Stone Circle Insight I
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
All Welcome 
@Valette and @Siarut (I know this char is on PPC, so this is just for visibility!) - Others are also more than welcome
Ivory Rose tags for reference

The way had felt infinitely longer without @Takiyok at his side. The trek through the mountain pass had been easier than it had been in the times he had done similar journeys, thanks to @Zephyr. The new solitude was raw and harsh, like entering a dark cavern after laying in the sun for too long. Since leaving the woods, Taikon was focused solely on his goal to find Siarut at Easthollow and tell him where his daughter was. He'd left Taki and Taktuq alone only because, after discussion and tears, he and Taki had decided that he was the best person to go in her stead.
There were people monsters out there that wanted to hurt the children of Easthollow. He did not know if it was Ursus at fault, or if some other strange things were about. There was a cougar prone to violence to the West, and who knew what Sagtannet had become in the North. Bad things were afoot, and Takiyok's brother and by extension, his pack, needed to know.
The prince was not the most royal-looking beast, of late. The journey had taken a week of a steady, loping pace through mountains, across streams, through plains and forest. He had left looking already rather thin, and though he had taken a week to rest just before, the days travelled showed sharply in his weary eyes and unkempt appearance.
A thick, white winter coat hid much of his discomfort, but it was clear from the muscles at his hips and shoulders that he was not in a great state. He had eaten three of the days he had travelled, which while perfectly comfortable for a pack wolf that ranged only around one territory per day, it was not the calorie density he had needed to look well upon Easthollow's doorstep.
Taikon set down a small squirrel he had caught before coming to the border, hoping that it might appease Siarut's distrustful nature. Then, he howled for the brother, making it clear that he brought urgent news regarding @Taktuq.
relatively thin from illness (Apr 13, 2020)
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Sorry for the wait!

Valette trotted to the border when she heard someone howl for Siarut. She knew he was busy with the pups at the moment. Perhaps, she could take the call for him. She saw a light golden male at their doorstep. She lifted her tail but had a gentle wag in it. Since they howled specifically for Siarut she assumed it might be family or someone familiar to him.

The female approached. "Hello," she greeted. "I'm Valette. Matriarch of Easthollow. Siarut is busy at the moment," she revealed. "Could I help you with anything?," she asked curiously. Her disposition was friendly enough. Still this was a stranger to her so she was paying attention and not completely relaxed.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
no prob

Valette, and not Siarut, appeared then. As soon as he saw her, the pallid male lowered himself slightly, maintaining a respectful posture and keeping his eyes away from her gaze. The woman introduced herself, and at this Taikon's ears perked. He remembered that Takiyok had told him Valette was a reasonable woman. Taikon nodded his head.
He made a deep, low bow as was his style when introducing himself. I am Taikon, of the Ivory Rose across the Sunspires. I come with a gift, and bearing news of Siarut's missing daughter, he said, before rising again. This style of speaking was hardly normal for him, but had long served him well among strangers. Coming from royal blood had few benefits, but this was one. As he rose, he nudged the squirrel toward her, hoping that she would accept it.
Stepping back from her, Taikon sighed. Taktuq is safe. She is across the mountains with Takiyok and myself, he began, offering a small, pained smile.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette dipped her head in greeting when the other introduced themselves to her. "Ivory Rose? Is this another new pack?," she asked curiously. She felt a lot of packs came and went. But perhaps this one was here to stay. "Where precisely over the sunspire mountains?," she asked out of honest curiosity. She started her adult life on Silvertip mountain. Perhaps a pack would settle there once more.

The female looked at the squirrel and seeing the male's condition she could understand the importance of the gift. Valette accepted it since it would be rude not to accept it. "Thank you," she spoke after placing the squirrel down.

"Taktuq?," Valette breathed. Ever since the pups were older and didn't need her as desperately as when they were younger, she mostly left Sia in charge. She hadn't been aware that the girl had been gone that long. Still, she was glad that she was with Takiyok. She had met the female. "Oh, wonderful. I'm glad to hear it," she sounded relieved. "I will tell Sia not to worry then," she nodded.

She looked over the traveler. "Would you care for a rest and a meal? That would be the least I could offer you," Valette stated. They took care of Sia's pups now, of her sister's daughter. Valette wished to help. "Perhaps we can even speak over an alliance between Easthollow and Ivory Rose."
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
The Ivory Rose are forming in Blackfeather Woods, near the foothills of Sawtooth, Taikon answered, knowing well that it was important for people to have as up-to-date information as possible when it came to claimed territories. The prince had no idea that his own map had become distorted by old information, though he knew at least that the Saints seemed to have left the canyons. He gestured with a toss of his head toward the west.
Valette accepted the gift gracefully, and he was very pleased that she would give Siarut the news. He wasn't sure how Takiyok's brother would take it. He knew that if the northerner had been the one to answer the call, no doubt he would have been less gracious and kind. Taikon had expected far more questions and opposition and distrust, but Valette was cordial.
At the offer, he breathed a soft sigh. That's very kind, thank you, he answered, taking a step forward. I'm sure that an alliance would be beneficial for both of us, he agreed, following her lead. He had never been to Easthollow and had generally avoided the surrounding areas because of their proximity to Ursus, but he was glad to be seeing something new. He was more than glad to find that Valette's was a friendly face.
As Taikon followed Valette, he swallowed a small lump in his throat, knowing that there was more to tell. Taktuq... You and the others of Easthollow need to know that she was attacked by two wolves. They threatened her with violence should she try to return to Easthollow, he explained, knowing the information was sour. His face was lined with a deep frown.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette realized in that moment she was becoming old. Blackfeather woods. Gosh she remembered when a pack was settled there, a pack like Ursus. Her father had been one of them. It had been the reason she couldn't look at him for the first few years of her life. Now a new pack was settling there. She slowly nodded. "Oh I know that location. Season ago another pack was settled there, named after those woods. They did not have a good reputation. So older wolves like might assume they have returned," she told him. "Perhaps good to know if someone is ever apprehensive and my age you will know why."

Valette smiled, she would think so too. Especially with Ursus being annoying the female was glad for alliances. She motioned for the male to follow her. Valette didn't feel the need to throughly question him. He smelled of Takiyok whom she met. Since he was family of Siarut and he had married into hers she saw them as extended family. There was no question about it. She was just glad Siarut stayed in Easthollow instead raising her sister's pups with them. Though, apparently Taktuq had not been able to make it unscratched it seemed. "Are her injuries mild?," she questioned. She hoped so at least. She guided him up the hill into the stone circle, with the views out on the snowy plains. "Stone Circle," she explained. "Those two stones with one on top? Sia's mate lies to rest there. This is where we bring them to the earth, so we can be reminded of what they stood for in life."
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Taikon nodded. Taki mentioned something about that, he said. He didn't really have full details on it, but it didn't surprise him that a spooky place with a weird-ass tree in the middle of it had once harboured the unkind and unjust. To be honest, Taikon didn't fully trust anyone who called the Ivory Rose home, but he assumed much of that was because of Zephyr's strange, almost two-faced nature. Around Takiyok he was fine. Around him, not so much. The rest of them he didn't know much of at all. Rowan was a strange sort, though it was hard to figure out exactly what it was that made the prince feel uncomfortable.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm hoping that Zephyr and the other leaders will be able to give a better impression, he said, though to be honest, he had some doubts after everything that had happened. The image of Zephyr writhing about in pain after visiting the tree was still very much bothering him. He didn't like that he and Takiyok had joined a pack of youngsters to keep Taktuq safe.
She's okay physically, he answered, still following along in step near her side. The smells were unfamiliar, and so often, his nose would twitch at the novelty. As Valette pointed out the Stone Circle, Taikon's mouth opened. When she described the importance of the stones, he swallowed uncomfortably. Takiyok had told him only that she had died when the children were quite young. The way Valette spoke of her, it was as though the two were not sisters. Taikon wondered if the names of the dead had special meaning to those of the north, or those of Easthollow.
Taikon, a son of knowledge and secularism, had never been one to understand rituals, though he knew their importance to others. Taki mentioned.. that she passed when the children were very young. I am sorry, he breathed, looking carefully toward her, meaning his words.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded at the male. It was good that they knew or at least were aware. She wondered why they would want to settle there, but she felt that such a thing was not for her to question. The female dipped her head. "I hope so too," she admitted. "We have enough trouble with Ursus and I am not looking forward to another terrorizing pack," she sighed.

The matriarch nodded. "Understandable. I hope that she mentally also recovers," Valette sighed. "But losing their mother so young... I've tried to raise them with all the love I have but even that might not be enough," she sighed sadly at the other. She looked at Nanook's stone and nodded to the male.

"She was remarkable, my sister. She died protecting them," Valette told him. "She made an incredible journey throughout her life, always so strong and ready to fight. So we have her stone here to remember Nanook." She looked at the male and then realized. "I offered you food, didn't I?" she realized then. "Be right back."

The female trotted off into the woods, letting him sit by their passed loved ones. She thought it would be good to have them watch over him. Valette returned swiftly with a large bison hind leg. She could barely carry it. She placed it by his feet. "Please tell Taktuq that I love her?"
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
It made sense to Taikon that Valette had taken over the rearing of the children when her sister had passed, but it hadn't been something he'd realized had happened until she said it. There was no doubt in his mind then that she must have cared dearly for Taktuq. Likely her absence had been worrying her just as much as Siarut. Taikon looked at the stone when the tender-hearted woman did, frowning for a moment, but finding his spirits brightened by the recollection of Siarut's late wife. He wondered silently what she had been protecting them from and whether Ursus had been involved with trying to harm the children.
Taikon wished that he might have met this woman who had pushed hard to make a life for her children. Nanook. What a pretty name. He looked on in silence, unable to recall a memory of this person and wishing that he had stepped into Takiyok's life sooner.
O-oh, he answered to her realization, lost in thought. But before he could stop her, she was off, and he was left alone with the stones.
Taikon sat down, exhausted from his trip and feeling rather out of place in this clearly sacred area. He looked at Nanook's stone, wishing silently that he might have been available during her time of need. Taktuq had had a rough beginning and a rough middle. He wondered if she would ever recover, but knew that only with time and healing could they find out. She was a strong girl like Takiyok, but Taikon wished that she didn't have to be. Now was the time for girls to discover themselves and learn what they loved. It was supposed to be a time for crushes on boys that didn't matter and angry outbursts over nothing. Instead, Taktuq was practicing avoidance, just like Taki had done in the past.
When Valette returned, she was carrying a massive prize from a kill. He would have offered to help, but instead he just stood there and stared wide-eyed. When she set it down, he was about ready to cry. Wow, uh, thank you. This is very gracious of you, he said, and did not hesitate in leaning down to eat, pulling the meat from the huge bone in large bites. He stopped for a moment to speak. I don't know what Taktuq's attackers looked like, she hasn't said much. I worry that they're still around though. Do you think it could have been Ursus?
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Taikon is so CUTE!

Valette smiled when she brought the meal to the weary traveler. It always did her good to provide and help. She always had been a caring mother bear to everyone really. They had lower numbers these days and a lot of meat was leftover while everyone had their fill and a little more afterward. So they could spare the leg. That was something that did go well. Valette had been settled in this area for four years now, and she knew it by heart. She knew the bison herd, like it was her own pack. Hunting them had become easier with the right wolves in her hunting party.

"You are welcome. If you are family of Siarut then I see you as my own family," she told him. She sat down and nodded slowly when he spoke his suspicion. "It most likely could be. I would be surprised if it wouldn't be them," she spoke darkly. "They have been bothering us, although last month it had been quiet..." She looked over to Bearclaw Valley. "I am hoping to go by our allies and ask if they want to help us. The only thing I am worried about is that I will make it worse, and get a target on my back. I really don't want my senior days to constantly look over my shoulder," she admitted.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
<3

Family? Taikon realized then that his intentions with Takiyok were obvious, or perhaps Valette believed him to be a brother. To be honest, Takiyok was already someone he considered family. He wanted to do something special to tell her properly, to show her in some what that he was ready to commit to her forever. This trip to Easthollow had been the first part of that, but there was more he wanted to show her with actions.
He listened, knowing well that asking for help could incite fear and then pushback from others. He frowned as he ate, stopping again to answer her. You hardly look senior to me, he said, smiling a bit. He was rather biased, not realizing that his own age was beginning to show. But I understand; you don't want pushback from others when you ask for help. Who are your allies? Perhaps I can help.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
The matriarch indeed assumed that he was somehow related to Siarut, but then again even if he was just part of the pack Valette considered that family. Her members were part of her family while they might not be related. Valette was quick to be flattered by the male though and chuckled. "Well, my mate is older than me so perhaps I do feel older than that I am," she grinned. The female quirked up her lips.

"Kaistleoki, Moonspear, and Legion... And well perhaps your pack as well, Ivory Rose," she spoke, that sounded like a lot but Moonspear had to come from far. Plus she didn't' want to pressure them into a war or massive battle. "It is just tough. Especially as a leader to pick the right path."
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Taikon ate as she explained, savouring the rich, fatty meat. He had never eaten bison before, though he had heard of the creatures. He knew that they were very large, that it took great skill and teamwork to bring one down. This made him appreciate the food all the more, though he did not let it distract him from what Valette told him.
We are not many, just yet, he inserted briefly, knowing that they did not have the numbers to run the pack across the mountains to assist against Ursus. However, Moonspear was nearby, and that meant the Glen had plenty of able bodies. If Zephyr would allowed him, he would eagerly volunteer against such brutes to protect Takiyok's family, provided Taktuq was settled and okay. I understand, he said, though he had known only cruelty and stupidity in the leaders before, with the exception of Artyom. Zephyr was still someone he was deciding on. It was difficult to keep everything straight.
Moonspear has grown large. They have taken Firefly Glen, and from what I know, there are a lot of them, he explained. But once aggression is fully unleashed, there is no turning back. It was a warning in the shape of basic advice. However, it was advice that he had seen many, including Wylla, throw to the wind. Taikon had little doubt that starting wars they could not finish or win had been the detriment of many packs.
He wanted to suggest relocating, knowing that Sagtannet was also on this side of the mountains and that most of the allied packs were on the other. However, he had spoken enough to a leader; she was a woman who might have been like others and not taken advice well from a practical stranger.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
She knew that Moonspear was large and that Firefly glen was almost a sister or brother pack. Since her own daughter resided there. Nikai had told her that. She nodded at his wisdom. "That is what I fear," she commented to him at the last part. "I don't feel much for violence but I don't want them to walk over me and chase me out. It has been wearing my mind," she admitted. "But I will find a solution to it. I know it." She spoke confidently.

She watched him enjoy the meal. First, she would need to go and talk to her allies before she would make any decisions. Plus travel would do her well, settle her thoughts. Valette had sunken into thought again. It was when conversation had really halted she came back to it. "I apologize," she spoke to the male. "Lots on my mind these days," she just sighed, but from the most he already knew.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
You will, he concurred softly in between bites of food. Even though Taikon had never been in a real position of power, he had seen many struggle with it. He had seen it abused. He knew that Ursus were not wolves to be taken lightly, for though he had only ever had a run in with one, the stories about them reached far across the Teekons. If Easthollow and Spook's pack had not managed to snuff them out or at least force them to let up, Taikon was not sure that even the triad of Moonspear, the Glen, and Easthollow could manage it. To do so would require much of Moonspear's finest to travel a great distance to assist, leaving them open for attach from the Saints.
When she gave an apology, he shook his head. He did much the same thing when he thought aloud. There's lots in the world these days, so it makes sense there would be lots on your mind, he half-joked, grinning a bit and nodding.
He continued knowledge-sharing, even though he didn't know if any of it would be of use to Valette or Siarut. Taki and I were on our way from Sagtannet when we found Taktuq, he said, licking his lips nervously and scrunching his brow. Mahler is.. unstable. Wylla left, and I worry what state that's left Sagtannet in, he explained. He left out the part where he'd been thrown out and Takiyok sided with him, even though he didn't think he felt any shame for it. He tried his best to keep the information relevant to Easthollow as a whole.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette offered a kind smile at the male. She was glad that even a relative stranger believed in her. That was nice. She was also glad for his understanding. Valette really sympathized with the male, because she felt that there was a lot more struggle in their world lately. Not only from other packs, but also from Mother Nature itself.

Valette listened to Taikon's wisdom. He spoke of Sagtannet and Mahler but wasn't sure if she knew them. But she listened, and realized that every leader had its hardships. "Leadership can take its toll on a wolf. It is not easy to carry such a responsibility," she nodded. "Luckily we do have friends so if everything goes wrong we can count on them."
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Valette was a good listener. Part of him was still thankful that he hadn't needed to properly meet Siarut at the border. Valette had been very generous, and Taikon had felt nervous about meeting the brother that Taki had so strongly suggested might be... less than pleased to see him. He hoped only that the pack would be able to do something about whoever had pushed Taktuq away and threatened her. He hoped that the threats had been empty, but given Taktuq's traumatized status, he worried if they might have done more than she had originally let on.
He nodded, though he didn't think Mahler deserved any real sympathy, nor Wylla. As far as he was concerned, the both of them had been warmongering idiots, and he was glad to be rid of them, even if it meant a lack of stability. His only regret was that Takiyok had jumped off the sinking ship with him, and now they seemed to be in a ship that didn't know which way was north or south.
Consider me one of those friends, he said easily. He didn't know her well. He didn't need to. I'll talk to the leaders of the Ivory Rose when I get back. It's likely we are too few to spare any fighters to keep Ursus back, but if you and yours ever need a place to rest, I am sure they will be open. It was an easy, albeit empty offer. He was not a leader. He did not get to make those calls.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette smiled at the offer. She gracefully dipped her head at the other. "Thank you, Taikon," she commented. It was nice to think that they had so many that had their backs. Valette was certain that it was because she had always been respectful of other wolves, unlike Ursus had. "I will soon travel to Moonspear and then I know more. I will see if I can visit you on my way back," she spoke with a nod. Then they would have the info right away, and she could perhaps speak to Taikon's leader. Try and convince them.

Wrap up here? :) <3
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
He gonna be so sad she died T____T

Of course, he answered, continuing to eat as Valette described her plans. I'll look forward to it. For the time being, he would rest for a day or two in Easthollow. She was rather like extended family, he figured.
They stayed there for a time, largely in silence as Taikon finished as much of the massive amount of food she had brought for him. He cached the rest of it for others to partake, and found a pleasant place under the stars to sleep. It was a welcome reprieve from the long journey. He wished that he had known more details about Taktuq's attackers and could help to point them out, or do something about Ursus. But, instead he would have to be satisfied with a brief and pleasant adventure given the poor circumstances.