Whitefish River I Used to Think That I Was Made out of Stone
lift me higher, let me look at the sun
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Private 
@Hieronymous keeping moonspear vague we will have a council meeting in another thread once it's further along

It had been over a week since the Count's return, and while she was grateful for the few days where she was able to take it easy, she could not lounge about forever. With the drop in temperature, it was safe to say winter was now here and Kaistleoki still had a bear to deal with. Perhaps Hieronymous and Speedy had made progress on that front while she was gone. Unfortunately, the bear only reminded her that she still had to deal with Orlaith. Eagerness was one thing, but stupidity was another. A suitable punishment would be found, but for now, Ira trailed along the borders in search of her Constable.
#DAA520 , pawprintIra's Playlist  3/20*, * = incomplete threads
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
The Constable was yes, upon the borders. More so watchful over them in these past few weeks than usual thanks to the strange encounters he has had. Most of them had put him on edge, the news about the bear did not help him relax either. @Nutmeg who wandered off didn't help either. They were all out there trying to put him into an early grave, after all the hard work he did to survive this long too!

The thought made him laugh. A cloud of white appearing and vanishing just as fast as the approaching winter was reminded through this. He wasn't certain which he preferred more, summer or winter. Both had their dangers... maybe summer he supposed. the days were longer and people seemed happier.

At least Ira was back to take charge, and he couldn't be more thankful now that his routine could somewhat go back to its usual stuff - with only a mild addition of anxiety to deal with. Speaking of which, he was completely unaware that that same woman was out looking for him.
New Threads: closed, he's dead, let him rest
Companion: Hiero can be seen with a grizzly bear as a companion in most of his threads! His name is Dakota
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Her search wouldn't last long, Hieronymous was rather predictable, though that was mostly due to his schedule. The roan woman picked up a short trot, a call on her lips that came out in a plume of breath, Hieronymous. She hadn't had the chance to really sit down and talk with the man since her return, or well...walk and talk in this case. I was hoping I would find you here. Knowing by now that he wouldn't mind her presence, Ira fell in line at the painted man's side. There was a lot to discuss now, especially given what she had seen at Moonspear and the bear that wandered to the South was still left on their to-do list.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
At the sound of his name being called, by Ira no less, his ears shot up with interest and turned to see her approach to his side. Things have really changed since his first days here in Kaistleoki, it was almost like night and day. Hello Ira~ Boy was he glad she was back, the trip she went on felt a lot longer than it truly was.

I'm glad you're back. And now that she was out here finding him, she must be rested enough from her travels to start catching up on things - what he assumed she was out there looking for him anyway. We have a lot to discuss... much has happened while you were away. He sighed, not wanting to just bombard her with news about business - but again, he assumed that is why she was here.
Companion: Hiero can be seen with a grizzly bear as a companion in most of his threads! His name is Dakota
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
He perked with interest, quick to return her greeting. It was nice...comforting even like she was truly home now, but maybe that's what some meant by home laying with those you hold close and not with the land in which you share. A familiar smile met her maw as she dipped her head before glancing to the river, Yes, it's nice to be back. Though it seemed her eventful trip was not without Kaistleoki's own. Perhaps he simply meant Orlaith's little trip, something she was already aware of.

Oh? I hope nothing too serious. If it's Orlaith, I ran into her halfway across the valley. She sighed brushing up against a tree to mark it. She was not eager to return, something I already gave her half an earful. Why she was so stubborn, only the Gods knew. On some days, she was proud to have the Knight Commander amongst their ranks, others she alone gave Ira a headache. Amazing how an adult could be more troublesome than her kids depending on the situation.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
Well, that is a relief. For Ira to be glad to be back despite being with someone so annoying like Hieronymous! Granted he had calmed down a lot since their little one on one months ago, sticking to his promise to back off so perhaps that had a big part to play in all of it. He simply smiled as business was quick to follow into their conversation, it was inevitable - and he was the one who initiated it after all.

It depends on your perspective. He tried to make it sound light, the smile still along his lips to try and downplay some of the news that was about to be shared. At least one of which Ira was already aware - relieving really that he didn't have to break Orlaith's disobedience himself. Is that so? How ballsy Orlaith was to approach Ira. Well, she is one of them. About her.... he sighed, taking a deep breath.

Upon her return we had a talk ourselves, it did not go well. I demoted her after being less than impressed with her... despite her bringing another Seelie Court member to join us. He says casually as if Ira already knew Lumiya had joined them - did she know that she was home for a while? I don't mean to overstep my boundaries in demoting a member, at the time, it felt right.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
So Orlaith had been one of the subjects he wished to address...though she hadn't expected him to already take matters into his own hands. She looked surprised as her gaze locked to the other. Demoted? Admittedly, she had debated the same, though figured that leaving the territory wasn't quite enough to warrant such an action...surely something else must have happened, right? Yes, well actions like that I'd rather go through me before taking action. At the very least I should have heard about this before now. Had that been why Orlaith seemed distant? She had barely caught sight of her the past few days but brushed it off as her own annoyance at essentially being grounded.

I'm assuming you have good reason to want to demote our most capable guard? Most capable aside from those in the Council of course. Even if Hieronymous had not used his skills as often, she had seen enough to know that he deserved his spot, that and he had bested her once before...that was no easy feat. The questioning tone was clear in her voice though. Hiero was never one quick to jump on someone's back for their actions, it would be out of character for him to let power go to his head.

Nevertheless, what was done was done...to go back now would show division in the Council whereas she would rather there be clear strength. Kaistleoki had to trust their leaders, and how could they do that if they could not agree together?
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
I'm aware, I apologize. It was earnest, it wasn't something he was hoping to do, ever. To put his foot down was an awful task, but a necessary evil as far as he was concerned for at the moment. I do believe it was necessary. He stood by it. The man was sorry for overstepping beyond the council and its reason for being, and yet, couldn't shake his decision as anything but right. 

An uncomfortable feeling welled up inside him, knotting uncomfortably just at the thought of speaking of how it all went down again. To recall how infuriated it had made him, for days even after the fact as it lingered on his mind. Despite how Orlaith may see him, he was a considerate man. He only wished they could see eye to eye, she would have gone far in Kaistleoki - it simply didn't seem to be fast enough. 

I addressed her insubordination in leaving the pack's vicinity while under Speedy's care, the bear didn't have to be mentioned, he knew Ira would put that piece together on her own. I offered her a warning and to move on, and it all unraveled from there. He frowned, looking away from Ira briefly as he took the opportunity to run his shoulder along a boulder... Roughly leaning and brushing against it from the nose, to cheek, to shoulder and pause. Still with his shoulder on the boulder as if it was some kind of support as if he was going to snap and break all of who he was these days.

Instead, she accused me of what only I can assume of being unworthy of Constable due to my absence earlier. That I knew no one other than Speedy and you upon my return. To which he knew wasn't true. The blatant pointing of fingers was what riled him up. To deal with a woman at her age acting worse than a child. Saying I expect too much of her to be everywhere at once, bringing Aliana into the conversation as only what I can see as a red herring to her argument.

Then his frown deepened, the greatest of her crimes to him was the following. Then there was the woman she brought back with her, Izumi of Seelie Court. She almost seemed proud and glad to hear that the Court has disbanded, I could see how much it upset the young lady. She showed no sympathy for her loss, it was abhorrent.

He shook his head, trying to ground himself once more before glancing back at Ira to hear what she thought of it all. For those reasons I demoted her, I didn't think someone so compassionless and reckless was deserving of the title of Knight Commander.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Hieronymous should have known by now that he would need one hell of a good reason to go behind her and Speedy's back, though he wasted no time jumping into the thick of it. She had noticed a few familiar scents since her return, though she failed to actually bump into any of the Court members. It was shocking to hear that Seelie Court was gone, they had seemed well only a few months ago, though she should know by now how much could change in such a short amount of time. Ira made a mental note to check on those who joined from the fairie pack later, it simply wouldn't do to not know her own packmates, not when she was Count.

For now, though, her focus must remain on Orlaith. Ira knew how brash the woman could be, but she was appalled to hear what she believed was justification. It was not Hiero who had to prove himself, he had been here long enough to show his worth, but perhaps all of the Knight's trips kept her from seeing what made him a good leader. The roan woman scoffed, giving a slight shake of her head as she looked away with a huff of her own. Orlaith had not been a part of their pack for very long, only about two months if she recalled properly, yet she had trusted her with one of their higher ranks. It seemed she did not know her packmates well at all to begin throwing the blame into the wind on everyone but herself.

To think one of their new Commoners had been dragged into the issue as well. Aliana was still making a name for herself within Kaistleoki, but she had been helpful so far. It was not her job to handle the responsibilities of a Knight Commander, it was quite the opposite, but if she believed that Aliana should be held to the same standards then perhaps she would make a better Commander down the line. If blaming her packmates wasn't bad enough, it was embarrassing to hear the welcome one of their Newcomers received...Izumi. Ira marked the name to memory, determined now to seek her out later and apologize on her behalf if Orlaith hadn't given her own yet, though from what she knew she likely hadn't.

How nice. Looks like I have a list of messes to attend to after this then...I do not think your judgment was wrong. You seemed to give her a chance to redeem herself, just as I had, though she spat it back in your face. I can't be too mad, you are second in command while I am away and such actions deserve to be dealt with sooner than later. Another sigh followed as Ira weaved her way through a tangle of tall grass and weeds, Seelie Court. They've disbanded then? Do you know why?
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
There was no absolute certainty that his actions wouldn't result in his own scolding. Despite how certain he was on his decision and that it was justified, he was not cocky enough to believe that from another's perspective, he may be wrong. If it wasn't obvious by now, he thought highly of Ira and didn't wish to disappoint her for more than the reasons that he loved her - whether or not she thought the same. 

Unfortunately, that's how it seems. I spoke to Izumi not too long ago to apologize, I can only hope that's been smoothed over to a point. It all depended on how deep the wounds created by Orlaith were, only time would really tell how the pale fairy would fair after all of this. He really was trying his best. It seemed to work with most inhabitants of Kaistleoki, it just didn't seem to work with Orlaith specifically. I was hoping it would never come to it. And he hoped, even more so, to never be in such a situation again.

At Ira's question, he somberly shook his head. Regretfully no, Lumiya simply said the Saints are not to blame, shockingly. And a long pause came. Ears folding back against his head as the following news, speaking of packs disbandingShe also brought more news upon her arrival. He took a few steps forward, eyes wide and full of sorrow and regret. Frankly, he had no idea how to break the news any gentler. I'm so sorry Ira. He could barely look at her face, afraid of what he would see.

The Empire has fallen as well. He braced himself once again, The Empress is dead... and so is her husband. I know nothing else of the others. he knew that Ira was close enough to the Empress, he wasn't sure how close however, and prepared for the worst.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
All Ira could do was give a soft hum. If Hiero had already spoken to the Newcomer then maybe she could cross that off her list, though she still would have to meet with her to welcome her to the pack herself. It was a surprise to her as well to find that for once the Saints were not the cause of something, though maybe that shouldn't come as a surprise. The Saints no longer resided in the mountains, but somewhere near Moonspear. It was far from her and eased some of her worries, though there were still other issues laying there. Yes, well at the very least the Saints seemed to have moved far from here. Somewhere to the West and out of our fur for now...

What came next, however, took the Count by surprise. He apologized, a somber look filling his features as his eyes couldn't quite meet hers. What could cause such a reaction was beyond her, but it was more than concerning as her brows furrowed. What followed though...left her speechless. Gone? The Empire had disbanded? They had been quiet recently, but surely they had handled themselves, Reiko was...dead... her mouth opened to speak though nothing came out as the news slowly processed.

Reiko was dead...and so was her husband. It felt fake, like some twisted cruel joke, and while Hieronymous was a jokester, she knew he was not the kind to joke of something so...horrible. She felt numb, like the woods around her had fallen leaving her in a void, a space that only she and Hiero took up. Golden eyes dropped, staring blankly at the forest floor as her mind raced to deny the fact. She hadn't seen her friend in so long now, she couldn't be gone. They had so much to catch up on, they had to introduce their kids and bring the packs together she— she couldn't leave... she couldn't go...

Ira had never been the type to cry, too used to hiding her emotions behind bricks and keeping a stoic expression, but now...something stung more than the light watering of her eyes. Reiko had been one of her first friends, maybe even her first if family was excluded. Her apprentice...she was too young to die... swallowing a lump that had begun to form, Ira managed a short  reply, not daring to look up. How?
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
Well away and out of their fur was the best news he had heard in what felt like a long, long, time now. He needed that. The last thing he needed was for them to keep skulking around - so maybe that black troublemaker from the hunting grounds wasn't one of them? Perhaps her attitude being similar to Nemisis was all coincidental after all if they had moved that far away.

What came next shattered him again, perhaps harder than the news of the Empire falling. Watching Ira crumble as she did at the news of her friend's death was hard to watch. He wanted to go to her, to hold her close and tell her it would all be alright. He wanted nothing but to support her at this moment, as a friend. His paws nudged along the ground, barely moving but a jitter as he stopped to remain standing where he was. 

She didn't like being touched. He had to remind himself. 

I don't know... The words felt heavy in his mouth. He wanted to have everything she needed, all the answers right here and now - and yet, all he had was that one giant bombshell to deliver with no shelter to offer. There was no news on the puppies, I assume they are alive - where I don't know... I hope to go searching whenever possible. Soon would be preferable, but there was so much to attend to. 

It was just another reason why he was short with Orlaith. His patience could only be spread so thin with so much bad news put onto his plate, to deliver to the Count himself. The last thing he needed was her making things that much harder.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
At first she could not see him, but the shuffling of paws soon brought the painted pair into view, though she still did not lookup. He didn't know...and if he didn't know she may never know who to blame. It was without thought that she nudged her head to his side, half leaning half hugging against the now close support as her weight fell heavy with his words. She couldn't bear to think of her children now...Ira could only hope that they had followed some members of the pack before disbanding. They were just barely older than her own and while she liked to think her children were capable, she hated the idea of anyone that young off on their own.

She nodded against him weakly, her jaw clenched as she swallowed again. There's three. All white around Wynter and Nutmeg's age. She too wanted to search and under different circumstances, she might have even gone right then and there, but she did not. Unfortunately, kids who could be who knows where by now could not be their priority. They had been sister packs, but now Kaistleoki was alone, and therefore...Kaistleoki came first. Is that all? Gods please let that be all. She hated to ask, but she couldn't let her emotions topple her now. Not when her pack needed her. If any more news had to come, let it be good. How else could she turn back to her duties if something else had to be layered on top of that.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
He was stuck. Like a mouse on a trap, he didn't move an inch further despite everything wanting to be there for her more than just standing there like some useless lump of flesh. And then - his heart skipped a beat. The sudden shock of feeling Ira pressing against him nearly put the poor guy in a state of shock, blood rushed to his face and he nearly melted into her. He kept strong enough to support her as she needed it most, this was all about Ira right now. Not the Count, not the roan woman, but Ira herself. He'd be the stone she oh so needed right now. 

He nodded and took their descriptions into memory, carving them into his mind, sure to never forget it. I will find them. He reassured finally, perhaps that would help ease the awful news. He couldn't imagine the loss she felt. His heart ached for the Empire wolves and what they all lost, a friend, a leader, a mother - what more it was to Ira he couldn't be certain but enough was good enough for him.

Is that all? she asks, and he couldn't bear to keep bringing more to her attention. The rest could wait for another day, the major news is what needed to be shared for who else would be better to break the news to her? He wasn't even certain if Speedy knew by now... he certainly didn't tell her yet either. Yes. He uttered softly into her. Would you like to keep walking? Knowing her well enough, perhaps a walk would help ease the pain and make her presentable again. She needed time to grieve away from prying eyes, for as long as she needed.
893 Posts
Ooc —
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
For a moment she just stood, silent as she was embraced by the painted man. At some point, it registered in her head what she had done, but she was too shocked by recent news to really care or move, so instead, she embraced it, nuzzling for a moment longer before Hiero finally spoke up. "Would you like to keep walking?" Maybe that was for the best. Keep walking and put it behind her like every other tragedy she faced. Unlike the others though, she knew this one could not be thrown behind her so easily. She wanted to do something, though without a body a burial was not possible. A tribute maybe...something to leave at the Pillars, or perhaps her old garden. She would think on it, but for now, she nodded, slowly pulling away so that they could continue on.

Let us finish what we have started.
369 Posts
Ooc — Noki
Guardian
Away
He wouldn't rush her, as long as she needed someone to hold her, he would remain for as long as it was necessary. Burying himself in her fur he nuzzled back, comforting her the only way he knew how - through touch, as precious as it was a gift that evaded him, he put high value in its power. Once Ira was ready to continue, to walk off the grief as much as anyone could with such heavy news, he'd walk with her. Making sure to only leave her side to take the lead on marking certain spots so that she may focus on her own thoughts - and once he was happy with it, would return immediately back to her side. 

It would take time for her to grieve, and eventually, they would find a way to commemorate the fallen comrade.

Last! <3