Bearclaw Valley c
37 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
All Welcome 
gonna backdate this like a week so I can go join other thingz

ooooh, i haven't slept like that in YEARS! 

jaylen yawned and stretched each of his limbs, groggily pulling himself out of the den that had served him through the winter. well- he thought it was through the winter- until he was outside, planting a heavy foot into snow and blinking in surprise. wasn't it a bit early for him to be up? but he felt his sleepiness rapidly fading, and wasn't sure if he could go back to bed now. and so jaylen began to make his way through the valley, moving slowly in the direction of his favorite fish pond a mile or so away.
this character may be prone to hugging strangers.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
UM YES PLZ

Ashlar slipped quietly through the territory, but as he walked, he hummed.  A slow, sad tune, something that comforted him though.  He'd quite liked the girl who had hunted the squirrels with him, and @Avicus' and @Snowskip's departures had removed two of the few friendships he shared here.  Merrick's company he found both terrifying and intriguing.  It was now the only real bond he had here save the man he had first followed.

He walked with less fear as the forest had grown familiar, and the faces within in inspired less fear now that he knew them to be Merrick's like.  The Great Bear, he thought silently.  The idea of it entranced the silver-gilded bard and he delighted in forming tunes around it's image.  This song was just a melody though, a song for a missing princess.

He hummed a low note, then upticked it into harmony.  It was beautiful but choked to silence as a dark shape lumbered before him, forcing Ashlar to a terrified crouch.  He looked on with wide and astonished rapture as the behemoth figure moved; he'd never seen anything like it.
37 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
eventually a note settled into his ears so comfortably that he thought it might be the drifting song of the wind, until it stopped suddenly and his fur was still blown about. jaylen turned, swiveling his wide head around until he caught sight of the dark male crouched to the earth. a wolf- merrick's family! hi, wolf! why are you looking... those wide eyes, the crouch... surprised? did i scare you? sorry? jaylen laughed apologetically.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
The creature spoke to him.  Ashlar's admiration only grew when the boy realized that this bear was kind.  He was transfixed for a long moment before he finally withdrew the sense to speak.  I.. you... you're so big.  He stammered out, then felt a deep embarassment take root immediately.

Sorry.  He added quietly, flushing.  He did not know how to speak to such a magnificent being as this.  Was this the Great Bear that Merrick had spoken of?  Would he be in trouble for speaking with it then?  Ashlar's tail tucked, but he couldn't help glancing back up every few moments.  He hadn't expected the god to ever share words with him, nor to greet him with an apology even!
37 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
he was quiet for a bit before he spoke, but jaylen smiled wider when he did. me, big? you shoulda seen my pa! he chortled with a little shake of his head, though he was blushing beneath his fur at what would be a compliment for any bear. the brown bear tilted his head at the apology, sorry for what? i'm enjoying your company already, jaylen hummed, do you... are you merrick's family, too? a real curiosity. jaylen thought all packwolves were family, but some were more real family than others, and the bear couldn't tell by looking at him if this boy was young enough to be another son or not.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Ashlar was slowly and wonderfully delighted by how kindly this bear spoke.  If he was truly the bear god, then no wonder Merrick and his family held such reverence!  He was large enough to overwhelm Ashlar easily, yet he chose to greet him and laugh instead.

He was flattered and embarrassed by the implication that he might be Merrick's family though.  He flushed and smiled, looking down.  Oh, n..no!  I'm just..... I just am a m..member.  He responded a little quietly.  But w... maybe, a friend?  The addition he made with a little more confidence.

Do you live here?  He hadn't known the bear was so literal in living here, but now his mind raced.  Did he like music?  Should Ashlar make him a song?
37 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
a member- did that not make him part of the family? but ashlar identified himself as a friend instead, and jaylen nodded understandingly. oh, just like me- i'm his friend too, jaylen chirped with a slow blink. oh, yes, i live here! well, i've been asleep for... a little while, but i have a little den somewhere. i guess we're neighbors, then! he explained, and continued, i think there are other bears too, but i haven't really met them, and there he laughed with a little bit of embarrassment. but merrick's friends and family keep me company. i'm glad.
600 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Other bears.  Ashlar's eyes widened a bit, and he immediately wanted to ask if they were also kind, but the bear clarified he had never met them.  I'm Ashlar!  He said suddenly as the realization hit him that he had rudely not said nor asked.  The sudden volume startled even him, however, and he curtailed it when he asked, What's your n..name?

Merrick and his friends, friends to this bear.  This entire meeting felt like a dream to Ashlar.  The bear king and silent queen were so intimidating, it made sense that they'd be a friend to bears and even more impressive creatures.  But for Ashlar, by association, to be accounted a friend too? He'd never been so flattered, and for a brief moment, he was completely caught up with the emotion of it.  His eyes shone.

You need a song, he said, beaming.  It was the only way Ashlar knew how to show his gratitude.