but Hiero was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Sometimes the grumpiest people were the kindest too. I don't know much about you however, mind telling me a little about yourself? Anything will do. I can go first if you'd like.
Pledged
Shadewood
fine as any blade
419 Posts
Ooc —
The man was a natural conversationalist -- at least in Riley's opinion. He had the conversational dexterity of a shark, so maybe that wasn't saying much.

He flipped an ear back at the mention of Orlaith, followed by the mention of him being involved in saving her. He'd maybe done that - she maybe was exaggerating a bit. Either way, Riley didn't feel like a hero.

For several seconds they walked in silence, Riley turning over each of his options as if they were windmilling about. What was even worthy saying about him? Why did this guy want to know? Was he genuinely nice, or was he genuinely nosy?

"Uh," Riley grunted, grasping at straws. "Maybe you go first."
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
Not much of a talker huh? He used to it. Ira wasn't much of one either, although she had opened up a bit more recently. Maybe in time, Riley would be the same. Alright~ He hummed, wondering where he should start. Of course, there were certain topics he wished to avoid, and so he stuck to the more recent stuff. Until they both got more comfortable with one another, he kept it rather superficial for now.

My name is Hieronymous Boesch, the first thing I did entering the general area is accidentally trespass on a pack called Easthollow, do you know them? Peeking over, he tried to prompt some kind of conversation. Get the guy to be more comfortable, maybe that too would help him relax and be less... well, jumpy and snappy. After making it up to them by staying for a while, I stumbled onto Kaistleoki - and I've been here ever since! Didn't think I'd become Constable, Ira, the one who accepted me in was the Constable at the time.

Hmmm I like to sing, dance, and tell stories - although I've been doing more patrolling than any of those lately. He sighed, a little defeated at the thought despite how necessary it was for him to do well... Constable stuff.
Pledged
Shadewood
fine as any blade
419 Posts
Ooc —
Riley liked to believe his expression was unreadable even as his pied counterpart mentioned his birthplace -- but the reality was, a very subtle twitch overcame him at the mention of Easthollow. He had no memory of Hieronymous there, nor did he understand how one accidentally trespassed, but Riley listened on all the same with lips tight.

How nice it must be to be one so open, that liked singing and dancing. Riley's first thought: gay.

It was time for him to give as much as Hieronymous had. His face twisted in effort as he collected his thoughts. "I'm Riley Redle--" Nah, fuck Laurel. Riley remembered how he had played around with changing his name before. He couldn't let go of Riley but... there was no reason to keep his mother's name. He wanted nothing to do with Laurel, not after she had nearly let him die when he'd met Merrick. The thought of seeing her flee into the brush... It turned his stomach. "Riley Redpath." He reiterated, firm. "I came here with Orlaith after she was kicked out of her faerie cult." Or whatever those weirdos in the woods were. Maybe Hieronymous might fit in with them, with his singing and dancing. "When I first met her, she attacked me because I was part of a pack she wasn't friendly with. But then she got struck by lightning or whatever, so.. clean slate."

@Hieronymous - last from me since I am shelving Riley for a bit, feel free to conclude however you'd like. Riley would hang out with him for a bit <3