Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
This is forward-dated a few days.

The following is more of a mild trigger warning than a mature one but I wanted to be sure to include it...

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: suicidal ideation.

She should've turned back days ago, though how could she give up on the man she loved? And there was some part of her that believed she deserved this abject misery. She'd pushed Atlas, hadn't she? The memories of that night had begun to warp in her mind, until Meerkat remembered trying to insist he go visit the graves, despite his clear discomfiture. He'd cracked under the pressure she'd placed. She hadn't known about Osiris and Leta then, though Meerkat still couldn't stop blaming herself for triggering the breakdown which had led to Atlas's disappearance.

When she reached the bleak, frosted coastline, she eyed the waters warily and steeled herself. Forgetting there was a land bridge she could seek to make dryer passage, she waded into the frigid sea, her muzzle pointed at the island where she hoped to find Nǚwū. Maybe she'd even find Atlas or some sort of lead, though by now Meerkat had seriously begun to doubt she'd ever find him. She might never see him again.

That thought hit her like lead, weighing on her heavily. Her limbs felt sluggish as she continued pedaling them. Actually, she really couldn't feel anything at all. A sense of panic jolted through her as her survival instincts urged her to kick faster, harder, to finish her bid for Wheeling Gull's shore. But she was so tired. And so despondent. And Atlas was gone, just gone.

She stopped kicking.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Casting oneself in the sea had been on Maegi's mind a lot, lately. Perhaps that was why she found herself at the beach today, staring out over the waves. Only Titmouse was keeping her metaphorically and literally afloat, on terra firma. Everything else seemed a cruel illusion, like reality was just out of reach.

But that didn't mean she wished the same fate on anyone else. Well—that wasn't true. Her enemies could rot. But all the rest—

A wolf was coming, choosing to brave the waves rather than use the land bridge; Maegi wasn't even sure if it was above water or not. She watched the figure approach, the golden fur reminding her of that girl, Fen. Fear and hope overtook her both at once. While it would be nice to see the budding poison-master again, any Redhawk that came within a mile of this place was a threat.

She was mulling best and worst case scenarios when the wolf suddenly disappeared from view, not so far from the island's shore. Her stomach dropped as she realized whoever it was had ceased actively swimming, and was being carried in by the tide—but fast enough not to drown?

What are you doing, Maegi?! But by the time she'd asked herself that, she was already belly-deep in the icy water, stumbling along on her three good legs. She let loose a howl for help, then pressed doggedly on toward the sodden shape, aiming to grab its scruff and pull it to safety.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
But as much as Meerkat adored Atlas, he was hardly the only important wolf in her life. There was her whole family at Redhawk Caldera, namely her mother, as well as her extended family in Moonspear and Firefly Glen. Perhaps, above all others, there was her brother, @Bronco. As her eyes closed and her head sank beneath the waves, she saw his face in her mind's eye. He'd already suffered so much, she couldn't put him through this too...

She began kicking with all her might. Her head broke through the surface and she gasped in a breath of air which, quite frankly, made her chest burn. Salt stung her eyes, forcing them shut, so Meerkat didn't even realize she wasn't alone until she felt herself being dragged. Through slits, she saw flashes of white fur and desperately moved her legs, trying to help this stranger help her toward Wheeling Gull's shore.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
1,293 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Tactician
Seer
He kept an eye on his wife when he was awake and attentive enough to do so, often prefering to hide among the groves dotting the island instead; but this time he was drawn from the cold shadows and towards the beach. Mou had thought to find her something like a gift: a warm meal, maybe a cluster of frosted flowers.

He was distracted as he investigated the fringe of the woods, then the gorse lining the sand, and finally he turned his attention to the sea as it undulated darkly on the horizon. Unfortunately the golden glimmer of Meerkat's body was stuck in the vantablack of his blind side; but the other eye, the intact one, watched as the white blot that was Maegi moved across the land bridge — then off of it.

What the hell are you doing? Mou thought. His short fur spiked, his tail raised. Maegi's twisted leg wouldn't be of much use in the vast sea, and with the weather so grim, the season so cold — was she trying to hurt herself? The man was launching himself in to a run, reaching with his long limbs and devouring the sand.

Maegi was reaching for something in the water. Mou tried to bark and get her attention but the sound came out a wheeze, easily dwarfed by the ocean's rumbling. The stranger's golden fur sank in to the dark ocean and Maegi went after it; so Mou was left to pace in the shallows, afraid to throw himself at the mercy of the ocean himself.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
*shuffles this along rq before bed*

It wasn't long before she began to sputter and stall. If the other wolf hadn't found some semblance of life and started paddling, they both would have been goners. Maegi surged forward, swallowing icy water as she awkwardly grabbed the stranger by the scruff.

It was like fighting against a storm, waves lashing, salt stinging. Her eyes were screwed shut against the maelstrom; she found her way only by feel, pressing her paws against the sand to anchor her, measuring how far left to go by how high the water lapped—chin. . .neck. . .shoulder. . .

With luck, their combined energy would bring them to dry land. Only when (if?) they got to shore did she notice Mou. Given the situation, a rueful, apologetic glance from her end was probably the only thing she could do right now.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Much of her body had grown numb in the frigid seawater, though Meerkat knew they'd hit the shore when the sense of weightlessness vanished, as did the pressure at her scruff. Shortly after that, the windchill let her know she was no longer in the water but on dry land. With a little cough, she slumped and began shivering. Hot tears sprang to her eyes and began trickling down her face, unnoticed save for their warmth.

Tipping her head, the pale youth looked up to see she had not one but two rescuers. She blinked, registering that the grayer wolf was dry. Her wet whisky gaze flicked to the white she-wolf, also dripping wet. The left side of her face was pulled into strange smile. It took Meerkat a moment to realize it was a wound of some sort, a scar. She thought of Toad and blinked again as more tears slid down her face.

"Tha—thank-k you-u," Meerkat said through chattering teeth.
1,293 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Tactician
Seer
As soon as the pair of bodies are driven against the sand, Mou is there. He was not the strongest wolf on the planet but he had to try and assist in some way, so he drew up alongside the soggy figure of Meerkat and grabbed for them, roughly pulling with his teeth and then stepping over them to drag with his reedy forelimbs.

A glance from Maegi registered in his periphery as Mou hastened to check his wife over, searching for possible wounds, for the scent of poppy — wondering if she dove in first and why, hesitant to touch her in case she was seriously injured.

Below him was the golden stranger and as they blinked up at the two ghosts, teeth chattering through words, Mou finally focused on them.

Sshhh, he hummed softly, drawing a warm tongue across the castaway's face to try and bring warmth back to it — as a father might. The salt taste was stronger than anything else and nearly made him gag but he kept at it, trying to get blood flowing.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Sure enough, she gave Mou a grimace, stepping back to shake herself out. Her sides were heaving, breath and heart both coming fast. It had been peak foolishness to jump into the water like she had. But when she saw the young woman, heard her words of gratitude, Maegi forgave herself. It had been worth it.

The w-waves are hard to swim through on a g-g-good d-day, she remarked, teeth also chattering as she forced them into a smile. The situation merited some levity after what they'd been through. With these storms, it's almost impossible.

She watched her husband lick the girl's face dry, and her stomach plummeted. She wasn't much older than Miseria or Hypnos; the sight of Mou being fatherly brought equal parts sadness and yearning within her. Her eyes were latched upon him for several long moments, captivated by his tenderness. 

Then she shook herself again, bringing herself back to the present. What brings you here? Maegi asked gently, looking at the girl—who wasn't, she realized now, Fen, but rather, a new face. Fear of the Redhawks subsided, at least for the time being.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She wanted to say more, though her teeth chattered so badly that she couldn't manage words. And then a warm tongue was pressed to her face. It surprised her a bit, though Meerkat gratefully leaned into the gesture. It helped chase away the chill. The shivering continued, though she regained control of her lips and tongue even as the she-wolf remarked about the storm, then asked what had brought her here.

"I'm l-looking for someone," she told them, "a black-k wolf with yellow e-eyes. Atlas." Letting out a whoosh of breath, she pressed closer to the male's warmth and made a query of her own, adding, "What are y-your names? I'm Meer—Meerkat."
1,293 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Tactician
Seer
He didn't relent. Even when Meerkat began to explain herself Mou was busy trying to dry her off, warm her now slick face, and busying himself with getting up close and cuddly; he didn't care so much if it bothered the stranger or not, he wasn't about to let them freeze to death - he didn't want to lose any more children.

They mentioned looking for someone. The description was vague. Mou chuffed, Titmouse, and motioned towards his wife, Maegi.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Another shimmy, sending droplets of seawater sparkling from her pelt. She shook her head softly at the description and name. They're n-not here, I'm afraid, Maegi replied, frowning in sympathy, nor did we run into them in our recent t-travels. But she would certainly keep an eye out. The girl's desperate swim across the channel made her believe this Atlas was quite important indeed.

Then introductions came, and before she could respond, Titmouse—to her surprise—jumped in instead. Her eyes cut sharply over to her mate; it was her turn to question his sanity.

She could be anyone, Maegi fretted. And now she has our names. Our real names.

It's nice to meet you, Meerkat, she said, smiling to alleviate the worry in her heart, the slight twitch of her jaw. I'm sorry your f-friend is missing. The shudder was beginning to subside in her voice as she warmed up. She suddenly envied the girl; what she wouldn't give to have her mate lave the frigid ocean from her body, too. . .
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Looks like auntie and uncle get #500! :D

There was something vaguely familiar about his name, though Meerkat couldn't place it. She didn't have long to think on it, Maegi's response effectively capturing her attention. She swallowed at the news, which was not unexpected by this point. Fresh tears welled in her eyes and slipped down her cheek, salty as the ocean but much warmer.

"Thanks," she said quietly again, letting herself feel at a loss for a moment before harnessing what precious little was left of her energy to ask, "Could-d I stay here for a little b-b-bit? I know Nǚwū," she mentioned, if it might help her case. "I just nee—need to get dry and warm. Maybe res—rest a l-litle."
1,293 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Tactician
Seer
With the majority of the chill removed from Meerkat, he moved on to his wife and settled in beside her. As he began to groom at her neck and cheek, then across her face, he paused long enough for her words to stammer out.

Mou was busy squishing himself up against Maegi and did not pay attention to the girl's question. With Maegi he was a little bit rougher, a little less patient, maybe because Meerkat was so much younger and seeing her in that frigid state sparked a fatherly instinct within himself.

He settled down quickly enough, though.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She did not, however, get the same tender treatment, and it rankled her slightly. Not that she was expecting to be treated like his daughter—but perhaps it was some retribution for her running away on the beach. They remained close, but there was a chasm between them.

A chasm in which the cries of their dead and yet unborn children rang out.

I'm sure that would b-be all right, Maegi replied, trying to keep her focus on Meerkat rather than Mou's ministrations. If I remember correctly, Nǚwū is the leader's d-daughter. One of them, anyway. We can ask for you.

After all, it was only a short stay.

And yet the sandy color of her pelt had Maegi recalling Fennec, and with it, the undeniable truth that Fennec belonged to them. And now Mou had given their names—

The sooner they returned to their obscurity on this island, the better.