Stone Circle tell the world that i'm coming home
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
All Welcome 
Nikai and Keres arrived at Easthollow's borders at the end of the afternoon. Their journey had taken a bit longer because of Nikai's missing leg, but they had got there eventually. Nikai's body ached, for though the mountain had gotten him more used to travelling on difficult terrain, he was no longer used to long trips. This journey had unlocked a lot of thoughts and feelings for Nikai; he loved being on the road again, he loved travelling again. Besides, returning to Easthollow brought back a lot of homesickness. He'd spent the last year at Moonspear, and he found himself longing for Easthollow. A part of him wished they'd never left it. A prolonged stay had turned into a forever-stay and maybe it was time he and Alya discussed the future when he returned, to see if travelling or moving back to Easthollow was an option in the future.

As he arrived at the borders, Nikai left it up to @Keres whether or not she joined Nikai or took some rest nearby while Nikai spoke with his mother. He lifted his nose to call for @Valette and waited for her then, feeling giddy to see his mother again after all this time and tell her how well everyone was doing on the western side of the valleys. He didn't intend to stay for long, of course, but he couldn't deny that it felt great to be home again, for however short.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
SO SORRY I MISSED THIS!

Valette lifted her head at the familiar call. Nikai. She knew right away. The matriarch ran to the border to meet him. Nikai always had a special place in her heart. Her first son. She broke down in a trot once she saw them. "Nikai!," she breathed excitedly and came upon him with an excited whine. She nosed him happily in greeting, tail wagging.

"So good to see you, to what do I owe this visit?," she asked him. She was very happy with his visit, but she knew that from Moonspear it was quite a distance so when he moved to Moonspear she didn't think she would see him again. But there he was, and looking good.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai smiled when it was his mother that came into view. His tail wagged and as she came closer he greeted her with a happy β€” Mom! β€” and he returned the nosing with a cheerful disposition to match his mother's. An onlooker might find it hard to believe that they were not related by blood, considering their similar demeanours in that moment; Valette had taught Nikai well.

She asked to what she owed the visit and Nikai was quick to say, Nothing special, I just wanted to see you. It's been so long. Alya had visited in the meantime, but it wasn't the same to hear news from home compared to actually going over. Alya's on a scouting mission of her own, so I decided to drop by home. Nikai had some news, too, of course, but nothing too urgent. And of course, to let you know that Leta's doing really well. The Saints have moved in closer and Hydra wanted to let you know that the wolves you've been having trouble with in Bearclaw Valley have no known allies right now. He hated breaking news first, as he really just wanted to know how his mother was doing, but it would have to wait until the important news was out.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was really glad to see him, and it showed. Nikai seemed just as happy to see her. She really appreciated that he came to visit her. It did her well. She was almost a bit emotional by it all. Her first pup. To Valette he was so much her own son that she had memories of birthing him. As crazy as it was to think of it like that, but she could only see Nikai as her own. "I really appreciate that Nikai. I've missed you," she commented.

"I'm glad to hear that. I hope she made friends at Moonspear. A new surrounding will do her well," she smiled with a soft nod. "The Saints?!," she sounded shocked. "Arbiter recently was at our borders to warm me about them. Apparently they are very dangerous. Tell Hydra to watch out for them," she breathed. She hoped that horrible Saints didn't do anything to Moonspear. "Okay, so at least those Saints aren't allies of Ursus. That is good." It made her think that if she had Legion, Moonspear, and Kaistleoki they might be able to chase out that horrible Ursus... But... then she would have a target on her back the rest of her life...

"Please tell me you and Alya will have pups this year?!," she asked, wanting to change the topic into something pleasant. Maybe she should drop by Moonspear to see Hydra, travel back with Nikai.... But who would watch over the pack? Maybe West would?
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
I've missed you too, Nikai said softly while he nuzzled his mother's cheek. It felt so good to be back home, so much that he felt an instant pull to stay a bit longer. However, he also had Keres along and it would be good to rest for a day or so, but they really needed to head back home at some point, too. She would probably disagree with staying very long. Besides, the longer he stayed here, the more he felt like he wanted to stay longer and longer.

Before dwindling to the more shocking subjects that he had to share, Nikai wanted to stick to talking about Leta a bit longer. Actually, Leta's joined the pack that Osiris, one of Hydra's sons has started. It's in Firefly Glen, right next door to Moonspear. She seems to have really found a place of her own there.

Then they went onto the more serious subjects. Nikai nodded when Valette said to warn Hydra for them. Will do. And it was good that they weren't allied with Ursus, indeed. Yeah. I hope that'll give you guys some reprieve from those Ursus wolves. Nikai frowned. He'd heard a thing or two, although he didn't know much specifics. He just knew that they had been a pain in the ass. Hopefully them not being allied with the Saints would help them to stop harassing Easthollow so much. It was unimaginable to Nikai why they would act that way.

He was less worried about Moonspear in regards to the Saints. Moonspear was powerful and had powerful allies. They were with many. So many that Nikai wondered as he was here if maybe they should help Easthollow sometime; defeat their enemies for good. It was tough though, since Easthollow was not as warring as Moonspear could be; was bloodshed really an excuse for more bloodshed? Nikai liked to think not.

When Valette said that he and Alya should have puppies this year, Nikai half-laughed, half-shouted, Mom! with an embarrassed chuckle. We uh, we don't know yet. He thought of how Alya always seemed eager about it, but when it came down to it, it often just didn't happen. He felt it was a sensitive subject, and so they hadn't talked about it very much. We want to. But it was clear from the tone in his voice that it wasn't certain in any way. We do. I hope it'll happen this year. Nikai smiled at his mother, though there was some sadness to his face. He did not need children, honestly; he'd be fine teaching all of his nephews and nieces their way in life, too. But he did need Alya to be honest about it with him, and now it felt that the subject of children was one that always sort of hung between them, mostly unspoken of, where no decisions were made.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was surprised to hear that. "Osiris' his pack? Hydra's son? Has another one of my children fallen for a Moonspearian?," she chuckled. Perhaps she should move closer one day so she could see all her kids easier. But then she would have to leave her stones and that was something she was unable to do. The female was glad that her daughter had found a good home. She deserved it. "I am so happy for her."

Valette dipped her head. Perhaps one day they would get rid of them. It wouldn't hurt that Hyrda knew they were in trouble. Luckily the topic shifted and the female quirked up her lips. "Hey, I still like to become a grandmother one day," she chuckled, then again, she wanted to become a grandma the right way. Nikai seemed old enough to have pups now. "It would be nice, but if you want to wait a year or more that is fine with me too. I just assumed," she admitted to him.

"Come, you should meet Nanook's--" she stopped. "Nikai... Have... Have you heard about Nanook? Because she died fighting a cougar to protect me and her pups," she explained. "And-- Clay he... We found him dead as well. Leta's brother. She should know." She looked sad and sighed. She was almost used to it by now. "Arlette's mate died as well at the cougar attack."
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai actually wasn't so sure what the status was between Osiris and Leta. He hadn't really considered that there might be something more at play until his mother mentioned it. Hm.. I hadn't really thought about it much, but now that you mention it... Maybe? Nikai thought to himself that he should make some time to see his sister after he would return home. He understood Valette's dilemma very much; he, too, felt the pull and tug of these stones and he honestly wished that he could stay within the territory a bit longer instead of return to Moonspear right away. Easthollow would always be more home to him than here.

Nikai chuckled along as Valette said she wanted to become a grandmother. I'd like to become a father, he admitted to his mother. He and Alya talked about this sometime, though lately not as much. Perhaps it was time to revisit the conversation. Things've been well enough, but I feel sometimes as if that's a tricky subject. I'm not sure if she's scared or if there's something else. It's hard to talk about. Nikai shifted his weight uncomfortably as he said it. He didn't need advice necessarily, but he still hoped that perhaps his mother had some wisdom to share.

She started mentioning Nanook's β€” children, presumably? But then halted mid-sentence and asked if he had heard about Nanook. Nikai frowned β€” he hadn't heard, it must've gotten lost somewhere in all the news that had been shared between packs in the last months, what with everything that was going on β€” and he moved in to nuzzle his mother's cheek. Oh, no... I'm so sorry, she said solemnly. Not just Nanook, but Clay, too, as well as Arlette's mate. That's a lot, he said, soft-spoken words accompanied by a heavy sigh.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette chuckled, usually when a female would follow a male that was the case. Then again, it hadn't been with her and Steady at first. It started when they raised Nikai and Keoni. Such a long time ago. She was so young, look at Nikai now. "Do you remember Steady?," she asked then, perhaps a bit randomly for him. She was just curious, as he was one of the few that lived with him, for a bit. Unless--- Maybe he died before Nikai really got to know him. She wasn't sure anymore. The past was starting to blur.

"I think you would make a good father," she nodded happily. Then Nikai revealed that it was hard to talk about with Alya. She slowly nodded. "That can be difficult," she nodded. "I never had problems with it myself but some female's don't want pups or find the process hard to think about," she admitted. "I wouldn't mind promoting to her how great pups are," she offered. "But I think this is something you two need to talk about," she admitted.

It turns out that Nikai didn't know about all the deaths recently. "It was, still is. But, I know they didn't die for nothing. Plus Nanook wouldn't have died any other way. She defended her children and that was what mattered to her," Valette sighed and then tried to cheer herself up. "It just reminds me that I am glad for the wolves that are still here. Come, you probably want some food and a rest."
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Steady? Yeah, of course. Even though he had never judged her for it, Nikai had often felt like all the men that Valette had encountered since him were an attempt to fill a space left hollow by his father's untimely departure. Greyback was the only one who seemed to have stuck (a thing for which Nikai was grateful). They hadn't too often spoken of Steady again; Nikai wondered what brought about these thoughts now. In return, Nikai had also often kept his thoughts of missing his sister to himself, often talking to her by the stones alone. Perhaps that's why he missed home so much.

Valette was right that he and Alya needed to talk about having pups; or not having them. The latter wasn't out of the question. Nikai really wanted pups of his own, but if it wasn't with Alya, though..? He wasn't too sure.

I'm glad for the wolves that are still here, too, Nikai said solemnly as he thought of those that they lost; Steady, Keoni, and this year many more to be buried beneath the stones. Yeah, I could eat.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette sighted softly. "It has been such a long time and with no one close to me remembering him it almost felt as if it was a dream. Something I imagined," she admitted to Nikai. But he was a stark reminder that the male had been real. She had raised Nikai with him after all. Nikai always made her remember her younger years in a good way. "I look back on them fondly," she assured him. The ache of losing Steady was less. She mostly remembered all the good things about him.

Valette smiled and nodded. "It always brings me much joy to see you,' she hummed and then guided him into the territory. Nikai was no stranger to it. "Why don't you go to the stones, and I will fetch a meal for you in the meanwhile," she told him. Then he could be with the stones for a bit and perhaps say a few things to his sister who was buried there. She howled to the pack that she had a visitor and that Nikai was safe, for the ones that didn't know him.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai frowned as Valette said that Steady felt like a dream. He understood what she meant β€” he felt a little like that sometimes, too, as he'd only known the man as he grew up, never truly as an adult β€” but it just seemed as if it didn't do him enough justice. At the same time, it made so much sense. Even just coming up with a memory of them all together was difficult. At least we have each other to remember him by, murmured Nikai thoughtfully.

Valette said he could go to the stones and she would bring him something to eat. Thanks, I'd love that, Nikai said with a nod. He longed to see Keoni again. He'd always made a habit out of speaking to his sister. There were so many things that they should've done together, so many memories they didn't get to make. Where with Steady Nikai missed him most when he had a rough time, with Keoni Nikai missed her most when he had a good time and he knew that she should've been there with him to celebrate it and make those memories with him.

As he walked to the stones Nikai thought about Steady more, following their conversation, and he thought they should talk more about him. He thought back to the time they'd all huddled together for the snow storms, in his and Keoni's first winter. It was one of those memories that he had forgotten about until now, as he walked towards the stones. He had many other memories, though most of them were of his mother β€” sliding down snow hills, getting shown paw prints in the snow... They had done much together. Nikai sat down by Keoni's stone and closed his eyes. He let out a heavy sigh and was silent as the memories of Steady, Valette and Keoni β€” of growing up together β€” passed his mind like clouds in the skies.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette returned to the stones with some meat for Nikai. She liked to provide for her children. She took her time while getting his food so he had all the time he wanted to spend with his sister. She didn't want to interrupt anything. The matriarch returned with a piece of bison, all of Nikai. She placed it by his feet and sat down herself. It was Nikai and Keoni that triggered her love for being a mother. They had really altered her path. She loved it, it was good to remember the past. So that is what she did, remember the past and chat with Nikai about it.

- end for me! -
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai smiled as his mother returned to him and he was glad to get some food in. He mentally noted he should bring some to Keres as well, and ask his mother if she, too, could stay for a little while. It felt good to be home. Nikai was glad to be able to share with Valette all the memories they had of Steady, and Keoni. It had been so long since he'd spoken of either of them to anyone. It was different when it was someone who didn't know them; to still have someone in his life who still had known both of them was good. It made Nikai long all the more for home.