Firefly Glen Away From The Tundran Vale
4 Posts
Ooc — Jack
Joining 
When did my handle of life break?
So thought Ranier as he padded across the softened, damp ground, at last adopting a slower pace. He'd been racing at top speed for who knows how long, after breaking free of the poacher's cage and shedding his forced harness. It had been a narrow escape; a faint smell of resin leather and gunpowder still clung to his fur.

For the first time in years, he'd bitten off more than he could devour with those fur trappers. Ranier had been confident in his abilities to protect his pack from abduction; only to have been abducted himself. Still, at least he had stopped them from taking the young, even if it meant he must pay the price with this forsakening.

The ruddy, boglike landscape around Ranier reminded him strongly of his home in the vale. Zov Tigra's rivers would often overflow and soak the ground into trecherous muck, particularly in winter. He wasn't sure until this moment what had drawn him here, but that most certainly would be the culprit; a natural sense of familiarity in this foreign territory.

Ranier paused in his musings. The faintest trace of bestial musk tugged at his senses, and he lowered his snout closer to the ground. Wolves. Instinctively, his eyes darted about, searching for signs of stalking, fellow predators, skulking behind cover. If he were still alone now, it would not be for long.

Weighing his options quickly, Ranier deliberated. There was no way to know if these wolves would treat him as a hostile, and yet he would be unlikely to evade a pursuit in an unfamiliar terrain. And without knowing pack size, an aggressive approach could be suicide. So, parley until time for fight-to-the-death, settled, then.

Settling on his haunches, Ranier faced the lush green canopy and let out a deep howl.
inhale the stars, exhale fire
330 Posts
Ooc — gerra
When much of his recent ranging had turned up little of real interest, he had returned to the Glen for a short rest--but even then, Antares was loathe to stay still for long. Restlessness had still crept up on him fast. There was plenty he could stick his nose into around here, and since he felt like most of his tenure as newly minted second-in-command so far had been spent on the go, he had plenty to keep up on. The dark Ostrega was prowling for sign of Bronco at first, though the howl that beckoned his attention elsewhere felt like a worthy distraction.

He veered his route and found course, able to surface from the darkness of their woods to find the stranger that had found them. Or so it appeared. Antares tipped up his ears and approached, bold, though with a long walk that still seemed casual. You called, he said as he started to slow, obvious that he answered on behalf of this glen. The winds made no indication of this traveler's intentions here, so he would find out. Even his scent was all foreign to him. This man was not a Teekon relative of theirs, but, certainly, a presence of his own worth an interested eye.
Epsilon
268 Posts
Ooc — Gina
Damn. I got shadow posted.

Another howl, another wolf beckoning a wolf of the Glen to come meet them. This time, however, she was not sleeping, nor did she recognize the voice but still, the silvered valkyrie got to her feet and went to answer. Her own song carried a reply to him, a simple I am on my way. before she set off, looking to the sky to see that day was giving way to night, the curious and ethereal time known as twilight taking over.

There. She spotting him, cast in black and chrome, colors not unlike her own though laid out in a different pattern. In front of him, Antares, a wolf (and nephew!) that she did not know well just yet. One of the Betas had beat her here, it seemed, though it did not drive her away. Instead of leaving, she continued her approach, stopping near her leader and looking to the wolf that had called, wondering what he would say.
10055/50000 (10055/50000)
4 Posts
Ooc — Jack
Two had answered Ranier's call, arriving from seperate directions. Despite the unthreatening demeanor of the newcomers, Ranier still tensed in anticipation of a pincer strike, though he retained his implacable composure.

The first was a dark, lean-figured male with abnormally-pronounced hackles. His countenance conveyed authority; a clear signal of high placement in a hierarchy. The second was lithe and silver, her fur shone luminously in the twilight. Ranier faced the former.

"Greetings, friend. I hail from Zov Tigra, of the Zov Wolfos pack. My intentions are peaceful and wish no quarrel with your pack." Ranier paused a moment, then inclined his head to acknowledge the smaller female who accompanied the male, before returning his gaze to the first arrival.
330 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Keres arrived not long after him, though she had announced her coming, while he had opted not to. But, bolstered now with the company of his aunt in the event of this going sour, he remained comfortable--channeling his best attempt the experience his family members carried with them, and maybe an ounce of something like Osiris' more welcoming disposition. Firefly Glen was new still, and newer than that was him having true responsibility to these types of encounters. He was determined not to feel outclassed in the company of wolves old enough to be his parents.

Anyway, all was well, so far. He gave his aunt half a glance, welcoming her input should she have any, in any capacity. However, Antares did not recognize the pack the stranger mentioned, or the place it had hailed. The stranger claimed to come in peace, and nothing on his countenance seemed to suggest otherwise. What are your intentions here? This is Firefly Glen, the beta said about the woods, his dark muzzle gesturing at large.
Epsilon
268 Posts
Ooc — Gina
The outsider's greeting was returned with a nod, remaining silent as a stone as the two of them spoke. Just as Antares did not recognize the names of the places he hailed from, Keres did not either, and flicked an ear when her nephew looked to her. In this moment, she had nothing to say, nothing to add, and so kept her attention settled on the stranger.
4 Posts
Ooc — Jack
"Firefly Glen," repeated Ranier. "What a peculiar place. You have flame-bearing insects?" Curious. While the vale had all manner of different and sometimes odd wildlife, the idea of melding insects and fire was particularly bizarre.

"Nevermind that. I am far from my home, far across the sea. Poachers attempted to take the young of my pack. In my fight, I was taken, and brought here. When I escaped, something drew me to this place. It reminds me of where I was. The land is good land. Not fully solid," he added, brushing his paw across the silt absently. "But good land, nonetheless."
330 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Antares replied first with a slow nod, careful to keep his expression steady even as he listened on. It was all the wrong time of year to explain fireflies, frankly. He could show them off best only by example.. because he didn't know too terribly much about bugs. Not exactly flame, but still a sight to see.. he edged in before his ears met so much more. Nevermind that, indeed.

It confirmed that suspicion he had caught onto early. This fellow was from lands so far from here that Antares had no hope to picture them. Across the sea, separated by poachers, escape.. It was far more than the average tale that came to them, and even there, he sensed a looming depth. In the end, his gut didn't disagree with the stranger's appraisal of the lands, though packaged curiously to him. Not fully solid? He felt the urge to glance at his aunt then again, looking to gauge her reaction as well but he felt he must forge on with his own explanation. We are still a fresh claim in such a formal sense, but an extension of an old one, he detailed, since the company had been forthcoming with his details. The least he could do was tell him more about the place he had found himself drawn to after.. all of that

With a gesture in its vague direction, he went on. We come from the mountain, Moonspear. These have been my family's hunting grounds for years.. Antares said. Now, with that in mind, if his assumption was correct: You seek a new start, hunting and ranging with us? he asked.
Epsilon
268 Posts
Ooc — Gina
The cadence of the stranger's words spoke of an alternate language, something she paid careful attention to, her ears pitching forward to actually hear what it was that he said. There was no direct answer to what Antares had asked, and she would wait for a break in their conversation to pose it again. First though, she would add to what had been said with what she remembered Osiris saying, pride thick in her voice.

We, and Moonspear, aim to keep these lands safe and secure for all that live here. What skills would you bring to the Glen, if you are seeking to join?
4 Posts
Ooc — Jack
Ranier dipped his head, contemplating the question posed. The odds of him returning home seemed very slim, he supposed it was time to consider a new home. And these lands definitely resonated with him.

Deciding in that moment, Ranier faced the two other wolves. "I would join you. I was my former pack's warrior and guardian; my role was in expansion--and protection of--our territory and the safeguarding of our pups. I have fought tigers, bears, and the occasional other wolf. My prowess would be useful to you."
330 Posts
Ooc — gerra
While he certainly wondered why, precisely, these lands reached out to him, so far, Antares was not finding any reasons to deny him. They had collected an assortment of fresh faces for the Glen already, some he had yet to know further; with them came a wealth of experience from elsewhere, and the Moonspear-turned-Glen wolves were adaptable already, thoroughly able to put it to good use.

Nevertheless, Keres helped press for the specifics, and they got them fit suitably to Antares' taste, honestly. Selfishly, he fancied more experienced sorts to train with.. and here came this fellow, of distant places that he didn't seem attached to, with past history of a variety of foes--living here to tell the tale, obviously. It of course prompted the thought of if Osiris might feel the same should he be here in his pawsteps, or more so, Hydra, Dirge, or Jarilo even.. but between him and his aunt, no one was disagreeing so far outwardly. Point being, he had appealed to the young Ostrega's interests. I do think so, if our cause may have your loyalty.. he paused. Keres had alluded to it: to protect what was theirs, and the wilds at their reach, loyal to the towering mountain's queen first and foremost. They could tell him more in time. I suspect you may fit in well here with us. What should we call you? he asked. I'm Antares. Beta of this claim with my brothers, he then gave space for the valkyrie to add her two cents there too, before he provided much else.
Epsilon
268 Posts
Ooc — Gina
What the hell was a tiger? Moving on, she found it hard to believe that the man had battled a bear and bore no visible scars, but she had seen luckier men before this one. And another wolf to keep watch over the borders and those within them would certainly not hurt, especially with the coming storm that none of them knew of quite yet. Antares would accept the man then, her posture losing some of its resolute stiffness then.

Keres, She said after her Beta, introducing herself as well.