Noctisardor Bypass ungnädig
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
All Welcome 
with wolves both upon sagtannet and in the tangled wood, which he had begun to churlishly name "riven," mahler split his time between each claim. 
last night he had spent in sagtannet; he opted for the pleasant detour of allowing the bypass to fill his vision. appraisal of the markers before had confirmed for him the presence of a female leader who led alone, as be could find no other dominant scents. the children here were half grown. 
he would avoid the mistake that had doomed sagtannet; the new thralls along with star and asra would not be ordered to fight a war for territory he wanted for himself. not yet.
keeping well back from the borders, mahler gazed upward toward the split in the mountain he had once attempted to claim alone.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Arbiter was never a wolf of smiles. The way things had been lately, specifics aside for the time, perhaps less so than usual even. Maybe if she ran into Kaertok again she'd just neuter him. That'd put a smile on her face. He'd turned out to be such an absolutely awful choice... At least if he was gone she wouldn't have to worry about ever repeating that mistake. Oh well. The patrol gave her a good chance to be left alone with her own thoughts, contemplate her next moves and all that, then pause to pee on something or scratch the ground, continue. It was an almost soothing routine. At least until she spotted a dark figure not too far off.

Whoever it was hadn't called, had they? She frowned. At least they were from the opposite direction of the mountains that the Saints called home -- but she didn't think they'd be particularly clever enough to think to walk around to the other side. That was asking too much of them. But as she got closer and the breeze was right, she was able to scent that this male wasn't a lone. Unfortunate, she supposed, but so was life. It wasn't like she'd ever expect things to work in her favor -- that would be inviting disappointment.

So why didn't he call? At least he lingered around at some distance, but that didn't mean she was going to walk on by without saying anything. She slowed, peering attentively towards him, ever the attentive guardian, before calling out to him, This is Legion, I am Arbiter. Any particular reason you're loitering? Despite the irritation that plagued her, her tone was as even as it often was. Business meant she compartmentalized the unneeded emotions for now. They were irrelevant. Then again, if he scampered off like a scolded child at her pointing out the obvious she could go back to her thoughts. Honestly, Arbiter wasn't sure which she wanted.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
some wild part of the man wished to simply walk up and demand noctisardor. it was a quick and foolish thought, for too impetuous for the man he had become. and so mahler stayed as he was, preparing to turn away from the land on his way toward the newer claim.
but at once he was not alone. the gargoyle watched silently as a large pale figure wended down from upper trails, her voice reaching out toward him. direct, wrapped in an obsidian cowl and armed with piercing eyes the color of the sky's edge.
she was alone, he confirmed with a taste of the air. closing the space between them but maintaining a safe distance, mahler held back his words for a quick appraisal of her thickbodied strength, this arbiter. it occurred to him that he could simply offer her the power of a male partner and therefore claim the land he wanted, but mahler was dissuaded from such contemplations by the distinct show of ambition in claiming her own territory.
he needed no more women with ambitions for clawing and for control. 
the reason he had come. the gargoyle looked beyond her inky shoulder toward the piece of earth he wished was in his possession. directness, then. "i vant this place. vhat vould you require to leave it?" a transaction, as it had been with the wounded man.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
It was probably a good thing he hadn't offered. She was ambition, a patient sort that had eventually gotten what she'd wanted, and not so eager to share. Perhaps in some other life it'd be a good match. She watched him with her usual dissecting stare as he moved closer. Yeah, there was something going on between those ears that was a bit more than just idly staring into space, and Arbiter wasn't sure what that would be.

And then he went and just asked outright for her territory? Even Arbiter had to be a little taken aback by that, blinking at him once or twice. Okay, apparently this would at least be entertaining... A short laugh, Bold, aren't you? But oh, she might actually like this game! After all, his demand was a little ridiculous, so it was hard to think of it as anything but that. She'd hear him out. Was it a bad thing her expression had brightened with interest? Probably. It had been open for years before we arrived, as far as I know. You're a little late. So the real question is, what is it that you think that you could offer that might interest me for my trouble? Oh, she hoped he had something creative that she might actually consider. After all, she owned what he wanted, and moving was effort... Just how bad did he want the bypass? How well could he read what kind of woman she was, to be able to come up with something that might interest her? A catlike flick of her tail -- at the very least this was far better than wondering about other things.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
the ability to choose when you want to leave instead of being told that you must. he did not say that, however, would not seek to irritate this legion before the time had come. and so he was silent, thoughtful. the efforts of relocation now were from the peak to the brackenwood, and the bypass was rather out of the way to continually visit. unclaimed, yes, but he knew its every detail, writ into the bleakness of his possessive heart.
children. she held the land by herself and would need to confirm the promise of tomorrow with a litter in the spring. but mahler inwardly balked at the conception of yet more cubs born to him or his contractual nature. it had been a poor decision before, and one he would not make again. and it was a thought he had shoved firmly from his mind, for in its very aspect he saw wylla's face and the dying of any hope that she would return, were he to enter into a loveless matrimony for the sake of the boulderweald. 
that left either a promise to return, or a suggestion of blood. he flicked an ear. arbiter was correct in her assessment of his boldness, only that it had never been so brazen before. mahler did not have to labour for the alabaster and her black shawl, though her eyes had sharpened upon him. greed, perhaps, sparkling around the iris. "that depends if you can be bought vith meat or bought vith alliance. name the price."
perhaps he would pay it; perhaps not. in the end, however, mahler saw the reclamation of the bypass as an opus he coul not ignore.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
So how trustworthy was the stranger? Who knew. Was he being cagey on purpose? Probably. But she wanted something that would actually benefit her wolves if she was going to go through the trouble of making them relocate. It might be time to reconnect with other old contacts -- well, they weren't hers, but they definitely old. Maybe there was just some sort of Bermuda Triangle sort of effect out here because the last near-year had been particularly strange in comparison to the others.

But if he did want a bargain, Arbiter was very curious to see what sort of deal could be made. Meat is more... Transient than land. And obviously if some agreement is reached, there's the process of to find somewhere else to settle and such things. So something else sounds more fair. But what? Well uh. She was kind of working blind here... But I don't know your name nor your pack. I'm not exactly in the habit of making blind agreements -- though I do appreciate that at least you've said what you want, that's more than the last group who came by and I trust you have a firmer grasp on reality than them as well. So tell me, what do you say your pack is known for? It wasn't one she knew, for good or for bad. But were they like the Saints or were they more like distant Moonspear that they theoretically had been allied with years ago? At least the latter had never caused trouble...
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler decided that this arbiter had something in mind, but would not say it. she would prefer it be winkled from her, a wren using a twig to stab maggots from beneath bark. he swung an ear forward, shifted his weight. "i have two claims, north to the sea and eastward of here." the peak remained beneath control of sagtannet, and thus far no one had challenged the small realm in the cold forest. it was not a lie, mahler chose.
"i have relocated before. it is something vith vich i am familiar and for vich i am sympathetic." a series of a moments as he mulled her question. "ve are known for keeping to ourselves, so i do not expect you to know the name of sagtannet." she ascertained his history with her prying; mahler would show the woman that he could not be cracked.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Two claims? And yet he wanted her territory too? A twitch of an ear as she pondered that. So either he thought himself particularly powerful or perhaps he was another that was more along the lines of delusions of grandeur. Okay, could be both. She wasn't sure. Perhaps it would become clear. This is the third home we've had. Technically just hers, at this point. Most of the pack was just on two. But just the same, even if she might be playing it up a little, perhaps it would give him a better sense that this was not a decision she took lightly. It's better than past moves from past years' famines, but it is still early winter.

He still hadn't volunteered any information about what he could bring to the bargain, which was a little frustrating. But perhaps she had just phrased it in a way that he hadn't understood -- he did talk with an unusual accent, so perhaps there was a chance of him misunderstanding? That or he was being purposely dense. Do any of your wolves know any more uncommon skills that could be taught? Beyond hunting and fighting, that is. We have some yearlings that could perhaps do with expanding their interests. She had, as always, a particular sort of teacher in mind for Pheiros, but besides him, it depended. But she wouldn't say outright. Knowledge would be more useful longer-term. But she was inquisitive in her suggestion. Did he even have something that would be worth it?
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"i am a healer," he said softly, though he did not wish to give away the majority of the skills known to rivenwood. "and a traveller, if more information from roundabout would be useful."
something in mahler broke then. he lifted his gaze from the face of the legion-wolf and looked round at the bypass, the land he had long loved and long craved. why should he barter for it? 
what could be gained through word that could not be gleaned by deed? mahler stepped back. "i vill trouble you no longer. perhaps after the vinter ve vill have an accord."
a nod, and then the gargoyle was moving away abruptly, chased by anger, misery, and the feeling of weakness that was beginning to be his greatest lot.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Though what he said did pique her interest. Pheiros, of course. I might have a good student for that, she mused. It was only one thing though. She wanted more than that if she could talk him into it. Make it really worth the trouble. She'd let him know -- or just tell Warlock to send the word around if she didn't run into the youth first. He still seemed to be a bit cagey about it all, which made her wonder if he was really serious about it. Was he just wasting her time? That'd be a shame.

But then he started to leave. No skin off her nose. We'll be here to listen to a good negotiation then. It will be an interesting thing to keep in mind through the season. Not that she was looking forward to attempting to find somewhere else. But maybe something would appeal. Perhaps it could be the start of something new and fresh and whatever darkness had been here, it could just be passed to him. She wasn't going to mention the bad neighbors, she wasn't going to mention about the bad luck she had. A devil always likes a good bargain, especially when she's sure that she'll end up ahead.